Pwireless-0.8.4

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
Plume

#46 Post by Plume »

Just a little problem to mention with Pwireless.
I have iwconfig from Wireless-Tool version 29 (iwconfig -v).
iwconfig wlan0 returns:
Quality:....
while Pwireless looks for 'Quality='.
So Quality and Signal/Noise are not shown.

Am I the only one with Quality: instead of Quality= ?

plinej

#47 Post by plinej »

Thanks for the feedback. I will certainly tweak the script to make it work correctly for you.

plinej

#48 Post by plinej »

0.8.3 is up and it should fix your bug report "Plume"

Plume

#49 Post by Plume »

Thank's for me and for newcomers who will appreciate Pwireless works for them too out of the box.

zigbert

#50 Post by zigbert »

Hello Jason

Would it be possible to add a splash window while Pwireless searches for networks. I start Pwireless, and 'nothing' happens for some seconds.

Sigmund

urban soul
Location: "Killing a nerd is not as much fun as ist sounds" B.Simpson

#51 Post by urban soul »

Sigmund,

are you aware that 0.8.3 and 0.8.2 use the now obsolete../profile-conf as database? In 4.xx series Puppies the new network wizard should fill the gap - it uses a new database format.

However version 0.8.1 uses its own profiles, somewhere in ~/.config/Pwireless if I recall right. In theory it is possible for 4.xx users to switch back to this version. However, I highly recommend storing wireless profile data in only one place. It would be hard to explain to the enduser why data he entered once is not available to the system, but only to one (system-level) utility.

Urban

masinick

Does Pwireless-0.8.3 handle WPA/PSK?

#52 Post by masinick »

Hi plinej,

Thanks for creating yet another useful tool!

One problem I run into when I use Puppy (I've used it for many releases now, but I have to admit that I do not use it on a daily basis) is that when I come back, particularly since I started using Wireless Networks, I have trouble figuring out which is the most appropriate Puppy Networking tool to use! (Nice problem, eh?) ;-)

If I get hopelessly messed up, somewhere in the deep recesses of my stuff I have a number of topics listed and printed out, and I even have a manual set of steps that I can run and create myself.

It would help me to know if:

1. The Pwireless tool is designed to handle WPA/PSK connections? I had problems with it the other evening when trying out the new 4.1.2 release.

2. What the most appropriate wireless tool is when NOT roaming around - and using a home wireless router?

3. Conversely, what the most appropriate wireless tool is for wireless roaming?

Ultimately, it sure would be nice if most, if not all of the tools worked in most, if not all of the possible scenarios. I know that everyone tends to have their favorites. Over at my friendly MEPIS lovers (many of whom are also fond of Puppy), both SimplyMEPIS and the smaller antiX have THREE wireless configuration tools, mnetworks, wicd, and ceni, and they all work. So I do not mind having more than one tool - variety is the spice of life - in tools and in distributions.

Since Puppy is small and the developments have come from many places, ultimately I do not mind if not everything suits my needs, as long as I can solve my problem. From a usability perspective, it would be nice if the wireless access tools just did the job, regardless of which ones are chosen.

Please forgive my ignorance, since while I have used Puppy often, there can be gaps of weeks, sometimes a few months between uses. My comments are also being sent for two purposes:

1. To improve my understanding on what the appropriate tools are and how to best use them.

2. Politely suggest that the current situation can be confusing to infrequent visitors, such as me, and ways to minimize confusion would be most appreciated.

Thanks so much for the software and the tools. At the end of the day, CLEARLY there are ways to get the interfaces up and running. I am just hoping for a clearer understanding so I can jump in very quickly and get going, because that is why I use Puppy in the first place - to get a very fast, in memory based system that races, especially when simply browsing the Web and doing little else.
Brian Masinick
masinick \at\ yahoo \dot\ com

urban soul
Location: "Killing a nerd is not as much fun as ist sounds" B.Simpson

Re: Does Pwireless-0.8.3 handle WPA/PSK?

#53 Post by urban soul »

masinick wrote:...Please forgive my ignorance...
No, sorry. Would you mind reading the thread you are posting to?

plinej

#54 Post by plinej »

Does someone have a copy of the 0.8.1 version that they can post. I haven't been around on the forums for a while so I apologize for not answering any questions. I've deleted all of my old versions and would like to go back to the original way I stored the profiles since it doesn't work anymore. I also want to apply a couple of other fixes.

plinej

#55 Post by plinej »

nevermind, I see 0.8.1 is in the official repositories along with 0.8.3. I'll do some updates to it soon.

plinej

#56 Post by plinej »

0.8.4 is up and should fix the saved profiles issue and also has a splash screen so you know it's working to build the main gui.

WB7ODYFred

Pwireless-0.8.4

#57 Post by WB7ODYFred »

---> i#nclude on line 572
---> #include edit to this form

Corrected typo in line 572 from i#nclude to #include
uploaded petpackage pwireless-0.8.4

Whodo or plinej Can this file be put out to the puppymirrors?
Which persons are in charge/control of placing files in the puppylinux mirrors?

I would like to see this updated pwireless file and updated petget file be put under pet_packages-4 subdirectory. Where new users can download them around the world.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/di ... ckages-4/

Question: Can the return value of a Failed dhcpcd or dclient or ?? be
used to put an orange,yellow,or pink message reporting DHCP FAILED to get a network dynamic IP and is filling the IP with a generic "go-nowhere" random number
269.154.33.88. Click Retry to run DHCP a 2nd time.

With a little more time, study and reading I might be able to modify the script
to help newbies with a color alert when DHCP FAILED.
Attachments
petget-4.1.2.pet
Updated petget file with 5 added mirror sources. Austria, Australia, South Africa, Portugal, Thailand. Ready to add another Mirror source for India, China, or Russia
(20.66 KiB) Downloaded 1048 times
pwireless-0.8.4.pet
Corrected typo in line 572 i#nclude to #include
(5.29 KiB) Downloaded 1117 times

ecomoney

#58 Post by ecomoney »

This utility is fantastic, and Im glad whodo has seen the wisdom in included it from the top launch menu on puppy 4.2. Three clicks and your online, great!

May add a few suggestions that would improve the useability of this great little app
Would it be possible to add a splash window while Pwireless searches for networks. I start Pwireless, and 'nothing' happens for some seconds
I totally agree, some feedback on what was happening here would be great

Is there a way of showing a signal meter instead of "34/100" or "78/100" in the signal strength column? I dont know if GTK allows for this.

When connecting to a network, could the title of the dialog box read "Connecting", "Attempting connection to the "xxxxx" network..please wait", rather than the "running dhcp to obtain an ip address". I believe this would help the user better understand, in their terms, what was going on. The progress bar indicates whats going on "under the covers" which is a great feature.

When the wireless is connected, I dont think the screen that displays gives the user sufficient confirmation that the operation has actually succeeded. Perhaps

[/quote]Success! You are now connected to the wireless network "ecomoney".

Note: Your "I.P. address" on this network is 192.168.0.3

[ReConnect] [Rescan] [OK]"

(its good practice to put the "ok" button in the bottom right of the dialogue)

The underlying code and seems fine, but attention to these few cosmetics would make it more useful to puppy's intended audience.

Many thanks for your work on this plinej
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

plinej

#59 Post by plinej »

I'll look into some of your ideas when I get a chance. Thanks for the feedback.

JMX

#60 Post by JMX »

plinej,

1) I fixed the occasional failure of Pwireless 0.8.4 to fully paste the captured wireless info on to the screen upon initial opening. I inserted "sleep 2" to the /usr/sbin/Pwireless file at the end of the section entitled "###Get the wireless device, i.e. atho, wlan0, ra0, etc...". Now the captured info is pasted the first time, everytime, even when I invoke Pwireless from within a shell script.

2) I lose the "second line" of my Profile settings whenever I inadvertently start a second instance of Pwireless. (Probably because of the way the echo calls function.) Is there a way in Linux to deny a second instance of Pwireless?

Very nice program for managing public/private wireless connections...

JMX

#61 Post by JMX »

plinej,

Well, I may have set a speed record for fixing my own problem...

Shortly after my previous post I discovered that my Profile list issue (number 2) was of my own creation because of an entry I had in a script file that was invoking Pwireless. Multiple instances of Pwireless definitely does not cause Profile loss.

After my fix for one minor issue (item 1) everything is now perfect. Works like a charm...

stiginge

#62 Post by stiginge »

This is not working for me. I'm running pwireless 0.8.4. When I start up the application I don't seem to get any networks whatsoever coming up in the pwireless networks tab. It may have something to do with my having 2 wireless internet commections (only 1 of which I am using); the other is sitting there. I have tried to down this one with another application but failed.

It also says on the pwireless gui (top left corner, beneath tabs), that wlan0 IP address is unknown, wlan1 (which I am using) 127.0.0.1

Update: I booted puppy and ran the app on another machine (which only has one wireless adapter) and it worked fine. So there seems to be a problem with machines that have more than one wireless adapter.

Additional issue: there also appears to be a conflict with network wizard; if you connect with pwireless, break that and connect with network wizard, the connection with network wizard will not transmit any data(even though the wizard and blinky tell me I'm connected). A functioning network connection can only be obtained by reverting back to pwireless to handle the connection process.

This has probably been mentioned before on this thread, but it would be useful if pwireless could recognise and display WAP (when appropriate) in the encryption column.

A second annoyance that I find is I don't know what network I am connected to! It would be great if blinky could be configured to display network E/BSSID, so that the user knows which network s/he is connected to. Just a suggestion. Or just have pwireless display it somewhere in GUI.
Buy silver, crash JPMorgan

T_Hobbit

#63 Post by T_Hobbit »

Does Pwireless handles PEAP/MSCHAP certificates?
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

bones01

#64 Post by bones01 »

I'm having some trouble understanding how things work. I don't use wireless at home, but have tried at my college without success on this setup.

If I use Pwireless, I can discover what is around, and do get an IP number, but cannot use the internet. At best, I do only get a reading of 25/70, and often less than that.

If I use the Connect or Network Wizard, these utilities either don't even find what Pwireless finds, and if it does, it still won't connect.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Bones01
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

coopsurv

question... regarding wag... maybe.

#65 Post by coopsurv »

being said... decided to learn abit about networking, IP's... blah.

so... stripped down pwireless-0.8.4... to make my learning curve less.

well...hmm... still not a wizard.

tryin' to solve current issue... rtl8187se pci-wireless... for ex... only.

pwireless... no... reports nothing... seems to be either a root or wag thing. same card using net-setup... good.

afterwords... pwireless detects and runs card... but only on given session... meaning rebooting requires re-running net-setup over...

tried abit of tinkerin' with iwconfig...etc.

from rxvt seems to be a permission thing... again no wizard in networking-101... that's what pwireless and like are for... right???

have seen this over the years with pwireless... meaning some cards simply don't work.

not a big thing... for my spoil of cleaning up pwireless for learning... resulted in alot faster pwireless... so I'm content... knowing no program can cover all possibles... yet wonderin' how it can work within same session under net-setup and not pwireless... less latter ran first... when other that wag/wpa scripting inside net-setup... nothing appears to trigger event... otherwords... workin' now.

only thing I could find seems to be a few /tmp/wag...docs/etc created by net-setup... but nothing within that would suggest... why it's now workin'...

either way... checked-out latest pwireless-2... yeap it'a solve this issue... but abit to bulky... due to such... meaning not size... memory usage... and definitely way above me for tinkerin'... being it consists of many scripts...