Online with QEMU Puppy ?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Whelp

Online with QEMU Puppy ?

#1 Post by Whelp »

(Sorry if I am repeating a question answered somewhere already, but my search in the forums did not turn up a thread about this topic. If any exist, please simply let me know.)

Currently playing around with QEMU Puppy which I would like to take along on an upcoming vacation, I still fail to understand how to go online, download mail, browse the internet etc. from within QEMU Puppy.
My assumption is that it uses the host PC's connection to the internet (via modem, cable or whatever), so the host has to be online.
But it seems there is some step in between, because my attempts to reach a website from within QEMU Puppy have failed, even when a browser on the host PC could at the same time display this page. :-(
Is there any setup I need to to though first ?

Thanks for your interest and help.

Bruce B

#2 Post by Bruce B »

It's in the command line. If the command line is right and the host computer is connected, all you have to do is run Puppy's connect wizard 1x.

So what are the requisite commands? Potentially there could be many, but this will do:

Code: Select all

-net user -net nic,model=rtl8139
IF and this is a BIG IF - if your host is Linux, which it probably is not. Regarding windows host, I don't know.

If the command line arguments I shared won't work, check your user manual at http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/qemu-doc.html section 3.7

Let me know, if how it goes okay?

Whelp

#3 Post by Whelp »

Bruce,

thank you for your help in this - the commandline parameters you recommended did indeed work: I am posting this message from QEMU Puppy 2.17.1, running under openSuSE 10.2 on my PC, which is connected to the net by analog modem using the "Bongosurfer" dialin program. :-)
So now I will again follow your excellent advice and take another close look at the manual to hopefully understand how to work this miracle under Windows OS, since that is what most machines I will have access to during my vacation will probably run (suffer under ? ;-)).
Keeping my fingers crossed ... ;-)