Cannot compile nozomi driver

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Fabio T

Cannot compile nozomi driver

#1 Post by Fabio T »

Hey boys, this is my firts post.
I have a trouble with compiling nozomi driver for a Option HSDPA card that is working well on my laptop TARGA and Kubuntu Linux.
On that machine compilation of driver is OK (after unzipping file nozomi_2.11alpha_060917.tar.gz in an empty directory, type "make" and "make install" and the driver nozomi.ko is created).
But in Puppy this is not possible: :evil:
After installation of the toolkit devx_217.sfs (it is installed correctly, i tested it with the example test.c) i tried to compile it after decompression in an empty directory, but compiler complains:

# make
Warning: Compiling for 2.6:
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.21.5/build SUBDIRS=/mnt/hda5/Download/nozomi_2.21alpha_060917 modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/lib/modules/2.6.21.5/build'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `modules'. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/lib/modules/2.6.21.5/build'
make: *** [default] Error 2

To avoid installation problem I reinstalled Puppy with the Coexist option (to simplify installation) but the problem is still here, even with Puppy on Hard Drive (complete) install.
I tried to install nozomi.ko compiled with Kubuntu with insmod but system refuse to accept it (it says "Invalid format" or something else).

I can't use this fabulous card under Puppy for this empasse, anyone have any idea to solve this problem?
Thanks to anyone would help me.

FABIO

Everitt

#2 Post by Everitt »

It's possible that a driver like that would need the kernel source avaliable. This is avaliable as a sfs file [url=ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... ce_217.sfs]here/url]
I'm not sure if it would generate an error like that, most configure scripts would quit if they couldn't find the kernel src.
Actually, come to think of it, you don't mention running ./configure ... Did you?
Normally you should enter the directory, run ./configure, then make, then make install. Try that, and if that doesn't work try getting the kernel source.

Fabio T

Again...

#3 Post by Fabio T »

After a long delay, there is the result of compilation tries:

To run ./configure I have to copy Nozomi directory under /usr/share/libtools/libltdl, otherwise it not works.

Configure obtain this messages:

# ../configure
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/ginstall -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... .././install-sh -c -d
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
configure: error: source directory already configured; run "make distclean" there first

I run Make distclean but result is this:

# make distclean
make: *** No rule to make target `distclean'. Stop

I try to launch make but the reply...

# make
Warning: Compiling for 2.6:
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.21.7/build SUBDIRS=/usr/share/libtool/libltdl/nozomi modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.21.7'
make[2]: Warning: File `scripts/Makefile.lib' has modification time 2.5e+04 s in the future
CC [M] /usr/share/libtool/libltdl/nozomi/nozomi.o
/usr/share/libtool/libltdl/nozomi/nozomi.c: In function 'nozomi_setup_interrupt':
/usr/share/libtool/libltdl/nozomi/nozomi.c:1517: warning: passing argument 2 of 'request_irq' from incompatible pointer type
/usr/share/libtool/libltdl/nozomi/nozomi.c:1736:64: error: macro "INIT_WORK" passed 3 arguments, but takes just 2
/usr/share/libtool/libltdl/nozomi/nozomi.c: In function 'nozomi_card_init':
/usr/share/libtool/libltdl/nozomi/nozomi.c:1736: error: 'INIT_WORK' undeclared (first use in this function)
/usr/share/libtool/libltdl/nozomi/nozomi.c:1736: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
/usr/share/libtool/libltdl/nozomi/nozomi.c:1736: error: for each function it appears in.)
/usr/share/libtool/libltdl/nozomi/nozomi.c: At top level:
/usr/share/libtool/libltdl/nozomi/nozomi.c:2326: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
/usr/share/libtool/libltdl/nozomi/nozomi.c: In function 'ntty_tty_init':
/usr/share/libtool/libltdl/nozomi/nozomi.c:2361: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
/usr/share/libtool/libltdl/nozomi/nozomi.c:2362: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
make[2]: *** [/usr/share/libtool/libltdl/nozomi/nozomi.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/share/libtool/libltdl/nozomi] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.21.7'
make: *** [default] Error 2

Kubuntu compiles thois files in a moment...

I enclose source file with the hope that anyone can help me to compile this driver :( :(

Forgive me, I'm a newbie in Linux...

Thank You

:roll:
Attachments
nozomi_2.21alpha_060917.tar.gz
(24.21 KiB) Downloaded 677 times

Fabio T

Not compiles...

#4 Post by Fabio T »

I have downloaded file Kernel_src_301.sfs and copied in the same directory of devx_301.sfs but result not change...

tempestuous

#5 Post by tempestuous »

nozomi driver available for Puppy 3.x here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 587#163587

and for Puppy 2.12-2.16 here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 588#163588

Fabio T

#6 Post by Fabio T »

SOLVED!

It is a wrong parameter at line 1736.

This line of nozomi.c is:

INIT_WORK(&dc->tty_flip_wq_struct, tty_flip_queue_function, dc);

In Slackware this line of nozomi.c must be:

INIT_WORK(&dc->tty_flip_wq_struct, tty_flip_queue_function);

With this correction this works for me.

ThankYo everyone and a HAPPY GOOD YEAR!!!