How to hide the booting process?

Booting, installing, newbie

How to hide the booting process?

#1 Post by Guest »

I want to ask that how to skip or hide the loading process while booting into puppy.
thanks!

Bruce B

Re: how to hide the booting process

#2 Post by Bruce B »

Anonymous wrote:I want to ask that how to skip or hide the loading process while booting into puppy.
thanks!
More info needed if you please:

How are you booting Puppy? For example, with cd disc, with grub on floppy, with tiny.exe, with lilo, with grub on mbr, etc.

#3 Post by Guest »

thank you for your mention
I use IDE adapter with CF card boot from IDE, I brun a CD that is include version 1.0.3 and follow the CD's instruction to do that.

Bruce B

#4 Post by Bruce B »

Anonymous wrote:thank you for your mention
I use IDE adapter with CF card boot from IDE, I brun a CD that is include version 1.0.3 and follow the CD's instruction to do that.
I'm trying to figure out brun is a typo, is so, does it mean 'burn' or 'run'. I'll go with 'run'.

If this is the case, not much you can do.

There are methods of creating your own custom CD and many Puppy users do so. This seems to me to be the most viable option, perhaps the only one.

Maybe other users have better suggestions, because I wasn't much help.

#5 Post by Guest »

Turn off your monitor and wait 5 minutes until puppy has fully booted to hide the boot process.

rarsa

#6 Post by rarsa »

Don't be so mean blade. ;)

I was going to recommend the same but only wait 2 minutes. :D

Although I've never booted from a CF card, maybe 5 minutes is accurate. My live CD takes 1 minute, my HDD installation takes 30 seconds.

An alternative is to turn on the computer and go prepare a sandwich and milk (Or hard liquor for some people). That will serve two purposes. You won't see the puppy boot instructions and you will have a more pleasant puppy experience.

You see... Linux is about choices, you can choose not to look at the screen.

babbs

#7 Post by babbs »

I'd like to ask the question too... Is there any way to hide the boot-up lines that flash up the screen? I can't read things going by that fast, why show them? Would the boot-up speed get any faster if the system was not worrying about displaying the progress? I know there isn't much that can be done about how long the OS takes to load into RAM, likewise about loading /home from a USB device, but are there any speed benefits by not printing the commands/results to the display? I actually think that this question can be looked at for reasons other than cosmetics. I do think that this data should be visable during the first boot (or during testing) in case there is a problem and the progress/error is shown, but if it works, why keep showing it if you don't have to?

rarsa

#8 Post by rarsa »

but are there any speed benefits by not printing the commands/results to the display?
Not showing it would be more expensive.

Pizzasgood

#9 Post by Pizzasgood »

Well, you could go into /etc/rc.d and go through the scripts there and just comment/delete any lines that say echo. That would get rid of much of it, and wouldn't insrease strain at all.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

babbs

#10 Post by babbs »

rarsa - If you say so, I'll take your word for it since I don't know one way or the other and I believe you know what you are talking about.

Pizzasgood - Interesting concept. Any idea how many lines that would be? Also, is this something we would really want to recommend to new Puppy users?

Since it doesn't appear that boot speed can be affected in this mannor... If commenting out lines in the rc.d would reduce the number of lines of code displayed during the boot process, maybe a simple boolean test of "is there a pup00x file?" If yes, and if the last shut down was clean, use the commented out rc.d; otherwise, use the normal rc.d file. Just rambling on here... I don't know what the answer is, could be, or should be... I'm just so glad that Puppy works!

#11 Post by Guest »

You wont get rid of the kernel messages without patching the kernel......But why do ppl get so hung up about boot messages ?

rarsa

#12 Post by rarsa »

Beats me. But don't take it personal Bladehunter, it's not you, it's them. :D

Pizzasgood

#13 Post by Pizzasgood »

From what I can tell, they seem to think displaying text as it starts is either "primitive" or "scary." I think text is cool, but I don't count because I'm weird. It's all the fault of WindowsXP. Everyone just assumes that if it is how Gates does it, it must be right. I think Gates is getting senile, but that's just me. :)

I have no idea how many lines that would be, but I guess you could write a script to find and remove them if you were ambitious enough. It shouldn't be too hard for a beginner. Look through a file, see echo, add a # to the beginning of the line. Procede to the next file. Reboot to have only limited text messages, and a dumbed down puppy :(
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#14 Post by Flash »

babbs wrote:...I can't read things going by that fast, why show them?
My complaint exactly!
babbs wrote:...I actually think that this question can be looked at for reasons other than cosmetics. I do think that this data should be visible during the first boot (or during testing) in case there is a problem and the progress/error is shown, but if it works, why keep showing it if you don't have to?
I agree. It would be nice if the boot screen had some practical use. For example, for troubleshooting purposes it would be great if one could step through the boot process. That is, the computer would wait after running each step of the boot process until the "Enter" key is hit to run the next step. Once that option exists, perhaps it wouldn't be too hard to add a checkbox that says "Do not show boot messages." :o

Bladehunter, how hard would it be to add the ability to single-step through the boot process?

rarsa

#15 Post by rarsa »

My complaint exactly!
Why complain? If it is just a few seconds, how does that affect your user experience.

I try to look at it from different angles and I really cannot see how text showing fast can affect someone.

If you don't want to read it, don't read it. If you cannot read it, don't try to read it.

I agree with bladehunter. There are many other more important things that need attention in Puppy.

Actually, I'm giving up, the effort given to these posts, can be better used in other tasks.

Pizzasgood

#16 Post by Pizzasgood »

And what difference does it make if the text isn't shown? It still takes just as long to boot, but at least this way you can tell what's going on, or at least that it's going on if it's too fast :)

The only problem I can see is if you have epillepsy.

But, hey, if you want it, do it! We aren't stopping you. Just like you aren't stopping me from doing whatever it is I feel like doing, even though it may seem pointless. Seriously, who cares if their computer screams out "Why do they always send the poor?!?!?" when it boots besides me? Nobody, that's who! So instead of asking Barry for a System of a Down Puppy, I make my own. Then I forget that I did that, and it scares my pants of when it boots!

FYI, the above is the eccentric raving of a sleep derived lunatic who ate too many cookies. Don't worry, though. I'll probably pass out in a couple minutes, and when I wake up at 7:00 am, I'll be well rested and ready to start planning Pizzapup! Good nigh........... *CLUNK* Ouch! Good night. *mumble grumble*

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#17 Post by Flash »

rarsa wrote:
My complaint exactly!
Why complain? If it is just a few seconds, how does that affect your user experience.
If the boot messages go by too fast to be read, why bother putting them there at all? My choice would be to keep the boot messages and add the ability to step through them. At least then they would be useful for troubleshooting.
Actually, I'm giving up, the effort given to these posts, can be better used in other tasks.
Suit yourself. I agree that there are any number of things that are more important. The boot messages don't bother me. All I ever meant to say was that if they aren't useful then why are they there?

PaulR

#18 Post by PaulR »

I know that is SuSe you can elect to see boot text messages or look at some other 'graphic' screen. IMHO Damn Small does a good job of it's boot screen.

Pizzasgood

#19 Post by Pizzasgood »

All I ever meant to say was that if they aren't useful then why are they there?
Actually, they can come in usefull. Picture this: Your computer is booting. It wizzes through messages, but then it comes to a screeching halt. Now those messages that were unreadable are there, allowing you to see where you froze at.

Sort of like the milemarkers on the highway. Normally they are useless, but when you crash and burn, you can tell where you're at.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#20 Post by Flash »

Pizza, that is presently the only use for the boot messages, as far as I can see. Do you think that being able to step through the boot messages one at a time would be a useful capability to add, for troubleshooting purposes?