wish list for next puppy release

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
rsadix

Stable WiFi configurator/configuration

#16 Post by rsadix »

3.01 Full Install is great, and for wifi on my older Dell laptop with a PCMCIA DLink 650 I use the NDIS wrapper and it works great. I save my settings and everytime I boot after that, the wireless comes up on boot. Perfect.

On a different partition I installed 3.99. The same wireless device is recognized as ath_pci for wireless, Enter wlan wpa2 info, wizard status bar takes and while and says "WPA didn't connect" but the networking defice is recognized, and AUTO DHCP works. Networking is fine for that session. If I reboot, no wireless and I have to go through the network config again. I can choose the NDIS wrapper as in 3.01 but I have to load the ath_pci again in order to be able to unload it to try another driver (took me a little while to figure that out). The NDIS driver will also work fine that session, but when I reboot, again no wireless without running net config again.

Observations:
- In 3.01 the ping command delivers 64 bytes, in 3.99 its 56
- In 3.01 ifconfig just shows lo and wireless, with the ip info listed under wireless... In 3.99 ifconfig shows ath_pci, lo and wireless with the ip info under neath ath_pci
- Loading the ath_pci driver in 3.01 does not recognize the DLink 650 as compatible hardware

I saw some comments and code changes in the 3.99 rc.network file that talked about a bugfix, but unfortunately for me, the NDIS wrapper in 3.01 works better than the native ath_pci driver in 3.99.

I haven't tried full installing 3.01 and then booting off the 3.99 disk and upgrading yet.

rsadix

delted repeat

#17 Post by rsadix »

imnotrich

wpa2

#18 Post by imnotrich »

It's not enough to include various drivers that do not work, or that only work part way (for example the r8180/8185 or the zydas 1211 usb which can scan networks but not connect open or in any encrypted mode).

I have tried every Puppy distro from 1.09 up to 4, and truly long for working wireless for my laptops!

Also would be nice if Puppy supported my touch pad, but I'd settle for wireless.

ttuuxxx

Re: wpa2

#19 Post by ttuuxxx »

imnotrich wrote:It's not enough to include various drivers that do not work, or that only work part way (for example the r8180/8185 or the zydas 1211 usb which can scan networks but not connect open or in any encrypted mode).

I have tried every Puppy distro from 1.09 up to 4, and truly long for working wireless for my laptops!

Also would be nice if Puppy supported my touch pad, but I'd settle for wireless.
I'm shooting in the dark here but have you tried this patch?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... ch&id=5992
just wondering
tons of network improvements were never placed into puppy 3.01 or 4 series because of other issues but you can have a look at this forum link
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22245
please do tell how it all went :)
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

imnotrich

Re: wpa2

#20 Post by imnotrich »

ttuuxxx wrote:
imnotrich wrote:It's not enough to include various drivers that do not work, or that only work part way (for example the r8180/8185 or the zydas 1211 usb which can scan networks but not connect open or in any encrypted mode).

I'm shooting in the dark here but have you tried this patch?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... ch&id=5992
just wondering
tons of network improvements were never placed into puppy 3.01 or 4 series because of other issues but you can have a look at this forum link
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22245
please do tell how it all went :)
ttuuxxx
Thanks for trying, but the forum link you sent is something I've already tried without success, and the "patch" over wrote newer packages. That patch by the way doesn't support wpa or wpa2 either. Kinda made things worse.

So here's another idea for future Puppies-add a sanity check to packages if they are about to over write the newer version.

bugman

#21 Post by bugman »

support for older hardware

for a distro that is so small and light

especially

[still using 1.07, but what the hell, i love 1.07]

rsadix

#22 Post by rsadix »

I cleanly installed 4.00 and had the same results as listed above with 3.99. I tried the network-wiz-update-Oct5.pet and madwifi-0.9.3.3-patch-k2.6.21.7.pet with no improvements.

I would love to fix this. I feel like I am close, especially since my wireless DLink 650 rev C works fine in 3.01.

Now that 4.0 is out I feel I should start this thread somewhere else.

I would be willing to submit log files, configuration files or anything else to help get this resolved.

Thanx in advance

otropogo

PCMCIA support on a Puppy Boot Floppy

#23 Post by otropogo »

For laptops without an IDE CDROM drive or USB support, booting a new version of Puppy is impossible, except by doing a hard drive install.

What's needed is a boot floppy that provides pcmcia support and modules for pcmcia_scsi host adapters or pcmcia flash card readers. Then these systems could be booted from the LiveCD or from flash.

Ideally, the floppy would be configurable, so that only the modules required to boot would be needed on the disk. This would both make it possible to get everything needed to boot on one floppy, and reduce the bootup time (and wear and tear on the drive) significantly.

Botanic

#24 Post by Botanic »

performing automatic disk checks after a number of mounts.
Puppy 2.16 on HP Vectra VL400 - PIII 800 MHz - 320M RAM
Wary on Acer Aspire X3200 - Phenom X4 - 2.2GHz - 4G RAM

8Geee

#25 Post by 8Geee »

Extraction of boot files from ISO image needs to be altered to a separate download. Example pupboot301.tar.gz for the bootables, and pupmain301.tar.gz as the functional files of the OS.

Bootables need the option to format a storage (USB/HDD/FDD) drive with boot partition, placing said boot files within.

This does away with the ISO file requirement, having the OS evolve to two compressed files. A direct approach would be offered, and may help with ortopogo's request. S/He could extract the bootfiles to a floppy, from the HDD, and make it write-protect.

technosaurus

boot option or script for additional sfs files

#26 Post by technosaurus »

maybe modify initrd to add .sfs files using opt=/path/a.sfs,/path/b.sfs as a boot option

having a boot option for optionally (not automatically) loading additional sfs files would have the following benefits: (in no particular order)

Minimal and full version in about the same space as the full version (just add options in menu.lst)

ex.
kernel (cd)/dingo4_2/vmlinuz psubdir=dingo4_2 opt=fulpup42.sfs

It would help solve the zdrvXXX.sfs issue (just add options to menu.lst)

ex.
kernel (cd)/dingo4_2/vmlinuz psubdir=dingo4_2 opt=zdrv_42.sfs,fulpup.sfs

Would make for a better frugal install from fast boot into ram to every sfs the user could ever want to load

Could allow for creation of the Ultimate multi-boot CD

EX_1. title Puppy Dingo 4.2 - wonder dog
root (cd)
kernel (cd)/dingo4_2/vmlinuz psubdir=dingo4_2 opt=/zdrv_42.sfs,/fulpup42.sfs,/oofice24.sfs,/kde359.sfs
boot

EX_2. title MacAttackDog
root (cd)
kernel (cd)/dingo4_2/vmlinuz psubdir=macpup opt=/ooffice.sfs, /opera.sfs
boot

The possibilities are endless.

This is similar to the /optional folder in DSL which creates a menu icon that allows installation from the menu after bootup - here is a link
http://damnsmalllinux.org/wiki/index.ph ... ns_at_Boot

maggotspawn

#27 Post by maggotspawn »

The Petbegone Pet should be included. I'd really like the bug with Hotpup desktop icons, where the mounted harddrives aren't able to be written to be fixed.

Pizzasgood

#28 Post by Pizzasgood »

Actually, its functionality should be merged into PetGet. Barry said once that his original plan was to have such a feature built in, but never got around to doing it. With the latest incarnation of the package manager, it shouldn't be hard to add it, UI wise.

This is one of the things I plan to do in the next Pizzapup, if Barry doesn't do it first. I think that once the work has been done, adding it to Puppy wouldn't be a big deal. Barry's a busy guy, so he has to pick and choose what he works on.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

code_m

Logging

#29 Post by code_m »

I would like to see options at boot, such as:

Code: Select all

puppy pfix=nolog ##disable logging for that session
puppy pfix=log ##force logging to a single file
puppy pfix=clearlog ##clear all default system logs

Seems it would be pretty strait forward. Would be help to those of us trying to keep down the size of our save file, and would help those in development.

So PLEASE :D

37fleetwood

#30 Post by 37fleetwood »

HI, perhaps I'm in the wrong place and the wrong position but as a new-to-Linux user with little know how, what would help make Puppy more successful with more people is if it had better support for video drivers. the problem I've faced with Puppy all along has been getting it to work with my video card, especially 3d accelleration. if I could download an iso and burn it and boot to it and have it work without fighting with the video card it would make a huge difference. it isn't so bad to deal with the sound cards or network stuff but if the video doesn't work you're kinda dead in the water. I have other wants but this one I feel is kinda critical. I've recommended Puppy to people only to have them tell me they couldn't get it going. seriously I've been waiting for the longest time for Linux to catch up with "the opperating system which must not be named" as far as supported hardware. if it worked I'd switch completely!
Scott 8)

panzerpuppy

#31 Post by panzerpuppy »

Here's my list of suggestions:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 87&#235587

panzerpuppy

37fleetwood

#32 Post by 37fleetwood »

ok, I have something. I asked in another post about problems with my mouse. here's the reference:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 944#238944
is there any way this fix can be incorporated in the new puppies from here on out? here's the code which allows the back and foreward buttons to work. obviously a mouse configuration wizard would be better but this is pretty good in the mean time.

Code: Select all

Section "InputDevice" 
Identifier "Mouse0" 
Driver "mouse" 
Option "CorePointer" 
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice" 
Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2" 
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" 
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true" 
Option "Buttons" "7" 
Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 6 7" 
EndSection
Scott 8)

KF6SNJ

#33 Post by KF6SNJ »

Could I suggest an Apple Bootstrap Loader? That way Puppy will work non-intel macintosh hardware.
The only windows I have are those on my home.

37fleetwood

#34 Post by 37fleetwood »

is it also possible at boot to have an option to boot to the hard drive? it would be convenient not to have to take the cd out all the time :)
Scott 8)

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#35 Post by Béèm »

37fleetwood wrote:is it also possible at boot to have an option to boot to the hard drive? it would be convenient not to have to take the cd out all the time :)
Scott 8)
If you install unto a HDD you can do this.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]