Puppy Dingo 392 testing, bug reporting

Please post any bugs you have found
jonyo

#61 Post by jonyo »

Wasn't sure myself whether to post it but have seen others do it so figured it was ok. There are (or were) some dead links out there.

nic2109

CUPS Experiences

#62 Post by nic2109 »

I've tried out Dingo A2 + CUPS with an HP Photosmart 2575.

The first thing I discovered is that if you need a .ppd file then d/l it first and put it in /usr/share/cups/model. When I tried this while the wizard was running - it helpfully tells you what to do if your printer isn't listed - everything hangs. Following a reboot, and putting the .ppd in the right place first, the wizard worked fine.

Next: USB connected. No joy. I set it to use USB#1 but nothing happens. the status is

Printer State: idle, accepting jobs.
"Unable to open USB device "usb:/dev/usb/lp1": No such device"
Device URI: usb:/dev/usb/lp0.

Lastly: unplug the USB lead and try the Ethernet connection. No better.

I tried many combinations of ipp and http protocol, but with no luck.

(In case I did it wrong, can some please re-assure me that where the examples say something like http://hostname:631/ipp/' that I substitute the actual ip address of the printer for 'hostname'. If not then this might be my problem.).

I wish I had more success, but so far - nothing has worked. Are there any diagnostic tests I should try? I have tried to ping the printer's i/p address and it's fine.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#63 Post by BarryK »

Béèm wrote:
BarryK wrote:See my blog, a completely rewritten pmount is ready for testing.
Just a little suggestion if I may/
You might put the URL of your development blog in your signature.
Ok, done.
Hmm, no signature. maybe I have to logout then back in.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: CUPS Experiences

#64 Post by BarryK »

nic2109 wrote:I've tried out Dingo A2 + CUPS with an HP Photosmart 2575.

The first thing I discovered is that if you need a .ppd file then d/l it first and put it in /usr/share/cups/model. When I tried this while the wizard was running - it helpfully tells you what to do if your printer isn't listed - everything hangs. Following a reboot, and putting the .ppd in the right place first, the wizard worked fine.

Next: USB connected. No joy. I set it to use USB#1 but nothing happens. the status is

Printer State: idle, accepting jobs.
"Unable to open USB device "usb:/dev/usb/lp1": No such device"
Device URI: usb:/dev/usb/lp0.

Lastly: unplug the USB lead and try the Ethernet connection. No better.

I tried many combinations of ipp and http protocol, but with no luck.

(In case I did it wrong, can some please re-assure me that where the examples say something like http://hostname:631/ipp/' that I substitute the actual ip address of the printer for 'hostname'. If not then this might be my problem.).

I wish I had more success, but so far - nothing has worked. Are there any diagnostic tests I should try? I have tried to ping the printer's i/p address and it's fine.
There has been a lot of positive feedback that the new cups system works.
When it displays the interfaces to choose from, the one with your printer should be obvious as it will give the name of your printer that it has identified on the usb interface -- if you don't get that then something is wrong. It seems something is wrong as you mention 'lp1' whereas if you only have one printer I would expect it to be using '/dev/usb/lp0'. You shouldn't have to manually edit anything, it should just be a matter of selecting from the menus.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#65 Post by BarryK »

Where's raffy and raman? I want them to test the new pmount, make sure it detects all usb and sata devices, and mounts ntfs read-write. Make sure you grab the latest off ibiblio, that I have just uploaded.

zygo

new pmount does not detect my floppy drive

#66 Post by zygo »

The original pmount (in the iso) detects my floppy drive. The new one does not.

nic2109

Re: CUPS Experiences

#67 Post by nic2109 »

BarryK wrote:There has been a lot of positive feedback that the new cups system works.
When it displays the interfaces to choose from, the one with your printer should be obvious as it will give the name of your printer that it has identified on the usb interface -- if you don't get that then something is wrong. It seems something is wrong as you mention 'lp1' whereas if you only have one printer I would expect it to be using '/dev/usb/lp0'. You shouldn't have to manually edit anything, it should just be a matter of selecting from the menus.
Thanks for the response. I've tried again via the USB method, just taking selecting from the menus as directed. The first of the USB Printer entries (they are #1 to #16) had some numbers beside it so I assume that it had detected something and used that. All the other setting were the "obvious" ones. CUPS came back and had added the printer successfully, even getting the serial number in the status page. See attached screenshots.

Then, clicking on 'Print Test Page' switches to 'Test page sent; job ID is HP-n' where n increments by 1 each time. But nothing happens, and the Jobs screen shows no active jobs and no completed jobs either.

It's a mystery.
Attachments
CUPS Status.png
Printer status once added.
(121.85 KiB) Downloaded 437 times
CUPS Choices.png
USB Ports available
(66.66 KiB) Downloaded 456 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: new pmount does not detect my floppy drive

#68 Post by BarryK »

zygo wrote:The original pmount (in the iso) detects my floppy drive. The new one does not.
Ah, yes, I'll have to add that.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#69 Post by BarryK »

nic2109,
It's interesting that the first usb choice only has the "(6541)" next to it. In my case, two printers that I have tested with, the full name of the printer was displayed. So, I can see why you were uncertain which option to choose.

As to why nothing prints.... that's where I curse CUPS, for the many times I have clicked that button to print a test page and nothing prints. Sometimes even there's no error message, as in your case.

With your printer, is there a close model in the Gutenprint range of drivers that you can try? -- you would have seen a big list in one of the pull-down windows.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#70 Post by BarryK »

nic2109,
I just remembered something, there's another thread in this forum where someone reported the same problem as you. They fixed it by installing the full 'hpijs' package -- the thread has a link to a .pup package.
It may be that something is missing if you only obtained the ppd file -- I would like to know what.

Caneri

#71 Post by Caneri »

[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#72 Post by Béèm »

@BarryK

Fine that you did put the link of your blog in the signature.
I appreciate.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

JustGreg

#73 Post by JustGreg »

When I start up the 392 alpha version, I notice the following icons were missing: home, html, chat, drive, and save. The desktop files were pointing to the wrong icon files.

Home points to home48.png. The file that works is folder48.png
Html points to webeditor48.png. The file that works is webedit48.png.
Chat points to kopete48.png. The file that works is chat48.png.
Drive points to usbflashdrive48.png. The file that works is drive48.png
Save points to saveflash48.png. The file that works is save48.png.

I hope this helps.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

Jnoble

pupdial in 4.00 a2

#74 Post by Jnoble »

Barry
I don't know enough about programing to tell you what needs fixing, but I'll tell you what I did to make it work and you'll probably know. I went to /etc/ppp/chap secrets, which had nothing in it and added (username * password *) and it worked. Also clicking on connect always brings up the modem setup screen, even after you have already setup modem. clicking on modem setup then brings up pupdial setup screen.
Hope this helps.
Jim

plinej

#75 Post by plinej »

/usr/local/bin/play can be removed since it's for gxine.

PaulBx1

#76 Post by PaulBx1 »

1) gExec doesn't seem to do much. Maybe I didn't figure out how to use it. Can't see why I wouldn't use a console window instead. Dump it, in my opinion.

2) Don't much care for the icons. Do like the pretty background.

3) tkdiff is missing, hope it can get in. Does it need porting to gtk2?

4) scanpci was missing (noticed when I ran pupscan)

5) My eth0 (ethernet on a pcmcia card) was not detected. I did not know what module to load to detect it. In 2.16 it is detected automatically and only needs dchpd to get on the internet.

6) I think calcoo is a step down from Ycalc; or maybe I've just gotten used to the latter. Sure would like to see an RPN calculator too.

7) epdf still does not display text in some of my pdf files (e.g. my Home Power magazines). Probably some font missing?

For #5 I was curious about the modules loaded, comparing with 2.16 (in both cases, booting into ram). Here are the results. The modules loaded were the same, except:

Modules loaded in 2.16.1 but not 400a2:
8390, i2c_core, i2c_piix4, pcnet_cs, snd_ac97_bus

Modules loaded in 400a2 but not 2.16.1:
ac97_bus, squashfs, usbhid, usblp

I don't know if that tells you why eth0 is not detected, or anything else! FYI my machine is an old Thinkpad A21m.

lluamco

#77 Post by lluamco »

BarryK wrote:nic2109,
I just remembered something, there's another thread in this forum where someone reported the same problem as you. They fixed it by installing the full 'hpijs' package -- the thread has a link to a .pup package.
It may be that something is missing if you only obtained the ppd file -- I would like to know what.
Just for your info: I have noticed that /usr/bin/hpijs is missing in puppy 3.01 and also dingo 392. It was present in previous puppy versions (2.17, 3.00 for instance).

raffy

testing pmount

#78 Post by raffy »

Barry:
Where's raffy and raman?
Sorry, that PC will be accessible to me this weekend only. Almost the same arrangement as your friend's broadband. :)
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

zygo

#79 Post by zygo »

Barry,

Cups and my printer are happy with HP-DeskJet_Plus-deskjet.ppd
Printing works from the lightweight leafpad and is good from Abiword (test page and a 2-page text doc).

Opera works.

MPlayer doesn't play CDs. But cdp from 301 does. Is it really old hat to play CDs on your PC? Also, how can I play my 45s?

You point out that this is just an alpha release so is it worth testing dialup?

Sage

#80 Post by Sage »

Are you serious about your 45s (& presumably, LPs?)?
There are two methods, depending on how much dosh you want to throw at it, how much of a purist you are and whether you're prepared to defect to The Other Side, however transitory?
For an hundred notes you can buy a USB turntable complete with leads and SW for you-know-who. This will compensate in software for all the foibles of vinyl (you didn't mention shellac or wax?!) due to variable sideward acceleration, etc.
However, since you mention 45s, can we presume you mean The King? Connect your old record player to the IN socket on your sound card, press RECORD in your sound package, and Robert's your mother's brother. Satchmo will sound almost as good as ever. You may need a bigger package than Puppy, though. Worth trying Muppy008 and talking to MU before you do anything rash.