Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 02 Aug 2014, 05:10
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Puppy Dingo 392 testing, bug reporting
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 6 of 9 [129 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
PaulBx1

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2007, 00:16    Post subject:  

1) gExec doesn't seem to do much. Maybe I didn't figure out how to use it. Can't see why I wouldn't use a console window instead. Dump it, in my opinion.

2) Don't much care for the icons. Do like the pretty background.

3) tkdiff is missing, hope it can get in. Does it need porting to gtk2?

4) scanpci was missing (noticed when I ran pupscan)

5) My eth0 (ethernet on a pcmcia card) was not detected. I did not know what module to load to detect it. In 2.16 it is detected automatically and only needs dchpd to get on the internet.

6) I think calcoo is a step down from Ycalc; or maybe I've just gotten used to the latter. Sure would like to see an RPN calculator too.

7) epdf still does not display text in some of my pdf files (e.g. my Home Power magazines). Probably some font missing?

For #5 I was curious about the modules loaded, comparing with 2.16 (in both cases, booting into ram). Here are the results. The modules loaded were the same, except:

Modules loaded in 2.16.1 but not 400a2:
8390, i2c_core, i2c_piix4, pcnet_cs, snd_ac97_bus

Modules loaded in 400a2 but not 2.16.1:
ac97_bus, squashfs, usbhid, usblp

I don't know if that tells you why eth0 is not detected, or anything else! FYI my machine is an old Thinkpad A21m.
lluamco

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2007, 07:17    Post subject:  

BarryK wrote:
nic2109,
I just remembered something, there's another thread in this forum where someone reported the same problem as you. They fixed it by installing the full 'hpijs' package -- the thread has a link to a .pup package.
It may be that something is missing if you only obtained the ppd file -- I would like to know what.

Just for your info: I have noticed that /usr/bin/hpijs is missing in puppy 3.01 and also dingo 392. It was present in previous puppy versions (2.17, 3.00 for instance).
raffy

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2007, 08:28    Post subject: testing pmount  

Barry:
Quote:
Where's raffy and raman?
Sorry, that PC will be accessible to me this weekend only. Almost the same arrangement as your friend's broadband. Smile
zygo

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2007, 08:54    Post subject:  

Barry,

Cups and my printer are happy with HP-DeskJet_Plus-deskjet.ppd
Printing works from the lightweight leafpad and is good from Abiword (test page and a 2-page text doc).

Opera works.

MPlayer doesn't play CDs. But cdp from 301 does. Is it really old hat to play CDs on your PC? Also, how can I play my 45s?

You point out that this is just an alpha release so is it worth testing dialup?
Sage

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2007, 09:24    Post subject:  

Are you serious about your 45s (& presumably, LPs?)?
There are two methods, depending on how much dosh you want to throw at it, how much of a purist you are and whether you're prepared to defect to The Other Side, however transitory?
For an hundred notes you can buy a USB turntable complete with leads and SW for you-know-who. This will compensate in software for all the foibles of vinyl (you didn't mention shellac or wax?!) due to variable sideward acceleration, etc.
However, since you mention 45s, can we presume you mean The King? Connect your old record player to the IN socket on your sound card, press RECORD in your sound package, and Robert's your mother's brother. Satchmo will sound almost as good as ever. You may need a bigger package than Puppy, though. Worth trying Muppy008 and talking to MU before you do anything rash.
zygo

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2007, 11:06    Post subject:  

Thanks Sage. I must get a turntable.

I won't have hardware enough to run Puppy soon. I'm considering a new MB with CPU.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=24115
Sage

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2007, 12:02    Post subject:  

I've just installed one of those boards for a client. They have a few quirks, are obsolete, and don't clock, but are fast and stable and cheap! cpc.co.uk also has them.
Don't buy a turntable - liberate one from a skip and fit a new stylus from CPC. Remember - you will be dealing with very small signals only and the sound card can handle that when directly wired, provided you use screened cables. Only the purists will worry about impedance matching and all that other stuff.
HairyWill

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2007, 12:09    Post subject:  

HairyWill wrote:
I still can't load the module ieee80211_crypt_wep so no wep on my ipw2200. Does this mean that no-one has working wep.

I'm bumping this because no one has acknowledged it. I can live without it but I think it might be important to some people.

DOES ANYBODY HAVE WEP WORKING?

Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2007, 14:10    Post subject:  

I use WEP with my ipw2100 connection on my Thinkpad R40.
Configured it by running the NW Wizard just fine.

Use peppyy's puppysearch
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2007, 21:24    Post subject:
Subject description: Minor Problem Found

JustGreg wrote:
When I start up the 392 alpha version, I notice the following icons were missing: home, html, chat, drive, and save. The desktop files were pointing to the wrong icon files.

Home points to home48.png. The file that works is folder48.png
Html points to webeditor48.png. The file that works is webedit48.png.
Chat points to kopete48.png. The file that works is chat48.png.
Drive points to usbflashdrive48.png. The file that works is drive48.png
Save points to saveflash48.png. The file that works is save48.png.

I hope this helps.

I don't understand. If you boot alpha2, no icons are missing. There might be something amiss if had used a pre-existing pup_save, which is not supported for the alphas.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2007, 21:34    Post subject:  

PaulBx1 wrote:
1) gExec doesn't seem to do much. Maybe I didn't figure out how to use it. Can't see why I wouldn't use a console window instead. Dump it, in my opinion.

2) Don't much care for the icons. Do like the pretty background.

3) tkdiff is missing, hope it can get in. Does it need porting to gtk2?

4) scanpci was missing (noticed when I ran pupscan)

5) My eth0 (ethernet on a pcmcia card) was not detected. I did not know what module to load to detect it. In 2.16 it is detected automatically and only needs dchpd to get on the internet.

6) I think calcoo is a step down from Ycalc; or maybe I've just gotten used to the latter. Sure would like to see an RPN calculator too.

7) epdf still does not display text in some of my pdf files (e.g. my Home Power magazines). Probably some font missing?

For #5 I was curious about the modules loaded, comparing with 2.16 (in both cases, booting into ram). Here are the results. The modules loaded were the same, except:

Modules loaded in 2.16.1 but not 400a2:
8390, i2c_core, i2c_piix4, pcnet_cs, snd_ac97_bus

Modules loaded in 400a2 but not 2.16.1:
ac97_bus, squashfs, usbhid, usblp

I don't know if that tells you why eth0 is not detected, or anything else! FYI my machine is an old Thinkpad A21m.

Windows has the same thing, so gExec is for those crossing over.

Tcl/Tk apps not supported in Dingo. Use Wxdiff, which will be a PET pkg.

The next puppy, alpha3, will have scanpci.

pcmcia is broken. I have to recompile the kernel for it's new inbuilt pcmcia support. again, alpha3.

try running epdfview from a terminal, see if it reports what font, if any, is missing.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2007, 21:38    Post subject:  

zygo wrote:
MPlayer doesn't play CDs. But cdp from 301 does. Is it really old hat to play CDs on your PC? Also, how can I play my 45s?

You point out that this is just an alpha release so is it worth testing dialup?

Mplayer should play CDs. Right-click to bring up the full menu, which has an option to play CDs.

Dialup, yes, please test. alpha2 has Gnome-PPP as well as PupDial.

JustGreg

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2007, 21:48    Post subject:
Subject description: yes, it was the pup_save file

I upgraded the compact flash device that I used for testing alpha1. I just copied the system files and did not use the universal installer. I have checked booting the CDROM and the problem did not appear. The pup_save was originally created by Puppy 3.90 alpha 1. So, there is no problem Very Happy
PaulBx1

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2007, 22:31    Post subject:  

Quote:
Windows has the same thing, so gExec is for those crossing over.

OK, I'm all for serving Windows refugees. However, it seems non-functional. I tried an "ls" command and nothing happened. I tried to check the "run as root" box and got the error, "Failed to execute child process "gksu", No such file..."

Quote:
try running epdfview from a terminal, see if it reports what font, if any, is missing.

OK, should have thought of that. I got no errors reported back on a file that displayed properly. However I got this when I first ran epdf (perhaps understandable as it's a boot into ram):

Code:
# epdfview

** (epdfview:7628): WARNING **: Couldn't load config file '/root/.config/epdfview/main.conf': No such file or directory

...and then I got this when opening the problem pdf file, and scrolling through it a bit:

Code:
cairo context error: out of memory

Out of memory, hmmm. The file in question is rather large, 12 MB.

Couple more items I've run into:

8 ) The windows only resize from the side or bottom edges. You can't grab the top edge to resize them. Don't know if a universal problem; saw that in epdfview and pfind.

9) Not a bug, but it occurred to me that when I boot and enter a boot parameter, and misspell something, it continues on as if I had entered nothing. Perhaps it would be better if, when parsing those parameters, you find something you don't understand, you give the boot parameter prompt again, maybe with a warning? Just a thought. Might save some confusion...
JustGreg

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2007, 23:13    Post subject:
Subject description: gExec

I have found gExec is a nice utility. It works well, especially, if one checks the box to "Run in a terminal emulator". The ls command will work if the "Run in a terminal emulator" box is checked. If the "Run in a terminal emulator" was default, I think it would be less likely to cause problems.
Page 6 of 9 [129 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: