Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 02 Sep 2014, 17:54
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
Huawei E220 UMTS/GPRS modem config not saved
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
kultex

PostPosted: Sat 17 Nov 2007, 18:35    Post subject:  Huawei E220 UMTS/GPRS modem config not saved  

I am using the Huawei E220 UMTS/GPRS Modem to connect to the Internet

how it works is described here.

I want that it works on booting the computer without typing all the time:

rmmod usb-storage
rmmod usbserial
modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1003

so I added this lines with an & on the end of each line to /etc/rd.d/rc.local as described in this thread http://208.109.22.214/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=105064&sid=16f187a37cac9a71b481f57bac4e1ff2#105064

but it only works, if I do not boot with a pcmcia network card in the meantime. If I do so, I have to run all the three comands manually and then reboot again, to get the modem working.

In general it is strange, because the modem should work without problems in Kernel 2.6.20 and higher ... it does so in Ubuntu and Openwrt ......
kultex

PostPosted: Sun 18 Nov 2007, 07:43    Post subject:  

I explored this very strange thing a little bit more

rmode usbserial is not needed at all

the fact, that I have to boot the computer a second time, to get the modem working is, as soon as I unplug the USB-Modem or unplug the power supply from the laptop (it is quite old and has no battery)

There is no difference if it is done in the shell or in /etc/rd.d/rc.local - I just have to boot the laptop a second time

and it is only necessary to run "rmmod usb-storage" on the first boot and "modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1003 " on the second

So I think, that somewhere modprobe usb-storage is executed during booting - but I do not find where - is there somebody who knows

If "modprobe usb-storage" is not executed during normal boot, I think the modem would work on the first boot

The second possibility could be, that I load the " usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1003 " before "usb-storage" - I think I wrote this somewhere ...
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
Jump to: