Puppy 3.01 final bugs reports here

Please post any bugs you have found
bacillus

Bug in mp3 audio

#91 Post by bacillus »

Hi

When I open a mp3 file with the default audio player (is the xine) in puppy linux 3.01; I just listen the audio with problems, every second in the song is repeated five times (more or less) and sometimes the sound is mmm.... blocked.

I think the mp3 codec is wrong, how can I change this codec for another and... where find this?

So, I've configrated my audio card correctly coz I tested with a wav audio file and is ok.

Thanks for your answers
(sorry my english....)

perixx

#92 Post by perixx »

none

perixx

#93 Post by perixx »

Hi Leon,

I was using exactly the same settings as in Puppy 2.15 - even the same driver 'skge'(?) AND synchronous DSL and it doesn't work.

From the pings to my DNS servers and the modem's blinking I can tell that there's most probably a connection to the web, but it's not working properly. Although I haven't touched the firewall - does it need some basic attention to make internet work?

perixx

awesomerrr

#94 Post by awesomerrr »

kirk wrote:
One day I'm going to go through the init and shutdown scripts and convert everthing to ext3.
i've been wanting to copy my whole puppy ext2 partition over to a clean ext3 partition, but i'm unsure what i'd have to change....since you mentioned it, could anyone give me a heads up? i'm such a n00b it's gross...any help would be greatly appreciated

Leon

#95 Post by Leon »

perixx wrote:I was using exactly the same settings as in Puppy 2.15 - even the same driver 'skge'(?) AND synchronous DSL and it doesn't work.
As I mentioned in my previous post from my experience some RP settings have to be changed to get it work from one Puppy version to another.
perixx wrote:Although I haven't touched the firewall - does it need some basic attention to make internet work?
1.) It is highly recommended to run Linux-Firewall Wizard from Puppy menu before first starting your DSL Internet connection:

>Menu >Setup >Linux-Firewall Wizard >[automagic] OK >Enter

2.) I would suggest to try this RP settings in Puppy 3.01 and report results:

>Menu >Network >Roaring Penguin PPPoE ADSL

>New Connection

>Basic
Connection Name: ? (Enter your Internet provider name.)
User Name: ? (Enter your username.)
Password: ? (Enter your password.)

>NIC and DNS
Ethernet Interface: eth0
DNS Setup: Specify
Primary DNS: ???.???.???.??? (Enter DNS specified by your Internet provider.)
Secondary DNS: ???.???.???.??? (Enter DNS specified by your Internet provider.)

>Options
Allow use by non-root users: No
Use synchronous PPP: No
Firewalling: Stand-Alone

3.) Click 'Start' button to see if both internet connection indicators in RP-PPPoe become green and Blinky internet connection icon appears in systray.

Wosh

The ease is gone. Problems with Network/Sound drivers

#96 Post by Wosh »

Hi folks

Congratulations first for the new Puppy 3.01 which has several improvements compared to 2.17 that I used before. For example the language support for SeaMonkey works without problems and gxine displays some Windows based Videos better than before.

But there are some bugs that have cost me several hours to patch and except one of them I managed to solve them.

1. de2104x Network Driver

I am running Puppy on an older PC that needs the de2104x network driver. This driver behaves a little bit weird and only a real (Puppy?)-Linux-Driver-Guru may know the reason.

If it is loaded at bootup it doesn't work at all. But it works if it is unloaded and reloaded manually after bootup.
So in 2.17 I used to blacklist de2104x within the Boot-Manager and I added the following lines to /etc/rc.d/rc.local which also do auto-DHCP:

modprobe --remove de2104x
modprobe de2104x

INTERFACE=eth0
#i'll tackle Puppy plugged into a network with a dhcp
#server, so we need to be assigned an ip address...
echo "Trying to get IP address from DHCP server (60sec timeout)..."
rm /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-${INTERFACE}.* 2>/dev/null #if left over from last session, causes trouble.
dhcpcd ${INTERFACE}
if [ ! $? -eq 0 ];then #=0 success
echo "FAILURE!"
ifconfig ${INTERFACE} down
INTERFACEFAIL=1
else
echo "SUCCESS! nameservers written to /etc/resolv.conf, and"
echo "Assigned IP address written to /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-${INTERFACE}.cache"
echo "Connection information in /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-${INTERFACE}.info"
echo "DHCP client daemon now running"
#note, /etc/yp.conf and /etc/ntp.conf also created.
fi

Puppy 2.17 at least detects the driver automatically at boot up but Puppy 3.01 doesn't even load this driver from the drivers list within the Network-Wizard. The loading always fails. After some comparisions with 2.17 I found the driver there:

/lib/modules/2.6.xx.x/modules/kernel/drivers/net/de2104x.ko

and copied it to the corresponding directory in 3.01. Now the Network-Wizard was able to load it.
After rebooting and running my rc.local script the network sometimes worked and sometimes not. After some investigations I found out that this strange behavior is due to the new network backgrounding at boot up. So the simple command

sleep 3

before the first modprobe in rc.local ensures that the network backgrounding is finished before the module is loaded again.

With these patches even this weird driver is running. But my question is:

How is a network driver autodetected at Puppy boot-up and why de2104x is not detected any more?

2. SeaMonkey fonts to big
With my used resolution of 1024*768 the fonts of SeaMonkey Navigator and mail are much to big compared to other applications.
But this problem is easy to solve within:

/root/.mozilla/default/r3y1skkw.slt/chrome/userChrome.css

Setting the font size to 9 where Barry experimented with 12 lead to reasonable results:

/*BK*/
* {
font-size: 9pt !important;
font-family: DejaVu Sans !important;
}

3. snd-via82xx Sound Driver
I was rather astonished that the sound on my PC does not work any more with 3.01 because I never had sound problems on several different PCs with Puppy. Comparisions with 2.17 led me to:

/lib/modules/2.6.xx.x/modules/kernel/sound/snd_via82xx.ko

But copying it to the corresponding directory did not bring success.
After running the ALSA wizard the sound card wss detected but the loading of the driver failed. Running dmesg brought a list of errors of the following kind:

snd_via82xx: Unknown symbol snd_ac97_set_rate
snd_via82xx: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_format_physical_width
snd_via82xx: Unknown symbol snd_ac97_update_bits
snd_via82xx: Unknown symbol snd_ac97_mixer
snd_via82xx: Unknown symbol snd_ac97_bus
snd_via82xx: Unknown symbol snd_ctl_find_id
snd_via82xx: Unknown symbol snd_verbose_printk
and so on.

So I assumed maybe the driver doesn't fit with the Kernel. So I downloaded the ALSA drivers package from the ALSA homepage compiled it with the devx_301.sfs Compiler package and kernel-src_301.sfs and ran "make install". But the problem still persisted.

I am not a Linux drivers expert at all but I hope the problem is easy to fix. So my question is:

Why is this driver not detected any more at Puppy boot-up and how can I fix this last real problem?

Cheers

Wosh

jameson737

more bugs

#97 Post by jameson737 »

If if play mp3 and keep maximize and minimize the seamonkey when browsing the internet the gxine player crash and cannot be open again unless i restart by control-alt-backspace.

Wosh

One more bug

#98 Post by Wosh »

Hi folks

The easiest way to exchange data between two Puppy-PCs is to use a ftp-connection as described in:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=2163

So I wanted to update data via ftp from my other PC running Puppy 2.17 to my Home-PC running Puppy 3.01. But entering the command

adduser -h / top

generates the following error messages:

adduser: /: File exists
passwd: unknown user top

Running the command in 2.17 works.

After updating
/etc/passwd
/etc/shadow
/etc/shadow-
with the user top generated in Puppy 2.17 I was able to establish my ftp-connection.

My question:
Is this a restriction in a new version of busybox and If yes how can I add users with Puppy 3.01?

Cheers

Wosh

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#99 Post by Béèm »

When a song is playing or a video in Gxine and I change the window size, Gxine freezes displaying half of the window only and I have to kill the Gxine process.

Didn't had that in previous releases.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Philh

#100 Post by Philh »

Hi Wosh
Theres a new tinylogin here
http://puppylinux.ca/bugs/
tinylogin-1.4 - replaces the busybox login in puppy, fixes pureftp adduser problem.

perixx

#101 Post by perixx »

Hi Leon....

I'm pretty sure that I've used exactly the same settings as you did - apaprt from non-using synchronous DSL... I'm not sure about THAT one and will try - though I'm not quite convinced by this.

Right now, I'm struggling to revive my Puppy 2.15's X-server that I've all wrecked by 'upgrading' to Xorg 7.2 - now all I get when trying to run graphical apps is this:
'libxcb-xlib.so.0' cannot be found or some such thing. Just for the sake of curiosity - I'd like to have that fixed instead of a fresh install...

perixx

pdrito

Puppy 3.01

#102 Post by pdrito »

Same as Béèm here:

Gxine freezes on movies. :cry: :cry:

pdrito.

#103 Post by 106498 »

First of all congratulations puppy 3.01 finally got me using linux fulltime!

My problem is the same as a few others already posted. When I play mp3s in gxine if I resize windows and stuff like that it freezes completely and won't restart until I restart X server.

Is this a gxine bug or a puppy bug?

Marv

alphanumeric WEP key minor problem

#104 Post by Marv »

Running NOP 3.01, a lively and very capable pup. In 3.01, and I believe as far back as 2.16, if a 13 character ALPHANUMERIC WEP key is used, the wireless wizard omits s: before the key in the /etc/wlan0wireless file it creates. ie
iwconfig wlan0 key open 123456abcdefg is written
iwconfig wlan0 key open s:123456abcdefg should be

Doesn't matter if a straight numeric key is used, as the s: isn't required, and is easily edited once you know.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#105 Post by Béèm »

It was there before and detection was done at boot time and at least the ohci1394 and ieee1394 modules were loaded.
The eth1394 had to be loaded by hand then.

Now only the ohci1394, ieee1394 and eth1394 are there not the other xxx1394 (like dv1394) and none are loaded at boot.

Looks like a regression in this area.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Marv

#106 Post by Marv »

In 3.01 and 3.01 NOP, a universal installer install either directly to ideflash or to USB for transfer to ideflash results in PUPMODE 12 in /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE and the Pupsave file is mounted directly to the top layer.

Is this a bug which renders 3.01 useless for flash installations or is it an intentional change?

My concern is writing overly often to the flash so it's back to 2.16 for now.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

wingruntled

#107 Post by wingruntled »

I think I found a bug in the set-time-for-puppy app. After setting the time and clicking OK the screen goes black for a few seconds and "after" it return there is a window saying "Your screen might turn black now for some seconds, just wait..."
I,m not a programmer but it seems to me that the below two lines should be reversed in this app.
date $DT
Xdialog --title "info" --msgbox "Your screen might turn black now for some seconds, just wait..." 0 0

perixx

#108 Post by perixx »

Hello again, Leon!

I have set up Puppy 3.01 on my HDD now; the problem with non-functional internet access remains persistent, though!

Although I've doublechecked and set everything as you said - also manually eth0 - I only can start the ppp0 connection on eth0 with Roaring Penguin (Blinky shows 2 green signals), but I CAN'T access any internet sites with mozilla! I even automagically set the firewall.

'chap- and pap-secrets' are set correctly, as are the DNS-servers. Ifconfig will show a seemingly working network, eth0 and ppp0 are looking good from what I can judge. BUT I cannot ping the DNS-servers, not even the localhost 127.0.0.1 in the console!

perixx

Leon

#109 Post by Leon »

perixx wrote: Although I've doublechecked and set everything as you said - also manually eth0 - I only can start the ppp0 connection on eth0 with Roaring Penguin (Blinky shows 2 green signals), but I CAN'T access any internet sites with mozilla! I even automagically set the firewall.
Maybe I can give you some advise if you copy a contents of your

/root/.etc/ppp/rp-pppoe-gui/conf.(your_connection_name)

file and paste it here.

You can delete the 4th line in your post or change it to:

USER=XXXXX

perixx

#110 Post by perixx »

Leon,

currently I'm working in Xubuntu; do you know how to mount the pup_save.2fs - or is the questionable file in within the pup_301.sfs..?
Sorry for the inconvenience...

perixx