USB interface PCI cards

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
emma

USB interface PCI cards

#1 Post by emma »

Hi

I am using Puppy to rescue an old PIII machine, but as it's only got two USB 1.1 ports I am looking into buying a PCI card to add extra USB 2.0 ports. Are there any driver compatibility issues I need to think about? Any brands that specifically work or don't work?

Any info or recommendations would be much appreciated.

eccentric

usb pci card

#2 Post by eccentric »

Hello Emma, I have used this card to give me usb2 on an Intel mother board that only has usb 1.1. i do not know the name but the number is
S-6212B the main chip is a VIA Vt6212L it has 4 out puts at the rear
1 internal plus a row of5 pins. i have used this from puppy 1.4 onwards
with no problems. the chip is made in Taiwan google may help!!!!!.
Michael.
P.S they also use this chip for cards with less output sockets.

Sage

#3 Post by Sage »

Interesting question. Have cards with Opti Firelink 82C861 (2cards, one with a PCIBus Firewire chip as well) and another card with NEC D720100AGM. All are pulls from scrapped machines. Any comments would be appreciated.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

I've done what you propose, in two different machines with two different brands of USB2PCI card. They both worked in Puppy without any problems. I used the cheapest USB2PCI cards I could find at Fry's Electronics (about $15 if I remember right.) I don't remember the brands but one of the boxes had a picture of an F-16 airplane on it. Just throw away the installation CD that comes with the card if you're only going to use it with Puppy. :lol: (The CD has drivers needed for Win98.)
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]