Printer sharing on Puppy 3.1

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
mpres

Printer sharing on Puppy 3.1

#1 Post by mpres »

Hi Everyone.
I'm trying to set my new Puppy as a printserver for other computers in my home network. The rest of computers are PC's and notebooks with WinXP or Win2k installed. I've connected my old HP LaserJet 4L to the Puppy machine (LPT port) and have configured CUPS. Printer works fine on Puppy. The problem is that I can't see this printer from other computers (Win) in my network. Previously I've been using Mandrake 10.1 and have solved this problem with Samba Server and KDE GUI for this. Now I'd like to change my OS to something light and faster like Puppy cause that machine is very old and slow (Pentium 333 Mhz). I've installed samba-3.0.25b from Puppy official server but I've got the message that libdm.so.0 is missed. I'm quite clumsy linux user and working mainly with GUI :? (never tried to modify any configuration files manually)
Puppy works really great and I'm sure, there is a possibility to share that #$@%^&*! printer. Please, help!

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

Hopefully someone else can help with libdm. I am using an older Puppy with the CUPS and Samba dotpups, and don't have it.

But if you have trouble with the Samba/CUPS configuration:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22363

GeoffS

#3 Post by GeoffS »

mpres
Not wishing to move anybody away from Puppy but as you are using an old and slow system you could have a look at http://members.shaw.ca/nicholas.fong/printsrv/
I've been using this system on an old Pentium 1 sometimes with and sometimes without a hard disk, as a print server for years, long before I started using Linux. It is a micro-puppy, it fits on 1 floppy :lol: It doesn't need a screen or keyboard attached once set-up.
It works fine with Linux/CUPS and Windows.
When running it from a floppy I keep an image of the floppy and just make a new one whenever the current one starts to fail.
Worth a thought
Cheers
Geoff

muggins

#4 Post by muggins »

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

Any printer set up with cups is automatically shared by ipp.
This can be added to 2000/xp as the internet printing protocol, and then intall the printer using the adobe postscript driver and the same ppd file as used in cups...choosing the ipp port pointed to the cups printer.

That's basically it and does not require samba only an ip network which allows port 631 which is usually present anyway.

mike