pBurn 4.3.19

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
B.K. Johnson

#2221 Post by B.K. Johnson »

zigbert wrote:
B.K. Johnson
#666philb

when blanking change 'audio cd' to 'CD' in the 'media type' box
Thanks for this tip. It worked Cool . Kinda funny though, that in order to blank a rewriteable one has to tell the software that it's a CD, a media type we all know can't be erased Rolling Eyes
Does this mean: If I remove the CD-audio option as mediatype (set it to CD instead) everything would be good ?
I agree, there is no logic in providing CD-audio as an option.
You would have to look into your code to confirm whether or not it would be good :) . 666philb can tell how he came up with the hint. My experience is this: I burnt 2 CD-RWs uing pBurn-4-?, resulting in potential coasters :( . I have already told how I came to revitalized one RW. On getting Phil's hint, I launched pBurn-3.7.18 (with ffmpeg-avconv link), inserted the bad CD-RW, clicked the "Blank disc" tab, and on the Blank disc dialogbox [Blank (erase) disc tab] selected 'blank complete', changed the media type to CD and it worked. That's all I know.

I doubted very much that you'd have set "audio CD" as the default mediatype. I suspected that when I inserted the audio CD (on RW) the program logic considered it a read only CD because it was an 'audio CD', and displayed that in the usage meter. I guessed the Blank disc screen then "picked up" this media type. To test my "hypothesis" I tried different media types. The results are shown in the accompanying screenie (pB_mediatype_disp):

It is obvious that when the 'Blank disc' tab is clicked the mediatype has already been determined and brought forward. Removing 'Audio CD' option as you contemplate would not make sense unless you don't test specifically for an audio CD, in which case the media is either CD or DVD; recordable or rewritable. Then on the 'Blank disc' screen you would have the incongruity of having CD and DVD recordables in the drive when the user clicks the burn icon. I submit to you zigbert that this should not be so. The problem is that at no time prior to calling the blanking routine does the code test for Rewriteable media; it tests for Audio CD, CD and DVD. Note that when an Audio CD is created on a DVD, 'DVD' appears as the mediatype in the 'Blank disc' screen, NOT 'Audio CD'.

FACT: The only media that is blankable is rewriteables. I suggest that you test early for rewritable media (CD or DVD) and set a flag. I would leave the meter display as it is now: Audio CD, CD Closed, CD or DVD. When the option to blank a disc is selected, the first thing the routine should do is check the flag. if the flag is not set, send an error message (media is not erasble) and exit the blank selection. Since you know at this stage that the media is CD-RW or DVD-RW, there is no need for a drop-down box for the user doesn't have a selection to make. A simple statement: 'Mediatype is CD Rewritable' or 'DVD Rewritable' would suffice. But if you insist, keep the drop-down menu populated with Audio CD, CD or DVD. There would be no confusion since now it would be clearly understood that although the mediatype is audio cd, it is erasable.

B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.2 PAE, slacko-5.7, frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM

Attachments
pB_mediatype_disp.png
Chart of what is displayed for various mediatypes.
(53.27 KiB) Downloaded 928 times

zigbert

#2222 Post by zigbert »

I had no idea that DVD-R(W) could be used as Audio CD. pBurn is atm not set up to support this. If it works - it is pure luck.

I have made an attempt to solve this within the coding structure already available. This screenshot is showing the new default settings when trying to blank an audio CD.
What do you think?
Attachments
Screenshot_2015-05-29_222337.jpg
(35.46 KiB) Downloaded 740 times

don570

#2223 Post by don570 »

Instead of
Erase all datas on disk
change to
Erase the table and all data on a re-writable disk
By the way DVD TV recorders have the ability to blank a re-writable disk

B.K. Johnson

#2224 Post by B.K. Johnson »

zigbert wrote:
I had no idea that DVD-R(W) could be used as Audio CD. pBurn is atm not set up to support this. If it works - it is pure luck.
Actually; I didn't know either. This is not an audio CD I made. As the house is in a turmoil atm my audio CDs were not readily at hand. When I did find a stray one, pBurn showed the mediatype as DVD and displayed the usual note about blanking DVDs. I don't know if that is abnormal.
I have made an attempt to solve this within the coding structure already available. This screenshot is showing the new default settings when trying to blank an audio CD.
What do you think?
Assuming a CD-RW has been used to burn a CD and the user chooses to blank the media, this is likely to work. as it seems to conform to 666philb's fix, but I don't know what you have changed :wink: . Sigmund, you are focussing on blanking a Audio CD. The screen is not about Audio CD. There is no need to specifically address audio CD, so I can't agree on the screen text. This is about blanking media and that applies only to rewritables. The more appropriate text, I think, would be:

Code: Select all

Only rewriteable media can be blanked.
For Rewritables with data, use the Fast blank option.
For Audio CDs on rewritables, use the Blank complete option.
I would also slightly modify the text for DVD-RWs I would amend the 'NOTE' line to be:

This note applies only to rewritable media.
What do I think? I think it is a kludge . A fix "within the coding structure already available" makes it so. The fix does not address the 2 fundamental issues which arose from kludging the creation of audio CDs . Kludge on kludge. A good programmer would probably cringe if he looked at the code. These issues are not even acknowledged.
1. A user should not have to think when he selexts the blank option. If a recordable is in the drive he should be denied access immediately. Only when a rewritable is in place should he be able to continue, BECAUSE ONLY REWRITABLES ARE ERASABLE. With the current "coding structure", a user could mistakenly attempt to erase a recordable and have the drive spin "forever". This should not happen. Good software protects the user from his own folly.
2. pBurn does not provide an appropriate meter for the user who is creating an audio CD. The meter pBurn has, though adequate for other burn operations, is useless for audio CD creation.

I don't think you understand the issues. Either that or you won't acknowledge them; you don't want to hear of them; you don't intend to deal with them; you don't care and you will do what you want.

I have done all I can to let you see the light. pBurn is your baby, Do with it as you wish. Consider this as my last post on the matter and smile.

B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.2 PAE, slacko-5.7, frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM

zigbert

#2225 Post by zigbert »

Thank you guys for the feedback
Only when a rewritable is in place should he be able to continue, BECAUSE ONLY REWRITABLES ARE ERASABLE.
This is true if blanking is equal to erasing. But if blanking means hiding existing data, recordable DVD's can be blanked. But still it requires detection of recordable DVD's because the blanking command is different than the format-command used for erasing.

Detection of a RW/R DVD or RE/R BD is not hard, but for CD, I don't know how. We have been through this before, but maybe things have evolved the recent years. Do anyone know how to tell if an insterted CD is a RW disc or not?
2. pBurn does not provide an appropriate meter for the user who is creating an audio CD. The meter pBurn has, though adequate for other burn operations, is useless for audio CD creation.
If you activate the radiobutton 'Burn Audio' in the main window, the meter becomes audio-friendly.

sheldonisaac

Detecting CD-R or CD-RW disc

#2226 Post by sheldonisaac »

.. anyone know how to tell if an inserted CD is a RW disc or not?
I found this on line, http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... ter-712856

~> cdrecord -prcap dev=/dev/cdrom 2>/dev/null | grep 'Current:'
Current: CD-RW
Current: CD-R
It's the DVD-RW drive on this Dell Latitude E6420 laptop.
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

zigbert

Re: Detecting CD-R or CD-RW disc

#2227 Post by zigbert »

sheldonisaac wrote:
.. anyone know how to tell if an inserted CD is a RW disc or not?
I found this on line, http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... ter-712856

Current: CD-RW
Current: CD-R
It's the DVD-RW drive on this Dell Latitude E6420 laptop.
Wonderful - I got some work to do :D

Thank you
Sigmund

don570

#2228 Post by don570 »

I ran

cdrecord -prcap dev=/dev/cdrom
It showed that cd device is readable and burnable
and dvd device is readable only ---> correct :D

I plugged in a portable LG GP-30 DVD writer
and it is ignored by the above command :? :?

I tried

cdrecord -prcap dev=/dev/sr1
and the correct details about the portable DVD writer showed up in console.

The output is attached.
Attachments
cdrecord-don570.tar.gz
output of cdrecord command
(2.37 KiB) Downloaded 243 times

zigbert

#2229 Post by zigbert »

Version 4.3.15
See main post

Changelog
- Error msg if trying to blank a non-rewritable disc. (Thanks to B.K. Johnson)
- Detection of CD-RW disc (thanks to sheldonisaac)
- Bugfix: Blanking of Audio-CD (CD-RW) has wrong default values. (Thanks to B.K. Johnson)
- Bugfix: Blanking of BD-RE doesn't set correct default mediatype drop-down menu.
- Bugfix: DVD-R burnt as Video-DVD (closed) are not detected in statusbar in main window.

don570

#2230 Post by don570 »

delete
Last edited by don570 on Thu 11 Jun 2015, 21:16, edited 1 time in total.

ASRI éducation

#2231 Post by ASRI éducation »

Sorry, wrong post.
Projet ASRI éducation => [url=http://asri-education.org/]Association[/url] | [url=http://forum.asri-education.org/]Forum[/url] | [url=http://dl01.asri-education.org/]Dépôt[/url] | [url=http://kids.asri-education.org/]Espace kids[/url]

don570

#2232 Post by don570 »

pburn 4.3.15 using april64 distro
My experiences trying to write an Audio CD on a DVD+RW...

1) Launching pburn ---> it successfully detected that two burners were available.

2) First I tried to erase a DVD disk that already had TV programs on it.
In Advanced --> the 'Dummy' option was chosen however
this resulted in error in terminal (see log report)

growisofs -use-the-force-luke=dummy -use-the-force-luke=notray -use-the-force-luke=tty  -Z /dev/sr1=/dev/zero

3) I unticked the 'Dummy' option and did an erase.

This did the erase, but it didn't do the formating so I had to do this with
my DVD TV recorder.

When I tried to burn an Audio CD I got warning messages.

4) I was able to burn a DATA disk .

(8.28 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
Last edited by don570 on Thu 11 Jun 2015, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.

don570

#2233 Post by don570 »

To do the erase I clicked the 'Burn' button.
A bit confusing. 'Proceed' would be better.

Last edited by don570 on Thu 11 Jun 2015, 21:47, edited 1 time in total.

don570

#2234 Post by don570 »

When saving the log to a FAT32 disk I got an error,
because there is a colon in the filename.
It's best to use a hyphen or underscore character in the date

zigbert

#2235 Post by zigbert »

Thank you don570 for you feedback!
Log filename will be using hyphen instead of colon - great catch.
don570 wrote:To do the erase I clicked the 'Burn' button.
A bit confusing. 'Proceed' would be better.
This button is generic and is the same for all kinds of operation. I suggest 'Start operation' instead of 'Burn'.

I won't dig into the DVD/AudioCD atm. I don't find it important.

Sigmund

don570

#2236 Post by don570 »

I suggest 'Start operation' instead of 'Burn'.
Yes. It makes more sense to user. In the Microsoft World I've noticed that
many programs have a button labelled 'Apply' when they want
to start an operation. mtpaint has an 'Apply' button too .

zigbert

#2237 Post by zigbert »

Version 4.3.16
See main post

Changelog
- Tooltip for generic action-button in burn-options dialog is changed to 'Start operation'. (thanks to don570)
- Bugfix: Log filename uses : and won't work in a fat32 filesystem. (thanks to don570)

bigpup

#2238 Post by bigpup »

test
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

scientist

P burn issue

#2239 Post by scientist »

Hope I posted in the right place.

I am having problems with P-burn.

When I add files to be burned onto CD, it never completes.

Hard drive light never goes out.

There is nothing wrong with the CD or the files that I want to burn.
Thanks,
Andy

Slacko 6.3.0 FULL INSTALL
JWM
File Manager - Thunar

bigpup

#2240 Post by bigpup »

scientist,

How is Slacko 5.9.3 installed?
Frugal or full and on what device?

What version of Pburn?

What type of burn?
Data?
Audio?
Video?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)