Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 17 Sep 2019, 00:41
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
wish list for next puppy release
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 25 of 26 [377 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 23, 24, 25, 26 Next
Author Message
amj

Joined: 28 Jan 2011
Posts: 75

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jan 2017, 07:33    Post subject:  

I would like to suggest a small expansion of the JWM configuration manager.

There are currently six options, the one I miss is the opportunity to change, via a GUI, the fonts that JWM uses.

I'm an English speaker an use an EN locale, but I also have large numbers of files with non-latin names.

Whenever I install a Puppy/Quirky system, I install a unicode font and then edit /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme in order to change the font for Window style, Task List style and Popup style so that my non-latin file names will display correctly in JWM windows and on the panel.

As a Puppy newbie in 2009 I had no trouble installing a unicode font and getting a correct display of non-latin file names throughout Puppy - except for JWM. I put up with gibberish on window headers and the panel for a long time before finally hunting down the configuration file I needed to hack to fix the problem.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
LazY Puppy


Joined: 21 Nov 2014
Posts: 2007
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jan 2017, 11:55    Post subject:  

Changes made into /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme will disappear next time when changing the JWM theme.

Better find out what's the original of /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme (to be found in /root/.jwm/themes) and doing the changes in original theme file (also).

I think this may be also the cause why there' isn't a option to change fonts from within JWM configuration manager, as there could be different ways used to set the font related to the theme definition file in /root/.jwm/themes?

_________________
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) Laughing

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
steff99

Joined: 09 Mar 2017
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Thu 09 Mar 2017, 17:10    Post subject: X Precise 64?  

Hi How about X- precise 64?
X -precise was the easiest possible puppy to use. it would run almost anything, had a frisbee connection manager, and was so simple to use, I could use it with my eyes closed.

Precise is amazing, in fact puppy is amazing. it fills the huge gap in the OS market very well, especially for people with older machines, people who transport their OS around the world, and people who like to run in ram.

the problem is that ram is becoming very easy to come by.
most people have 16gb of ram and even that is starting to increase.

puppy fills the void for slower machines, but what about the faster, powerful machines?

I download fatdog 64 recently but I ran into a torrent of problems trying to install 64 bit apps. fatdog made a good attempt at it, but I simply could find all the apps in the repo, and I ended up trying to run slacko 14.1 versions, with limited results.

fatdog, - or anydog, particularly precise with an xfce desktop and thunar manager would be a very powerful but simple OS to use.
and the 64bit version would allow people to copy and paste large file into ram much more easily.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Wildman69


Joined: 26 Mar 2017
Posts: 35

PostPosted: Tue 11 Apr 2017, 20:37    Post subject:  X86
Subject description: Feeling left out
 

My Hardware is old yet reliable and I can not afford a new 64 bit computer.
I am unable to boot the new "uefi" ISOs.

So Please do not leave out Folks like me.

I don't want to go back to "WinBlows".

My System:
PC Manufacturer: Compaq-Presario
Product Name: GN578AA-ABA SR5233WM

Motherboard Vendor: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Product Name: Lancaster8

BIOS Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
Version: 5.19
Release Date: 03/04/2008

Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz
Max Speed: 2800 MHz
Current Speed of Core 0:2800 MHz, 1:2800 MHz

Frequency governor : ondemand
Freq. scaling driver : acpi-cpufreq

Total RAM: 3028 MB

Linux Kernel: 4.9.13 (i686)
Kernel Version: #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Mar 9 09:27:40 GMT 2017
PAE Enabled: No

Distro: wildman69pup 7.0.6
Window Manager: JWM v2.3.5

Thank You.
HAND
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Robert123

Joined: 20 May 2016
Posts: 374
Location: Pacific

PostPosted: Wed 12 Apr 2017, 01:04    Post subject:  

Hi Wildman.

Have you looked at this still being developed.
https://archive.org/details/s57-2017b

_________________
Devuan Linux, Stardust 013 (4.31) updated https://archive.org/details/Stardustpup013glibc2.10
s57(2018)barebonehttps://sourceforge.net/projects/puppy-linux-minimal-builds/files/s57%282018%29barebones.iso/download
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
ttuuxxx


Joined: 05 May 2007
Posts: 11240
Location: Ontario Canada,Sydney Australia

PostPosted: Wed 12 Apr 2017, 05:14    Post subject: Re: X86
Subject description: Feeling left out
 

Wildman69 wrote:
My Hardware is old yet reliable and I can not afford a new 64 bit computer.
I am unable to boot the new "uefi" ISOs.

So Please do not leave out Folks like me.

I don't want to go back to "WinBlows".

My System:
PC Manufacturer: Compaq-Presario
Product Name: GN578AA-ABA SR5233WM

Motherboard Vendor: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Product Name: Lancaster8

BIOS Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
Version: 5.19
Release Date: 03/04/2008

Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz
Max Speed: 2800 MHz
Current Speed of Core 0:2800 MHz, 1:2800 MHz

Frequency governor : ondemand
Freq. scaling driver : acpi-cpufreq

Total RAM: 3028 MB

Linux Kernel: 4.9.13 (i686)
Kernel Version: #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Mar 9 09:27:40 GMT 2017
PAE Enabled: No

Distro: wildman69pup 7.0.6
Window Manager: JWM v2.3.5

Thank You.
HAND

have you tried stretch? http://smokey01.com/ttuuxxx/WoofCe/stretch-7.0.0a1.iso
ttuuxxx

_________________
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
8Geee


Joined: 12 May 2008
Posts: 2036
Location: N.E. USA

PostPosted: Wed 17 May 2017, 23:45    Post subject:  

Wildman69 Surprised)

What video (card) or chipset do you have running in that 'puter?

Most pups have Pup-Sys Info (PSI) in the menu. Click on the devices then display --> Video Info. (Thats the quick way)

Regards
8Geee

_________________
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
8Geee


Joined: 12 May 2008
Posts: 2036
Location: N.E. USA

PostPosted: Sun 21 May 2017, 13:14    Post subject:  

On topic:

I would like to see migration away from OpenSSL, and towards LibreSSL.
Older puppies are already using three defunct versions of OpenSSL; 0.9.8, 1.0.0, and 1.0.1.
OpenSSL 1.0.2 still has SSL2/3 TLS1.0 code in it, that will cause problems.

Regards
8Geee

_________________
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Elena


Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Sat 21 Oct 2017, 01:37    Post subject:  

If I had one (bold) wish for Puppy Linux in 2018, then being able to run it in RAM on an ARM singleboard computer.

Personally, an EOMA68 computer card will arrive here soonish (so it's a kinda selfish wish Sad ). But ODROID's are also fine and affordable, while Raspberry Pi's are agreeingly ubiquituous.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
olddog

Joined: 21 Dec 2016
Posts: 63
Location: UK

PostPosted: Wed 13 Feb 2019, 17:20    Post subject: Re: X Precise 64?  

steff99 wrote:
Hi How about X- precise 64?
X -precise was the easiest possible puppy to use. it would run almost anything, had a frisbee connection manager, and was so simple to use, I could use it with my eyes closed.

Precise is amazing, in fact puppy is amazing. it fills the huge gap in the OS market very well, especially for people with older machines, people who transport their OS around the world, and people who like to run in ram.

the problem is that ram is becoming very easy to come by.
most people have 16gb of ram and even that is starting to increase.

puppy fills the void for slower machines, but what about the faster, powerful machines?

I download fatdog 64 recently but I ran into a torrent of problems trying to install 64 bit apps. fatdog made a good attempt at it, but I simply could find all the apps in the repo, and I ended up trying to run slacko 14.1 versions, with limited results.

fatdog, - or anydog, particularly precise with an xfce desktop and thunar manager would be a very powerful but simple OS to use.
and the 64bit version would allow people to copy and paste large file into ram much more easily.


A very belated welcome to Planet Earth where, two years after you posted, most people still DON'T have 16GB of RAM, and many computers can't handle half or even a quarter of that.

And that is especially true of many Puppy users who like to run Puppy on older machines.

I have eight computers in working order. One can handle 32GB, but has 8. Two can handle 8, but have 4. Two can handle 4, and have 4 and 2. Three can handle 2, and have 0.5. 1.5, and 2.

I don't claim to be typical, but I should be surprised if Puppy users as a whole ran 6GB of RAM, let alone 16.

_________________
Linux novice with too many Thinkpads, mainly running Xenialpup
HP Laserjet Pro 1102W
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
s243a

Joined: 02 Sep 2014
Posts: 2072

PostPosted: Wed 13 Feb 2019, 20:36    Post subject: Re: X Precise 64?  

olddog wrote:

I don't claim to be typical, but I should be surprised if Puppy users as a whole ran 6GB of RAM, let alone 16.


On the machine that I have the most ram 8gb, I run windows with puppy as the guest in a virtual machine and windows 8.1 as the host.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Burn_IT


Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Posts: 3552
Location: Tamworth UK

PostPosted: Thu 14 Feb 2019, 08:48    Post subject:  

I would try that the other way round. You might be surprised.

I have always done it the other way round as it enabled me to have a "portable" full Windows install that I could use on client machines to repair their systems.

_________________
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
6502coder


Joined: 23 Mar 2009
Posts: 641
Location: Western United States

PostPosted: Thu 14 Feb 2019, 15:18    Post subject: Re: X Precise 64?  

olddog wrote:
A very belated welcome to Planet Earth where, two years after you posted, most people still DON'T have 16GB of RAM, and many computers can't handle half or even a quarter of that.

And that is especially true of many Puppy users who like to run Puppy on older machines.


So true. steff99 had me ROTFL. I have 5 Puppies/Puppys in routine use on 3 different computers, NONE of which have more than 1 GB RAM. Extreme as that is, I bet I'm still much closer to the average Puppy user than stef99.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
mikeslr


Joined: 16 Jun 2008
Posts: 3319
Location: 500 seconds from Sol

PostPosted: Thu 14 Feb 2019, 20:39    Post subject: Barebones  

I don't know if Woof or wiak's Gui can already do this. But,

Just a barebones of any flavor Puppy, perhaps having as "User-Apps" only a terminal and geany; but having access to a repo and all the necessary infra-structure applications for a user to take it from that state to wherever (s)he wants.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
zagreb999

Joined: 11 Apr 2014
Posts: 475
Location: Yugoslavija

PostPosted: Fri 15 Feb 2019, 19:02    Post subject:  

regards 6502coder

on my lenovo 1gb ram stretchdog and euclid5.iso
work with firefox 56 as- on my hp 8gb ram!!!

remaster in 30 seconds,
firefox 56 loads in 1 second!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 25 of 26 [377 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 23, 24, 25, 26 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0820s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0206s) ][ GZIP on ]