Puppy Dingo 392 testing, bug reporting

Please post any bugs you have found
raffy

drag n drop

#31 Post by raffy »

Just to clarify, I drag and drop video files to the mplayer desktop icon, so it's the file linked to by the desktop icon that does the work.

I also remember that based on previous discussions, the options below are needed to minimize messages in /tmp:

Code: Select all

/usr/local/bin/gmplayer -msglevel all=-1 &
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

HairyWill

#32 Post by HairyWill »

I still can't load the module ieee80211_crypt_wep so no wep on my ipw2200. Does this mean that no-one has working wep.

Unencrypted wireless works fine, I've never tried playing with any stronger encryption.

Since Barry built the iso, pnethood has become much more solid.
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

NathanO

#33 Post by NathanO »

3.92 works good on my tower, xversa will work.

Had problems with xversa on my HP zv9000 laptop, it would not give me an option that would work with the built in LCD.

Xorg in 3.01 works on both.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: petget and not enough disk space

#34 Post by BarryK »

lluamco wrote:This concerns Dingo 392 and also previous puppy versions.

Sometimes, when installing a pet package using the petget manager, a window warns that there is not enough space left on the disk. And often, there is enough space! I think that the reason is that the the units measuring the free space of the disk and the units of the estimated needed space are NOT the same. In fact, checking the output of the "stat" program, it can be seen that they are given in blocks of sizes 4096 and 512, respectively.
There is thus a factor 8 among them. Thus the required estimated space in petget is overestimated by this factor 8.
I suggest to change the line:

EXPNEEDB=`expr $EXPFILEB \* 3` #bz2 can expand up to x3, need twice temp space. v3.01 changed 5 to 3.

to

EXPNEEDB=$(($(($EXPFREEB*3))/8))

Hope it helps.
Lluis
Yes, but it shouldn't matter what the block size is, as the comparisons are relative:

EXPFREEB=`stat --filesystem --format=%f /` #no. free blocks.
  EXPFILEB=`stat --format=%b $APKGNAMEEX` #no. blocks.
  EXPNEEDB=`expr $EXPFILEB \* 2` #bz2 can expand up to x3, need twice temp space. v3.01 changed 5 to 3. v3.92 changed to 2.
  #note, probably better to do like this: EXPNEEDB=$($(($EXPFREEB*3)))
  if [ $EXPNEEDB -gt $EXPFREEB ];then
Anyway, I've changed it down again, from *3 to *2.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#35 Post by BarryK »

plinej wrote:After changing to the Stardust theme shouldn't all the yellow be gone in the taskbar? I rarely use jwm so I'm not sure what I need to do to get it to change with the theme.
You must have used the JWM theme changer as well as the GTK theme changer. Yes, that would be a bug in the JWM theme that you have chosen, someone would have to fix that.
You can find the JWM configuration PET package on ibiblio, ...er no, I'll post it here as I have recently fixed something in it. Attached.
Attachments
jwmconfig-4nov07.tar.gz
(25.48 KiB) Downloaded 448 times

Tom Raft

Puppy Dingo 392 testing, bug reporting

#36 Post by Tom Raft »

I use the network wizard, all is recognised and works fine. But after reboot, connection failed. Blinky shows one symbol with activity for wifi, but no second symbol like before for my wireless card. But the options window of blinky shows me that there are three network possibilities: wifi, ethernet and ath0 (my MSI pcmcia wireless card with atheros chipset).

When I run the network wizard again, I see that the profile of my wireless card exists but i have to choose it manually and resume the network wizard with configuration of dhcp. After that I can connect to the internet.

I use frugal install on a six year old dell d400 laptop with 128mb ram, 512 mb pupsave file on a 6 GB hdd, no cd or dvd drive. From version 2.14 up to version 3.01 there are no problems.

I hope you could understand my not so technical description and bad englisch. Sometimes I don't know the right terms and vocabulary.

Tom

lluamco

#37 Post by lluamco »

BarryK wrote: Yes, but it shouldn't matter what the block size is, as the comparisons are relative:

EXPNEEDB=`expr $EXPFILEB \* 2` #bz2 can expand up to x3, need twice temp space. v3.01 changed 5 to 3. v3.92 changed to 2.
Barry,
my point was trying to stress that the comparisons are not fair, since the block size of the filesystem is 4096, and the block size for files is 512. This can be checked using

stat --filesystem --format=%f' blocks of size '%S /
which in my system results in 4521177 blocks of size 4096

and

stat --format=%b' blocks of size '%B somefile 
which in turn results, for this particular file, 216 blocks of size 512

So my point is that the same block-unit size must be used for the comparison, and this can be afforded dividing EXPNEEDB by 8.

(please note double parenthesis in the above expression)
Lluis

Raman

Pmount does not mount USB DVD burners, but MUT does (3.01)

#38 Post by Raman »

In Puppy 3.01 I have observed that MUT will recognize and mount drives when Pmount does not. Which is to say, MUT seems to be bulletproof in Puppy 3.01, whereas Pmount in Puppy 3.01 is not. Why is that? Why is MUT always able to recognize and mount drives of any sort -- especially USB mass storage devices (DVD/CDrom, external HD, flash, and so forth), while Pmount sometimes does ... but not always.

Is a puzzle. A puzzle which only deepens when using both Puppy 4 alpha's.

Because MUT is not present in both alpha Puppy 4's and Pmount seems to be deficient in recognizing and mounting USB devices, I cannot recognize or mount any of my USB devices with Puppy 4 Pmount. Puppy 4 Pmount will not mount my current USB DVD/CDrom burners or USB external hard drives or my assorted USB flash drives. I have to use Puppy 3 or Puppy 3.01 (or earlier Puppy releases) to have MUT mount these otherwise bug-free and entirely effective USB DVD/CDrom burners, external USB HD's, and USB flash drives. Only MUT in Puppy 3 and earlier will reliably recognize USB drives of whatever sort, whereas Pmount is flaky, USB-wise. What does MUT have that Pmount does not have? Why does Pmount not recognize USB drives but the earlier Puppy releases with MUT will recognize ALL USB drives of whatever sort, and do so all the time?

Would it be a burden to include MUT in Puppy 4? If not, would it be a burden to fix the obvious USB bug in Pmount? Given that USB devices are so common and critical?

Parenthetically, let me note that alpha 2 will actually recognize and enable my many RS232 serial modems, whereas alpha 1 would not.

Hail Puppy!

Raman
Last edited by Raman on Wed 28 Nov 2007, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.

fwilt1

some bugs

#39 Post by fwilt1 »

I am using dingo 392 running in ram from cd, on pentium 4 with 5112 of memory.

Impressed with ease of connecting to cable, liked the auto save, and the disappearance of having to nominate file size etc on first use.

On initial boot the screen had icons superimposed on each other, this ok on subsequent boots

On trying to load email client the desktop shows the program for about half a second then it disappears.

Contacts won't load

calendar claims
Another copy of OSMO is already running or it has been stopped uncleanly (in this case please remove '/root/.osmo/pid' file and try again).

Calc has similar fault to email, and the edit icon has a same issue., and I found after hitting initial OK in JWM the same problem
Cups found our epson cx5700F, which is a first.

So in brief hardware detection is great, but application loading seems to have a fault.
hope this helps
jim

linuxcbon

#40 Post by linuxcbon »

Hardinfo : /usr/lib/libz.so missing , it's when you choose benchmarks->CPU ZLib

When booting from cd with pfix=ram, it loads pup_392.sfs and copying to ram is long with disk activity.

With live cd, AutoDHCP, when not saving param, all is ok except DNS param set to 0.0.0.0

GTK xset : Bell : doesnt bell.

Set global font size : X has to be restarted ?

The icon called "play" is for mplayer ? I though it was for games :-p

How is the Trash used or set up ?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#41 Post by BarryK »

lluamco wrote:
BarryK wrote: Yes, but it shouldn't matter what the block size is, as the comparisons are relative:

Barry,
my point was trying to stress that the comparisons are not fair, since the block size of the filesystem is 4096, and the block size for files is 512. This can be checked using

stat --filesystem --format=%f' blocks of size '%S /
which in my system results in 4521177 blocks of size 4096

and

stat --format=%b' blocks of size '%B somefile 
which in turn results, for this particular file, 216 blocks of size 512

So my point is that the same block-unit size must be used for the comparison, and this can be afforded dividing EXPNEEDB by 8.

(please note double parenthesis in the above expression)
Lluis
Oh, I see. Well, I'll have to rewrite that bit of code. You can't assume 4096 either, it could be 1024 as in my case with a ext2 f.s.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Pmount does not mount USB DVD burners, but MUT does (3.0

#42 Post by BarryK »

Raman wrote:In Puppy 3.01 I have observed that MUT will recognize and mount drives when Pmount does not. Which is to say, MUT seems to be bulletproof in Puppy 3.01, whereas Pmount in Puppy 3.01 is not. Why is that? Why is MUT always able to recognize and mount drives of any sort -- especially USB mass storage devices (DVD/CDrom, external HD, flash, and so forth), while Pmount sometimes does ... but not always.

Is a puzzle. A puzzle which only deepens when using both Puppy 4 alpha's.

Because MUT is not present in both alpha Puppy 4's and Pmount seems to be deficient in recognizing and mounting USB devices, I cannot recognize or mount any of my USB devices with Puppy 4 Pmount. Puppy 4 Pmount will not mount my current USB DVD/CDrom burners or USB external hard drives or my assorted USB flash drives. I have to use Puppy 3 or Puppy 3.01 (or earlier Puppy releases) to have MUT mount these otherwise bug-free and entirely effective USB DVD/CDrom burners, external USB HD's, and USB flash drives. Only MUT in Puppy 3 and earlier will reliably recognize USB drives of whatever sort, whereas Pmount is flaky, USB-wise. What does MUT have that Pmount does not have? Why does Pmount not recognize USB drives but the earlier Puppy releases with MUT will recognize ALL USB drives of whatever sort, and do so all the time?

Would it be a burden to include MUT in Puppy 4? If not, would it be a burden to fix the obvious USB bug in Pmount? Given that USB devices are so common and critical?

Parenthetically, let me note that alpha 2 will actually recognize and enable my many RS232 serial modems, whereas alpha 1 would not.

Hail Puppy!

Raman
Raman,
Can you please open a rxvt terminal and run:
# probepart
...let me know if that correctly detects everything.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: some bugs

#43 Post by BarryK »

fwilt1 wrote:I am using dingo 392 running in ram from cd, on pentium 4 with 5112 of memory.

Impressed with ease of connecting to cable, liked the auto save, and the disappearance of having to nominate file size etc on first use.

On initial boot the screen had icons superimposed on each other, this ok on subsequent boots

On trying to load email client the desktop shows the program for about half a second then it disappears.

Contacts won't load

calendar claims
Another copy of OSMO is already running or it has been stopped uncleanly (in this case please remove '/root/.osmo/pid' file and try again).

Calc has similar fault to email, and the edit icon has a same issue., and I found after hitting initial OK in JWM the same problem
Cups found our epson cx5700F, which is a first.

So in brief hardware detection is great, but application loading seems to have a fault.
hope this helps
jim
The fact that you have a 'contacts' desktop icon means that you have upgraded an existing pup_save file, which is expressly warned against in the release announcement on my blog. This early alpha is not ready for that, and your pup_save file is stuffed up.
Please read the instructions first.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#44 Post by BarryK »

linuxcbon wrote:Hardinfo : /usr/lib/libz.so missing , it's when you choose benchmarks->CPU ZLib

The icon called "play" is for mplayer ? I though it was for games :-p
I just tested 'CPU Zlib', it works and I don't have a /usr/lib/libz.so. ...but, what I do have is /lib/libz.so as I have the 'devx' file loaded. So, I need to put that into puppy when the devx file is not loaded. done.

'play', ah yes... what is needed is a verb, a "doing word" that means to play a video file :)

cthisbear

#45 Post by cthisbear »

Raman:
" May I be permitted to _mount_ the modest proposal that MUT be included in Puppy 4? "

Vote now?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=23801

Chris

Raman

rxvt terminal running # probepart shows everything detected

#46 Post by Raman »

Dear Mr. BarryK,

You asked me to do the following: "Can you please open a rxvt terminal and run: # probepart ... let me know if that correctly detects everything."

I have done as you suggested and can report that yes, everything is detected by the Puppy alpha 2 OS and reported as such by probepart, including all the USB files (drives, etc.), but Pmount does not detect or mount any of the USB files (drives). Not in Puppy 3.01 Pmount and not in alpha 1 or alpha 2.

I have done this same rxvt terminal running probepart in Puppy 3.01, and yes, probepart reports that the OS recognizes all of the USB files, which Puppy MUT will mount all the time, but which Pmount will not mount all the time, or mount at all, depending. Depending on what is the obvious question that I cannot answer, unfortunately.

I hope this helps.

Hail Puppy!

Raman

raffy

Compaq SATA

#47 Post by raffy »

In a Compaq PC with SATA (and firewire), that is easy to check. SATA drives are visible as sdaX, but as soon as you plug in a USB drive and refresh pmount, the SATA drives disappear (from the pmount window, that is).
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

fwilt1

instructions

#48 Post by fwilt1 »

Barry
thanks for that,
The fact that you have a 'contacts' desktop icon means that you have upgraded an existing pup_save file, which is expressly warned against in the release announcement on my blog. This early alpha is not ready for that, and your pup_save file is stuffed up.
Please read the instructions first.

I will do so and try again
Jim

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#49 Post by Flash »

When I ran ddcprobe from a console of Puppy Dingo 392 (on a multisession DVD+RW) the display instantly went black and the computer locked up. The power had to be turned off before it would restart. So as an experiment I ran ddcprobe from the console of a 3.01 multisession DVD. The screen went black for a second but then came back, and the console showed the results of ddcprobe.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#50 Post by Lobster »

Looking forward to the Xorg driver (as an add on)
At the moment the highest res that xvesa can manage on my present hardware is 800x600
The new lemon theme (default) is the best and most usable (readable on TFT at 800x500) of the ones provided. Maybe variants of that can be provided by those able to design themes? The others are of very poor quality with cramped or blurry font display on my hardware . . .
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/JoesWindowManager
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 129#151129
Just a question of altering colours in a text file . . .
:D
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D