Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 21 Sep 2014, 16:21
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Wireless modules in Puppy 1.0.5/1.0.6/+
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Waikiki Websurfer

PostPosted: Wed 21 Sep 2005, 22:42    Post_subject:  Wireless modules in Puppy 1.0.5/1.0.6/+  

Aloha Everyone,

Is there any possibility of seeing ng-wlan-linux and ndiswrapper linux wireless modules in Puppy's kernel in any of the upcoming releases, either in the standard release or perhaps in a separate/additional laptop/wireless optimized release?

The reason I'm asking is because it seems to me that Puppy is one of the best distros to use on a laptop for fast wireless connectivity (i.e., how quickly do you get online from the moment you power on your laptop with a HD-install distro), but my Prism chipset based wireless card is only supported by the ng-wlan-linux drivers (my card is Airvast wm168b internal USB, inside Averatec 3150P model laptop) or by the Window$ drivers by ndiswrapper (worse option, and has not worked with other distros).

I would love to see a Puppy that is targeted for laptop/notebook/etc connectivity.

Also, with linux OS cell phones containing 802.11 b/g connectivity (Such as Motorola's and Nokia's upcoming phones) scheduled for 2006 release, it might be possible to hack puppy into the add-on flashrom cards....

What do you think?

Cheers!
BlackAdder

PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep 2005, 01:30    Post_subject:  

No sign that anyone has successfully used ndiswrapper with the Airvast adapter, so look here:
http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=2234
and be nice to tempestuous and you should get your first wish..

The ndiswrapper module is available in Puppy (modprobe ndiswrapper), and the wifi-beta-2 dot pup provides a number of adapter driver files, plus the ndiswrapper configuration utility. So with Perl - available as a pup-get - you could try ndiswrapper if you wanted to. But using the native drivers should be quicker and cleaner.

Cheers and woof.
tempestuous

PostPosted: Sat 24 Sep 2005, 10:49    Post_subject:  

Waikiki Websurfer,
The Puppy wireless driver packages at http://mymirrors.homelinux.org/puppy/wireless/ include linux-wlan-ng.

I don't know specifically whether your Airvast WN168b will work, but there's a very good chance since my Prism2.5-based D-Link DWL-122 USB adaptor works perfectly with this driver.

I believe such driver packages should remain as separate "add-ons", since it's quite impractical to include drivers in Puppy for all hardware out there.
I have personally remastered my own version of Puppy with this driver plus many other "bits and pieces", and I would encourage you to do the same. Remastering instructions are on the forum.
... or just follow my instructions in the README file to automatically restore the linux-wlan-ng driver into the (standard) Puppy filesystem at each bootup.

It would be good if you could report your success or failure on the thread already mentioned - http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=2234
Waikiki Websurfer

PostPosted: Fri 07 Oct 2005, 08:55    Post_subject: Success (finally!)  

Aloha!

Thanks Tempestuous and Blackadder for your advice, ans a special thanks to Tempestuous for compiling the drivers and posting/hosting the files.

I'm finally able to surf the web with the Airvast WN168b adapter using Tempestuous's compile of the linux-wlan-ng drivers with a Linux distro.
I'm posting this message while lounging on my lanai (hawai'ian balcony), enjoying a nice tradewind breeze, and admiring the city lights of Waikiki Beach.

Mahalo! (Thanks!)

P.S. I will post details to the thread you guys pointed to. This was actually not quite as easy a process as it could've been, so maybe I can in turn help others by posting a few details -- however, now as it is quite late here (2:20 AM), I need to quit the websurfing and get some sleep before hitting the beach at sunrise to do some real surfing...

Aloha! (Bye!)
Very Happy
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot