#271 Post by sickgut »

Packetteer wrote:Hi All
Having Puppies that are made from other linux distributions is
the best thing since sliced bread.
The last time I tried Puppy was years ago. I do not remember the version
number.
Back then the only way to easily add software to Puppy was to use
sfs and pets.

That worked real well unless of course the pet or sfs for the software you wanted
to add did not exist.

Being able to use the Ubuntu repositories such as you are able to in
Puppy Lucid 5.2.8 is wonderful.

Since Lucid is based on Ubuntu Lucid and since Ubuntu has apt-get
I would like apt-get added to the next release of Puppy Lucid.

For those of us who do not want to wait for the Ubuntu
repositories to be updated with the latest software version for the software
we want to install we would be able to compile the latest version from
the authors provided source code.

Yes I have installed dev-x sfs. Yes I can compile the authors source code.
What I cannot do easily is down load, compile and install all the
dependency files.

Yes I have tried to down load the dependency files. The problem I ran
into is that the software I wanted to install had so many dependencies
it would have been ridiculous to try to install the dependencies with out
apt-get.

Yes I know about Pus**y Linux.
But I like Puppy better,

Thank you for your time in reading this Message.
re: apt-get for lucid

hello... just letting you know that i made an apt-get solution for lucid and while initially it sounds like a good idea, its not
ultimately its a fail, unless your are just installing leafpad or a game or something.

the problem is that puppy lucid isnt ubuntu its still a puppy with puppy custom scripts and a completely different kernel to ubuntu. The apt-get system overwrites puppies custom scripts with standard ubuntu ones, so in effect if you apt-get install mplayer or vlc or something like that, yeah it installs.... then puppy freezes and then it wont boot as the puppy scripts have been overwritten. The apt-get system itself installs things etc and updates all the scripts etc the program you are install needs, yes... it updates them, cleans all the *crap* out of the custom puppy scripts and adds entries for normal, standard ubuntu. im not saying that puppy scripts are crap, im saying that the apt-get system bleaches all the puppy stuff out of the scripts and replaces it with ubuntu things.

i personally stayed up for 36 hours and typed out 4000 lines of code manually with my actual fingers to create the apt-get status file, i listed all the puppy packages with their correct version numbers so that apt-get knew what to install and what not to install because its already there.
I really did try to make the project work and there was a lot of buzz about it but it was ultimately a fail in the worst way, causing puppy not to boot.

not meaning to discourage you but ive been there, done that and i dont want other people wasting their hard earned free time.

the lesson to be learned if there is one about this subject is that puppy is bleeding edge and leet and custom and small and the kernel is stripped of everything that doesnt absolutely need to be there. This means that no repo from the main distros and a rigged up package manager to accesses them will actually work 100% of the time. Yes some small packages work, but there is the real risk of installing something that simply causes puppy not to boot. The problem is that puppy doesnt run a standard kernel and no mainstream repo will work very well.

the only way to have ultimate compatibility with a mainstream distros repo is to use their distro as a base for your OS and this will result in an OS that is similar to puppy in a lot of ways but is ultimately not puppy and is 200mb larger in size and not as polished, but you can apt-get stuff and it will work. There is ALOT of work and i mean lots and lots to take an existing OS and make it like puppy.... it cant be done, it will be something else.

puppy sacrifices compatibility with alot of mainstream packages in favour of a small and awesome desktop experience.

Can puppy people make their own repo as good as ubuntu or debian? No this will never happen very soon as it would take 99999999999 hours to do, if an extra 250,000 devs jumped in and made the repo then maybe it would be as good.

in the mean time most commonly used packages are available for puppy at the time the version of puppy is released. Puppy is forever growing and changing and this means that the repos need updating constantly.
i think its just a matter of time.... in the future im sure there will be so many people running puppy and developing for it that it will have a repo similar to debian or whatever... we just need to be patient and water our puppys and let them grow

greengeek

#272 Post by greengeek »

sickgut wrote:i think its just a matter of time.... in the future im sure there will be so many people running puppy and developing for it that it will have a repo similar to debian or whatever... we just need to be patient and water our puppys and let them grow
Yes, I think it would be great to see Puppy retain it's own distinct flavour and benefits so that it attracts solid support from believers, rather than trying to appeal to the masses.

To that end, I would like to see Puppy come with a video format that can compete with Flash (it probably already does but I just don't know about it..) and I'd like to see a webhost somewhere that provided an alternative to youtube - all based on Puppy's own video format. Imaging how good it would be to see all the vids uploaded by fellow puppians.

Imagine if all those leaving school and going to Tech could be encouraged to use "Puptube" as a vector for their own vids. No more flash "upgrades" every five minutes. No more bans on saving vids from the net. Opensource fun not dependent on corporates. I guess it would have to be a paid service - but if it put control back in the hands of the user it might be popular.

I am keen for Puppy to have it's own turf.

Dromeno

Stronger encryption for 2fs/3fs

#273 Post by Dromeno »

Currently the 2fs 'heavy' encrypion is a 128aes encryption. I wonder if that isn't a bit weak nowadays? A tool like pupcrypt offers 2040aes...

Pelo

I suggest to include videocapture and pupsave config

#274 Post by Pelo »

pupsaveconfig-2.2.2.pet: 66 K
'save' 'nosave' question at shutdown
xvidcap-1.1.7.pet: 3238 K
xvidcap-1.1.6-i486.pet: 1557 K
from russian Puppyrus repository ( and only this one)
Screen video capture

Pls can you include them all the time in as distro ?

RSH

#275 Post by RSH »

Each and every Puppy Linux should include a Full Screen Atari ST Emulator in monochrome (SM124) mode, like TOSBox!

That would be pretty cool!
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

runtt21

#276 Post by runtt21 »

Yea, and a back scratcher and a beer cooler and every episode of the walking dead and...... :lol:

RSH

#277 Post by RSH »

Yea, and a back scratcher and a beer cooler and every episode of the walking dead and...... :lol:
Ok.

A beer cooler could be released via USB power supply. We got something similar here in Germany; keeps the coffee hot via USB power supply. :roll:

A back scratcher needs a Hardware and a Software team to release. Do we have a hardware team? :wink:

To include every episode of "the walking dead" could result in criminal prosecution. Better not! :lol:

To have a Atari ST Emulator (Full Screen, Monochrome) is easy to achive and will not end in criminal prosecution, because of the GPL3 License! :D

I have found Steem, Atari ST Emulator on the Web. It's published under the GPL3 License and could be easily included into an SFS file. :)

It seems to be very stable since I have recompiled all source code files from RSHs Score 5 in ST Pascal plus using Steem 3.2 ---> an it runs and works in LazY Puppy. Might work also in other puppies as well.
Attachments
image-2.jpg
RSHs Score 5 - Atari ST Musical & Drum Score Editor
(84.6 KiB) Downloaded 786 times
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

greengeek

#278 Post by greengeek »

Not good enough for EVERY puppy. Needs to be 64bit multicolour!

:-)

ETP

Revised/additional boot codes.

#279 Post by ETP »

I originally posted the following in the Slacko 5.4 thread back in Sept 2012 where it rather got buried. It seems more appropriate to post it here as it is still IMHO, as valid as ever.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is evident that this forum is littered with posts relating to boot issues with typically either:

1. The main SFS or save-file not being found or
2. The incorrect sfs or save-file being loaded.

These issues generally crop up when multiple pups are in use or more advanced boot techniques are being used where the component parts of puppy are being held on different drives, sub-directories and partitions.

I am aware that BK's philosophy, with which I totally agree, is that Puppy should in the main (with the possible exception of pmedia=) be capable of booting without other boot codes & be clever enough to work things out for itself.
In addition new users should not have to concern themselves with complex boot codes.

Currently the additional codes are intended by him to provide hints/help to Puppy when more complex arrangements are deployed.

This is fine for non-advanced use as probably 90% of users will have all the puppy files together in one directory.

The current problem with advanced use seems to be that the boot codes can sometimes conflict with or undermine the search logic that hunts down the location of firstly the save-file(s) and then the main sfs & any additional sfs files that the selected save-file calls for to be loaded. Often removing a boot code can help but more often than not one has to hit on the right combination of codes by a process of trial and error.

A couple of real world working examples:

CASE 1: Kernel on 16 MEG Smartmedia with main sfs & savefile on NTFS HDD (sda1)

Code: Select all

LABEL 5332 
MENU LABEL Slacko 5.3.3.2    05/07/12 
KERNEL /p5332/vmlinuz 
APPEND initrd=/p5332/initrd.gz pmedia=atahd pupsfs=sda1:/p5332/puppy_slacko_5.3.3.2.sfs pdev1=sda1

CASE 2: Kernel on first Fat32 partition of USB2 flash main sfs & save file on 2nd ext4 partition of stick.

LABEL 5332 
KERNEL /p5332/vmlinuz 
APPEND initrd=/p5332/initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash pupsfs=sdb2:/p5332/puppy_slacko_5.3.3.2.sfs psavemark=2

Both of the above were a nightmare to get right. It is of course a matter for BK, but what I propose is a new boot code (say SEARCH=NO) that would totally override the search logic and codes to allow for the precise location of the following to be specified:

A: The location of vmlinuz & initrd
B: The drive, partition & directory containing the main sfs and any additional sfs files.
C: The drive, partition & directory containing the save-file(s)

This would, I believe, eliminate the uncertainty and knock this thorny issue on the head once and for all.
If UUIDs could also be adopted so much the better.
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

otropogo

Re: Revised/additional boot codes.

#280 Post by otropogo »

ETP wrote:I originally posted the following in the Slacko 5.4 thread back in Sept 2012 where it rather got buried. It seems more appropriate to post it here as it is still IMHO, as valid as ever.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is evident that this forum is littered with posts relating to boot issues with typically either:

1. The main SFS or save-file not being found or
2. The incorrect sfs or save-file being loaded.

A couple of real world working examples:

CASE 1: Kernel on 16 MEG Smartmedia with main sfs & savefile on NTFS HDD (sda1)

LABEL 5332 
KERNEL /p5332/vmlinuz 
APPEND initrd=/p5332/initrd.gz pmedia=atahd pupsfs=sda1:/p5332/puppy_slacko_5.3.3.2.sfs pdev1=sda1

CASE 2: Kernel on first Fat32 partition of USB2 flash main sfs & save file on 2nd ext4 partition of stick.

LABEL 5332 
KERNEL /p5332/vmlinuz 
APPEND initrd=/p5332/initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash pupsfs=sdb2:/p5332/puppy_slacko_5.3.3.2.sfs psavemark=2

Both of the above were a nightmare to get right. It is of course a matter for BK, but what I propose is a new boot code (say SEARCH=NO) that would totally override the search logic and codes to allow for the precise location of the following to be specified:

A: The location of vmlinuz & initrd
B: The drive, partition & directory containing the main sfs and any additional sfs files.
C: The drive, partition & directory containing the save-file(s)

This would, I believe, eliminate the uncertainty and knock this thorny issue on the head once and for all.
If UUIDs could also be adopted so much the better.
Since it seems impossible to find out what the search "logic" is, I agree that your proposed kludge would be a desirable option. Since I only boot from either LiveCD or usbinstalls, using SFSs and 2fs files saved on the hard drive, my experience is limited, but fully as dismal as yours. If there is logic in the search the loader conducts, it has succeeded in eluding me.

I'm curious about the name and path of the file you excerpt in your two examples above, BTW.
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

ETP

Revised/additional boot codes.

#281 Post by ETP »

Otropogo,
I'm curious about the name and path of the file you excerpt in your two examples above, BTW.
More details on CASE 1: are given in this post.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 101#645101
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

otropogo

Re: Revised/additional boot codes.

#282 Post by otropogo »

ETP wrote:Otropogo,
More details on CASE 1: are given in this post.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 101#645101
thanks,

Will try to work though your method when I can find the time. My last attempt to install Dos4Grub resulted in my having to fdisk my hard drive to regain access to it.
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

knsridhar

drivers

#283 Post by knsridhar »

Sir
in your next puppy linux release please include drivers for all types printers and scanners new and old ones.this will make puppies complete replacement for MS windows and its software.I have been using pupplies for quit long time and it serves all my requirments.only problem i have is drivers for my pronters and scanners.hope it will be attended to in future release
knsridhar

jpeps

Re: drivers

#284 Post by jpeps »

knsridhar wrote:Sir
in your next puppy linux release please include drivers for all types printers and scanners new and old ones.this will make puppies complete replacement for MS windows and its software.I have been using pupplies for quit long time and it serves all my requirments.only problem i have is drivers for my pronters and scanners.hope it will be attended to in future release
knsridhar
Puppy has excellent printer support, but to include every known printer that you don't use would defeat the object of having a small distro.

hal8000

#285 Post by hal8000 »

This may not be possible due to the large size of the proprietary drivers but I'd like to see next puppy release include the catalyst (fglrx) driver for ATI cards and the Nouveau nvidia drivers.

If this is not possible would it be possible to include a boot parameter
e.g. puppy pfix=catalyst or pfix=nvidia with the ability to boot the driver
from a pupsave file.

R-S-H

#286 Post by R-S-H »

My wish list for the next Puppy is my wish list for the next Puppy is my wish list for the next Puppy is my wish list for the next Puppy is my wish ... ... ...

:lol:
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy Home
The new LazY Puppy Information Centre[/url][/b]

bohocmasni

#287 Post by bohocmasni »

a wish list?

i wish puppy could handle slax's modules, could install and uninstall that fast (did you try it?). or: could be more than 5 sfs loaded in the same time

or: ppm could remove lots of pets with 1 click.

or: i wish some developer tools/toys could be packed in base sfs, like tcc or bacon and not in the one big sfs with kernel sources
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6D1YI-41ao[/url]

lvds

#288 Post by lvds »

Wishes for next puppy release (from my users list ;-) )

- place jwm/rox into an external SFS file, so the desktop can easily be changed by another and builders can build alternate desktops much strongers. See this thread

- woof settings so builders can build a barebone easily. Because right now we all have hard time at removing packages and testing what dependencies are needed.

- gtkdialog for all the old scripts. See Carolina pupsaveconfig as an example

- Beware all puppy scripts can fit into a 1024x768 screen because right now many are not even readable. So if a user have a video driver problem and downgrade to 1024x768, at least he could setup his system again. (this have been a show stopper for _many_ people)

- Beware many alert popup have colors hardly readable on notebooks, like black on purple etc. Set a nice and good looking gtkdialog alert popups, all the same look and feel all over the puppy so it is easy to recognize.

- improve and simplify the video card selector with something like jockey on Ubuntu: if your video driver is there, go on with it. If your video driver is not there start with the best resolution useable, then launch later puppy-jockey to detect an additional driver on internet repository, then popup offer to download and install.

Many (many) thanks for your hard work, it is much (really much) appreciated ! :-)

boof

WPA-PSK enabling, please.

#289 Post by boof »

please re-code iwlwifi.ucode to allow Intel 5100-1 device to use WPA-PSK encryption-it is capable in XPsp3. I do not know if NDISwrapper will enable the function. That, and RA2850 RTL9192SU devices similarly. Please advise.

xmf-149

broken links feedback

#290 Post by xmf-149 »

i am new to linux and lupu and here is a report of what confused me. i fixed it now this is just so it can be changed in the official version
  • Startmount cannot be started from PupControl - it needs to be called with its full path /usr/local/Startmount/Startmount to function correctly. which startmount is /usr/bin/startmount which is a copy of Startmount but note that a symlink would not work either. it would be cleanest to comment line 349 in PupControl-bin and change the action path or a launch script could be made
  • quickpet links lupu_devx_528.sfs but the highest version available is lupu_devx_525.sfs
  • getflash doesnt work - the broken link to adobe.com causes the error message "Unable to contact the server, please check your internet connection". there is a package flash_install-0.1 in PPM which succeeded; otherwise, changing the link to 11.2 fixed getflash and apparently 11.2 is the last version
  • pfbpanel line 1100 manually add glipper (checking for /root/.glipper_on) to keep the tray icon from disappearing - (too bad fbpanel needs to kill the processes)
:!: :!: :!: