Puppy Dingo 392 testing, bug reporting

Please post any bugs you have found
CHLee

#16 Post by CHLee »

Barry , can not start the Xwindow after I add the .fonts directory in /root .
The .fonts directory was symbol link to /home/fonts directory . My pup_save.sf2 is in /had2 ( ext2 fs) .
The fonts directory content only have one font file (fireflysung.ttf) .
I use the Rox-Filer to make the symbol link , after making the symbol link,
the seamonkey can not start . Then I reboot the puppy-3.92-seamonkey
live CD , the result is Xwindow can not start . I remove the .fonts symbol link and type xwin , the Xwindow return normal .
I use this method to add fonts file since Puppy 1.08 to 3.01 , it work very good . I enjoy Puppy linux very much , thinks !

BarryK
Puppy Master

#17 Post by BarryK »

linuxcbon wrote:Boot takes too much time when copying to RAM.
Auto DHCP doesn't setup DNS address.
I have no trouble with it.
Screen refreshing rate too low.
Xvesa lags when displaying, moving windows, scrolling etc.
yes, we have always known that. alpha2 is a build with xvesa, so that's the way it is.
Video wizard icons missing.
You mean the "X Server Chooser Wizard". That shouldn't even be there, as this build dosn't have the full Xorg servers. I've now removed it.
When resizing mplayer, it disappears in the corner.
Mplayer doesn't play video double, full size but always same size.
Codecs missing for mplayer.
Mp4, 3gp, midi etc formats not recognized as sound, videos (no programs associated).
yes, there is a resizing problem. Okay, I may have to update some media file formats in Rox. JWM has a problem with displaying mplayer windows, I'll get onto Joe, the author about this.
For Hardinfo : /usr/lib/libz.so missing
Err, I don't find this problem. I tested with 'ldd /usr/bin/hardinfo' and it needs /lib/libz.so.1, which is there.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#18 Post by BarryK »

cb88 wrote:
mplayer is still locking up my big PC so not a speed thing

are you not starting it with gmplayer?

is there any way to prevent mplayer from opening again if you click on a new file...?
I'm using a script, /usr/bin/mplayershell, to start mplayer. This is supposed to detect any special situations. Yes, gmplayer is used. The script could detect if mplayer already running then not start another instance ...but would everyone want that? or, I suppose the old instance could just be killed.

tronkel

Seamonkey startup

#19 Post by tronkel »

On my ancient pre-2000 hardware here (400MHz AMD 192MB RAM), Puppy's built-in Seamonkey was always a slow starter (and also slow in browsing).

The versions downloaded direct from Mozilla were always a bit faster and even more so with the latest version 1.1.6.

The new cut-down Seamonkey is even faster to the extent that it is about twice as fast on startup times as the previous built-in versions 1.1.2 to 1.1.5.

Also, Seamonkey's performance doesn't seem to degrade as much over time, as is the case with the the later versions of Firefox., even if the browser is left running for an extended period. Has Seamonkey cured
the supposed "memory-leak problems" whereas Firefox has failed to do so?
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

BarryK
Puppy Master

#20 Post by BarryK »

Raffy wrote:
Re NTFS, when I mounted one NTFS partition, it displayed a red window saying "illegal option --i". Despite this, the NTFS partition was opened read-only. My take on this: leave NTFS alone (just read it, don't write on it), and use extra HD space through Gparted. Using NTFS and coping with its idiosyncracies is a waste of time, IMHO.
Raffy, did you use pmount to mount that partition? I looked at the /bin/mount script and cannot see any way that a '--i' parameter can be there. So, I'm wondering if you tried to mount it some other way. But, as you got that red window it means the mount script did run -- but, the mount script screens out all passed parameters that start with a '-', so I'm puzzled.

plinej

#21 Post by plinej »

the /usr/share/themes/Stardust/gtk-2.0/gtkrc file has an error. Line 443 should read:

base[PRELIGHT] = "#ffffff" #??

not:

base[PRELIGHT] = "ffffff" #??

Sage

#22 Post by Sage »

Sometimes I get the red screen in Pmount in 4alpha when looking at NTFS but I've ignored it as it is clearly incorrect - the NTFS files are visible. MUT sees all my drives without any spurious messages.

Maybe the Puppy 4 Alpha1 thread could be amalgamated with this one? The renumbering might be confusing, but perhaps John's board could edit out 4 alpha in the same way as on Barry's blog?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#23 Post by BarryK »

plinej wrote:the /usr/share/themes/Stardust/gtk-2.0/gtkrc file has an error. Line 443 should read:

base[PRELIGHT] = "#ffffff" #??

not:

base[PRELIGHT] = "ffffff" #??
Thanks, it's fixed.

raffy

NTFS mounting

#24 Post by raffy »

Yes, it's pmount. Puppy users rarely use other ways of mounting, I guess. :)

Also, in a SATA-using PC that I tested, pmount hides the /dev/sdax (hard disk partitions) whenever I plug in a USB drive. This is where MUT can recover but pmount can't (I have tested that before, and it is the same with 4 alpha2). EDIT: Just to clarify, there is no MUT in 4alpha2 so no comparison this time.

HairyWill

#25 Post by HairyWill »

I've just realised that the dropping of gtk1 means that pptpconfig probably won't work. I've just tried installing the existing dotpup I made and it is giving gtk errors. I don't think it will compile for gtk2 and it seems like, the author, James Cameron views it as a bit of a millstone. Debian and Ubuntu seem to have dropped it in favour of a Network Manager plugin which I still haven't got working on Debian Lenny. To be fair I don't have much Debian experience and only tried for about 4 hours.
Looks like it will be back to the command line to manage my VPN connection, this is a shame as pptpconfig did it better than me!

Really I think zigbert should learn how to use pptpclient and write us a nice shiny gtkdialog app. :wink: I'm sure it wouldn't be much work pptpconfig.php is only 2200 lines long!
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

lluamco

petget and not enough disk space

#26 Post by lluamco »

This concerns Dingo 392 and also previous puppy versions.

Sometimes, when installing a pet package using the petget manager, a window warns that there is not enough space left on the disk. And often, there is enough space! I think that the reason is that the the units measuring the free space of the disk and the units of the estimated needed space are NOT the same. In fact, checking the output of the "stat" program, it can be seen that they are given in blocks of sizes 4096 and 512, respectively.
There is thus a factor 8 among them. Thus the required estimated space in petget is overestimated by this factor 8.
I suggest to change the line:

EXPNEEDB=`expr $EXPFILEB \* 3` #bz2 can expand up to x3, need twice temp space. v3.01 changed 5 to 3.

to

EXPNEEDB=$(($(($EXPFREEB*3))/8))

Hope it helps.
Lluis

plinej

#27 Post by plinej »

After changing to the Stardust theme shouldn't all the yellow be gone in the taskbar? I rarely use jwm so I'm not sure what I need to do to get it to change with the theme.
Attachments
desktop.jpg
(24.16 KiB) Downloaded 857 times

jonyo

Re: Puppy Dingo 392 testing, bug reporting

#28 Post by jonyo »

BarryK wrote:...some people do not get the picture, are not in the spirit of it, and really should not be involved in testing an alpha.
No doubt about it & a few.. ought not be involved at all!
alienjeff wrote:Now that's the spirit! Way to rally the troops!
Last edited by jonyo on Sat 17 May 2008, 02:31, edited 1 time in total.

ArnaudN

#29 Post by ArnaudN »

Hi everyone,
Just played with dingo a few minutes on my laptop.

My remarks:
- Screen resolution not well detected;
- Network well detected with bcm43xx chipset, but dhcp returns ok but IP is wrong;
- Read-only warning when mouting ntfs partition;
- Local flash games very fluid

cb88

#30 Post by cb88 »

umm just for clarification which is it that really works gmplayer or mplayershell?
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

raffy

drag n drop

#31 Post by raffy »

Just to clarify, I drag and drop video files to the mplayer desktop icon, so it's the file linked to by the desktop icon that does the work.

I also remember that based on previous discussions, the options below are needed to minimize messages in /tmp:

Code: Select all

/usr/local/bin/gmplayer -msglevel all=-1 &
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

HairyWill

#32 Post by HairyWill »

I still can't load the module ieee80211_crypt_wep so no wep on my ipw2200. Does this mean that no-one has working wep.

Unencrypted wireless works fine, I've never tried playing with any stronger encryption.

Since Barry built the iso, pnethood has become much more solid.
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

NathanO

#33 Post by NathanO »

3.92 works good on my tower, xversa will work.

Had problems with xversa on my HP zv9000 laptop, it would not give me an option that would work with the built in LCD.

Xorg in 3.01 works on both.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: petget and not enough disk space

#34 Post by BarryK »

lluamco wrote:This concerns Dingo 392 and also previous puppy versions.

Sometimes, when installing a pet package using the petget manager, a window warns that there is not enough space left on the disk. And often, there is enough space! I think that the reason is that the the units measuring the free space of the disk and the units of the estimated needed space are NOT the same. In fact, checking the output of the "stat" program, it can be seen that they are given in blocks of sizes 4096 and 512, respectively.
There is thus a factor 8 among them. Thus the required estimated space in petget is overestimated by this factor 8.
I suggest to change the line:

EXPNEEDB=`expr $EXPFILEB \* 3` #bz2 can expand up to x3, need twice temp space. v3.01 changed 5 to 3.

to

EXPNEEDB=$(($(($EXPFREEB*3))/8))

Hope it helps.
Lluis
Yes, but it shouldn't matter what the block size is, as the comparisons are relative:

Code: Select all

EXPFREEB=`stat --filesystem --format=%f /` #no. free blocks.
  EXPFILEB=`stat --format=%b $APKGNAMEEX` #no. blocks.
  EXPNEEDB=`expr $EXPFILEB \* 2` #bz2 can expand up to x3, need twice temp space. v3.01 changed 5 to 3. v3.92 changed to 2.
  #note, probably better to do like this: EXPNEEDB=$($(($EXPFREEB*3)))
  if [ $EXPNEEDB -gt $EXPFREEB ];then
Anyway, I've changed it down again, from *3 to *2.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#35 Post by BarryK »

plinej wrote:After changing to the Stardust theme shouldn't all the yellow be gone in the taskbar? I rarely use jwm so I'm not sure what I need to do to get it to change with the theme.
You must have used the JWM theme changer as well as the GTK theme changer. Yes, that would be a bug in the JWM theme that you have chosen, someone would have to fix that.
You can find the JWM configuration PET package on ibiblio, ...er no, I'll post it here as I have recently fixed something in it. Attached.
Attachments
jwmconfig-4nov07.tar.gz
(25.48 KiB) Downloaded 448 times