Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 19 Nov 2018, 15:58
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
pBurn 4.3.16
Page 26 of 157 [2347 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, ..., 155, 156, 157 Next
Nathan F

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jul 2008, 16:14    Post subject:  

In the box_chooser script -
Code:

<chooser>
   <height>500</height><width>600</width>
   <variable>CHOOSER</variable>
   <action>EXIT:OK</action>
  </chooser>

The <action>EXIT:OK</action> line is my addition and allows the user to doubleclick on a file rather than having to press the OK button. A small timesaver for the user.

I was thinking, why not change the entrybox for the file chooser, which shows the path and allows you to enter a path to jump to, to a combobox and add in the user's gtk bookmarks? Perhaps even add in their ROX-Filer bookmarks too? That would make it quick and easy to navigate to places they go to often. I may do some experimentation with the idea.

Nathan

Nathan F

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jul 2008, 23:31    Post subject:  

Well it was a nice idea, and I could have made it work except that currently gtkdialog's combobox can't accept a command for input.
Code:
<combobox><input>ls</input></combobox>

That should create a combobox with an item for each file in the current dir (as in the gtkdialog examples) but it creates an empty combobox. So that feature is broken in gtkdialog.

I have another idea which I think I may be able to implement though - mime icons in the file selector. The tree widget, I recently discovered, can accept an extra parameter to the input tag - icon_column="0", so when you build the tree you tack on an icon like so -
Code:
gtk-directory|..
gtk-directory|some-subdirectory/
gtk-file|some-file

If you understand gtkdialog somewhat the picture should be understandable. You get a tree widget with the ability to specify the icon to go next to each item in the tree. That would add a little visual distinction between filetypes in the file selector, just like in the regular gtk+ file chooser widget.

I'd still like to figure out a way to implement the bookmarks idea, but can't think of another reasonable way to do it that wouldn't clutter up the interface too much. The regular gtk+ file chooser widget puts the bookmarks in a tree format with the label "Places" but adding another tree would take up too much room in the interface, which is why I wanted to do it with the combobox widget. Perhaps a menu widget, placed inside the <hbox> along with the path entry and "Go" button? Just little button that when you click on it you get a drop down menu with your gtk bookmarks. But gtkdialog limits you to using a text label for a menu rather than an icon, and a small icon would be better for that purpose. Well, I'm playing with the concept a little bit right now.

Nathan

Nathan F

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jul 2008, 00:13    Post subject:  

OK, got something here. Just a little button next to the path entry box (see 1st screenshot) which opens a dropdown menu with your gtk bookmarks (2nd screenshot). Makes jumping from one directory to another in pburn quick and easy. Choose an item from the drop down menu and the path associated with that bookmark is loaded in the path entry box. Diff file included (func_gui is the only file modified).

Nathan
bookmarks.diff.gz
Description  Diff file to add gtk bookmarks to pburn file selector
gz

Download 
Filename  bookmarks.diff.gz 
Filesize  787 Bytes 
Downloaded  355 Time(s) 
pburn-bookmarks1.png
 Description   Bookmarks closed
 Filesize   8.5 KB
 Viewed   746 Time(s)

pburn-bookmarks1.png

pburn-bookmarks2.png
 Description   Bookmarks open
 Filesize   22.56 KB
 Viewed   760 Time(s)

pburn-bookmarks2.png

Nathan F

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jul 2008, 00:35    Post subject:  

Hmm, I wonder should clicking on a bookmark just update the path entry box, or should it make the browser jump right to that directory? Any comments?

Nathan

zigbert

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jul 2008, 04:38    Post subject:  

Hi Nathan

I have added the bookmarks. Will be in 1.9.5. Thanks a lot for your contributions.

2byte has worked hard to fix a major bug, so we need a new release soon.

I upgraded box_chooser with EXIT:OK, but couldn't see any changes. I am not able to doubleclick to activate. Are you using a newer gtk?

icon_column="0" sounds interesting. Very Happy

Sigmund

zigbert

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jul 2008, 04:53    Post subject:  

Nathan

Made a quick test with the <tree icon_column="0">, but couldn't get it to work. Have you?

Sigmund

Nathan F

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jul 2008, 08:13    Post subject:  

Sigmud -

The icon_column attribute actually goes iside the input tag, like so:
Code:
<input icon_column=\"0\">some commad to build the tree</input>

Seems counterintuitive to me also but that's how it works.

I also noticed a mistake in my own code. I specified an icon which is not available in Puppy since I have the Tango theme installed. Each istance in my patch which specifies icon=\"folder\" should specify "gtk-directory" for the icon instead. And I plan to revise the code slightly so that the Desktop entry only shows up if there actually IS a Desktop folder in $HOME.

The gtk+ on my system is actually somewhat older than in Pup4. Not sure why the doubleclick works for me and not for you. I wonder if this is a problem accross the board, because I use a doubleclick in my wallpaper setter, also in a chooser widget, to apply an image to the desktop.

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your contributions.

Of course my friend. Thanks for Pburn, Pfilesearch, Pfind, Pstopwatch, etc. And for all the tips I've garnered out of your code the last couple months.

Nathan

zigbert

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jul 2008, 10:44    Post subject:  

Nathan

Yes, I got the icons now. Thanks!!! Browsing becomes a bit slower, so I'll see if I keep the icons for Pburn 2. I looks absolutely better.

Quote:
Thanks for Pburn, Pfilesearch, Pfind, Pstopwatch, etc.
I have only one thing to say: Watch out for more!
pmusic.png
 Description   
 Filesize   28.36 KB
 Viewed   573 Time(s)

pmusic.png

Nathan F

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jul 2008, 11:40    Post subject:  

Quote:
Yes, I got the icons now. Thanks!!! Browsing becomes a bit slower, so I'll see if I keep the icons for Pburn 2. I looks absolutely better.

You beat me to it, but that's OK. Another thought, if it does slow down the browser then it could be made configurable in the preferences dialog. Slightly more complicated code, better looking and more intuitive for users with fast eough processors. No change for those who don't want the icons.

That music player looks really interesting. Are you actually developing a music player using gtkdialog? That's more than I ever thought to attempt Shocked

Nathan

disciple

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jul 2008, 06:55    Post subject:  

I am curious as to why you see the need for a gtkdialog music player? Do you think it might be able to replace Gxine? Or is it for fun?

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER
zigbert

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jul 2008, 04:18    Post subject:  

If Gxine fills your need, you don't need Pmusic. But if you
- think that Gxine handles playlists badly
- want to index your music for faster and more flexible song-handling
- want a more Puppy-integrated music manager
- want to enable multiple playlists
- think wxMusik or other are just too big or that they only accept english chars

Pmusic is only 30kb and have NO other dependencies that already are in Puppy 4.

And yes, it is a fun project.....Let's see how far we can push gtkdialog. Smile

Sigmund

zigbert

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jul 2008, 04:34    Post subject:  

Version 1.9.5 is uploaded
See main post

2byte has been VERY helpful with a major bugfix. Pburn now handles DVD+RW and multisession burning.

Nathan has done some magic with the browser. Take a look.

Thanks!
Sigmund

Nathan F

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jul 2008, 21:53    Post subject:  

The icons in the browser look great Very Happy . Glad to have been able to help in some small way. Browsing doesn't seem too terribly slow on my machine, but maybe a slower processor might have more difficulty.

Nathan

disciple

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jul 2008, 19:01    Post subject:  

OK, two issues (using Puppy 4.0):

1. The first bug I reported here is present still/again.

2. Also I see lots of
Code:
(gtkdialog3:21856): Gtk-WARNING **: could not load image: Icon '' not present in theme

I'm not sure if this is normal or not. Are we supposed to just have two icons, one for a folder, and the other for any type of file? If so, I don't think there is a problem, because everything has one of the two icons.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER
zigbert

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jul 2008, 04:18    Post subject:  

dicsiple

1. Let's try one more time Smile
2. This is not a bug, as long as icons show up in Pburns browser and burnlist (in data mode). I don't know how to redirect gtkdialog output to /dev/null, to prevent all this errors coming to terminal. The icons are fetched from the gtk-icon-theme, and cannot be freely set. So it is rather limited amount of icons. At last it is also a speed issue.

Thanks for feedback
Sigmund

Page 26 of 157 [2347 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, ..., 155, 156, 157 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
Jump to: