Tecra/Protege stops booting at Xvesa and Xorg (SOLVED)

Please post any bugs you have found
Dougal

#16 Post by Dougal »

Rerwin, it's great that you're paying attention to this problem... I occationally entertain the idea of just removing the "Xvesa -listmodes" part from the xorgwizard, to solve this once and for all -- but in many cases you get more modes from it than from ddcprobe...

I didn't know it was just that one MagicGraph that causes the problem -- this way it's quite easy to make the workaround
Yes, it's not nice to make HW-specific code, but you can't help it, as there's all this defective HW! In some cases -- the modified pcmcia cards in Acer laptops and the fix Pakt posted is a good example -- you can solve it nicely, but in others...

Anyway, here's an improvement to your code:
(my version of the wizard is somewhat different to Barry's, so I'm just posting the relevant block.)

From the results of my HW-Test dotpup that people sent me, I noticed that there were some cases where ddcprobe gave more modes than Xvesa, so I figured: why no use both?
So what I do is use both ddcprobe and Xvesa -listmodes, and if the dubious HW is detected, just skip Xvesa...

Code: Select all

if [ -f /usr/X11R7/bin/Xvesa ];then #format of each line: 1024x768x16
 # Dougal: use both Xvesa and ddcprobe output to find modes
 ## Dougal: skip Xvesa for dubious Toshiba HW
 if ! grep -Fq 'oem: MagicGraph 256 AV 44K PRELIMINARY' /tmp/ddcprobe.txt;then
  Xvesa -listmodes 2>&1 | cut -f2 -d' ' | grep -E 'x16$|x24$' > /tmp/Xmodes.tmp
 fi
 grep '^mode:' /tmp/ddcprobe.txt | grep -E 'x64k|x16m'| cut -f2 -d' ' | sed -e 's/x64k/x16/g ; s/x16m/x24/g' >> /tmp/Xmodes.tmp
 sort --field-separator=x --numeric-sort /tmp/Xmodes.tmp | uniq >/tmp/Xmodes.txt
 rm -f /tmp/Xmodes.tmp
else
Sidenote: Xvesa is now bundled along with the Xorg source, so maybe this can actually be reported to Xorg as a bug and they'll fix it?
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

dalderton

#17 Post by dalderton »

Richard I tried those mods with no success.I cannot get the problem-adapters to stick in the /etc/X11 directory .I copy it there and check it but when I burn the remaster it is not there and when I try to boot the laptop it does the usual hang and all I can get is the xorgwizard then it hangs when I select xorg or Xvesa..Incidentally the keyboard box does not come up but I assume that because I chose dvorak when I booted to remaster and it assumes that it is the required keyboard.
Regards Dennis

adrian5750

#18 Post by adrian5750 »

HI All

I'm having the same symptoms that the op described on my Tosh Portege 7020 - gets as far as the 'probing video' bit and then hangs.

Unfortunately, I got 'lost' somewhere half-way down this thread - although my background is writing software (all the way from assembler upwards !) - I'm not up to speed with linux.....

So - in case it helps your project - can I test your video fix on this laptop, please... <g>

...but you'd need to give me some simple 'step-by-step' instructions on what to do with the file that you're offereing for download....

Many thanks
Adrian

rerwin

Thank you for your posts.

#19 Post by rerwin »

Wow! Lots of response today.

Thanks, Dougal, for jumping in here. I am all for your taking over the fix. But I do not see where your version ensures that the 1024x768 and 800x600 resolutions are added to ddcprobe.txt; maybe you accomplish the same thing another way. Right now, there is an entry for 1024x768 in the file but it is annotated with "8514", which gets filtered out and lost. And there is no 800x600 entry at all. So please be sure that is handled. My intent was to cause the needed options to be offered -- 800x600 for all if not already there, and 1024x768 for those identified by the "8514" 1024x768 entry.

It turns out there is another adapter that causes the same problem -- a Trident. So my second version uses "grep -f" and a file for all adapter names that need to skip Xvesa. You might consider using that technique to make it open-ended and to move the adapter-specific text from the script. It currently just searches for any match in the file; but I think it would be better to precede that with grepping on just "oem:" before checking specifics -- to protect against someone adding just any string in the ddcprobe output to get a match.

Dennis, sorry that my request is getting messier than we'd like. I have not tried remastering, so am not sure what is going wrong. But I can tell you how I got it in to test, using a flash drive to hold it. I will describe the process below, in more detail than you probably need, but so that it will also help Adrian to try the fix.

Adrian, first let's make sure your Portege has either of the two video adapters we have identified with the problem. When you boot up and Puppy hangs while "probing", press ctrl-c and then enter "ddcprobe" (w/o quotes). Verify that the output contains a line that starts with "oem:" and that it is either "oem: MagicGraph 256 AV 44K PRELIMINARY" or "oem:Trident CYBER 8820". If neither. please post it here.

Here is how I test the fix. On another system I extract the downloaded file to a USB flash drive, then move the drive to the laptop in question. Boot up (using Puppy 3.01) with pfix=ram and after it hangs on the probing press ctrl-c to get the prompt (or use pfix=ram,nox and it will stop at the prompt). Then do some command line stuff (assuming you're using the later version of the fix and the drive is /dev/sda1):

mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash
cd /mnt/flash
ls -l [to verify the files are there]
cp xorgwizard-tecra-trident /usr/sbin/xorgwizardx
cp problem-adapters /etc/X11/
chmod a+x /usr/sbin/xorgwizardx [may not be needed but won't hurt]
cd
umount /mnt/flash
xorgwizardx
. . .
xwin

(Do not enter the text above in the brackets ([. . .]).)

Assuming that works, shut down or reboot and make a pupsave file somewhere (HD, flash drive). Then boot with it next time to avoid the hassle.

Adrian, if your "oem:" line is different from the ones we know of, just copy that line from your ddcprobe output, appending it to the /etc/X11/problem-adapters file.

Richard

Dougal

Re: Thank you for your posts.

#20 Post by Dougal »

rerwin wrote:I do not see where your version ensures that the 1024x768 and 800x600 resolutions are added to ddcprobe.txt; maybe you accomplish the same thing another way. Right now, there is an entry for 1024x768 in the file but it is annotated with "8514", which gets filtered out and lost. And there is no 800x600 entry at all. So please be sure that is handled. My intent was to cause the needed options to be offered -- 800x600 for all if not already there, and 1024x768 for those identified by the "8514" 1024x768 entry.
Oh, I didn't try to ensure anything is added -- my idea was to just give what ddcprobe returns (which should contain the available resolutions...).
I wonder what that "8514" thing is... what is filtered out is usually "apple" and "mac" etc.

Thanks for mentioning the second adapter.
I think if you have one of the problematic machines, it might be worth your while trying to contact the Xorg people -- there is a chance the fix is trivial and it'll solve all this mess...
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

rerwin

#21 Post by rerwin »

The 8514 was an early IBM display type, which apparently was 1024x768. It is included in what you filter out, but is the only 1024x768 entry the problem adapters put out to ddcprobe. So the simple fix is to not filter it out.

But there is no 800x600 "timing:" entry from the MagicGraph adapter, even though one of the Porteges maxes at 800x600. So that needs to be added the way I did it. But there is another approach we might take.

My ThinkPad that has a similar adapter yields no "timing:" entries. The consequence seems to be that the wizard concludes it cannot determine the appropriate resolutions, so it presents a list of all possibilities. Maybe that is how we should handle the problem cases, instead of trying to fill in the gaps.

As far as contacting the Xorg/Xvesa developers, I have assumed that the Puppy regulars would have more clout with them than some stranger (me). You would certainly be able to speak with them more credibly.

(I am away from home so I can't get deeply into things this week. I can try the developers next week, if necessary.)

dalderton

#22 Post by dalderton »

Richard I worked out how to do the remaster properly,there is a /tmp/etc/ X11 that i had to put the problem-adapters in before burning the remastered CD.I did that successfully but it just hung as the original Puppy unleashed did after the flash of probe hardware.nothing then the probe hardware message and a cursor. I tried the various workarounds but nothing worked. I realise that you are away so I will keep an eye on this thread . My problem is solved but it would be nice if it happened as a matter of course from the original CD Thanks again Regards Dennis

Dougal

#23 Post by Dougal »

rerwin wrote:My ThinkPad that has a similar adapter yields no "timing:" entries. The consequence seems to be that the wizard concludes it cannot determine the appropriate resolutions, so it presents a list of all possibilities. Maybe that is how we should handle the problem cases, instead of trying to fill in the gaps.
You mean go for the "your screen could not be detected" dialog? It could be worth trying -- I'll have to look into it.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

DaveR

problem with Satellite 1800/1805

#24 Post by DaveR »

I have a similar problem.

After reading these posts I tried this:
F2 then choose C to boot from CD
command "puppy pfix=nox acpi=off"
(because allowing normal boot hangs system as below)
all OK to #_ prompt
(pen drive is sda1)
copied problem-adapters > /etc/X11
copied xorgwizard-tecra-trident > /usr/sbin
ran ddcprobe to get line "oem:Trident CYBER 8620"
added that to "problem-adapters"
ran xorgwizard-tecra-trident
one line of pink? text appears and disappears too rapidly to read
system hangs - [ctrl]c will NOT break out
[alt]f2 will not open text mode
[ctrl][alt]del will NOT break out
cycle power

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

rerwin

#25 Post by rerwin »

Sorry to hear dalderton and DaveR are having problems with the fix.

Dennis, since the wizard looks for the problem-adapters file in /etc/X11, you need to make sure it is there before you run the wizard. You can do that with your remaster by booting up to the "probing-hang", then pressing ctrl-c to get the prompt, then entering:
cp /tmp/etc/X11/problem-adapters /etc/X11/

Then run xorgwizard-tecra-trident (or whatever you might have renamed it to).

If it still doesn't work, try booting with pfix=ram,nox

Dave, thanks for trying this fix script. Your description sounds like you did what is needed. But verify that the problem-adapters file looks right following your addition of your Trident adapter. The new text must be on its own line, not an extension of an existing line. I expect the file to read (excluding the initial comment line):

Code: Select all

oem: MagicGraph 256 AV 44K PRELIMINARY
oem:Trident Cyber 8820
oem:Trident CYBER 8620
Be sure you typed it exactly as ddcprobe shows it, respecting case.

If it still doesn't work, and if you did an "enter" at the end of the last line of problem-adapters, try removing the line-feed by backspacing from the end of the file until the I-bar cursor follows the "8620" and is not on its own line.

BTW, When I get the hang, I always see the pink "probing" line, which then disappears and then reappears with the blinking cursor below it. When the fix works, I see a very brief display of a line I assume to be the initial "probing" line, then the "probing" line a bit longer, then the dialog for choosing a video mode. How much of that actually happens for you?

If you can, would you post the output from ddcprobe? At least the "timing:" lines. Thanks.

It is possible that the problem with your adapter is something else than the Xvesa call in the script. But let's be sure we have the fix correct before giving up.

youb

#26 Post by youb »

Hi,
I'm new here, and want to try Puppy Linux 3.01 on my Laptop : Toshiba Portege 3110ct with Trident Cyber9525DVD graphic adapter. The screen can show 8000x600 16bit max if I'm not mistaken. I'm using loadlin to run Linux from a win98 partition.

I have the same problem, and apparently the fix doesn't work (I think I'm doing all this correctly, I'm a newbie but followed the instructions...)
I also tried other proposed fixes on this forum with no luck.

I follow the instructions here, hit Ctrl+c to get to prompt, then copy the files and run the script. It shows the pink "probing" message, then hangs with a nice black screen... I tried copying the line from ddcprobe in the problem-adapter file with no success.

I noticed something strange when I run ddcprobe, it shows me :
vbe: VESA 2.0 detected
oem: Copyright 1997 TRIDENT MICROSYSTEMS INC. (the line I copied)
memory: 2560kb
mode: 640x480x16m
... lists other modes up to ...
mode: 640x480x256
Segmentation fault

This last line seems a bit funky to me... but i'm mot an expert.
Any help would be great ! I tried to give as much info here... please tell me if you need more.

Mat

dalderton

#27 Post by dalderton »

Richard I have no problem getting the program to run it was just that I was trying to make a CD that would load to my laptop as a normal Puppy CD does.I can modify it when it hangs after your original help but I was trying to make it automatic.So what I thought was that if I used your xorgwizard file and added the problem-adapters file to /etc/X11 the above automatic load would occur.This did not happen.However Puppy 3.0.1 is happily running on my hard drive in the laptop from your original fix for me. Regards Dennis

DaveR

Toshiba Satellite 1805-S203

#28 Post by DaveR »

Thanks for the quick come-back rewin.

This time I let 'mp' copy the line from the output of 'ddcprobe' and paste it into my new '/etc/X11/problem-adapters' file. I verified that there was no line feed at the end of the line.

ran 'xorgwizard-tecra-trident' - this time I could see that the pink text said something about probing video. After that line flashes on the screen it remains completely black without anything displayed. Same result as before - complete lock-up.

FYI there are at least 2 other threads involving the same problem - in the How To section (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=23050) and in the House Training Bugs section (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22873)

Here is the output from 'ddcprobe':
vbe: VESA 2.0 detected.
oem: Trident CYBER 8620
memory: 8192kb
mode: 1280x1024x64k
mode: 1280x1024x32k
mode: 1024x768x16m
mode: 1280x1024x256
mode: 640x480x16m
mode: 800x600x16m
mode: 1024x768x32k
mode: 1024x768x64k
mode: 800x600x32k
mode: 800x600x64k
mode: 640x480x32k
mode: 640x480x64k
mode: 1024x768x256
mode: 1280x1024x16
mode: 320x200x32k
mode: 320x200x64k
mode: 320x200x16m
mode: 640x400x256
mode: 640x480x256
mode: 800x600x256
mode: 1024x768x16
mode: 132x25 (text)
mode: 132x43 (text)
mode: 132x60 (text)
mode: 80x60 (text)
mode: 800x600x16
edid:
edid: 1 3
id: 5082
eisa: TOS5082
serial: 00000000
manufacture: 0 1990
input: analog signal.
screensize: 27 21
gamma: 1.000000
dpms: RGB, no active off, suspend, standby
timing: 720x400@70 Hz (VGA 640x400, IBM)
timing: 640x480@75 Hz (VESA)
timing: 800x600@72 Hz (VESA)
timing: 1024x768@87 Hz Interlaced (8514A)
ctiming: 1280x1024@60
ctiming: 1600x1200@60
dtiming: 1024x768@0
monitorname: TOSHIBA Inte
monitorname: rnal 1024x76
monitorname: 8 Panel

==================================

For what it's worth these are the relevant lines from Ubuntu 7.10's xorg.conf:
Section "Device"
Identifier "Trident Microsystems CyberBlade/i1"
Driver "trident"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Generic Monitor"
Option "DPMS"
HorizSync 28-51
VertRefresh 43-60
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "Trident Microsystems CyberBlade/i1"
Monitor "Generic Monitor"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 1
Modes "1024x768"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 4
Modes "1024x768"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 8
Modes "1024x768"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 15
Modes "1024x768"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1024x768"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768"
EndSubSection
EndSection

dalderton

#29 Post by dalderton »

Richard: I have got the problem organized. if I use your xorgwizard-tecra file with the modified if grep -q 'oem' line (479 ) and use it in the remastered cd after "chmod a+q xorgwizard-tecra" and burn it the cd then operates as you said it should i.e. gets to the pink probe line flashes then a pause then the line comes back momentarily then the choice of resolutions with 1024*768*16 highlighted and proceeds normally.Bingo
This means that the CD can be used on my Toshiba TE 2000 Laptop as a live CD or loaded to the hard disc without any glitches. I wonder if other laptops with similar problems can use this system without further modifications from that original fix.Is the problem-adapters file really necessary?Mine is fine without it and my trident bit is not mentioned on my xorgwizard. Anyway all is well with me Thank You Regards Dennis
EDIT This fix should work for DaveR as his adapter is apparently the same as mine D

DaveR

Satellite 1805S203

#30 Post by DaveR »

dalderton, thanks for thinking about my problem but I don't understand your post. Is the "if [..." line quoted below what you want me to modify? How should it read?

#For some Tecra (8000) and Portege laptops, avoid Xvesa hang by substituting an Xmodes list known to work; also enable 800x600 and 1024x768 by adding "timing: .. (VESA)" lines for them in the ddcprobe listing. #rerwin
if [ -f /etc/X11/problem-adapters ] && grep -q -f /etc/X11/problem-adapters /tmp/ddcprobe.txt;then
echo -e "640x480x16\n640x480x24\n800x600x16\n800x600x24\n1024x768x16\n1024x768x24" > /tmp/Xmodes.txt

Dave

rerwin

New version of fixed xorgwizard

#31 Post by rerwin »

Dennis & Dave, please do not proagate the workaround that gets Dennis' laptop to work; it is not appropriate for general use because all video adapters would be treated the same.

I am attaching a new version of the wizard that should fix everyone's problem that has been reported. Instead of trying to substitute for the failing Xvesa results, it is consistent with the current design that lets the user choose a video mode if the wizard cannot determine it. (That's how my ThinkPads are handled, even though they do not hang like the Tecras/Porteges.) The "problem-adapters" file is no longer used, so the "remaster mess" is avoided.

In addition to checking for specific adapters, it looks for segment faults and failure to find the needed info from ddcprobe; that should take care of Mat's case. For Dennis, I included two tests for the 8820 because the "oem:" is always followed by a space; Dennis, please check your ddcprobe output and tell me which format is correct (with or without the space).

Please, would each of you try the new version, xorgwizard2, and give me feedback. Thanks.

(After copying/extracting xorgwizard2 to /usr/sbin, rename it to xorgwizard to have it run during bootup. Otherwise, when bootup hangs, ctrl-c out of the hang and enter xorgwizard2, then xwin.)
Attachments
xorgwizard2.tar.gz
File contains both a normal version, xorgwizard2, and a debug version for troubleshooting, xorgwizard2d.
Expect to see a long list of possible video modes to choose from..
(32.5 KiB) Downloaded 960 times
Last edited by rerwin on Mon 19 Nov 2007, 16:39, edited 5 times in total.

DaveR

Satellite 1805 S203

#32 Post by DaveR »

rewin, before I forget it my "oem:" is followed by 1 space - oem: Trident CYBER 8620
I'll give the new wizard a try in a little while
Dave

DaveR

Satellite 1805 S203

#33 Post by DaveR »

Still no luck ;-(

edited the problem-adapters file to include my "oem: Trident CYBER 8620" line
boot from CD
command "puppy pfix=nox"
all OK to #_ prompt
plug-in pen drive then mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash
ls /mnt/flash
cp /mnt/flash/proble~2 /etc/X11/problem-adapters
cp /mnt/flash/xorgwi~2 /usr/sbin/xorgwizard2
ran xorgwizard2
"Puppy Video Wizard" window opens - choose Xorg - Enter
one line of pink text appears "Probing video hardware ..."
system hangs with empty black screen and no cursor - wait a minute
[ctrl]c will NOT break out
[ctrl][alt]del will NOT break out
cycle power to quit

youb

#34 Post by youb »

Thanks for your time on that problem... no luck either..
The new script his behaving the same on my laptop as on Dave's .
Pink "probing", then hangs with black screen.
Ctrl+Alt+Del produces a little reaction from my HDD activity led...

dalderton

#35 Post by dalderton »

Richard I tried it on mine and it did the same hang as the original xorgwizard. Regards Dennis