Fire Hydrant 3.0.1b Soon to be released

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
ttuuxxx

Fire Hydrant 3.0.1b Soon to be released

#1 Post by ttuuxxx »

Hello peers

I've been building a new release of Fire Hydrant based on Fat Free, Its slimmer, Meaner and faster.
I have been fixing anything that was reported to me and also in the forums.
Basically what i need from you the users is any input you might want to see in this release before it goes live. Your voice does matter!, like which media players do you want? or which text editors do you want? Is Leafpad ok? or do you want Geany also?
Do you want games embedded into Firefox?
I'll leave this open for around 10Hrs or so then I'll make my final release.
Thanks for your time
ttuuxxx
www.ttuuxxx.com

veronicathecow

#2 Post by veronicathecow »

Hi I love fire hydrant but what I need is F.F. Thunderbird, O.O. all on ISO. Sadly extra packages never seem to work for me for except when someone has done a completed ISO
Anything along those lines appreciated.
Also for people like me with bad eyesight a "Clean theme" not these silly high contrast ones that XP has that are harder to read than normal would be brilliant.
Thanks for your consideration of these ideas.
Cheers
Tony
P.S. K3B is the best CD/DVD tools I have come across.

Snert

#3 Post by Snert »

Hi
I have been watching Puppy's growth here for long time, registered myself actually after found things have got more suitable to me. Because I am still stranger to creating side and probably will take while until I manage to build my own puplet, I would like to use this offer here.
I am Estonian, so I have found Puppy to suite me after Wizard Wizard appeared in start menu as it is now. Our language has own specific letters there and it's nice to have them now in use(shame me, not too good with adding locales to previous versions :P ).
I truely hope to not seem rude by trying ask out some software setup, but anyways, feels like it does, here I go:

1. as already mentioned above - K3B, best ever feeling to burn something.
2. listening Shoutcast, Xiph, etc, with recording ability - You should give try for some Romanian or Hungarian or Czech station. Very good to have on background while Cad'ing smth. No understanding - no mind off the work
3. Frostwire helps me alot
4. Dc++ is a great option
5. Gaim was quite unstable until Gaim2 appeared - super, also Pidgin, whatever
6 Qcad is nice tool
7. With bit older versions of Puppy I found me to be able watch alot streams with no problem, somehow latest versions do not support that much. I suspect, this gets solved at its own time anyways
8. In Europe lot of radiostations use rawflow plugin for Firefox. Any idea how to integrate this option to Seamonkey?
9. How about putting Debianinstaller also there?
10. And latest Skype, please
of course, wouldn't like lose Gxine, XMMS, Realplayer, Gimp, other "standard kind" applications of list

Well, wouldn't dare to stick my nose more up
Somehow I have feeling, that I would have lot of followers if this kind setup would be available to introduce. Puppy as kind is one of best things to appear in Penguland. Haven't seen the perfect distro yet, but I know, what I love now already...

Good Luck, whatever the decisions will be

Snert

#4 Post by Snert »

Oh, btw, if conciderable - VLC is sort of "Panzerfaust" if other players fail, however, too large probably

raffy

mplayer

#5 Post by raffy »

MPlayer has worked well, especially with Firefox media extensions.It will be nice to have these.

Also, would there be a tweak so that Firefox 2+ can show many tabs in the open window?

Office software tend to make the build large, so probably they are better used as add-on sfs.

ttuuxxx

here's an idea

#6 Post by ttuuxxx »

Ok i've been reading all your excellent responses, and basically what i am think is that, I might have to make 3 versions

version 1. extremely small for older pc's no java, some smaller applications, etc, around the 120MB

version 2. This would be more like my regular version, I would like to put K3B burner but that takes tons of dependencies and is about 80MB, and if you add 80mb for java, and say 90mb the original distro, Thats 250MB before any other video,web applications, so no K3B but I'll install Graveman , open office lite and. around 200-250mb

version 3 java, K3B, 4-6 video players, open office plus all the regular applications, a ball park figure of 440MB

if i am able to do this does anyone have extra server bandwidth, my current one freaked out this month when i went over 100gig of downloads in like 20 days, it was suppose to be unlimited and unmetered, man that gets me.

Thanks for everything, I'll start on version 1 and 2, and hold back on version 3 release until i get some extra hosting room, I know of 1 person who might help, so I'll contact him.
Also an idea might be, version 3 as a torrent file until i find extra space.
anyways have fun, :) ttuuxxx

veronicathecow

#7 Post by veronicathecow »

Hi I have a web site that I am not using much so may be able to host the 90 MB file for a while but why not torrent them instead? I will happily seed when my machine is on for a month or two.
May thanks for option 3 that would be great for convincing people puppy can do it all.
Cheers
Tony

klu9

#8 Post by klu9 »

another vote for torrenting; I've just done it with the latest version of Gray's NOP. Also, instead of posting links to individual http/ftp mirrors, I suggest posting a Metalink. This would spread the upload burden among several servers. Again I've done it with NOP, as well as the last few versions of standard Puppy. See: In fact, even if noone else uses Metalinks, I make them for myself and download Puppy that way: very fast, gets it from several different servers simultaneously, easy resumption in case of interruption and with built-in MD5 anti-corruption checking.

The way I've offered metalinks is by posting a query link to Metamirrors.nl for the file (this requires that someone {me :wink: } has previously added the urls for the MD5 checksums on the different mirrors to the Metamirrors database); when you click on it, Metamirrors then auto-generates and gives you a metalink. But if you build your own metalink, you can assign priority to different servers, to avoid delicate ones getting hammered. (e.g. you could assign ibiblio mirror a priority of 90, but your delicate server a priority of 60.) For example, this url: is the combination of the above code and a regular url for the Puppy iso; clicking on it will give you a metalink with not only that URL but all the others that have been added to the database (you can open the metalink file in a text editor to see for yourself). When you give the metalink to your metalink capable downloader, it can download from any or all of those mirrors simultaneously. Just make sure every mirror hosting the iso also hosts the MD5 in the same directory/folder, and that the urls of those MD5s have been added to the Metamirrors database. If I've made it sound complicated, let me just say this: if I am capable of doing these things, then it should be no problem for a "distro remasterer". :lol: I've never remastered anything.

Also, other possible hosts for FireHydrant: Caneri's puppylinux.ca and tuxfamily.org. See this forum thread:

Caneri

#9 Post by Caneri »

Firehydrant is now hosted on puppylinux.ca and welcome ttuuxx!

it is here

http://www.puppylinux.ca/puppyfiles/custom/

for now and will be moved as follows when ttuuxxx gets it up ;)

http://www.puppylinux.ca/ttuuxxx/

Welcome again and enjoy.
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

jameson737

fire hydrant 3.01b

#10 Post by jameson737 »

Cool man, count me in as another vote for version 2 which comes with open office!! It's just get hotter with fire hydrant. :D

veronicathecow

#11 Post by veronicathecow »

Metalinks sounds a great addition giving us the best of all worlds.
Thanks

tlchost

Re: Fire Hydrant 3.0.1b Soon to be released

#12 Post by tlchost »

ttuuxxx wrote: Basically what i need from you the users is any input you might want to see in this release before it goes live.
I just made a live CD of the a version....and was really happy that you have the cups version 1.1.23 .. it supports my laser4plus.

Unfortunately, it doesn't recognize my video in xorg...and I can't change the screen resolution in xvesa.

Hope this information helps.

ttuuxxx

all 3 new ones are made, and one varient

#13 Post by ttuuxxx »

Hi I've been working like mad on making theses versions, I'm currently uploading them and will be releasing them later on today, I think it will be the biggest single person release in puppy history, a total of 3 Fire Hydrants and one Variant, the reason for a Variant is that the main Fire Hydrant release has 2 versions, one with Abiword 205MB and the other with Open Office cutdown 270MB. Also a featherweight no-java version 130MB. Then one final version that will have just about everything all of you wanted, other than Qcad, I tried to get Qcad going but it needs a lot of libraries and isn't guaranteed to work, but i did put another cad program in it.But i'm currently working on it and i think it will be big in size, but it runs fine on my dual core AMD 4400 with 1 gig of ddr2 800. I'll try to figure out the specs of each also. :) ttuuxxx

ttuuxxx

#14 Post by ttuuxxx »

Snert wrote:Hi
I have been watching Puppy's growth here for long time, registered myself actually after found things have got more suitable to me. Because I am still stranger to creating side and probably will take while until I manage to build my own puplet, I would like to use this offer here.
I am Estonian, so I have found Puppy to suite me after Wizard Wizard appeared in start menu as it is now. Our language has own specific letters there and it's nice to have them now in use(shame me, not too good with adding locales to previous versions :P ).
I truely hope to not seem rude by trying ask out some software setup, but anyways, feels like it does, here I go:

1. as already mentioned above - K3B, best ever feeling to burn something.
2. listening Shoutcast, Xiph, etc, with recording ability - You should give try for some Romanian or Hungarian or Czech station. Very good to have on background while Cad'ing smth. No understanding - no mind off the work
3. Frostwire helps me alot
4. Dc++ is a great option
5. Gaim was quite unstable until Gaim2 appeared - super, also Pidgin, whatever
6 Qcad is nice tool
7. With bit older versions of Puppy I found me to be able watch alot streams with no problem, somehow latest versions do not support that much. I suspect, this gets solved at its own time anyways
8. In Europe lot of radiostations use rawflow plugin for Firefox. Any idea how to integrate this option to Seamonkey?
9. How about putting Debianinstaller also there?
10. And latest Skype, please
of course, wouldn't like lose Gxine, XMMS, Realplayer, Gimp, other "standard kind" applications of list

Well, wouldn't dare to stick my nose more up
Somehow I have feeling, that I would have lot of followers if this kind setup would be available to introduce. Puppy as kind is one of best things to appear in Penguland. Haven't seen the perfect distro yet, but I know, what I love now already...

Good Luck, whatever the decisions will be
the big one i'm building right now covers all these applications other than rawflow plugin , I didn't included that plugin because it would force everyone to p2p and force everyone to accept the privacy policy of rawflow. Also DC++ is a windows app and i included frostwire and azureus . So that should cover the DC++
Thanks for all your great comments

ttuuxxx

snapshot of the extra large Fire Hydrant

#15 Post by ttuuxxx »

hi i'm still building the extra large version but i was thinking why no give a sneak peek of the big one, I think when i am finished, I'll group the desktop shortcut icons into folders because its taking so much desktop space.Like an example folders could be "P2P" and "Burning" "Office" "Multimedia" that would remove like 20+ icons , what do you think?
Attachments
firehydrantXL.jpg
(105.63 KiB) Downloaded 7274 times

tlchost

Re: snapshot of the extra large Fire Hydrant

#16 Post by tlchost »

ttuuxxx wrote:hi i'm still building the extra large version but i was thinking why no give a sneak peek of the big one, I think when i am finished, I'll group the desktop shortcut icons into folders because its taking so much desktop space.Like an example folders could be "P2P" and "Burning" "Office" "Multimedia" that would remove like 20+ icons , what do you think?
That makes sense from a no-clutter view point. The icons look good. BTW, has the inabaility to change screen resolution in vesa been addressed?

Thanks

ttuuxxx

Re: snapshot of the extra large Fire Hydrant

#17 Post by ttuuxxx »

tlchost wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:hi i'm still building the extra large version but i was thinking why no give a sneak peek of the big one, I think when i am finished, I'll group the desktop shortcut icons into folders because its taking so much desktop space.Like an example folders could be "P2P" and "Burning" "Office" "Multimedia" that would remove like 20+ icons , what do you think?
That makes sense from a no-clutter view point. The icons look good. BTW, has the inabaility to change screen resolution in vesa been addressed?

Thanks
Yes i've managed to get vesa and xorg both working, I'm just fixing the menus right now and then i'll start uploading the big version, I added a few more applications since that 2 more p2p programs and both connect to dc++ network:)
ttuuxxx

Turpin

#18 Post by Turpin »

Wow. I really like what you're doing. I'm using 3.01a right now. The only complaint I'd have is probably more a complaint about the ICEWM window manager: I can't drag executables to the dektop to create links. Frankly, I still haven't figured out how to make a link on the desktop yet. I'm sure I'll take the time to figure that out soon. I've taken the time to complain about it anyway.
Really though, excellent work. You've put the best apps in and really shined up the dektop. Looks great. Works fast!

darethehair

Fire Hydrant Near Future?

#19 Post by darethehair »

Hello ttuuxxx and others! My first post...

Long story short: as an Xmas stocking stuffer idea, I have purchased 1gb USB flash drives for my nephews and nieces, and one of the things that I was thinking of putting on them was a mini Linux distribution that they could boot from (and be persistent as well, for any changes made). Re-discovered Puppy, successfully installed it onto a USB drive, and now want a few more 'frills':

- flash9
- java
- thunderbird

(in other words, things that make web-surfing the most interesting)

Right now, as I type this, I am using a live CD 'Fire Hydrant'. It makes me happy to see that:

- it can run *some* flash media, but not the newest stuff (since it uses flash7 player)
- it can run my java-based apps!
- it can install skype, but it is a very old version in the Puppy repositories and I was 2.0+ with video
- it has firefox!
- it has thunderbird!

So, it is *so close* that I can almost taste it! Time is running out (of course) for me to do this. Any vibes on if/when Fire Hydrant will have this stuff, or perhaps any other distributions that do?

I am a long time Redhat-now-Fedora user that is used to RPM-based software installing.

Thanks

oldog1984

#20 Post by oldog1984 »

does anyone have acopy of this try to download 2 times broken download if someone has this or could put this up as a torrent i will more than gladly to help seed thanks alot