Gyachi-1.1.0: Yahoo! messenging client

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
RobertB

#16 Post by RobertB »

GyachE 1.0.5 was working just fine until a few days ago for my daughter. Then, it started saying "You have been disconnected from Yahoo!: Broken pipe." Changing servers didn't help, and when I ran from the command line I got a Segmentation Fault after closing all windows (but that was the only message displayed on the console).

So I figured the best thing would be to remove the old version (using petget package manager) and get the latest, version 1.1.0. I figured since 1.0.5 was working, I'd be ok.

The dotpet installer told me that I'm missing gyachixmms. D'oh! But I was able to pull it up, and got this message on the GyahcE screen:

Code: Select all

GyachE Improved 1.1.0 
http://gyachi.sourceforge.net/
 Plugin Loaded:  'Gpgme' 
 Plugin Loaded:  'Blowfish-Internal' 
** Plugin '/usr/lib/gyachi/plugins/gyachixmms.so' could not be loaded because of an error:
libxmms.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
 Plugin Loaded:  'MCrypt' 
 Plugin Loaded:  'GyachI-Photos' 
 Loaded 4 plugins from '/usr/lib/gyachi/plugins'.
So I tried to connect. It still had her username/password, so I figured there would be no problems. Wrong. Now, insted of displaying messageboxes about not being able to connect, it displays black boxes that won't close. Killing all the windows doesn't get rid of the running app, either... if I run from the command line, I have to ^C go get back to the prompt.

The obvious thing would be to take care of the gyachixmms dependency, but I can't seem to find it in this thread -- am I missing something? (I'm running Puppy 2.17)

muggins

#17 Post by muggins »

Hello RobertB,

I have to admit this is one .pet I've always regretted making as, being from the slide-rule era, I could never get the thing to work myself. And documentation, last time I looked, was non-existent.

But I just downloaded, & installed, the gyachi .pet, then ran it from the commandline, and received a few messages about missing libraries, but managed to get it going.

Anyway, I've repacked the gyachi-libs.tar.bz2, in the first post of this thread. Could you download this & extract to / , then let me know if it works OK?

By the way, from my brief reading about the subject on the web, it's almost like there's a mini-battle going on between yahoo & MSN on the one hand, and the free linux clients on the other, in that yahoo & MSN seem to keep moving the goalposts by changing the protocols required to access their services.

RobertB

#18 Post by RobertB »

I'll try it. I'll come back and edit this post to report the status.

First, I uninstalled the .pet using the .pet manager. Then a reboot.

Now, I've got gyachi-libs.tar.bz2 in my root directory. I'll try this from the root path, though I'm a tar newbie and I wouldn't put it past me to omit some glaringly obvious param:

tar -xf gyachi-libs.tar.bz2
At this point, "which gyachi" gives me nothing, so I'll reboot and see what happens. See you in a minute (thanks to Puppy's bloat-free reboot process).

Update: Well, I don't get any load time errors now:

GyachE Improved 1.1.0 
http://gyachi.sourceforge.net/
 Plugin Loaded:  'Gpgme' 
 Plugin Loaded:  'Blowfish-Internal' 
 Plugin Loaded:  'GyachI-XMMS' 
 Plugin Loaded:  'MCrypt' 
 Plugin Loaded:  'GyachI-Photos' 
 Loaded 5 plugins from '/usr/lib/gyachi/plugins'.
But I still get "Broken Pipe" when trying to login, and the application is still stuck, requiring me to kill the process.

Are all the penguin-friendly teens in the world locked out of Yahoo IM?

muggins

#19 Post by muggins »

I find it worrying that when you run which gyachi, you're not getting any response. So I'm wondering whether there are any library incompatibilities etc. Just out of curiousity, if you enter:

ls /usr/lib/libxml*

what response do you get?

RobertB

#20 Post by RobertB »

muggins wrote:I find it worrying that when you run which gyachi, you're not getting any response. So I'm wondering whether there are any library incompatibilities etc. Just out of curiousity, if you enter:

ls /usr/lib/libxml*

what response do you get?
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I got nothing for "which gyachi" after I uninstalled it and installed the libs -- I didn't realize that the libs file wasn't the program. I've been in the Windows world too long, I'm afraid. "which gyachi" now yields "/usr/bin/gyachi".

There isn't a libxml folder:

# ls /usr/lib/libxml
ls: /usr/lib/libxml: No such file or directory
but there are several files close to it:

# ls /usr/lib/libx(tab)
libxine.so.1       libxml2.so.2.6.26  libxmms.so.1       libxslt.so.1
libxine.so.1.16.0  libxml.so.1        libxmms.so.1.3.1   libxslt.so.1.1.17
libxml2.so.2       libxmms.so         libxslt-plugins/   
Not sure where you're going with it, though...

ragaman

#21 Post by ragaman »

Couldn't get this Gyachi to run. Missing libltdl.so.3 library. Been trying to look for one but the closest i could get was libltdl.so.3.1.4. I know i can use a symbolic link for this but don't know how (ln -s fileA file B, but which should be file A and file B? and in which location/directory should I make this symlink?). Can anyone help out?

Thanks.

muggins

#22 Post by muggins »

Ragaman,

try:

ln -s /usr/lib/libltdl.so.3.1.4 /usr/lib/libltdl.so.3

ragaman

#23 Post by ragaman »

Thanks muggins. That did the trick.

muggins

#24 Post by muggins »

Ragaman,

Good to hear it's working. Do you have any problems logging in etc? As a lot of the previous posters seemed to be experiencing problems.

Gyachi is now up to release 1.1.46, but it seems to have a whole bunch of additional library requirements to compile...<hint>if anyone is interested</hint>.