pBurn 4.3.19

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
zigbert

#2086 Post by zigbert »

Version 4.3.1
See main post

Changelog
- Bugfix: Execution fails (thanks to OscarTalks)

pemasu

#2087 Post by pemasu »

pBurn 4.3.1 blanks now cd. And that black screen contains cdrecord info now ok.
Thanks.

zigbert

#2088 Post by zigbert »

pemasu
Good news

Thank you for validation
Sigmund

OscarTalks

#2089 Post by OscarTalks »

pBurn 4.3.1
Just tried to burn an .iso and got an error.
Log attached.
Attachments
pburnlog.tar.gz
pBurn log
(351 Bytes) Downloaded 408 times
Oscar in England

zigbert

#2090 Post by zigbert »

OscarTalks
What a log :D

The command pBurn built for you is absolutely non-sense. I try to reproduce it, but without luck. Can you describe how you got there?

Thank you
Sigmund

zigbert

#2091 Post by zigbert »

ally wrote:... I tried to a burn which crashed (well hung actually) after I tried to change the label name, next attempt burnt fine ...
Interesting. I did some testing, and adding a space to the volume label corrupts the session. What did you do to make it trouble?

Sigmund

OscarTalks

#2092 Post by OscarTalks »

Hi Sigmund,

It is Wheezy 3.5.2.7 and I uninstalled pBurn 4.2.0 and installed 4.3.1 .pet as usual when I upgrade to a new pBurn version.

The .iso is just a remaster of another Puppy. I just clicked the "burn iso" button then selected the file, set the speed as usual and when I click the burn button I got the error. I tried it twice with the same result.

I have done this many times before. I went back to pBurn 4.2.0 and burned the .iso in the normal way.
Oscar in England

zigbert

#2093 Post by zigbert »

Version 4.3.2
See main post

Changelog
- Bugfix: Burn iso-image (thanks to OscarTalks)

Thanks a lot to OscarTalks for feedback
Sigmund

zigbert

#2094 Post by zigbert »

Version 4.3.3
See main post

Changelog
- Do add Preparer, Publisher, Volume to command only for first session.
- Faster disc-info (Tools menu).
- Bugfix: If Volume/Publisher is set empty at first session, Default values shows up in burn-option dialog at second session.
- Bugfix: Publisher nor Volume can contain space when burning CD.
- Bugfix: Dummy burn a CD on-the-fly

matiasbatero

#2095 Post by matiasbatero »

Hi Zigbert, how are you?

I'm sure that you remember me with the trick to solve issues on multisession recording.

I'm working on a burning program, but using pure-udf filesystem instead.
There are differences between PBurn and my actual project, on device detection.

But i need to ask, before. ¿You don't use growisofs for some reason?

**DVD/BD burning manipulation are very simplified using that tool.
In my personal experience, this tool removed me a lot of code.

I saw that your program have cddetect as dependency, to perform media detection. I found, that growisofs (that only works with DVD/BD in all senses and doesn't have a detection utility) can be used to detect media, indirectly using its own error codes.

For example, dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/sr0
Only works if DVD or BD are inside. And return exit codes for other states.
*Device empty (251)
*Open tray (250)
*Invalid medium.. (that is a reference to CD). (252)
*Invalid device (130)

The detection is very very quickly (instantaneously).
And in my opinion it's very usefull, because you have 3 functions in one.. (detection, burning dvd, burning bd, with great simplification).

This is not a recommendation, Pburn works great, and i'm identified with "if it works, don't touch" ,but, we have a similar projects and maybe, something useful by my side, could be useful for you.

Regards,
Matías Gastón.

PD: sorry for my english

gcmartin

#2096 Post by gcmartin »

As I remember the cautions on using Growisofs is on subsequent use where the -M parm replaces -Z, as "ALL" of the prior parms used to write the DVD MUST be used as well to add additional file(s)/folder(s) to an pre-existing multimedia DVD/BD.

Is this still true, even for UDF? Or is there a Growisofs multi-session standard that is employed?

Curious

matiasbatero

#2097 Post by matiasbatero »

gcmartin wrote:As I remember the cautions on using Growisofs is on subsequent use where the -M parm replaces -Z, as "ALL" of the prior parms used to write the DVD MUST be used as well to add additional file(s)/folder(s) to an pre-existing multimedia DVD/BD.

Is this still true, even for UDF? Or is there a Growisofs multi-session standard that is employed?

Curious
Yes, but these cautions are not important for growisofs only. The only difference, is that growisofs works directly with mkisofs and it need to pass parameters in one line. If you want to use cdrecord, you have 2 steps.. mkisofs and then cdrecord, so you have the same caution here.

Growisofs is designed to work with iso9660, not udf.

UDF is another standard, and another concept of filesystem. UDF doesn't have this caution of "same parameters" on multisessions, beacuse it works different. Multisession disc in UDF mode, is perfomed using "Packet-Writting" feature, and it works like a USB pendrive (transparently).

Growisofs doesn't work with UDF so, nothing to do. But, it have a function to burn any generic file to the disk. So it can be used to burn UDF filesystems. or any filesystem.. EXT4 for example.. on a DVD...

Great no??

zigbert

#2098 Post by zigbert »

matiasbatero wrote:But i need to ask, before. ¿You don't use growisofs for some reason?
For the record: pBurn uses growisofs for burning and media-detection (not the quick one) for DVD/BD.
matiasbatero wrote:I saw that your program have cddetect as dependency, to perform media detection. I found, that growisofs (that only works with DVD/BD in all senses and doesn't have a detection utility) can be used to detect media, indirectly using its own error codes.

*Device empty (251)
*Open tray (250)
*Invalid device (130)

And in my opinion it's very usefull, because you have 3 functions in one.. (detection, burning dvd, burning bd, with great simplification).
As your last trick, this one is also very interesting, and I am glad you make the effort to share it. Thank you!
I would happily get rid of the cddetect dependency if possible. What I am not sure of, is the fact that you use error-code 252 for CD detection. Do you really find this reliable?

Sigmund

matiasbatero

#2099 Post by matiasbatero »

zigbert wrote:
matiasbatero wrote:But i need to ask, before. ¿You don't use growisofs for some reason?
For the record: pBurn uses growisofs for burning and media-detection (not the quick one) for DVD/BD.
matiasbatero wrote:I saw that your program have cddetect as dependency, to perform media detection. I found, that growisofs (that only works with DVD/BD in all senses and doesn't have a detection utility) can be used to detect media, indirectly using its own error codes.

*Device empty (251)
*Open tray (250)
*Invalid device (130)

As your last trick, this one is also very interesting, and I am glad you make the effort to share it. Thank you!
I would happily get rid of the cddetect dependency if possible. What I am not sure of, is the fact that you use error-code 252 for CD detection. Do you really find this reliable?

Sigmund
Hi zigbert,

I did a lot of tests using cd, cdrw, dvd etc.. and i couldn't found any exception. 252 error code seems works only for CD and CDRW mediums.
DVD and BD structures always returns 0.

I examined on growisofs source code, if 252 is a exclusive code, o general errors. And i find that, dvd+rw-mediainfo reports a exclusive value for non dvd/bd mediums situations. And the only incompatible media are CD structures, so there is no alternative. A lot of my experiments, support this observation. So, for me, it's a secure trick. ;)

Code: Select all

fprintf (stderr,":-( non-DVD media mounted, exiting...\n"),
	exit (FATAL_START(EMEDIUMTYPE));

# define EMEDIUMTYPE	ERROR_MEDIA_INCOMPATIBLE
I'm using this on my script for burn images, on cd/dvd and USB pendrives! .. and growisofs error codes, gives me a correct differentiation of all mediums for all cases.. I think that is very reliable. This script also was tested by another people (around 6) with correct report inclusively.

*Sorry for the confusion, i referred to the Growisofs package (dvd+rw-tools), not pure growisofs command. I don't know if your program uses only a isolated growisofs command. This is important... Really, i don't know if growisofs can work without the rest of dvd+rw-tools package.

These numbers are obteined, by

dvd+rw-mediainfo <path>
echo $?
And, the correct numbers are:

0 : DVD or BD inside.
252 : No compatible medium, no dvd/bd structure.. (and always is referenced to CD/CDRW cases).
251 : Empty drive, or open tray.
150 : Incompatible device (ex: /dev/sda)
130 : Invalid device path (ex: /dev/cuak)

Inclusive, it helped me with USB pendrives differentiation. Using err:150 as a first step and then with lsblk.

gcmartin

How to add a single file to a folder on a multi-session DVD

#2100 Post by gcmartin »

While on this subject, I have a problem where pBurn might be able to address.

I have a multi-session DVD which has a folder "/boot/grub". I want to copy a single file into that DVD's folder.

Can pBurn do this? Or can GROWISOFS do this? Or, is it advised to create a file in a HDD folder, /boot/grub/singleFile, and copy that folder to the multi-session disc? Or ...?

Thanks in advance for insight.

matiasbatero

Re: How to add a single file to a folder on a multi-session DVD

#2101 Post by matiasbatero »

gcmartin wrote:While on this subject, I have a problem where pBurn might be able to address.

I have a multi-session DVD which has a folder "/boot/grub". I want to copy a single file into that DVD's folder.

Can pBurn do this? Or can GROWISOFS do this? Or, is it advised to create a file in a HDD folder, /boot/grub/singleFile, and copy that folder to the multi-session disc? Or ...?

Thanks in advance for insight.
to create a file in a HDD folder, /boot/grub/singleFile, and copy that folder to the multi-session disc
1) Make a identical path on some directory..
/home/gcmartin/project/boot/grub
2) Copy the file(s) on that directory. ex: "log.txt"
3) Burn the compilation with growisofs calling, /home/gcmartin/project as a source. (Not /home/gcmartin/project/boot/grub/log.txt)
4) The final result is "log.txt" inside on /boot/grub on you multisession disk.

---------
You can use the Pburn editor, to create /boot .. and /boot/grub folders... + files, and burn them. It would be the same operation.
---------

Cautions: You need to know the previous session mkisofs parameters. If your disk was manually built using newer versions of Pburn, that information is saved inside. If you use growisofs command, you need to put it manually.

Cautions: Booteable multisession disks, i'm not sure, if it requires more parameters.

There isn't more ways to add files on iso multisession disks.
If you have the main project on ISO image, you can remaster it before, and then burn it in one track.

starhawk

#2102 Post by starhawk »

Having some trouble with PBurn and a particular drive. Specifics here --> http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91345

It's probably best to offer help, info, etc., in the linked thread rather than here.

zigbert

#2103 Post by zigbert »

Version 4.3.4
See main post

Changelog
- Use svg icon in *.desktop file.
- Bugfix: Activate Publish/Volume fields for blank DVD/BD

zigbert

#2104 Post by zigbert »

matiasbatero wrote:These numbers are obteined, by

Code:
dvd+rw-mediainfo <path>
echo $?

And, the correct numbers are:

0 : DVD or BD inside.
252 : No compatible medium, no dvd/bd structure.. (and always is referenced to CD/CDRW cases).
251 : Empty drive, or open tray.
150 : Incompatible device (ex: /dev/sda)
130 : Invalid device path (ex: /dev/cuak)
Now, there is only one thing that cddetect does. It defines an audio-CD.
dvd+rw-mediainfo outputs 252 for both data/audio CD.

I tried to use cd-info, but I am not able to skip the track detection, even if -T attribute should let me to. My assumption was that

cd-info --no-tracks --no-analyze --no-cddb --dvd
should give me info quickly, but no go.

Any thoughts?
Sigmund

zigbert

#2105 Post by zigbert »

Some more investigation...
The audio-CD detection can be done otherwise. It does not require a superfast detection, since it is only done once, when status is changed. cd-info can do this just fine.

More important is the nice feedback of cddetect that drive is spinning/scanning the disc. This can be a rather long time on several devices. And of course if the media is scratched. It is always nice to give feedback to the user that things are going on...
...Yes, you can hear the disc spin, but is everything Ok?

Sigmund