pBurn 4.3.19

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
Henry

#1831 Post by Henry »

I clicked on 3.7.4 in the main post and was offered 3.73 to download.
zigbert wrote:Version 3.7.4
See main post

Changelog
- Use gettext for NLS. (thanks to rodin.s)
- Bugfix: Build help-text for burnoptions.
- Bugfix: Advanced info-dialog also shows heading of chapter 4 of help file.

zigbert

#1832 Post by zigbert »

Henry wrote:I clicked on 3.7.4 in the main post and was offered 3.73 to download.
Fixed - thank you

gcmartin

Pburn and UDF. Is there any chance of a marriage in Puppy

#1833 Post by gcmartin »

@Zigbert, could you weigh-in here? Your expertise and your insight could help the community with your views and efforts.

One of the problems here is when the UDF CD/DVD/BD is inserted. It will not mount in Puppy, So, I not sure if PBUrn will be able to provide community assistance. But, you may have a recommendation for Barry or others of us to help.

Thanks in advance for any advice you provide us.

zigbert

#1834 Post by zigbert »

There are other guys around here that are much more skilled than I am.

I am not a Windows-user, so I haven't met the compatibility issues when it comes to UDF. The Universal-Disc-Format doesn't seem to be THAT universal to me.

I have added UDF in Pburn simply because mkisofs supports it.

Sigmund

gcmartin

UDF request again.

#1835 Post by gcmartin »

zigbert wrote:... when it comes to UDF. The Universal-Disc-Format ... I have added UDF in Pburn simply because mkisofs supports it.

Sigmund
I understand that you might not want to acknowledge UDF, but please look at this. I feel it might trigger something you may know about that would help.

The community has found how to get PUPs to register the DVD/CD/BluRay, and ROX presents its for access and use. But there is this issue, now that the system see it, where PBurn may need something to allow/accomplish writing.

Here to help

disciple

Re: UDF request again.

#1836 Post by disciple »

gcmartin wrote:
zigbert wrote:... when it comes to UDF. The Universal-Disc-Format ... I have added UDF in Pburn simply because mkisofs supports it.

Sigmund
I understand that you might not want to acknowledge UDF
What planet are you on?
Zigbert's made it clear on more than one occasion that he doesn't have anything against UDF, he's just not the right person to ask about this problem. If you want to solve it you should either find the right person to ask, or do some research and solve it yourself.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

zigbert

#1837 Post by zigbert »

Burning further sessions to an already used disc requires to use the (exact) same burning settings as the initial session. That is why further burning often fails even if trying to continue burning of a Linux-burnt disc. Another burning app might use different default settings. If you imaging to continue to write to a disc initialized in Windows for UDF (which is not Universal), I think you are aiming high.

BUT! On the other hand. If you succeed and Pburn requires some tweaking to work, I am more than happy to include new improvements to the next Pburn release.

Sigmund

disciple

#1838 Post by disciple »

If you imaging to continue to write to a disc initialized in Windows for UDF (which is not Universal), I think you are aiming high.
I think there must be some way to detect the right settings... but the initial problem they're dealing with in that thread is just reading the disks!

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

gcmartin

Using UDF media

#1839 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks @Zigbert for your understanding

I understood (even the first time you replied on your thread) what you are getting at.

And yes, there seems to be 2 distinct issues; one of which is identified and addressed, while the other surfaced immediately after.

The issues:
  • Recognition of the media and mounting (addressed)
  • With mounted media, the ability to write/generate a UDF media which can continue to read/written to from Linux/Macs/Windows.
This is the reasons for drawing your attention to that thread.

Thanks, thus far for your and @Disciple's insights and assistance you provide to this area of media.

Here to help

disciple

Re: Using UDF media

#1840 Post by disciple »

gcmartin wrote:
Am I missing something, or are you?
How is this "addressed"?:
Smithy wrote:Just tried a few others that are in an "open" state, i.e nearly full but have a coupla gigs left for writing to, and they show up as blank

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

gcmartin

Re: Using UDF media

#1841 Post by gcmartin »

disciple wrote:
gcmartin wrote:
Am I missing something, or are you?
How is this "addressed"
@TaZoC and @01Micko showed methods of adding support to PUPs to allow the mounting of the UDF media.

I have tested their suggestions with the media that was given to me and others. It does, in fact, allow reading of the small sample of UDFs that I tested. Other subsystems n PUPs can used the mounted media's files-folders for various tasks that can be perform.

Understandably, though, the ability to mount the UDF media as writable doesn't work at this stage of recognition, for its only read-only. But, that has helps the community somewhat.

I think you can see its benefit. Thanks for your assistance.

Here to help

otropogo

pburn 3.7.4 won't blank Verbatim DVD+RW

#1842 Post by otropogo »

Have tried repeatedly to blank a Verbatim DVD+RW disk.
When try to blank it in Pburn 3.7.4, Pburn displays :

"please insert disc - if disc is already in tray, please reinsert it"

But no amount of reinserting seems to make a difference.

When I access it with the "disk info" tab, the message is " no writable media"

The disk holds a working copy of Knoppix 7.0.1 liveDVD, and is viewable and navigable under W2K. Unfortunately, I don't have a Windows app installed with which to blank it, nor does there seem to be another app in Lupupluslibre for blanking a DVD.

Is there a pet or a lupu-compatible deb package I could install to do this? The disk has barely been read half a dozen times since being burned, and has no visible blemishes.
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#1843 Post by Flash »

Otropogo, what happens when you put the disk in the drive? I don't mean to be rude, but are you sure the drive is a DVD burner and that it is working? (Some drives, called combination drives, can burn CDs but only read DVDs.) What does Pburn say about it if you put in a blank DVD-R?

otropogo

#1844 Post by otropogo »

Flash wrote:Otropogo, what happens when you put the disk in the drive? I don't mean to be rude, but are you sure the drive is a DVD burner and that it is working? (Some drives, called combination drives, can burn CDs but only read DVDs.) What does Pburn say about it if you put in a blank DVD-R?
Good catch, Flash. I have several DVD recorders, and I had never had reason to suspect any of them might write only to CD. I burn with any of them rarely. And with the one in question most seldom of all.

The drive is a "Writemaster DVD Multi Recorder", its an external USB drive, and I'm not sure how or when I acquired it.

I tried the same two DVD+RW discs and a third Imation DVD-RW disc in a laptop in which I'd just blanked two of the above under Win7, and tried them again with Pburn 3.5.2 and then with 3.7.4, and both were displayed as writable then.

My apologies to Zigbert and the forum for this false alarm.
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

zigbert

#1845 Post by zigbert »

Version 3.7.5
See main post

Changelog
- Bugfix: Detect correct helpfile. (thanks to rodin.s)

gcmartin

Help in PBurn

#1846 Post by gcmartin »

Does PBurn have the capability to add a file/folder to the root of a multi-session DVD/CD?

If so, is there any instructions for doing so?

Thanks in advance

Jasper

#1847 Post by Jasper »

Hi gcmartin,

Re: PBurn. Yes, Does right clicking your choice(s) in the left hand pane work for you?

Alternatively, it may suit some users to put their folder(s)/file(s) in the archive directory and save immediately to the DVD/CD (because it may be easier to recover if anything were to go wrong) or on rebooting/closure.

My regards

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#1848 Post by Flash »

I just used Pburn to add a 1 GB directory full of pictures to the multisession Blu-Ray BD-RE I'm running Puppy from at the moment. When I rebooted, Puppy loaded just as always. After Puppy finished loading I clicked on the sr0 disk icon on the desktop to mount the multisession Puppy BD-RE disk in ROX. Everything was there as usual, plus the new "Pictures" directory I'd just added.

I can even add more pictures to the directory, by adding yet more "Pictures" directories to the BD-RE. When the disk is mounted in ROX, ROX only shows one "Pictures" directory, with the contents of all the "Pictures" directories on the BD-RE in it. IIRC, Windows Explorer does the same thing.

Super cool. :)

gcmartin

Clarification - Can PBURN add to an existing DVD ?

#1849 Post by gcmartin »

There is probably some more information I should have included in my post.

Scenario
Let's suppose I have booted my multi-session Puppy DVD that was originally setup using PBurn. Now I have (using @Flash's example), a folder of pics that I want to add, directly, to the existing booted mediathat is in the DVD.

Questions
  1. Can PBurn be used to do this?
  2. Is there PBurn instructions to add a folder to the existing DVD?
Thanks in advance for any assistance

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#1850 Post by Flash »

• 1. Yes.
    2. The instructions are in my post. :)
Don't mount the DVD, just open Pburn, navigate to the folder you want to add, click the + sign in Pburn's right pane (the folder should be all that's in Pburn's right pane,) then click Burn, telling Pburn to make it a multisession burn.

That's it. Try it with a rewritable DVD if you don't believe me. It even works with a multisession Puppy DVD that was created with Burniso2cd..