JWM Themes Exchange

Themes, icons, wallpapers, etc.
magerlab

#181 Post by magerlab »

that jwm-alpha looks pretty nice( matches candido themes that i use)
the only thing i want is a small theme with smaller window borders and fonts for small eee pc screen
once again i see the power of that little window manager!

ttuuxxx

#182 Post by ttuuxxx »

magerlab wrote:that jwm-alpha looks pretty nice( matches candido themes that i use)
the only thing i want is a small theme with smaller window borders and fonts for small eee pc screen
thats easily done with icewm. Just one setting for the top and one for the bottom and the fonts is one line in the gtk theme your using. But things like blinky would have to be reduced and the min,lower,max buttons would have to be reduced now that I think of it, probably would take me about 3hrs to convert a icewm theme.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

jcoder24

#183 Post by jcoder24 »

ttuuxxx wrote:
magerlab wrote:that jwm-alpha looks pretty nice( matches candido themes that i use)
thats easily done with icewm. Just one setting for the top and one for the bottom and the fonts is one line in the gtk theme your using. But things like blinky would have to be reduced and the min,lower,max buttons would have to be reduced now that I think of it, probably would take me about 3hrs to convert a icewm theme.
ttuuxxx
Is this the JWM Themes Exchange thread?

jcoder24

#184 Post by jcoder24 »

Patriot

Thanks for your efforts with jwm. I've been using the jwm alpha since its release without any issues.

ttuuxxx

#185 Post by ttuuxxx »

jcoder24 wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:
ttuuxxx
Is this the JWM Themes Exchange thread?
JWM ICEWM who cares its all in the next puppy release, These 2 window managers go toe to toe all the time, JWM was always default but IceWM was mostly the replacement, I've had well over 700 downloads just on my first release, my second was way past that.
Plus people could learn somethings, like I said blinky would have to be reduced in size, so would freememory applet,
If people weren't so eager to jump on someone mentioning 1 paragraph about icewm, I could lend a hand and improve things. But really JWM days are numbered unless you find a way to get rid of the ugly MICROSOFT WINDOWS 95 look too the windows page decorations [_] [--] [X], would it be that hard to code in some png or xpm images?
sure the new gradients do give JWM some new life, but I really do hate looking at things that resemble MS products. If that would change I bet a lot of people would reconsider changing wm's, I for one like JWM a lot. is small, stable, what you guys are doing with themes is great, I've made some myself for JWM, also the other thing that needs improving is the taskbar menu button, it does handle images very clearly, ever notice that, I had a heck of a time making a button image clear for one of my Fire Hydrant retro versions. So 2 things really I could see improving on.
ttuuxxx

`f00

#186 Post by `f00 »

Have no idea of how it works, but it does - definitely needs Xorg support to function with transparency (I 1st tried it on an Xvesa pup and it got the radius'd corners, but not much of an xorg.conf there to work with ..). The window opacity/transparency seems to take a while to 'settle in' or maybe I just got lucky after some diddling - very good job, patriot and thanks

a screenshot and here's another mod for the adventurous - I'm using the sidetrays for a pagerleft and dockright these days in jwm, only use the bottom tray for a tasklist anymore .. surprising how things work out :) yell at me if the tar.gz is funky .. the beta's have been on'n'off for me lately
Attachments
modcopper.tar.gz
md5=E0ECCA57F5196330EE23F75C54419AA5
(908 Bytes) Downloaded 657 times

cb88

#187 Post by cb88 »

Patriot you can have svn access whenever you want just PM me your sourceforge unix name

also how about an "official" JWM config panel that follows the current JWM theme written the same dependancies as JWM I know it is a lot to ask but it is always a good idea to have any settings tools well integrated with the program
Last edited by cb88 on Tue 24 Feb 2009, 01:32, edited 1 time in total.
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

ttuuxxx

#188 Post by ttuuxxx »

Like the copper look, excellent theme :)
ttuuxxx

panzerpuppy

#189 Post by panzerpuppy »

patriot's JWM = JWM done right

Unlike the previous hack,this one fixes every major bug in the previous build, including the gxine restore-from-fullscreen issue. Not only that,but now it looks absolutely gorgeous with the rounded corners,flat menus and without those ugly button separators.

The only major things missing are button feedback on mouseover (for the taskbar,tray and window buttons)* and horizontal gradients (as in Windows 2000 / KDE).

* The menu does have this feature.

Without feedback,everything feels static and "unprofessional".

I'd like to see this "feedback on mouseover" feature implemented for the ROX desktop icons as well.
Last edited by panzerpuppy on Tue 24 Feb 2009, 09:15, edited 2 times in total.

magerlab

#190 Post by magerlab »

xcompmgr is nice also, but no video in gxine.
i saw that in sidux gxine plays video with composite effects
maybe it's patched somehow?

Dougal

#191 Post by Dougal »

kirk wrote:Would it be difficult to switch the JWM tray into autohide mode when you switch to fullscreen? Thanks for your work.
It shouldn't be changed to autohide, it should just be hidden... that's one of the JWM bugs that need fixing.

Patriot: you should probably start a thread for the improved JWM (I found a bug, but this isn't really the thread for it...).
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

Patriot

#192 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm ...

My apologies to all for my lack of presence. I'm recovering from flu the past week or so ... please allow a few more days for me to recover. It's mighty uncomfortable to look at the screen with bleary eyes and the sneezings ...

As it is, my intended enhancements for JWM is feature complete for now. Before I got these bleary eyes, these were completed :

- user window bitmap mask button support.
- fixed a small drawing glitch to the tray buttons.
- translucency option checked against composite support.

I will also look into keeping the tray hidden in fullscreen mode in a couple of days. There's also a small glitch with xcompmgr that still eludes me.

I appreciate all the feedbacks (whether good or bad) on how JWM can be further improved.

@Dougal
The JWM source codes only need one last checking and everything will be available soon. I agree that it should be in its own thread. Hope to see you and everyone else over there soon ...

@magerlab
For having video in gxine with xcompmgr, I've read somewhere that you may need to disable the color key (colorkey = 0) and/or using the xv driver. Using kcompmgr seems to give better result as it has some bug fixes. Hope that helps.

@panzerpuppy
I'm glad you enjoyed the new look. Horizontal gradient can be added but please allow some time for me to think how to implement it properly. I've also already thought of adding simple hover buttons support but lets put it on KIV for now.

@cb88
Thank you for the svn access allowance. Will do that soon.

A JWM config manager isn't on my list of todo right now but I agree it would be great to have. I imagine a WYSIWYG config manager where everything is configurable. We'll see ...

@`foo & jcoder24
I sure hope you both enjoyed the enhanced JWM.

@ttuuxxx
The window buttons can now be bitmasked to something else. No png/xpm yet. Wanted to keep small+simple for now and stay bug free before adding "new bugs" ... The menu buttons 'very clear images' may well be looked into later ...

@
Oohh my eyes ... need some rest now ... see ya later everyone ...

Rgds

`f00

#193 Post by `f00 »

No need for an apology, flu is all you needed to say - do take care, plenty of fluids + ... you know the drill ;)

cya when you're back on your game 8)

magerlab

#194 Post by magerlab »

i tried to reduce the size of the fonts in jwm theme by editing a theme by hand( gradient-grey)
but when i choose my new theme i lost jwm-tray and color became yellow as in citrus-cut theme :D
of course, i restore everything easily, but how can i set fonts properly?

ttuuxxx

#195 Post by ttuuxxx »

magerlab wrote:i tried to reduce the size of the fonts in jwm theme by editing a theme by hand( gradient-grey)
but when i choose my new theme i lost jwm-tray and color became yellow as in citrus-cut theme :D
of course, i restore everything easily, but how can i set fonts properly?
you have to edit
/usr/share/themes open the folder of which theme you want to edit
you'll see a gtkrc file, right click on it and open it as text

a few lines down it will say
font_name="DejaVu Sans 12" <---change it to like 10 or 8 like this
font_name="DejaVu Sans 10"

then save it and try it, should work perfectly
Sometimes you get themes that don't have that and go by system defaults, well all you do is add that line and you should be fine, usually under
style "theme-default"
{
font_name="DejaVu Sans 12" <-- like that

ttuuxxx

Leon

#196 Post by Leon »

Patriot wrote:I appreciate all the feedbacks (whether good or bad) on how JWM can be further improved.
patriot,

Thank you for your efforts.

I tried your jwm-alpha-preview.tar.gz in Puppy 4.1.2.

1. Fullscreen toggle and restore window work perfectly.

2. Please make rounded corners optional. I prefer squared corner windows, taskbuttons, tasklists and popup.

This is my theme used with unpatched Jwm 2.0.1.

Full screen:
http://freeweb.siol.net/ladsl/jwm-2.0.1 ... 24x768.png

I would like it looked the same except for the TrayButtons.

3. I would like the TrayButton look like this:

4. It would be nice if a TrayButton looked raised when mouse pointer hovers over it.

5. What about an option to set the window title centered?

ttuuxxx

#197 Post by ttuuxxx »

Hey patriot,

The next future puppy 4.2, will be supporting 24x24 icons and moving away from most of the 16x16 icons for menus, programs, so Just a heads-up on what other things you might want to look at the menu/taskbar on jwm and increase the size to match, Those 16x16 icons didn't have much detail anyways, and 24x24 is all that much larger, but look a lot better than the older 16x16 ones, great work on JWM
ttuuxxx

disciple

#198 Post by disciple »

?
You can use larger pixmaps in the taskbar anyway Ttuuxx... can't you?
The next future puppy 4.2, will be supporting 24x24 icons
That's a pity, quite a lot of reviews seem to make a big deal about how Barry made Puppy's menu fit on short screens...
2. Please make rounded corners optional.
Yes please. Pixels are square. Windows are square. Why does everyone insist on round borders? :)

The other change that would be very good is if windows could be resized from the top (like they could before 2.x :) )
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

panzerpuppy

#199 Post by panzerpuppy »

The other change that would be very good is if windows could be resized from the top (like they could before 2.x)
Oh yeah! It would be great to have that feature back. That would be a *major* improvement.

`f00

#200 Post by `f00 »

Yep. Much depends on the display size, type and how/if it's tweaked for color-temp, gamma etc (I know I 'cheat' a bit to my personal tastes but such is the norm for 'personal' computers dedicated to single users or so I'd imagine). It's kind of an art of compromise with lots of variables, I find myself trying to look with other eyes sometimes if a design concept is really at odds with what works for me (occasionally good things result, but culture can also be diluted to a characterless wash and by trying to please all .. if indeed such a thing is ever possible).

Decoration - aye, there's the candy. Small tidbits in the form of animation or buttons or just general elements can be a real fun change or even useful if that look meshes with the users coordinated flow and their method of perception and action.

There's a whole 'psychology' of a desktop environment, the airy lightness of transparency is particularly intriguing if it can be easily and conveniently controlled (and perhaps we're well on our way towards that goal here in jwm!) without too much affecting system responsiveness (and yes, I did notice a slight input lag there in Geany when the full window transparency came up .. so everyone will have to draw their own redlines for what is acceptable on their hardware - menu and tray transparency seem to impact performance hardly at all, likely due to their more-or-less transitory nature).

Icons (OT4here). Personal choice, really - I tend to think of them more as simple visual flags and stick with what works for me ('tiny' 16's for mainmenu if I have an easy choice) - again, screen size plays a large part on whether the scale works or things seem cramped or too wide open spaces and you need a decent bombsight to hit that droptarget) .. of especial note is using a distinctive unique and characteristic representative for apps (how often does one need to at least glance at the text to be sure of the app? breaks the flow, it does)

Soft-rounded or hard-square or fuzzy/crisp? That goes back to desktop 'psych' - it's as much a personal pref as colors and values .. some like a nerf playground of cartoons, others like a no nonsense approach - it's a wonderful virtual world when we have choice :)

Oya, the full-wrap visible border is still available on some wms, now where did I see that? style and fashion :lol: