Puppy Dingo 392 testing, bug reporting

Please post any bugs you have found
nic2109

#121 Post by nic2109 »

BarryK wrote:ALSA, as used in Puppy, does not have the snd-hda-codec.ko module. So, I have no idea what it is.

My laptop uses snd-hda-intel.ko and it works. Prior to Puppy3 it did not work, so the upgrade of ALSA fixed it. Dingo will be having another upgrade of ALSA soon.
Ubuntu is using ALSA too, so maybe it's a seriously different different version - the kernel is quite a bit older. All I know is that the sound output is SO much better than Puppy's.

Puppy sort of "works", but is very muffled and indistinct. Speech synthesis is really distorted and approaching useless. Even the welcome woof-woof is really hard to hear on my modern laptop, just as it was on its predecessor an ancient desktop which also used snd-hda-intel. :(

PaulBx1

#122 Post by PaulBx1 »

Maybe try unloading snd-hda-intel on that system and see if it ends up sounding like Puppy? Just a thought...

BarryK
Puppy Master

#123 Post by BarryK »

Yes, there were older versions of ALSA for which the snd_hda driver worked well, then there was a version upgrade and it stopped working on many systems. The developer fixed it and sound works again. Perhaps that '_codecs' driver is for that old ALSA version, from before the broken versions of ALSA.
Sound quality seems ok on my laptop -- but then it's really tinny anyway due to the pathetic little speakers.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

nic2109

#124 Post by nic2109 »

BarryK wrote:Perhaps that '_codecs' driver is for that old ALSA version, from before the broken versions of ALSA.
I've just looked at 2.14R and the _codec is present. The sound is OK too, though not everything I'd like. Hi-Fi it isn't, but it's a good deal better than Dingo's.

I'm not sure where this leaves us with Dingo, though. I guess as it "works" it's low priority for attention.

As ever, we'll run with what you give us.

raffy

fdisk and disktype results

#125 Post by raffy »

Still on the subject of Compaq Presario PC with Firewire:

Code: Select all

# probedisk
/dev/sda|Direct-Access|ATA     SAMSUNG SP0812C 
/dev/sdb|Direct-Access|Brother DCP-110C        
/dev/sdc|Direct-Access|Generic USB SD Reader   
/dev/sdd|Direct-Access|Generic USB CF Reader   
/dev/sde|Direct-Access|Generic USB SM Reader   
/dev/sdf|Direct-Access|Generic USB MS Reader   
/dev/sdg|Direct-Access|JetFlashTS512MJFV30     
/dev/sdh|Direct-Access|USB 2.0 Flash Disk      
/dev/hdc|cdrom|HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H10N

# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80060424192 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9733 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1               1         654     5253223+   c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/sda2   *         655        9667    72396922+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3            9668        9733      530145   82  Linux swap / Solaris
Disktype returns "Can't stat ... No such file or directory". But it works well on the SATA drives.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

BarryK
Puppy Master

#126 Post by BarryK »

Disktype returns "Can't stat ... No such file or directory". But it works well on the SATA drives.
That's really weird. What about querying the entire drive:
# disktype /dev/sdg

If disktype can't even access it, I don't know how MUT can.

Well, 'fdisk -l' doesn't list the lash drives either, so something is really wrong with the usb interface. I presume that 'jetflash' drive is usb also?

The kernel and drivers are not able to work properly with the usb hardware, so it will be interesting to see what happens with Dingo alpha3, with the new 2.6.24-rc4 kernel.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

raffy

new kernel

#127 Post by raffy »

Yes, the new kernel hopefully could make a difference.

FYI, I tried using "disktype /dev/hdX" and the result was the same.

Yes, Jetflash is a USB drive, too.

Sage

#128 Post by Sage »

Woo-hoo, as the late Steve Irwin might've exclaimed. After grappling with F8 yesterday (2.6.23.?) and the redesignated drive handling, this one could drive folks nuts. One step forward, two steps back....

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#129 Post by Flash »

BarryK wrote:
Flash wrote:When I ran ddcprobe from a console of Puppy Dingo 392 (on a multisession DVD+RW) the display instantly went black and the computer locked up. The power had to be turned off before it would restart. So as an experiment I ran ddcprobe from the console of a 3.01 multisession DVD. The screen went black for a second but then came back, and the console showed the results of ddcprobe.
So does ddcprobe work fine without X running? -- is this a conflict between a running X and the ddcprobe on your video hardware?
Sorry it took so long to reply. It's Christmas, what can I say. :)

Anyway, I burned Dingo4 Alpha3 to a DVD and booted it in my latest toy. Xorg let me choose 1360 x 768. The icons on the desktop look stretched sideways (what should be circles are ovals) but when I played a movie in Gxine it looked fine.