ATI fglrx 7.11 (8.43.2) video driver for puppy 3

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
kirk

ATI fglrx 7.11 (8.43.2) video driver for puppy 3

#1 Post by kirk »

Here's a pet package for ATI's fglrx 7.11 (8.43.2) video driver.

Your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file will be modified, but a backup is made first, /etc/X11/xorg.conf.orginal-0. The missing GL libs will be installed too. Uninstalling using pet get should put things back to how they where (cross your fingers). But, you should probably test by making a new pup_save file. After installing you'll have to restart X or reboot.

Note: After the fglrx driver is installed and is in use, you cannot restart X. If you try the file system becomes unstable. You must reboot.

To test if acceleration is working, open a terminal and type:

Quote:
# fgl_glxgears

Here's the release notes:

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/ ... linux.html

And here's the package (15MB):

http://dotpups.de/puppy3/dotpups/XServe ... x-7.11.pet

This driver seems to have better rendering in the games I tried, but in-game adjustments of brightness don't work. Tried the next older fglrx driver with the same results. The amdcccle does work. It didn't in the older version I posted here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22189

tombh

#2 Post by tombh »

Thanks for posting this kirk :)

You beat me to it -- well I did try but it never worked :( So I'm going to try and include this in future versions of wNOP (Puplet that uses Compiz-Fusion). I would have used the open-source radeon driver that comes with Puppy but unfortunately it doesn't support 5th generation ATIs. So this is going to come in very useful indeed!

What I wanted to ask was if you could describe more about this:
Note: After the fglrx driver is installed and is in use, you cannot restart X. If you try the file system becomes unstable. You must reboot.

kirk

#3 Post by kirk »

It seems to be a unionfs problem. Once you're using fglrx if you restart X, the xorgwizard will run. It's like xorg.conf becomes invisible. If you reboot, all is fine.

tombh

#4 Post by tombh »

I've attempted to make a dotpet of the latest fglrx driver, version 8.2.
ATI_fglrx-8.2.pet
Would it be alright if someone could test it out as I don't have a compatible card -- it's for the new version of wNOP you see.

What I did was use the installer from the ATI website to create a slackware package and then use that to replace the relevant files in the current 7.11 dotpet. Seemed a bit of a crude way of doing it to me, but new2dir didn't seem to work with the installer. Also I notice that, kirk, you had put some extra files in the 7.11 dotpet that weren't present in the automated slackware package? libGLw, libglut and such like. Are they part of xorg?

Thanks for any feedback :)

Here is a list of the files I replaced:

drm.ko
fglrx.ko
amdnotifyui
atieventsd
atigetsysteminfo.sh
amdcccle
aticonfig
fglrx_dri.so
fglrx_drv.so
libfglrxdrm.so
esut.a
glesx.so
libfglrx_dm.a
libfglrx_dm.so.1.0
libfglrx_gamma.a
libfglrx_gamma.so.1.0
libfglrx_pp.a
libfglrx_pp.so.1.0
libfglrx_tvout.a
libfglrx_tvout.so.1
libfglrx_tvout.so.1.0
libGL.so
libGL.so.1
libGL.so.1.2

kirk

#5 Post by kirk »

libGLw, libglut and such like. Are they part of xorg?
Yes, I included files that where cut from Xorg for puppy. Might not be needed for most. Can't test, I'm not using puppy 3 anymore.

papos

#6 Post by papos »

I test ATI_fglrx-8.2.pet but it sem's not functional
ATI fglrx ATI_fglrx-8.2.pet ATI Radeon™ Xpress 1100 (HyperMemory combination of local and shared system memory)
fglrx_xgamma: error while loading shared libraries: libfglrx_gamma.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

is in /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/libfglrx_gamma.so.1
I put it in /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/libfglrx_gamma.so.1
ok but
# fglrx_xgamma
Unable to get gamma table size

I download from http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/linu ... adeon.html
and make a slackware package with
# sh ./ati-driver-installer-8-3-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Slackware/All
and buil a ATI_fglrx-8.4.pet same as fglrx 7.11 from Kirk
fgl_glxgears run without problem.
and all seem's ok first time I have openGL with my Acer Aspire 5100
good news for me if I can view the desktop with wNOP (Itest this later)
you can download the ATI_fglrx-8.4.pet here
http://files.filefront.com/ATI+fglrx+84 ... einfo.html

mac84

#7 Post by mac84 »

thank you papos, works great!

tombh

#8 Post by tombh »

Hey papos,

Nice work, there are good reports form the wNOP thread here. It does work but someone reported that the Opera window wouldn't resize when using your driver. Have you tried this driver with wNOP or Compiz-Fusion? Have you had any bugs or niggles?

stevenbinion

#9 Post by stevenbinion »

tombh wrote:I've attempted to make a dotpet of the latest fglrx driver, version 8.2.
ATI_fglrx-8.2.pet
Would it be alright if someone could test it out as I don't have a compatible card -- it's for the new version of wNOP you see.

What I did was use the installer from the ATI website to create a slackware package and then use that to replace the relevant files in the current 7.11 dotpet. Seemed a bit of a crude way of doing it to me, but new2dir didn't seem to work with the installer. Also I notice that, kirk, you had put some extra files in the 7.11 dotpet that weren't present in the automated slackware package? libGLw, libglut and such like. Are they part of xorg?

Thanks for any feedback :)
Thanks for the updated drivers. Isn't this the same as ATI CATALYST 8.2? what is "FGLRX"?
[b][[url=http://www.tekwolf.net]Home of Wolf Pup Linux[/url]][/b]

tombh

#10 Post by tombh »

Fglrx is just another name for the ATI driver and so yes it is the same as the Catalyst driver.

panzerpuppy

fglrx (Catalyst Linux) + Radeon cards = no 2D acceleration ?

#11 Post by panzerpuppy »

Does 2D acceleration or Xv work at all with these Catalyst/fglrx drivers?

I can get 3D acceleration to work,all controls in CCC work fine,ultra high resolutions and high refresh rates work (finally!),but 2D is painfully slow :(
Scrolling text in the rvxt window is unbearably slow,mousing over the Puppy menu produces bad flickering,Xv output is unusable (produces a garbled image pattern) and a slew of other problems...all signs of a lack of 2D acceleration. What's funny is everything runs smoothly with the 'xvesa' driver.

Most people here install Compiz Fusion after installing these drivers,so that's why they don't experience any of these problems (the whole desktop is 3D accelerated),but have you ever tried these drivers without Compiz Fusion and what's your experience (especially with the R(V)6xx / RadeonHD series) ?

panzer
Last edited by panzerpuppy on Thu 22 May 2008, 02:34, edited 1 time in total.

panzerpuppy

#12 Post by panzerpuppy »

FYI, ATI Catalyst 8.5 for Linux has been released today.
You can read more about it here:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... inux&num=1

Improved 2D acceleration and more features sound nice,but it looks like the 3D performance is now about 7% slower (with the HD2xxx series of cards) than the driver included in the fglrx-8.4 .pet package.

Still no love for users of AGP HD3xxx cards,even with this latest driver :(

pdrito

ATI_fglrx-8.4.pet

#13 Post by pdrito »

papos,

Plis, plis upload your ATI_fglrx-8.4.pet again !!!!
The actual server it is NOT working.

Any one could download the ATI_fglrx-8.4.pet from papos ?
If yes , could be so kind to upload too ?

Thanks in advance.

pdrito.

Farwater

#14 Post by Farwater »

Hey,
I built fglrx-8.493 (the latest so far) for Puppy 3.01. Please, read the instructions and dowload it from here.