wish list for next puppy release

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
someSven

#331 Post by someSven »

Thanks for the hints, some of them are usefull, but I'm not talking how stuff works, but that it should be easier or happen automatically.
Alt+Tab
Thanks, but both should be working, if possible.
If you can still open a terminal and the mouse works, the application "xkill" might work for you. Or the command "restartwm", to restart the desktop instead of a full reboot.
No, I often get the problem of a complete freeze. My script is also not working yet, gonna try to improve it when I've time for that. I would so or so prefer to limit the ressources of programs instead of killing them.

Found something else: My notebook is not shutting down or going to sleep mode when batteries are empty. Seriously? Yeah, there may be a program for that, but this should be in the standard distro. Especially if you think of the problem that puppy can't fsck an encrypted filesystem at startup.

nubc

#332 Post by nubc »

Rolling release Puppy based on Manjaro 0.8.10 -Xfce, -Openbox, or -Net (minimal). Develop the derivative in beta until Manjaro 1.x comes out.

linuxcbon

#333 Post by linuxcbon »

ok some wishes :

- when installing to hard disk, it would be good to install a grub or syslinux or a bootloader.
- add steam by default (for games) , yes I know it's not open source and cannot be compiled...but would attract people to linux
- keyboard start menu key should work ! it's not right now...(solved)

...edited because I changed my mind and also solved one prob.
Last edited by linuxcbon on Sun 25 Oct 2015, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.

ASRI éducation

#334 Post by ASRI éducation »

linuxcbon wrote:- add steam by default (for games)
What is steam?
Projet ASRI éducation => [url=http://asri-education.org/]Association[/url] | [url=http://forum.asri-education.org/]Forum[/url] | [url=http://dl01.asri-education.org/]Dépôt[/url] | [url=http://kids.asri-education.org/]Espace kids[/url]

Colonel Panic

#335 Post by Colonel Panic »

linuxcbon wrote:ok some wishes :

- don't include abiword. It's buggy, it doesnt open or save my doc documents with images properly ...
- include firefox instead of seamonkey ? (ok I don't see many differences but people are used to firefox).
- when installing to hard disk, it would be good to install a grub or syslinux or a bootloader.
- add steam by default (for games) , yes I know it's not open source and cannot be compiled...but would attract people to linux
- keyboard start menu key should work ! it's not right now...
I agree with most of that, but the advantage of seamonkey over firefox is that it includes a basic e-mail program. (So does Opera, although the latest versions unfortunately aren't compatible with Puppy or even Linux; still, Opera 12.16 is pretty good).

Puppy also comes with Grub by default.

linuxcbon

#336 Post by linuxcbon »

ASRI éducation wrote:What is steam?
it's a platform for games.
Colonel Panic wrote:I agree with most of that, but the advantage of seamonkey over firefox is that it includes a basic e-mail program. (So does Opera, although the latest versions unfortunately aren't compatible with Puppy or even Linux; still, Opera 12.16 is pretty good).
Puppy also comes with Grub by default.
I don't think a lot of people use an email client, mostly use webmail now. As for grub, when installing puppy, it doesn't install any bootloader, you have to do it manually. Plus grub is buggy in precise (missing grub-probe).

ldvivier

On screen keyboard

#337 Post by ldvivier »

Good day

Not sure if I am missing it...but is there an onscreen keyboard bundled with PuppyLinux? Like Tahr or Precise or Lucid?

If I did miss it (using Tahr presently) I apologize...but otherwise I would just like to really recommend that it be standard install/bundled with all puppies.

It is one of those things that you NEEEEEEEVER need...until the day you REALLY REALLY REALLY need it... :)

Regards
Last edited by ldvivier on Sun 25 Oct 2015, 11:42, edited 1 time in total.

greengeek

Re: On screen keyboard

#338 Post by greengeek »

ldvivier wrote: is there an onscreen keyboard bundled with PuppyLinux? Like Tahr or Precise or Lucid?
The only one I am aware of is called "xvkbd" and it comes in various versions (some need extra dependencies). I use a cutdown version (english characters only) which has a small format that doesn't take up too much screen real estate. If you want to try it the download link is:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/9ggu2 ... ll-3.5.pet

If you find it doesnt run you can try typing xvkbd into a terminal and note any error messages regarding missing deps and we should be able to find them for you.

recobayu

#339 Post by recobayu »

You can try mukstart here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 024#859024
Feel free to improve that :D

linuxcbon

#340 Post by linuxcbon »

recobayu wrote:
You can try mukstart here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 024#859024
Feel free to improve that :D
I found some time ago :
edit .jwmrc
add this line in the "Key bindings" :
<Key keycode="115">root:3</Key>

restart jwm
Left windows key should work.

peterw

Working Touchpad

#341 Post by peterw »

Hi

Don't know if this is the right place to raise this. Chromebooks such as the Acer C720, HP14, Dell machines have a Cypress touch pad. After kernel 3.17 the "driver" for the touch pad is in the kernel. As I understand it, when the kernel is compiled this feature has to be set to be included in it. Most recent distros work well on Chromebooks but Puppy ones (with the exception of Fatdog) do not. I know that Fatdog is different from the rest in that is uses "Linux from Scratch" sources whilst other Puppys use Woof. Could Woof be amended to include the Touch Pad feature? I might have got this wrong but it is what I understand.

I believe that Chrome books are a natural machine for Puppy in that they are cheap, are more than powerful enough for Puppy, etc.

peterw

darry1966

#342 Post by darry1966 »

mavrothal

Re: Working Touchpad

#343 Post by mavrothal »

peterw wrote:I believe that Chrome books are a natural machine for Puppy in that they are cheap, are more than powerful enough for Puppy, etc.
Is on the way to "mainstream"
You can actually build a chromebook puppy today from the rk3288 woof-CE branch
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

peterw

Puppy runs OK on Chromebooks with Intel Processors

#344 Post by peterw »

Hi mavrothal

I have never had any success at compiling the kernel. I have read much about it and ended up totally confused. I even joined the git site because that is what I thought I had to do. Anyhow I will have another go. I think that Tahr could be used as a base and then try and recompile the kernel for it. I may need much help.

peterw

grr_argh

#345 Post by grr_argh »

I can't speak for whats on some of the newer pups, but on the long-term supported Price, here's the wishlist of an end user...

* Replace Seamonkey as the default browser with either Firedog or Chromium. I understand the desire to keep the Seamonkey suite as it offers a lot of applications in a compact size, but there are better alternatives out there. (see below)
* Include Sylpheed as an Email client.
* Replace Osmo with Sunbird.
* Rationalise the number of calculator programs. Currently there's four of them by default. Gcalculator would be the best one to retain, being the most user-friendly and intuitive, as well as having the most mature GUI.
* Same with the text editors (four of them!).
* Refresh the default desktop theme to something a more neutral/modern.
Precise Puppy 5.7.1 on Thinkpad X201 (such fast, very wow)

B.K. Johnson

#346 Post by B.K. Johnson »

grr_argh wrote:
Replace Seamonkey as the default browser with either Firedog or Chromium. I understand the desire to keep the Seamonkey suite as it offers a lot of applications in a compact size, but there are better alternatives out there
I use Seamonkey and Firefox. You give the benefits as a lot of applications in a compact size. You advocate Firedog or Chromium (neither of which I have used) but you give no reasons for your advocacy of them or name the "better alternatives out there". I've got an open mind; convince me to at least try one, both or anything else. While doing so, factor in the additional "weight" for an HTML editor to replace Composer in seamonkey. You know puppy's virtue of size, don't you? :wink:
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

6502coder

#347 Post by 6502coder »

grr_argh wrote:* Same with the text editors (four of them!).
WYSIWYG document prep, programming, and writing are three completely different tasks, so having at least three different kinds of "text editors" is justified.

eric52

#348 Post by eric52 »

I know it's old-fashioned, but I still use Puppy on DVD. It is slower than a pen drive, which I also use, but it is also far less expensive. I promote Puppy by providing a DVD with an OS configured appropriately to the particular needs of the recipient. Because SFS files don't load right from a DVD, I need to configure on a PET basis. New users don't want to hear instructions about loading SFS files after booting, and the dialogue screens are misleading and negative. Anyhow, Puppy seems to be moving away from the optical disk platform. I believe this is unfortunate, because I don't think any other OS devised robust persistence on a disk, and that makes the feature something of a hallmark. So I wish for a working SFS on disk or more PETS in future development, despite the backwardness of the technology.
Today only. Anger not. Worry not. Be grateful working karma. Be kind.

greengeek

#349 Post by greengeek »

eric52 wrote:Anyhow, Puppy seems to be moving away from the optical disk platform. I believe this is unfortunate, because I don't think any other OS devised robust persistence on a disk, and that makes the feature something of a hallmark. So I wish for a working SFS on disk or more PETS in future development, despite the backwardness of the technology.
I quite agree. Optical media can also be extremely valuable from the perspective of avoiding malware (if not using the persistence anyway). What could be better than a remastered pup on CD or DVD, loading extra pets as required - it gives excellent reliability, reproducibility and certainty of operation.

01micko

#350 Post by 01micko »

sfs loading *is* supposed to work from save back to CD/DVD installs. They are supposed to be saved at '/' but I think that is wrong. I might look into this a bit further. Maybe Ted Dog knows the magic, as he is the original writer of the 'save session to optical' routine.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access