jabbin-2.0beta2a: voip client

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
muggins

#16 Post by muggins »

Five seconds after I posted above, I recalled that I was also having problems with some stage in the compilation, but Newcrest set me on the right path via a pm. But to rejig my memory I'd really need to download the source code again & try recompiling.

It's funny that I've done exactly 25% of a computer science degree, yet my brain fogs up if I try looking at anything in depth on a computer. I really need A4 hardcopy for me to have a chance. Wollongong uni shifted all their uni calendars onto the web, yet if I look at their online calendars to plot course options, I get this funny "blinkered horse" feeling!

mcewanw

info overload

#17 Post by mcewanw »

muggins wrote:It's funny that I've done exactly 25% of a computer science degree, yet my brain fogs up if I try looking at anything in depth on a computer. I really need A4 hardcopy for me to have a chance. Wollongong uni shifted all their uni calendars onto the web, yet if I look at their online calendars to plot course options, I get this funny "blinkered horse" feeling!
I think it is a form of information overload. Computers certainly have that effect on me; there are just so many things to explore and so much inter-related connections to assimilate. I often get nothing done at all when I stare into a computer screen. When I was writing C programs (creating wiak) some months ago, much of what I wrote was created purely on paper (lots of paper). I don't mind debugging online, but hate creating.

As for Jabbin, please don't go out of your way about it, but its true that I'd love to know the secret. Jabbin may or may not be a dead project, but I do find it very interesting compared to the other offerings. It seems to be quite light and certainly works with google talk as a chat client.

One of my biggest problems is that I may have been working for something for days, and been successful, but a few days later, when I need to do it all again, I can't remember a damn thing. I am starting to use an online wiki to jot down things as I go along. Previously I tried using the likes of Notecase as a local solution, but I keep switching between computers and never remember where all the notes were... Wikis work better for me.

muggins

#18 Post by muggins »

William,

I just downloaded jabbin source & got the same message you received from ./configure.

I think I just ignored ./configure & ran qmake instead, then edited the created ./src/Makefile to reflect installation in /usr, then ran make.

I just started compiling, and it was going well, until I encountered errors regarding a missing speex.h header file. But I think it should be OK.

mcewanw

I tried something else

#19 Post by mcewanw »

@muggins

Actually, I managed to get ./configure going by creating a symlink X11 to X11R7

I'm just running make as I type this, but if that doesn't work, I'll try what you suggest instead.

mcewanw

speex

#20 Post by mcewanw »

I've also downloaded, made a dotpet, and installed speex-1.2beta3 so I'm presuming that will do the trick.

mcewanw

#21 Post by mcewanw »

it is still compiling... taking forever on this old Pentium III, but no news is good news; no speex error this time methinks, but I'm curious how big this file will end up.

mcewanw

not a work for me

#22 Post by mcewanw »

@muggins

unfortunately something went wrong during the compile; I'll have to try again because I've accidentally lost the screen with the error message. Maybe your qmake method has been successful for you?

Don't you need speex installed anyway?

mcewanw

#23 Post by mcewanw »

Here are the last few lines of make (it was compiling for ages before it ended with this message). It is all meaningless to me at the moment:

Code: Select all

calldlg.cpp:799: error: `abs' undeclared (first use this function)
calldlg.cpp:799: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in.)
make[1]: *** [.obj/calldlg.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/jabbin-2.0beta2a/src'
make: *** [sub-src] Error 2

muggins

#24 Post by muggins »

Sorry William, I didn't proceed any further as I thought you were on the home stretch. For the abs error you just need to add an include file I think...probably math.h.

mcewanw

#25 Post by mcewanw »

muggins wrote:Sorry William, I didn't proceed any further as I thought you were on the home stretch. For the abs error you just need to add an include file I think...probably math.h.
yes, I thought of that too and looked in calldlg.cpp. First I thought I'd include stdlib.h (since I think abs is declared in there, though it could be math.h) however, calldlg.cpp is Cplusplus is it not. And according to a google check abs for C++ is in cstdlib. So I'm trying an include for that. But seems like a very strange thing to be missing to me, so I'm not confident about it. Anyway, worth a try. Goodness knows how you succeeded when you compiled it originally.

I've googled again and it probably is math.h
I'll let the stupid machine finish compiling with my addition cstdlib and see what it says just for the hell of it (it has been going for ages), then I'll try math.h (putting it in calldlg.cpp). Then I'll give up or smile.

mcewanw

#26 Post by mcewanw »

It's still compiling! I note that jabbin source code has many references to psi. I guess that is http://psi-im.org/
I'm confused about psi. Reading the docs on its website suggests that it has at least partially had support for jingle Google Talk Voice library stuff. It is less than clear to me if voice works out of the box with psi. I'm spending too much time on all of this so the thought of trying to compile psi too is painful, but such is life. Maybe I should just wait a year or two and hope that something is commonly available for voice, video, jabber stuff, SIP and so on, without being tied to some phone plan...

And then there appears to be something called Tapioca and Landell (but don't know if still being developed).
http://tapioca-voip.sourceforge.net/wik ... hp/Landell

muggins

#27 Post by muggins »

The joys of compiling! I just tried compiling an fltk application, via cmake, & it got to the 100% mark, then fell over at the linking stage!

mcewanw

I forgot jabbin was still compiling

#28 Post by mcewanw »

I forgot all about poor jabbin compiling till I read your last message. Guess what, it seems to have successfully compiled this time! :-)
I shouldn't count my chickens though, I haven't tried a make install yet.

That make was done after my adding the cstdlib header. On looking at the source code more closely, whilst it was compiling, I noticed that the abs was working on integer values and not floats or doubles (which would indeed have required math.h).

Anyway, too bad about your fltk compilation. I usually have that problem of failure just as 100% is reached when recording to DVD disks... I lost around a dozen disks in a row (when I should have given up) just a week or two ago - turns out my hard disk was over fragmented (at least once I defragged it, the problem vanished. That, I hate to admit, was on a WinXP system; my old desktop which I nevertheless rarely switch on nowadays (except if I want to do something with Ubuntu, which is on another partition).

By the way, how are your studies going? Have you finally settled down into them again? I noticed that you are still compiling away on a regular basis for Puppy and it did cross my mind that you might run into problems with study time. I'm the same of course, I should be doing other things... but prefer doing this kind of stuff.

mcewanw

almost there with jabbin

#29 Post by mcewanw »

I made a quick dotpet without a menu item.
Then ran: jabbin &
But it complained that it couldn't find its "iconset" and questioned if I had installed it properly.
Just for the hell of it I went into the jabber installation directory (where the source was) and saw a file called "install.sh". I just ran that and lo and behold the iconset stuff was all copied to the right place and jabbin starts up fine. Of course, I'll have to fix the dotpet so that it does the same thing, but I'm sure I'll manage that much. I've yet to try jabbin with voice, so i'm hoping the speex thing helps and it will work with google talk. Trouble is, I can't be bothered doing more with it at the moment; maybe tomorrow. I don't remember what inspired me to run install.sh (seemed like a daft thing to do) but I have a slight recollection that I came across some thread on sourceforge forum that suggested that (but I may be dreaming).

iscraigh

#30 Post by iscraigh »

I have tried out Zoiper it works good and is a one file install 14Mb not small but the install is painless.

Craig

mcewanw

for non-open source but open protocols I'm using gizmo

#31 Post by mcewanw »

iscraigh wrote:I have tried out Zoiper it works good and is a one file install 14Mb not small but the install is painless.
Good to hear of another VOIP client, though I see Zoiper isn't open source (which is my interest in jabbin) and the free version comes with some functions removed.

For a non-opensource VOIP+IM program, but one that also uses open protocols SIP and Jabber, I am enjoying using Gizmo, which I've packaged as a less than 10 MByte dotpet too:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 911#204386

Still, it will be interesting to keep an eye on Zoiper, to see how it figures in things as time goes by. I hadn't heard of it before you posted.