Puppy 3.01 final bugs reports here

Please post any bugs you have found
panda_watch

#61 Post by panda_watch »

G-day,

I'm having trouble with XOrg in both Puppy 3.00 and 3.01. In previous versions of puppy I have run the wizard and used a screen resolution of 1024x768. Now when I run the wizard this option does come up but when I choose it and launch into puppy the screen resolution drops back to, I think it said in the test, 832x624. However, when I check xorg.conf it has "1024x768" in the modes. The monitor is an old Acer V551 (which has had no problem with 1024x768 in the past) and graphics chip is basic i810 intel controller (I think exact specs are 82810E DC-133 CGC). Not sure if its a bug but any help would be greatly appreciated as anything short of 1024x768 is unbearable.

Cheers

PopeyeSolovino

#62 Post by PopeyeSolovino »

I've upgraded from 2.17,
but my root password is not valid =S.

The installation changed the pass?

Thanks.

EDIT-> The word "woofwoof" worked.

disciple

#63 Post by disciple »

panda_watch - you don't have an xorg.conf in /root/ by any chance? Because that would override the system one.

bite

#64 Post by bite »

Im having an issue with the width of the screen (images too wide). Otherwise its running beautiful now with the printing.

panda_watch

#65 Post by panda_watch »

disciple - there's no xorg.conf in /root. It goes to 832x624 even when using the test button in xorgwizard for 1024x768. Thanks for the reply! :)

fudgy

#66 Post by fudgy »

kirk wrote:Booted up 301 this morning, stopped on loading the pup_save file again for about 2 minutes. Guess it's not just the first boot. The hard drive is busy doing something for 2 minutes. Maybe it is doing a fsck, but 2 minutes seems very long for that. Unless it's fscking more that just the pup_save file.
---> i have exactly the same problem. Boot hangs for 2-3 minutes with a busy disk. Not on every boot, not reproducable. And its not a SATA thing, my disk is IDE.

If it is a fs-check, it checks the wrong partition... my layout is:
hda1 [ntfs, pup213] , hda2 [ext3, pup200, pup301 in subdir] hda3 [swap].

- fudgy

bite

#67 Post by bite »

I just need control of my screen width which is stretched like madonnas lust jelly :?

yorkiesnorkie

Slightly Confusing Upgrade

#68 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

Hi All,

I performed an upgrade from 2.17 to 3.01 on the weekend. I use the option 2 full install Puppy to an ext2 partition. I also have Windows 98 SE on the primary partition since I occasionally use it. My laptops an IBM 380 XD with 96 mb of ram, 800 x 600 display, 4 gb hd, 233 mhz processor with mmx.

The upgrade did not go entirely smoothly. The first time I tried to boot from the cd the process halted at:

Loading personal storage file /boot/pup_save-301.2fsthe pupsave

I tried rebooting a second time and this time the live CD worked so I went through the usual process of configuring the keyboard, display etc. No problems there. Puppy's JWM desktop launched.

I ran the universal installer and accepted the defaults for the installation to the ext2 partition, and chose upgrade. I made the decision to re-install grub in case there was something new there. Grub was re-installed, and the entry made in the MBR, but the the entry I had for Windows in the menu.lst file was now changed to DOS. The details of the grub entry for DOS did not point to the same hd.

Puppy would then boot, but the entry for DOS simply resulted in the hd not found error. Windows would not launch. I rebooted from the live cd, and used pmount to access my ext2 partition. I found in the boot folder a new menu.lst file and one labeled as the previous version. Thanks! I opened them both with the text editor. I commented out the DOS entry in the menu.lst file putting # characters in front of the lines and copied the old windows entry in from the archived file. I saved the file, and shut down puppy running on the live CD.

On reboot I popped out the live cd so that grub would start up. The entry for Windows was back, (cool) and on choosing it I was able to boot into Windows if I wanted.

I was a little puzzled why the grub entry was changed, well didn't recognize the windows partition. I realize I was thinking "upgrade" however the thought occurs to me, do I even need to re-install grub if its already there?

If this had happened to me the first time I tried an upgrade and apparently lost my windows partition I might have been at a loss how to fix it. I know enough now about grub to realize that it just wasn't looking in the right place for windows, however if I came across this as a first timer I'd be lost from the get go.

What worked, pmount, the text editor, Seamonkey, my internet dialup settings were preserved, the desktop was the same one I left in 217 before the upgrade, all my files were still there, etc. I haven't broken anything else yet! :-)

On launching Seamonkey it took me to the Seamonkey website and informed me there's an upgrade for linux available. Should we install that?

Greg
:-)

KJ

#69 Post by KJ »

301 works great until I use the network wizard to set up my wifi using ndiswrapper. I use the same USB Zyxel (M202 and G202) drivers (two different boxes) that work with 214 and 216 and did not work in 217 and now 301. The drivers seen to load and then the systems CPUs go into overload and the system slows to the point that the mouse pointer will move only about every 10 seconds. Shutdown and reboot ends up with the same unusable condition. MD5 for 301 checks good. Wipe files and reload with same result. Am running from CD with puppy_save and 1 GB swap. Am still running 214 and 216. Any thoughts?

KJ

Pizzasgood

#70 Post by Pizzasgood »

There is a typo on line 871 of the init script:

Code: Select all

rm -rf $OLDFILEMNTPT/tmp/*
should be

rm -rf $OLDFILESMNTPT/tmp/*
That has the unfortunate effect of causing /tmp to be cleaned out rather than /pup_rw/tmp, since the misspelled variable hasn't been set anywhere. Aside from possibly deleting important stuff (/tmp/pebble-pipe in my case), that might impair upgrade attempts.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

ecomoney

Hang on loading pup_save.2fs

#71 Post by ecomoney »

Hi, I can confirm the bug in the loading of the pup_save.2fs at boot as reported by kirk and fudgey, this causes a delay of around 5 minutes. I dont have (much of) a choice when it comes to remaking the pup_save.2fs file as it is an upgraded version of ecopup, which represents many hours work. Any idea what is causing this bug?

Also I notice that the sound will not work after the upgrade from 3.01 to 3.02 (I have an ac97 onboard sound). The alsa wizard comes up with strange entries (including something to do with apple and usb?) but does detect my soundcard. Trying to run xmms brings up a message about my soundcard being correctly configured.

As well as this, there doesnt seem to be a "chat" icon on the desktop anymore. IMHO there needs to be separate icons for normal chat (msn,icq, irc etc) and "live help" via the puppy chatroom (a great idea, but not if it interferes with peoples ability to tell windows users about puppy on msn!!!).
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

jcoder24

#72 Post by jcoder24 »

kirk wrote:No, the fsck repairs are because the 2.x/3.x puppies can't quite unmount the file system at shutdown, unless there's something new going on. The file system seems to always be busy, probably because it's part of the / union. You might not have noticed it until the last few versions because of the switch from ext3 to ext2. Ext3 repairs it self any time it's mounted, with out comment.
Why did we change from ext3 again?

I can understand the fsck on the save file but why also the partition that it is saved on eg /dev/hda3. How does this affect pendrive in terms of lifetime (for non full installs - i assume full installs don't have this problem)? As I see it, repairing the filesystem is equivalent to writing to the drive which means >= one less life each time you boot puppy.

I'm hoping there is a better solution.

ecomoney

#73 Post by ecomoney »

@jcoder, apparently its slightly faster?

Have just been trying to use gxine, it has problems with crashing, especially when playing .wmv's and the "media" links (BBC radio 1 website plays fine, but not most of the others).
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

kirk

#74 Post by kirk »

Why did we change from ext3 again?
I haven't saw any good reason for it.

I was using 2.17 the other day and the power went out. Had to boot up ram only and fsck my pup_save to get it to boot again. One day I'm going to go through the init and shutdown scripts and convert everthing to ext3.

Here's a fsck i did on my ext3 partition a couple months ago:

# e2fsck /dev/sda4
e2fsck 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
/dev/sda4 has been mounted 321 times without being checked, check forced.
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information
/dev/sda4: 89516/1938272 files (3.9% non-contiguous), 2322368/3899392 blocks
#
As you can see fsck had nothing to repair, and I crash that partition A LOT. Ext3 is great.

Sage

#75 Post by Sage »

All that was discussed extensively on Barry's Developers' News blog. He made his decision.
Never had an issue with ext2, myself. Remarkable in view of the shallowness of my knowledge about the subject.....

PaulBx1

#76 Post by PaulBx1 »

Inevitably, someone is going to be unhappy, whatever default we use for the file system. Fortunately puppy works with either (still true, right?) and you can change over with this if you like:

http://www.puppyos.net/forum/?1170535852

ecomoney

Seamonkey wont start second instance from icon

#77 Post by ecomoney »

Hi, another bug ive found, if I start seamonkey, then minimise it and click on the seamonkey desktop icon, nothing happens (another seamonkey instance should startup). If I already have seamonkey running and open another instance from start>internet>seamonkey web browser then a new instance starts ok.

MU

#78 Post by MU »

jwm:
fixmenus removes the line that includes the theme in jwmrc.

here is a modified fixmenus, that keeps it, I just had to add 2 lines:

#!/bin/sh
#v2.14 Puppy now has XDG menus.
#this script builds the menus from template files.
#Any templates can be placed into /etc/xdg/templates, and the file must be
#named to show its final destination. For example, the template for JWM:
# _root_.jwmrc
#...the '_' will be converted to a '/', so the generated JWM config file is:
# /root/.jwmrc

#-- patch by MU
theme=`grep '<Include>/root/.jwm/themes' /root/.jwmrc`

TEMPLATES="`ls -1 /etc/xdg/templates | tr '\n' ' '`"

for ONETPL in $TEMPLATES
do
 [ "$ONETPL" = "README.txt" ] && continue
 ONEDEST="`echo -n "$ONETPL" | sed -e 's/_/\//g'`"
 ONESRC="/etc/xdg/templates/$ONETPL"
 echo "Generating $ONEDEST..."

[ -f $ONEDEST ] && mv -f $ONEDEST ${ONEDEST}-previous

cat $ONESRC |
 while read ONELINE
 do
  EXECMENU="`echo -n "$ONELINE" | grep -o 'PUPPYMENU.*' | cut -f 2-5 -d ' '`"
  if [ "$EXECMENU" = "" ];then
   echo "$ONELINE" >> $ONEDEST
  else
   ${EXECMENU} >> ${ONEDEST}
  fi
 done

done

#-- patch by MU
sed -i -e "s#</JWM>#$theme\n</JWM>#" /root/.jwmrc

###END###

mamas6667

#79 Post by mamas6667 »

I'm using 3.01 final, frugal install btw

Having same problem as Leon

Quote:
At X start 'ModeLine' settings from xorg.conf written by Xvidtune are ingnored. That was not the case with Puppy 2.17.1

it worked in 2.16 too
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also when I install these pups

xfce-4.2.3.2-base.pup
jwm2xfce-menu.pup
xfce4-menueditor.pup

Restart / Shutdown can't be selected, Logout works, saving session also works on Logout

willhunt

nitpik'n

#80 Post by willhunt »

the files in /usr/share/applications/*.desktop do not have the
full path to the icon file nor do they reflect the choices on the
pinboard

this is a drawback because it causes the icons not to show up.
The files could be used as desktop shortcuts otherwise.
Hi, another bug ive found, if I start seamonkey, then minimise it and click on the seamonkey desktop icon, nothing happens (another seamonkey instance should startup). If I already have seamonkey running and open another instance from start>internet>seamonkey web browser then a new instance starts ok.
I thought this was a feature as I had to set the runonce option in winopts
file to accomplish this in icewm in other puppy releases
also does anyone elses get a bunch of error's fron ldconfig -v
ldconfig: Path `/lib' given more than once
ldconfig: Path `/usr/lib' given more than once
ldconfig: Cannot stat /usr/lib/libXm.so: No such file or directory
ldconfig: Cannot stat /usr/lib/libaspell.so: No such file or directory
ldconfig: Cannot stat /usr/lib/libgnt.so: No such file or directory
ldconfig: Cannot stat /usr/lib/libpspell.so: No such file or directory
ldconfig: Cannot stat /usr/lib/libpurple-client.so: No such file or directory
ldconfig: Cannot stat /usr/lib/libpurple.so: No such file or directory
ldconfig: Cannot stat /usr/lib/libwv2.so: No such file or directory
ldconfig: Cannot stat /usr/X11R7/lib/libz.so: No such file or directory

also I have noticed that since the change of the puppy mixer it writes constantly to the temp folder
Last edited by willhunt on Tue 06 Nov 2007, 13:14, edited 2 times in total.
[url=http://hostfile.org/icepak.pet]176 Icewm Themes :!:[/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/39fl3x]vlc-0.8.6c-i586.pet[/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/2q7cbp]vlc-0.8.6c-i586.pet[/url]