Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 20 Apr 2014, 16:48
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Puppy Dingo 392 testing, bug reporting
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 4 of 9 [129 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
Raman

PostPosted: Wed 28 Nov 2007, 19:05    Post subject: rxvt terminal running # probepart shows everything detected
Subject description: All USB files (drives, etc.) are detected, but not by alpha 2 Pmount

Dear Mr. BarryK,

You asked me to do the following: "Can you please open a rxvt terminal and run: # probepart ... let me know if that correctly detects everything."

I have done as you suggested and can report that yes, everything is detected by the Puppy alpha 2 OS and reported as such by probepart, including all the USB files (drives, etc.), but Pmount does not detect or mount any of the USB files (drives). Not in Puppy 3.01 Pmount and not in alpha 1 or alpha 2.

I have done this same rxvt terminal running probepart in Puppy 3.01, and yes, probepart reports that the OS recognizes all of the USB files, which Puppy MUT will mount all the time, but which Pmount will not mount all the time, or mount at all, depending. Depending on what is the obvious question that I cannot answer, unfortunately.

I hope this helps.

Hail Puppy!

Raman
raffy

PostPosted: Wed 28 Nov 2007, 20:18    Post subject: Compaq SATA  

In a Compaq PC with SATA (and firewire), that is easy to check. SATA drives are visible as sdaX, but as soon as you plug in a USB drive and refresh pmount, the SATA drives disappear (from the pmount window, that is).
fwilt1

PostPosted: Wed 28 Nov 2007, 21:20    Post subject: instructions
Subject description: save file

Barry
thanks for that,
The fact that you have a 'contacts' desktop icon means that you have upgraded an existing pup_save file, which is expressly warned against in the release announcement on my blog. This early alpha is not ready for that, and your pup_save file is stuffed up.
Please read the instructions first.

I will do so and try again
Jim
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov 2007, 00:16    Post subject:  

When I ran ddcprobe from a console of Puppy Dingo 392 (on a multisession DVD+RW) the display instantly went black and the computer locked up. The power had to be turned off before it would restart. So as an experiment I ran ddcprobe from the console of a 3.01 multisession DVD. The screen went black for a second but then came back, and the console showed the results of ddcprobe.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov 2007, 00:57    Post subject:  

Looking forward to the Xorg driver (as an add on)
At the moment the highest res that xvesa can manage on my present hardware is 800x600
The new lemon theme (default) is the best and most usable (readable on TFT at 800x500) of the ones provided. Maybe variants of that can be provided by those able to design themes? The others are of very poor quality with cramped or blurry font display on my hardware . . .
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/JoesWindowManager
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=151129#151129
Just a question of altering colours in a text file . . .
Very Happy

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov 2007, 01:54    Post subject:  

cthisbear wrote:
Raman:
" May I be permitted to _mount_ the modest proposal that MUT be included in Puppy 4? "

Vote now?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=23801

Chris

MUT is a Tcl/Tk application and cannot be in Dingo. Whatever is wrong with Pmount can and will (most likely) be fixed.
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov 2007, 01:57    Post subject: Re: rxvt terminal running # probepart shows everything detec
Subject description: All USB files (drives, etc.) are detected, but not by alpha 2 Pmount

Raman wrote:
Dear Mr. BarryK,

You asked me to do the following: "Can you please open a rxvt terminal and run: # probepart ... let me know if that correctly detects everything."

I have done as you suggested and can report that yes, everything is detected by the Puppy alpha 2 OS and reported as such by probepart, including all the USB files (drives, etc.), but Pmount does not detect or mount any of the USB files (drives). Not in Puppy 3.01 Pmount and not in alpha 1 or alpha 2.

I have done this same rxvt terminal running probepart in Puppy 3.01, and yes, probepart reports that the OS recognizes all of the USB files, which Puppy MUT will mount all the time, but which Pmount will not mount all the time, or mount at all, depending. Depending on what is the obvious question that I cannot answer, unfortunately.

I hope this helps.

Hail Puppy!

Raman

Good.
Can you please post the result of running 'probepart', so I can see if there is anything strange about it. (Just drag to highlight the text, click middle mouse button to past selection)
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov 2007, 02:05    Post subject: Re: Compaq SATA  

raffy wrote:
In a Compaq PC with SATA (and firewire), that is easy to check. SATA drives are visible as sdaX, but as soon as you plug in a USB drive and refresh pmount, the SATA drives disappear (from the pmount window, that is).

Again, same test I gave to Raman, can you run 'probepart' and report that the partitions are all shown properly or not.
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov 2007, 02:08    Post subject:  

Flash wrote:
When I ran ddcprobe from a console of Puppy Dingo 392 (on a multisession DVD+RW) the display instantly went black and the computer locked up. The power had to be turned off before it would restart. So as an experiment I ran ddcprobe from the console of a 3.01 multisession DVD. The screen went black for a second but then came back, and the console showed the results of ddcprobe.

So does ddcprobe work fine without X running? -- is this a conflict between a running X and the ddcprobe on your video hardware?
fwilt1

PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov 2007, 02:44    Post subject: installation to IDE hard disk
Subject description: seems fault free

Barry
Decided to try installation to hard disk using a pentium 4 with 256 mem. Process went smoothly with hard ware detection fault free (not always the case with in this case a purpose built Dell ex bank office computer.)
Hardware detection was accurate, all peripherals up and working .Will endeavour to try cups with more printers
System was stable over extended test.
Positive response from fellow workers to desk top appearance.

Do you intend to have system recover to desktop after unplanned power off without using xwin?
thanks
Jim
cthisbear

PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov 2007, 04:28    Post subject:  

" MUT is a Tcl/Tk application and cannot be in Dingo. Whatever is wrong with Pmount can and will (most likely) be fixed."

Gotcha....................and thanks.

Chris
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov 2007, 09:54    Post subject:  

See my blog, a completely rewritten pmount is ready for testing.
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov 2007, 11:37    Post subject:  

BarryK wrote:
See my blog, a completely rewritten pmount is ready for testing.
Just a little suggestion if I may/
You might put the URL of your development blog in your signature.

Use peppyy's puppysearch
jonyo

PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov 2007, 12:10    Post subject:  

http://puppylinux.com/blog/
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov 2007, 14:06    Post subject:  

Thank you jonyo for the link, but I know how to get there as I follow quite some time here already.

My remark was made to Barry, with the new persons in mind who don't know about the different websites.

But it's up to him to decide what he wants to do.

Use peppyy's puppysearch
Page 4 of 9 [129 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: