pBurn 4.3.19

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
zigbert

#1216 Post by zigbert »

Version 3.2.5
See main post

Changelog
- NLS: Added LOC512
- Bugfix: Detection of audio-CD in status bar (thanks to 01micko)
- Bugfix: The Tools-disc info dialogue says "blank disk" when there is no disk inserted. (thanks to disciple)
- Bugfix: The Tools-disc info dialogue says "blank disk" when a music CD is inserted. (thanks to disciple)
- Bugfix: Try to burn with a audio-CD/video-DVD inserted, you get to the burn dialogue. (thanks to disciple)
- Bugfix: link disc-status-detection to Pburn-burner-device rather than /dev/cdrom.

smokey01

#1217 Post by smokey01 »

zigbert I gave pburn 3.2.5 a run at burning a DVD the other night an it did a great job except for the last 30 minutes or so where the copy was quite pixelated and the movies would occasionally pause momentarily.

Is this caused due to copy protection, if there is any?

A shrink problem?

or maybe an inferior DVD disk?

or is this the best one can expect?

The quality of the burn was amazing for most of the disk.

This is not something I normally do but I was interested to see if it would work and if so, how well.

I normally use pburn to turn my .MOV files into DVD and it works great.

Thanks

Tui

#1218 Post by Tui »

I have posted this to bugs Quirky021 and Mr K suggested
that I also report the problem to you.

As I have made a full install of Quirky021 and your latest version Pburn 3.2.5

Problem is not seeing my rom-drives on the desktop.

I have two drives in my desktop machine, one CD-RW and one DVD-RW,
with this version of quirky only one shows up on the desktop, and that
is sr0 (cd-rw) I think! I was hoping that sr1 might also be there, not so !

When it comes to using the latest version of pburn and calling on properties I have sr0 as cd-rw and dvd-rw as sr1 so maybe that looks
ok!

But if I put a cd into sr0 and return to tools in pburn and call to eject the cd, this call is sent to the DVD drive and not the CD drive

So what's going on here? I also note that with a disc placed in drive that
a mounted icon does not popup! - The mount icon only comes up when
called from through the mount command.

Maybe I need to go back and check with some previous version
of Quirky and Pburn

Thanking you Tui

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#1219 Post by Flash »

Tui wrote:...I also note that with a disc placed in drive that
a mounted icon does not popup! - The mount icon only comes up when
called from through the mount command. ...
Not sure if you mean a blank disk. If so, then, since there is no filesystem on it, it can't be mounted. I think Linux can only mount filesystems (not empty media.)

Oddly enough, Puppy, at least, if not Linux in general, will not mount standard audio CDs. They have a filesystem, of sorts, but apparently it is so primitive that Puppy considers it with contempt. :lol:

zigbert

#1220 Post by zigbert »

smokey01 wrote:This is not something I normally do but I was interested to see if it would work and if so, how well.
I hardly burn anything at all, so can't tell.......

Sigmund

zigbert

#1221 Post by zigbert »

Tui wrote:Problem is not seeing my rom-drives on the desktop.
This is not handled by Pburn, but by the pup_event tool (by Barry).
Tui wrote:When it comes to using the latest version of pburn and calling on properties I have sr0 as cd-rw and dvd-rw as sr1 so maybe that looks
ok!

But if I put a cd into sr0 and return to tools in pburn and call to eject the cd, this call is sent to the DVD drive and not the CD drive
You can define which one is your active burner in the preferences. Pburn can only handle 1 burner at a time. It is also possible to change burner-device in the burn-options before the actual burning begins.

Sigmund

big_bass

#1222 Post by big_bass »

Hey zigbert

I am still using your pburn from version 4.12 puppy

if I need a new version let me know what I need
since this version is working I havent changed it

I have had numerous failed burns using various burners due to incorrect names of folders or files non related to your pburn

but I wrote a small app that will fix those bad names errors
that choke all cd burners or even for debugging safely
its useful

its called sana I am posting it in your thread because I have had
good success with pburn and sana

what it does is rename badly formated names and directories
stripping off symbols ,spaces that shouldn't be in file names or directories anyway

many times I have to recover data for other people
and this has helped me

hope it helps someone
keep up the good work

Joe
Attachments
sana_auto.tar.gz
(953 Bytes) Downloaded 324 times
Last edited by big_bass on Thu 06 May 2010, 15:57, edited 1 time in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#1223 Post by Flash »

Zigbert, I used Pburn instead of Burniso2cd to make a Quirky 100 multisession DVD-RW.

I (fast) blanked the DVD-RW with Pburn before I told Pburn to burn the iso, but when I told it to burn, it said the disk needed to be blanked. I said fine, go ahead. Everything came out ok, but why did the burning program not see that the disk was already blanked?

zigbert

#1224 Post by zigbert »

Flash wrote:Zigbert, I used Pburn instead of Burniso2cd to make a Quirky 100 multisession DVD-RW.

I (fast) blanked the DVD-RW with Pburn before I told Pburn to burn the iso, but when I told it to burn, it said the disk needed to be blanked. I said fine, go ahead. Everything came out ok, but why did the burning program not see that the disk was already blanked?
Just tested a DVD-RW here, - first fast blank, then burn iso. - I did not get the message to blank the disc.....

The checkpoint for the need of blanking is the code

Code: Select all

cdrecord dev=/dev/sr0 -toc
The result (terminal output) should not contain one of the following matches:
Cannot read TOC
-1:59:74
track:lout ........... mode: 1

What is the output of your disc.

Sigmund

zigbert

#1225 Post by zigbert »

big_bass
Thank you for sharing

Yes, I think your Sana should be included in some way, I just don't know exactly how....... Sana is very strict, and the result is similar to what you get if you choose to burn with isolevel 1, without joliet and rockridge. Pburn misses the feature to compare filenames with the filesystem protocol. Joliet is stricter than Rockridge, so if choosing both options, It might fail even if Rockridge is accepting filename.

Have you ever experienced problems if you untick Joliet/Rockridge/UDF, and burn a pure isolevel 1/3? It would be an interesting answer to me.

Thank you
Sigmund

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#1226 Post by Flash »

Zigbert, I ran

Code: Select all

cdrecord dev=/dev/sr0 -toc
with the multisession DVD-RW of Quirky 100 that I burned yesterday in the drive. Here's the result:
# cdrecord dev=/dev/sr0 -toc
Device type : Removable CD-ROM
Version : 5
Response Format: 2
Capabilities :
Vendor_info : 'PIONEER '
Identification : 'DVD-RW DVR-112D'
Revision : '1.21'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc DVD-R(W) driver (mmc_mdvd).
Driver flags : SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: PACKET SAO
first: 1 last 1
track: 1 lba: 0 ( 0) 00:02:00 adr: 1 control: 4 mode: -1
track:lout lba: 83168 ( 332672) 18:30:68 adr: 1 control: 4 mode: -1
#
When I get more time I'll blank a DVD-RW and run the same thing with the blanked disk in the drive.

Colonel Panic

#1227 Post by Colonel Panic »

I'm just trying Pburn now and I'm impressed; it's much easier to understand and use than K3b which I've used before for the same purpose. So thanks zigbert and well done!

Just one thing though; if you've got a preexisting directory structure already on the disk you're saving to, is it possible to burn the new files to a directory you specify in advance, or do you have to take "pot luck" about where they go?

Thanks in advance,

CP .
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Tue 18 May 2010, 00:00, edited 1 time in total.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

invisible man

Iso Burn

#1228 Post by invisible man »

P burn has gotten better and better, problem I've noticed, all along is after downloading to docuements, open Pburn, choose file to burn. The window to insert disk does not appear until I shutdown and restart Puppy and Pburn. It then displays insert disk window and will burn iso. Thanks for all of your work, 013 as well. Invisible Man

zigbert

#1229 Post by zigbert »

Colonel Panic wrote:I'm just trying Pburn now and I'm impressed; it's much easier to understand and use than K3b which I've used before for the same purpose. So thanks zigbert and well done!

Just one thing though; if you've got a preexisting directory structure already on the disk you're saving to, is it possible to burn the new files to a directory you specify in advance, or do you have to take "pot luck" about where they go?

Thanks in advance,

CP .
If I understand you right, you want to define your own directory structure on the burnt disc. If so, you can remove, rename and add new directories on the CD/DVD with the buttons at bottom-right of the main window.

Sigmund

zigbert

Re: Iso Burn

#1230 Post by zigbert »

invisible man wrote:all along is after downloading to docuements, open Pburn, choose file to burn. The window to insert disk does not appear until I shutdown and restart Puppy and Pburn. It then displays insert disk window and will burn iso.
Could you please add a screenshot to describe.....

Thank you
Sigmund

Colonel Panic

#1231 Post by Colonel Panic »

zigbert wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:I'm just trying Pburn now and I'm impressed; it's much easier to understand and use than K3b which I've used before for the same purpose. So thanks zigbert and well done!

Thanks in advance,

CP .
If I understand you right, you want to define your own directory structure on the burnt disc. If so, you can remove, rename and add new directories on the CD/DVD with the buttons at bottom-right of the main window.

Sigmund
Thanks for replying Sigmund.

That's part of what I want to do, but I'd also like to be able to add files to an existing directory - for example, a pet file to a preexisting directory of pet files on the DVD I'm burning to.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

zigbert

#1232 Post by zigbert »

Colonel Panic
That's part of what I want to do, but I'd also like to be able to add files to an existing directory - for example, a pet file to a preexisting directory of pet files on the DVD I'm burning to.
Then you should 'import sessions from disc'. See File menu.

Sigmund

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#1233 Post by Flash »

I haven't used Pburn to make multisession DVDs much but I have used growisofs to save sessions to a DVD. If you always use the same name for the directory you're saving to the multisession DVD in growisofs, when you mount the DVD everything you've saved in different sessions with that directory name will show up in that directory as though it had all been burned there at the same time.

If I burned a directory named "mp3 songs" on a multisession DVD, then later on I wanted to add some more songs to that directory, I'd put the songs in a directory named "mp3 songs" and burn it as a new session on the same multisession DVD. This will work just as well with a rewritable DVD.

[Edit:] I tried adding a session to a multisession Puppy DVD+RW, using Pburn. I chose a directory named Mp3_books, located on a USB flash drive. The directory contained two directories, each of which is a book title (with spaces removed) and each book directory contained several hundred mp3 files. It wouldn't work. Here's Pburn's error log:
###################################################
COMMAND:

growisofs -use-the-force-luke=notray -C 0,0 -M /dev/sr0 -f -iso-level 3 -D -R -J -joliet-long -V "pburn_project" -p root -publisher "Pburn" -exclude-list /root/.pburn/tmp/exclude -graft-points -path-list=/root/.pburn/tmp/graft_points

OUTPUT:
Executing 'mkisofs -C 16,93232 -M /dev/fd/3 -f -iso-level 3 -D -R -J -joliet-long -V pburn_project -p root -publisher Pburn -exclude-list /root/.pburn/tmp/exclude -graft-points -path-list=/root/.pburn/tmp/graft_points | builtin_dd of=/dev/sr0 obs=32k seek=5827'
Warning: -follow-links does not always work correctly; be careful.
I: -input-charset not specified, using iso-8859-1 (detected in locale settings)
Rock Ridge signatures found
genisoimage: Error: /2010-05-01-22-02/dev/.udev/failed/.wh.\x2fdevices\x2fpci0000:00\x2f0000:00:13.5\x2fusb1\x2f1-4\x2f1-4:1.0\x2fhost6\x2ftarget6:0:0\x2f6:0:0:1 and /2010-05-01-22-02/dev/.udev/failed/.wh.\x2fdevices\x2fpci0000:00\x2f0000:00:13.5\x2fusb1\x2f1-4\x2f1-4:1.0\x2fhost6\x2ftarget6:0:0\x2f6:0:0:0 have the same Joliet name
Joliet tree sort failed. The -joliet-long switch may help you.
:-( mkisofs has failed: 1
If I mount the multisession Puppy DVD, I can only see one directory named 2010-05-01-22-02. There may be more, but they are combined and only show up as a single instance of the directory.

zigbert

#1234 Post by zigbert »

Flash
For these tasks, please try to deactivate the joliet filesystem.

Sigmund

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#1235 Post by Flash »

Thanks, Sigmund. I unchecked the Joliet box and Pburn added an initial Mp3_books directory on the multisession Puppy DVD+RW, but when I went to add more books to that same directory (from a different USB flash drive with a much larger Mp3_books directory), Pburn wouldn't do it.

The DVD+RW only has filled about 200 MB of its total capacity of 4.7 (or whatever it is) GB, yet even when I open the big Mp3_books directory in Pburn's right window and remove about half the books, it still won't work. Is it because most of the subdirectories (author names and book titles) have spaces in their names?
Attachments
Pburn error.jpg
(77.89 KiB) Downloaded 960 times