pnethood - samba share mounter

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
clarf

#256 Post by clarf »

I recently found some small bugs in Pnethood and I want to share my fixes, at same time I want to join some Pnethood patches that I found in the Puppy forum and make a new version to add those changes.

I know there are many Pnethood variants that fixes some things. That is a problem because confuse users about which is the latest version, makes the report of new bugs a problem (they could be already fixed in some private version) and without an unificated version its difficult to further support Pnethood.

HairyWill already mentioned he will not support Pnethood anymore. So, I sent a PM to HairyWill three months ago, basically I requested and approval to launch an official new version by myself, but he seems to be very busy and out of any Puppy Linux development in this moment.

I´ll wait a little more for an answer. Meanwhile I´ll continue to test this beta new Pnethood "0.6.6 version" of mine.

Any comment is welcome

Greetings,
clarf

clarf

#257 Post by clarf »

duplicated

disciple

#258 Post by disciple »

If you want to maintain a single pnethood package, be aware that one of the fixes that makes it work with more recent puppies also stops it from working on slightly older puppies.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

clarf

#259 Post by clarf »

disciple wrote:If you want to maintain a single pnethood package, be aware that one of the fixes that makes it work with more recent puppies also stops it from working on slightly older puppies.
Thanks for the advice disciple.

I took the official 0.6.5 version as the regular base and then applied one for one all the fixes I have, these fixes are very specific and I don´t think anything will be broken for any puppy version.

I haven´t seen any fix to make it work with more recent puppies yet. But I´ll do a cross version test.

salutes,
clarf

disciple

#260 Post by disciple »

Are you using any patches to the mount command?

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

clarf

#261 Post by clarf »

Well, I´m using a modified code for the mount command.

Basically, I added to mount commands:

1. The iocharset=utf8 parameter when using cifs.
2. The workgroup=$DOMAINID parameter if user enabled Domain action (with and without cifs)

clarf

Mark_C

#262 Post by Mark_C »

clarf

Would you know if Pnethood has some sort of limitation on the number of computers it can see on the network?
We have 19 computers at work and it will only see 17 of them.

The two it doesn't see are the last two I set up for new employees, I originally thought maybe I had done something wrong setting them up but they see the whole network and others can see them.
I then booted puppy 3 and Linneighborhood sees all 19 so I figure it is something in pnethood.

Mark

disciple

#263 Post by disciple »

Can lameSMBxplorer see them?

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Mark_C

#264 Post by Mark_C »

I am pretty sure I tried LameSMBxplorer but I don't remember the results.
It either saw less or the same, I will have to try it again Monday and see what it does.

The strange thing is that some older Puppy versions with Pnethood only see 10 computers, even though they say they are the same version of Pnethood as in Lucid Puppy so there must be some difference.

I tried installing Linneighborhood in Lucid 5.1.1 and it works, except you cant mount the shares, it seems at some point Mtab was changed to a symbolic link and that messes up the mounting of shares. I tried changing Mtab to make it not a link and after that you can mount the shares but the system changes it back to a symbolic link on reboot.

Sit Heel Speak

#265 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Mark_C wrote:Would you know if Pnethood has some sort of limitation on the number of computers it can see on the network?
Two years ago, I saw a network of 12 Windows XP machines on which PNethood would see only 11 unless the scan time was raised.

Mark_C

#266 Post by Mark_C »

I set it to 30 seconds, which is the max on the menu, but it didn't make a difference, thank you for the tip though.

Sit Heel Speak wrote:
Mark_C wrote:Would you know if Pnethood has some sort of limitation on the number of computers it can see on the network?
Two years ago, I saw a network of 12 Windows XP machines on which PNethood would see only 11 unless the scan time was raised.

Mark_C

#267 Post by Mark_C »

Ok here are some things I tried today.
LameSMBxplorer doesn't seem to work in Lucid Puppy 5.1.1 it just scans and scans and locks up the network, I have to reboot the computer to free up the network(strange).

So I tried it in Fluppy and it sees 14 computers.

rcrsn51

#268 Post by rcrsn51 »

Just out of curiosity, what happens if you run nbtscan from the command line. Can it see all the machines?

Mark_C

#269 Post by Mark_C »

I ran nbtscan and it shows 17.
16 with names and 1 unknown.

rcrsn51 wrote:Just out of curiosity, what happens if you run nbtscan from the command line. Can it see all the machines?

rcrsn51

#270 Post by rcrsn51 »

If you run

Code: Select all

smbclient -NL NAME
where NAME is the NETBIOS name of one of the other two machines, is it detected?

disciple

#271 Post by disciple »

Mark_C wrote:Ok here are some things I tried today.
LameSMBxplorer doesn't seem to work in Lucid Puppy 5.1.1 it just scans and scans and locks up the network, I have to reboot the computer to free up the network(strange).
Interesting. I can't remember - does lameSMBxplorer use nbtscan? I have found that pnethood sometimes keeps scanning forever... if I run `killall nbtscan` it stops scanning and shows me all the shares :)

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

pemasu

#272 Post by pemasu »

`killall nbtscan`
Nice find. For me pnethood scans forever in lucid puppies. I even posted about it in some version thread. The problem has persisted up to 5.1.1.
I tested pnethood in puppy 4.3.1. No problem in my wlan-lan home network. The search finished quickly and did find shares.

Mark_C

#273 Post by Mark_C »

It wont see them, it comes back with with NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

rcrsn51 wrote:
If you run

Code: Select all

smbclient -NL NAME
where NAME is the NETBIOS name of one of the other two machines, is it detected?

Mark_C

#274 Post by Mark_C »

I ran lameSMBxplorer and using the killall nbtscan twice it stopped and the network became usable again.
Although after it stopped it did not show anything listed in the network.

disciple wrote:
Mark_C wrote:Ok here are some things I tried today.
Interesting. I can't remember - does lameSMBxplorer use nbtscan? I have found that pnethood sometimes keeps scanning forever... if I run `killall nbtscan` it stops scanning and shows me all the shares :)

disciple

#275 Post by disciple »

Mark_C wrote:It wont see them, it comes back with with NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME
Oh. I've seen that error. It was quite hard to find the right answer (in my case) with Google :(
IIRC some causes of it may have been identified earlier in this thread though.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER