How to install Ubuntu alongside Puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
Warrior522

How to install Ubuntu alongside Puppy?

#1 Post by Warrior522 »

I have Dpup Exprimo installed, and wish to add Ubuntu alongside it, but I'm not certain how. I've seen many Puppy on Ubuntu guides, but none for the other way around...

Jim1911

#2 Post by Jim1911 »

I don't believe that is possibly if you have a full HD installation of puppy, with a frugal installation, it should be possible. An Ubuntu installation requires an entire partition to install and if you install it last, even if you select the option to not format the partition, some essential puppy files may be deleted. However, you can back up the frugal installation and restore it after installing Ubuntu. A frugal installation of Puppy runs fine when installed on an Ubuntu partition.

Warrior522

#3 Post by Warrior522 »

So in other words, it's simpler to install Ubuntu first, then reinstall Puppy afterwards?

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

Warrior522 wrote:So in other words, it's simpler to install Ubuntu first, then reinstall Puppy afterwards?
Yes.
The big problem is Ubuntu's installer uses the entire partition to install.
When it installs it completely replaces/removes what is already there.
If you make several partitions on the hard drive. Put Puppy on one and Ubuntu on another, it should work. This way Ubuntu's install only affects the partition it installs on.
Puppy full install also uses a partition like Ubuntu. The entire partition is used.
Puppy frugal install is just a few files installed on partition, usually in a directory. It does not do anything to what is already there.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Warrior522

#5 Post by Warrior522 »

I see. Thanks for the help, will let you know how things work out.

One other question while I'm here: does "Dual boot" simply refer to having two OS' on one partition, or literally running two OS at the same time?

ntg255

Reply (Dual Boot)

#6 Post by ntg255 »

Dual booting is simply two operating systems on computer. Doesn't have to be two operating systems at the same time, and it doesn't have to be on the same partition.

Warrior522

#7 Post by Warrior522 »

Gotcha, thanks.

mini-jaguar

#8 Post by mini-jaguar »

Ubuntu also puts its own bootloader and everything, but it sometimes has troubles recognizing other Linux distros, it will recognize Windows fine though.

So better install Ubuntu first, then Puppy. Best way is to make a partition for your Puppy (without installing it) and just leave a blank space on your hard drive for Ubuntu, and then select the option of installing to the free space.

You can run GParted or whatever with the Ubuntu live CD before the installation.

But you can do a frugal install of Puppy on the Ubuntu partition or on its own partition, it's up to you really.