Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 24 Oct 2014, 23:58
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Compiz, Puppy 3.01 NOP and an ATI 9000 success story
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 2 of 3 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
lokster

PostPosted: Tue 06 Nov 2007, 07:24    Post_subject:  

I installed these pup's on my Puppy 3.01 NOP and got all compiz effects, except, there is no window decoration.
I am using the nvidia binary drivers (and they a re configured correctly).
Where is the problem?
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Tue 06 Nov 2007, 07:47    Post_subject:  

I don't think every plug in and effect is included. For example I have no raindrops. Smile
tombh

PostPosted: Tue 06 Nov 2007, 12:23    Post_subject:  

Hi lokster,

Do you mean absolutely no decoration, as in not even buttons to close and minimise? If so, then I reckon that's almost definitely because the line:

Code:
export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 

in etc/profile

has not been changed to:

Code:
#export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1

Notice the # sign at the very beginning of the line.

I know that some graphics cards cannot do all the effects, for instance my card doesn't have pixel shaders and so cannot render snow, fire or blurry windows even though I have the plugins Sad

But I reckon window decoration is pretty basic and should almost certainly work on any 3D card, certainly if you're getting the rest of the compiz effects.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Tue 06 Nov 2007, 12:39    Post_subject:  

No I get decorations and flashing close and minimize buttons - I think I added that line you suggest (if it was suggested in the ATI setup which I followed)

I am back in Linux Tmxxine Prism. Rather neat. Due to the different versions CD loading, I can have radically different Puppys. Today I have run NOP with Compiz, Puppy Dingo (Puppy 4 Alpha) and Prism. All from DVD

I rather like that Smile

lokster

PostPosted: Wed 07 Nov 2007, 04:44    Post_subject:  

OMG! It worked! Very Happy

But it required reboot. After changing /etc/profile and restarting X, it did't worked, so i have done it the windows way - reboot Smile

And wow! Finally, after 3 days of doing this and that, and no decorations at all...

Thank you very much! Puppy rulez Very Happy

PS: just to be clear: lokster is NOT Lobster despite our nicknames sound similar. Its just a coincidence.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Wed 07 Nov 2007, 05:18    Post_subject:  

Quote:
just to be clear: lokster is NOT Lobster despite our nicknames sound similar. Its just a coincidence.

m m m . . . there are no coincidences, just synchronicity of a chaotic kind . . .

Also as a heretic Buddhist (just a hobby) I believe individuality and persona is a persistent delusion (like my imaginary psychiatrist)

By the way glad it worked. Another Puppy Compiz-Fusioneer Smile

mcewanw

PostPosted: Wed 07 Nov 2007, 06:29    Post_subject: not convincing  

lokster wrote:

PS: just to be clear: lokster is NOT Lobster despite our nicknames sound similar. Its just a coincidence.

I'm not convinced. Lobster likes success stories. What better way to engineer that than to discuss a self-created invented problem with someone you pretend is not yourself? Eventually someone else will come along with a solution, allowing you to finish off the thread neatly with all-round pats on the back, and general expressions of good karma between yourself and your mirror.

However, I think you would garner more readers to the thread if you instead got into a blazing argument with "each other". Nothing like blood and broken mirrors to create an alienation effect sufficient for the promulgation of your positive propaganda! Smile

Edited_time_total
mcewanw

PostPosted: Wed 07 Nov 2007, 06:33    Post_subject: very suspicious  

come to think of it... tombh seems to have also "joined" the forum very recently (in terms of posts). I am almost now certain that everyone contributing to this thread (apart from myself) is the same person..!
mark2

PostPosted: Wed 07 Nov 2007, 14:57    Post_subject:  Re: very suspicious  

mcewanw wrote:
come to think of it... tombh seems to have also "joined" the forum very recently (in terms of posts). I am almost now certain that everyone contributing to this thread (apart from myself) is the same person..!

are you getting those suggestions from the voice you hear in the left ear or in the right. Very Happy Very Happy

www.crowncarcare.co.uk
wow

PostPosted: Fri 09 Nov 2007, 02:13    Post_subject:  

Lobster wrote:
I don't think every plug in and effect is included.

If I'm not mistaken, I have included every working plugin(main, extra, unsupported, and some uncategorized or under development). Wink
Lobster wrote:
For example I have no raindrops. Smile

I have no raindrops too, because my hardware(video card) is too old for its requirements.

gray

PostPosted: Fri 09 Nov 2007, 05:28    Post_subject: Raindrops are fallin on my...  

I have raindrops Very Happy . I tried the compiz_test02.pet and noticed that in the /tmp/xerrs.log file that compiz complains about text.so not being the correct ABI whatever that means - I think it is working OK, though text does seem to stretch badly when you resize a window.

This is the first time I have seen compiz in action. I was previously very sceptical about 'wobbly windows' and their value, but now I am bitten.

The effects are awesome {still dont like wobblies though so I switched them off}. I showed some of the guys at work who have just shelled out vast sums for new machines with vista - they were gobsmacked. Twisted Evil
tombh

PostPosted: Fri 09 Nov 2007, 07:06    Post_subject:  

Yeah I get the strange stretching of text in the window title too. Though I don't see the 'wrong ABI' error thing in xerrs.log

Another thing I noticed is that I get a fairly significant CPU spike with little animated things, eg. these animated smiley faces on the forum, or the page-loading indicator in firefox, or the visualizer-thing in amarok. I did read somewhere that this was a compiz thing and that it had been addressed in certain circumstances. But then again it could just be my old hardware? It hasn't actually been a problem yet, so not to worry.

Although one thing that I haven't sorted yet is full-screen video playback. Mplayer has to be using x11 to play video (and gxine xshm (flash in opera seems to work fine)) but then it won't play fullscreen Sad However, I have tried using the Enhanced Zoom Plugin on the mplayer window to simulate fullscreen and it's actually pretty watchable!
gray

PostPosted: Tue 13 Nov 2007, 05:21    Post_subject: compiz  

This is sooo coool. I have been playing with the compiz snow plugin. As I had a space background I used Star Wars xwing and tiefighter images as snow textures and have them flying across the screen from right to left. Now I have an animated background !

The files are attached, and the snow settings I use are;-

Number of Snowflakes : 150
Size of Snowflakes : Max
Snow Speed : 90
Update Delay : 10
Screen Boxing : 1000
Screen Depth : 1000
Rotate off
Snow Direction : Right to left
snowscreen.png
 Description   
 Filesize   548.75 KB
 Viewed   1058 Time(s)

snowscreen.png

starwarssnow.tar.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  starwarssnow.tar.gz 
Filesize  35.63 KB 
Downloaded  374 Time(s) 
cb88

PostPosted: Tue 13 Nov 2007, 11:53    Post_subject:  

When I had compiz installed on my pc (sempron 1.8ghz 512mb geforce2 64mb) I would watch DVDs just fine fullscreen.... just make sure that mplayer is setup to use the opengl driver in preferences I know that one worked I can 't remember if the other ones did...

the video will play full screen on one side of the cube and the colors might get messed up it you rotate or take screenshots but OK otherwize

FYI my card has no shaders but does fire just fine.... and snow in compiz (not in beryl) but water effects have yet to appear... I don't see why water effects would be soo hard since I can do some basic water effects with xdesktopwave and that is not even accelerated...

the geforce2 does have NSR's though so maybe those are being used?
wikipedia>>
Quote:
The GeForce2 also introduced the NVIDIA Shading Rasterizer (NSR), which was actually a primitive form of what is known as pixel shaders today, though they were not programmable and only found use in tech demos.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/feature_nsr.html

Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30
tombh

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov 2007, 06:42    Post_subject:  

Thanks cb88, I have actually got snow and fire! I just hadn't set the keybindings to ones that worked. The Super (windows button) key and F-keys don't seem to work. But as soon as I changed them, bingo! A white Christmas in front of a roasty open fire Smile

I tried the OpenGL (and gl2) video driver in mplayer and although it did play full screen, it just flickered too much and wouldn't zoom for the cube rotation, in fact I couldn't even get the right-click menu too close full screen until I stopped the video with the space bar.

Oh yeah, stars wars snow over earth Shocked I never thought I'd see such a thing, brilliant.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 2 of 3 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum