pBurn 4.3.19

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
B.K. Johnson

#2206 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Hi mikeslr
Sorry for the unavoidable delay in responding, but here goes.
You wrote:
Open rox and browse to /usr/bin.
Right-click an empty space and from the drop-down menu, select Windows>Terminal Here. A terminal will open. Create a symlink, named ffmpeg, to avconv. The code to type in the terminal is:

ln -s avconv ffmpeg

Press return.
I did not get the Windows>Terminal on the right-click but used emelfm2 to achieve the task of opening a terminal window at /usr/bin.
I set up the link. and followed the instructions.
As you can see from the accompanying screenshot (mikeslr_solution_ok), ffmpeg showed ok with the dependency check.

Now the burn trial
The burn of an 11 track CD succeeded and I was eventually able to play it :D . Thanks Sherlock :) .

The resultant CD appeared in the device list - sr0. I expected pmusic to be automatically launched and play but when it didn't I clicked the sr0 icon. That brought up a graphic with an invitation to play (screenshot=cd_detected)but when I clicked the play button VLC playlist panel just showed cdda.

It seems my default player VLC, needs a codec/plug-in of some sort. I guess that's a different problem to be looked into.

Launched Menu->Multimedia->pCD and though there was a short delay, the cd tracks came up and played beatifully. Played in Deadbeat also.
Attachments
cd_detected.png
cd_detected
(97.2 KiB) Downloaded 482 times
mikeslr_solution_ok.png
mikeslr_solution_ok
(6.07 KiB) Downloaded 502 times

mikeslr

Glad it worked : Ubuntu's ffmpeg discussed in post

#2207 Post by mikeslr »

Glad the simplest work-around worked for pBurn.

The more time-consuming possible solutions just got more time-consuming.

If I ever successfully cobble together a functional ffmpeg for Tahrpup, I'll post about it on its own thread.

Sorry zigbert for having temporarily hijacked pBurn's thread.

mikesLr

zigbert

Re: Glad it worked : Ubuntu's ffmpeg discussed in post

#2208 Post by zigbert »

mikeslr wrote:Sorry zigbert for having temporarily hijacked pBurn's thread.
:lol:

bigpup

#2209 Post by bigpup »

zigbert,

Thanks for constantly improving this program!!!!!
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

zigbert

#2210 Post by zigbert »

TahrPup users look here

666philb

#2211 Post by 666philb »

here's the latest pburn with deps for tahrpup. if it's to be including in the up coming servicepack it will need to be tested.

i haven't got a cdburner so if people could test as many features as possible
particularly burning audio cds and video cds

thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7wlokl3be27dd ... s.pet?dl=0

EDIT: you'll also need the gtkdialog from here .... just grab the one for precise http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 526#707526
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

B.K. Johnson

Mysteries in pBurn and PeasyDisc

#2212 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Hi All
As Yogi Berra reputedly said: It ain't over till it's over.

Mysteries in pBurn and PeasyDisc

I used a CD-RW to burn an audio cd using 666philb's pBurn-4.3.14. As reported here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 310#846310
it failed.
Subsequent to the failed attempt I tried to reuse the RW disc with pBurn-3.7.18 with mikeslr's ffmpeg/avconv symlink. pBurn sees the RW as an audio CD and therefore not erasable. It does not see the disk as a rewriteable. However, I had already burnt an audio CD then erased and burn to it again on that very RW, so I could not understand why pBurn refused on several attempts to overwrite or blank the RW. bigpup's failed try with the same pBurn was with a CD-R so no help there.Was it due to the condition of the media, or the manner in which the burn was done; hence the warning in my post?

I launched rcrsn51's PeasyDisc to see it it would blank the disc. It went through the process seemingly without a problem but pBurn still reported the RW as a read only CD. I concluded that PeasyDisc only did a "Fast Blank", not a full erase.

I again blanked the RW in PeasyDisc, then chose to burn an ISO. As reported in the first line of the screen output, the media was recognized as removable and the software completed the burn of the ISO - 437MB . But when I clicked on the CD icon a pBurn dialog appeared, informing that the disc was most likely blank and invited me to run pBurn. This I did. To my surprise, pBurn now showed the RW as blank - 652 MB free. The PeasyDisc burn of the ISO did not happen, but the process fully erased the disc.

I then chose to burn with pBurn the same SRCD iso that Peasy failed to burn. It went through the process and deliveed a bootable CD.

Conclusions:
pBurn's first check ought to be whether the disc is a recordable or rewriteable and allow blanking even if it is an audio cd. Since I had deleted an audio CD on RW before, this may be irrelevant. It is just that the pBurn created a structure that made the RW unrecognizable as such.

rcrsn51's PeasyDisc needs to offer full erase, not only "fast erase". The full erase seems to have happened during the burniso but the data was not written.

Sorry, no screenies. Had them in /root but lost them on a power outage.
B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.2 PAE, slacko-5.7, frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM

666philb

#2213 Post by 666philb »

B.K.johnson

when blanking change 'audio cd' to 'CD' in the 'media type' box
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

zigbert

#2214 Post by zigbert »

Through the years of pBurn development, there has been different approaches of how burning-commands should be set up. - A logic evolving of any program, but when it comes to hardware-related functions, - this is harder. Especially CD/DVD/BD-devices (and their vendors) do not agree how to do the burning in an optimal way. Blanking is for sure one of these operations where procedures differs.

I feel pBurn today offers a decent set of features that works for many/most users. It will NEVER satisfy 100% of the users because of the mentioned issues.

BUT, if we see several reports of a similar issue, I will of course evaluate the state of pBurn... What is important here, is that every new burning-command must be tested in a variety of devices to verify that the new command actually gives a better overall performance. I have found this troublesome because burning is not as common as in 2005 which gives us less testers, and I have only 1 device available.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2215 Post by Flash »

As someone once said, the beautiful thing about standards is how many there are to choose from. The CD-R and drives that could use it sort of co-evolved, so the standards were sloppy and their interpretation varied according to which manufacturer you talked to. When the DVD-R and -RW came along, the industry used the lessons learned from CDs to write much tighter standards. As a result, burnable DVDs work better and burning them is more reliable. I sold all my CD-R and -RW disks at a yard sale. Now I just use DVD-R and DVD-RW disks. Much less troublesome.

B.K. Johnson

#2216 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@Zigbert
I have happily used pBurn for the past 5 or so years. This isn't about hardware-related functions, as you allude to. I have no issues with CD/DVD/BD-devices. I have no issues with the features and functionalities of pBurn. No issues with burning per se. But recently it has become clear that there are some design flaws in the software caused by tacking on audio CD burning.
1. Take this blanking issue for example. Is it that difficult to change the logic to

Code: Select all

if disc structure is audio cd and media is cd then cannot be blanked ... appropriate error message ... exit
if audio cd and media is rewritable then blankable. 
There shouldn't be any need for the user to change the drop down menu from Audio CD to CD (666philb's solution) in order to effect blanking of a CD-RW. It is incongrous to tell a user to blank a CD when (s)he knows you can't do that er... not supposed to be able to do so.
2. I alluded to this in another thread, but you either missed it or ignored it :wink: . The Used/Free space meter is designed for operations that are file size centered (get and accumulate the size of selected files), e.g. BurnISO, Create Data CD/DVD/BR. It does a good job. But when creating an audio CD, the user's interest is metering play time against the allowed playtime for the media. The meter in place is useless in this context :( .

If I can suggest some changes:
1. Remove the "Blank disc" tab from the main screen. Concentrate Blank/Erase functonality in the Burn drop down menu where it already exists. Include in the functionality, test for recordable vs rewriteable and display appropriate error mesage if recordable. On the blanking screen (available only if media is rewritable), give the user the option (radio buttons) to do a "Fast erase" or "Full erase".
2. Replace the "Blank disc" tab on the main screen with "Burn Audio CD". When selected, the usage meter should change to a time based one (and if not difficult 'size' to 'Duration'). I'm sure the Red book tells how to get the media time. It should not be difficult to obtain an appropriate algorithm for a song's duration from vlc, DeaDbeef or some other player and accumulate in a meter for Audio CD burning.

The intent here is to help you make a better product for your fans, present and future. You are a man who marches to the beat of his own drum but I hope you will see some merit in these suggested changes.

Here is a link to the meaning of the above English idiom in case being Norweigan you are not famliar with it. No intent to belittle.
http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/i ... drum.html.

B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.2 PAE, slacko-5.7, frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM

B.K. Johnson

#2217 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@666philb
Thanks for this tip. It worked 8) . Kinda funny though, that in order to blank a rewriteable one has to tell the software that it's a CD, a media type we all know can't be erased :roll:

B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.2 PAE, slacko-5.7, frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM.

zigbert

#2218 Post by zigbert »

B.K. Johnson wrote:@666philb
Thanks for this tip. It worked 8) . Kinda funny though, that in order to blank a rewriteable one has to tell the software that it's a CD, a media type we all know can't be erased :roll:
Does this mean: If I remove the CD-audio option as mediatype (set it to CD instead) everything would be good ?
I agree, there is no logic in providing CD-audio as an option.

zigbert

#2219 Post by zigbert »

I went to town getting some CD-RW's to test this.
- I burnt an audio-CD ok
- When blanking you refer to
... Where is this - I don't get this option in the blanking option window. Here is only CD, DVD and Blu-ray ???

Sigmund

B.K. Johnson

#2220 Post by B.K. Johnson »

zigbert wrote:
When blanking you refer to
... Where is this - I don't get this option in the blanking option window. Here is only CD, DVD and Blu-ray ???

Sigmund
You are using pBurn-4.3.14 . I'm not so interface may be different.
But at the main screen I click on the Burn disc tab see screnie

Basil
Attachments
mediatype_blankscreen.png
drop-down box showing mediatype as Audio CD at Blank disc selection
(33.7 KiB) Downloaded 165 times

B.K. Johnson

#2221 Post by B.K. Johnson »

zigbert wrote:
B.K. Johnson
#666philb

Thanks for this tip. It worked Cool . Kinda funny though, that in order to blank a rewriteable one has to tell the software that it's a CD, a media type we all know can't be erased Rolling Eyes
Does this mean: If I remove the CD-audio option as mediatype (set it to CD instead) everything would be good ?
I agree, there is no logic in providing CD-audio as an option.
You would have to look into your code to confirm whether or not it would be good :) . 666philb can tell how he came up with the hint. My experience is this: I burnt 2 CD-RWs uing pBurn-4-?, resulting in potential coasters :( . I have already told how I came to revitalized one RW. On getting Phil's hint, I launched pBurn-3.7.18 (with ffmpeg-avconv link), inserted the bad CD-RW, clicked the "Blank disc" tab, and on the Blank disc dialogbox [Blank (erase) disc tab] selected 'blank complete', changed the media type to CD and it worked. That's all I know.

I doubted very much that you'd have set "audio CD" as the default mediatype. I suspected that when I inserted the audio CD (on RW) the program logic considered it a read only CD because it was an 'audio CD', and displayed that in the usage meter. I guessed the Blank disc screen then "picked up" this media type. To test my "hypothesis" I tried different media types. The results are shown in the accompanying screenie (pB_mediatype_disp):

It is obvious that when the 'Blank disc' tab is clicked the mediatype has already been determined and brought forward. Removing 'Audio CD' option as you contemplate would not make sense unless you don't test specifically for an audio CD, in which case the media is either CD or DVD; recordable or rewritable. Then on the 'Blank disc' screen you would have the incongruity of having CD and DVD recordables in the drive when the user clicks the burn icon. I submit to you zigbert that this should not be so. The problem is that at no time prior to calling the blanking routine does the code test for Rewriteable media; it tests for Audio CD, CD and DVD. Note that when an Audio CD is created on a DVD, 'DVD' appears as the mediatype in the 'Blank disc' screen, NOT 'Audio CD'.

FACT: The only media that is blankable is rewriteables. I suggest that you test early for rewritable media (CD or DVD) and set a flag. I would leave the meter display as it is now: Audio CD, CD Closed, CD or DVD. When the option to blank a disc is selected, the first thing the routine should do is check the flag. if the flag is not set, send an error message (media is not erasble) and exit the blank selection. Since you know at this stage that the media is CD-RW or DVD-RW, there is no need for a drop-down box for the user doesn't have a selection to make. A simple statement: 'Mediatype is CD Rewritable' or 'DVD Rewritable' would suffice. But if you insist, keep the drop-down menu populated with Audio CD, CD or DVD. There would be no confusion since now it would be clearly understood that although the mediatype is audio cd, it is erasable.

B.K. Johnson

Attachments
pB_mediatype_disp.png
Chart of what is displayed for various mediatypes.
(53.27 KiB) Downloaded 928 times

zigbert

#2222 Post by zigbert »

I had no idea that DVD-R(W) could be used as Audio CD. pBurn is atm not set up to support this. If it works - it is pure luck.

I have made an attempt to solve this within the coding structure already available. This screenshot is showing the new default settings when trying to blank an audio CD.
What do you think?
Attachments
Screenshot_2015-05-29_222337.jpg
(35.46 KiB) Downloaded 740 times

don570

#2223 Post by don570 »

Instead of
Erase all datas on disk
change to
Erase the table and all data on a re-writable disk
By the way DVD TV recorders have the ability to blank a re-writable disk

B.K. Johnson

#2224 Post by B.K. Johnson »

zigbert wrote:
I had no idea that DVD-R(W) could be used as Audio CD. pBurn is atm not set up to support this. If it works - it is pure luck.
Actually; I didn't know either. This is not an audio CD I made. As the house is in a turmoil atm my audio CDs were not readily at hand. When I did find a stray one, pBurn showed the mediatype as DVD and displayed the usual note about blanking DVDs. I don't know if that is abnormal.
I have made an attempt to solve this within the coding structure already available. This screenshot is showing the new default settings when trying to blank an audio CD.
What do you think?
Assuming a CD-RW has been used to burn a CD and the user chooses to blank the media, this is likely to work. as it seems to conform to 666philb's fix, but I don't know what you have changed :wink: . Sigmund, you are focussing on blanking a Audio CD. The screen is not about Audio CD. There is no need to specifically address audio CD, so I can't agree on the screen text. This is about blanking media and that applies only to rewritables. The more appropriate text, I think, would be:

Only rewriteable media can be blanked.
For Rewritables with data, use the Fast blank option.
For Audio CDs on rewritables, use the Blank complete option.
I would also slightly modify the text for DVD-RWs I would amend the 'NOTE' line to be:

This note applies only to rewritable media.
What do I think? I think it is a kludge . A fix "within the coding structure already available" makes it so. The fix does not address the 2 fundamental issues which arose from kludging the creation of audio CDs . Kludge on kludge. A good programmer would probably cringe if he looked at the code. These issues are not even acknowledged.
1. A user should not have to think when he selexts the blank option. If a recordable is in the drive he should be denied access immediately. Only when a rewritable is in place should he be able to continue, BECAUSE ONLY REWRITABLES ARE ERASABLE. With the current "coding structure", a user could mistakenly attempt to erase a recordable and have the drive spin "forever". This should not happen. Good software protects the user from his own folly.
2. pBurn does not provide an appropriate meter for the user who is creating an audio CD. The meter pBurn has, though adequate for other burn operations, is useless for audio CD creation.

I don't think you understand the issues. Either that or you won't acknowledge them; you don't want to hear of them; you don't intend to deal with them; you don't care and you will do what you want.

I have done all I can to let you see the light. pBurn is your baby, Do with it as you wish. Consider this as my last post on the matter and smile.

B.K. Johnson

zigbert

#2225 Post by zigbert »

Thank you guys for the feedback
Only when a rewritable is in place should he be able to continue, BECAUSE ONLY REWRITABLES ARE ERASABLE.
This is true if blanking is equal to erasing. But if blanking means hiding existing data, recordable DVD's can be blanked. But still it requires detection of recordable DVD's because the blanking command is different than the format-command used for erasing.

Detection of a RW/R DVD or RE/R BD is not hard, but for CD, I don't know how. We have been through this before, but maybe things have evolved the recent years. Do anyone know how to tell if an insterted CD is a RW disc or not?
2. pBurn does not provide an appropriate meter for the user who is creating an audio CD. The meter pBurn has, though adequate for other burn operations, is useless for audio CD creation.
If you activate the radiobutton 'Burn Audio' in the main window, the meter becomes audio-friendly.