How to hide the booting process?

Booting, installing, newbie
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#31 Post by Flash »

Thanks, Pizza, it looks like you understood exactly what I meant.

Why couldn't it be just another boot-screen option, like the way Windows shows "press F8 for advanced troubleshooting options" when it starts to boot?

Puppy's boot screen might look something like:
In 10 seconds Puppy Linux will load automatically with previously stored settings. (Press "Enter" to skip the wait);

Press 2 to load Puppy Linux without using the hard drive (Puppy will need to be configured);

Press 9 for Puppy Linux to stop after each step of the booting process and wait until you press "Enter" before proceeding to the next step.
Or something like that.

Pizzasgood

#32 Post by Pizzasgood »

Well, I don't know if you can do it there easily, but I do know that if you found the init script that launced first, you could have a separate choice then. Also, that way you could side-step having to have a step option for harddrive and for livecd. I'd only give it a five second or less timeout, but I'm not very patient. Maybe it could just say "Press F8 for alternative boot options," then it could give you a menu with any fancy processes you come up with, from no messages to stepping.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#33 Post by Flash »

It's not just a matter of tinkering around with the isolinux.cfg file?

Pizzasgood

#34 Post by Pizzasgood »

I don't know how the isolinux.cfg file is interpreted into the scripts. I haven't looked into it, but my conception has been that it either passes variables to loadlin or the kernal or something, not the actuall scripts. But like I said, I don't know :wink:
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

gliezl

#35 Post by gliezl »

with or without boot message, i still love puppy. :)

babbs

#36 Post by babbs »

with or without boot message, i still love puppy.
Me too!