Puppy 3.01 final bugs reports here

Please post any bugs you have found
Pizzasgood

#151 Post by Pizzasgood »

Actually, if I remember right it's the parsing that's the problem. The xorgwizard runs Xorg -configure to generate an xorg.conf file, which Puppy then hacks apart based on what you choose in the wizard. I don't remember for sure, but I think when I ran that by hand and analyzed its output (/root/xorg.conf.new) it did have the extra screen section. I'd check it, but you can't run that command while X is going and I have important stuff running right now so restarting X isn't an option.

Anyways, if I'm right then Puppy puts in the serverlayout section without really looking at it, but only grabs a single monitor section. To fix it would probably be pretty simple. Just have it check the serverlayout section to see if there are multiple screens, then modify it a little to handle extra screens (don't just limit to two either, count the number in serverlayout).
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

RobertB

#152 Post by RobertB »

Back to an old issue that doesn't seem to be resolved... after adding memory to my PC, the problem I was having with applications not coming up seemed to go away. But just now, the system froze up (as old boxes sometimes do), requiring a hard shutdown. When I brought Puppy back up, it was back to the bad times -- over a minute for Opera to come up. This time I thought to run Top, and it showed that Opera was never using more than 8.5% of CPU.

But that's enough for me -- I'm going to do a 2.17 frugal install, and see what I can learn about copying files from one installation to another. And I think I'll pay more attention to the suggestion that a frugal install is more flexible than a full HD install, like I've currently got.

maddox

Pet memory management

#153 Post by maddox »

I've had probs decompressing pet's, no room left to decompress..
you have xxx blocks left and the pet needs xxxx blocks to decompress install..
There's enough displayed room left, seemingly,
but the ram has reached it's pre-determined safe limit
and Flushing the RAM, pup-save, has it's unionfs limits.

I know there are patches to (fix) that issue, but it doesn't cure it.
What about putting in the real file-size in the pet, as a variable
so the pet, petget manager could check if it could decompress and install ?

Dingo

#154 Post by Dingo »

as written here

I have looked a very strange behaviour with upload. many times, uploading on youtube, connection is lost and i must reboot to have a new working connection and, finally, i must reboot again and turning on windows for upload to youtube

these problems affects all browser i have tried: seamonkey, firefox, opera, elinks, netsurf and dillo. may be a puppy problem?
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

Wolf Pup

#155 Post by Wolf Pup »

If anyone is having problems with X hanging on boot and then droping to a command line, try this:

Code: Select all

# Fix X hanging on some boots
/bin/rm /tmp/.X*-lock >> /tmp/xerrs.log 2>&1
it should be added to:
/usr/X11R7/bin/xwin

[ -z $DISPLAY ] || exit #v2.11 from GuestToo.
echo "This script will run X windows for you..."

# Fix X hanging on some boots
/bin/rm /tmp/.X*-lock >> /tmp/xerrs.log 2>&1
save then reboot.
[img]http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8595/ubd6467dp2.png[/img]
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/54tu74]Visit The Repository[/url] - Helpful and hard-to-find treats for Puppy 3.
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/c5a68f]Click Here for Puppy Support Chat, + Helpful Links.[/url]

r__hughes

<SOLVED> Freememory box Help gives http error

#156 Post by r__hughes »

In my pup301 everything seems to work fine except this -

clicking on the blue freememory box at the bottom-right of desktop gives 3 choices

The 2nd & 3rd options (partview & KP0) work fine but the first (Help) doesnt - it brings up a Netsurf error - unable to display this 'http' page the /usr/share/doc/freememapplet.htm should apparently be accessed as

file:///usr/share/doc/freememapplet.htm
- not as a http

Anybody else have this problem?

Anybody know of a quickfix for changing the /usr/sbin/freememapplet binary file to fix this (via a hexeditor) or failing this some kind of tricky indirect linking?
-----------------------------------------
edited 25FEB08
SOLVED - see trapster below
I changed my /usr/local/bin/defaulthtmlviewer" to this:
#!/bin/sh
exec netsurf "file://$@"
Last edited by r__hughes on Mon 25 Feb 2008, 22:14, edited 1 time in total.
--- quad booting Slacko57NPAE, Slacko56NPAE, Slacko55PAE (with OO4, devx, Gimp) & WXP on DELL Dimension 2400 PC & DELL Latitude 630 Laptop using grub.
---USB-Flash booting same on Samsung N110 WXP Netbook and Lenovo q100 WXP netPC.

Dingo

#157 Post by Dingo »

Occasionally, from time to time, it happens when I open a program (eg gftp) leaves me a message no space left on device. I then replaced the file pup_save with a backup and can immediately resume using puppy, but this thing is boring. why this happens? I'm puppy 3.01. The 3.02 will correct these problems?
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

trapster

#158 Post by trapster »

The 2nd & 3rd options (partview & KP0) work fine but the first (Help) doesnt - it brings up a Netsurf error - unable to display this 'http' page the /usr/share/doc/freememapplet.htm should apparently be accessed as
Code:
file:///usr/share/doc/freememapplet.htm
- not as a http

Anybody else have this problem?

#!/bin/sh
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

r__hughes

#159 Post by r__hughes »

Thank you Trapster your suggestion

#!/bin/sh
solved the problem - much obliged :)
--- quad booting Slacko57NPAE, Slacko56NPAE, Slacko55PAE (with OO4, devx, Gimp) & WXP on DELL Dimension 2400 PC & DELL Latitude 630 Laptop using grub.
---USB-Flash booting same on Samsung N110 WXP Netbook and Lenovo q100 WXP netPC.

crabbypup

#160 Post by crabbypup »

hey, does anyone want to do a full bugfix for 3.01? and possibly post the iso? it would be very helpful. thanks. (i found that 3.01 had alot of bugs, so i have moved to TEENpup)
my avatar is what happens when you run windoze.

PaulBx1

#161 Post by PaulBx1 »

I've had probs decompressing pet's, no room left to decompress..
I think a lot of these problems are because of the tiny ram-based /tmp directory; you simply run out of room. See pages 3 and 4 of this thread:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 6&start=45

The solution Mark figured out was to quit X, create a /tmp directory somewhere on the hard drive (in my case, because I wanted to retain security, in my encrypted pup_save in /root/tmp) and mount it to the existing ram-based /tmp.

The only question I have on that is whether the ram based one is used up first before resorting to the added (slower) disk-based one. That would be ideal...

Of course this needs to be handled in the boot script for a permanent solution.

growler

Bugs list 3.01 - Gxine, Internet sharing/firewall on boot up

#162 Post by growler »

I am a relatively recent convert having played with 2.16 the 2.17 now having 3.01 installed on 2 computers at different locations - using frugal installs to a hard drive on both machines. I thought to give back my experiences in the interests of improving the quality - some or all of these may already have been reported - they are all relatively minor issues in my view and hope they are not received as criticism - or me living up to my user name! Only a humble tester reporting the issues observed:

Machine 1 - is connected to a cable modem through eth4 and has a local network on eth1 - I wanted to have the firewall start up on boot - both eth4 and eth1 are static IP addresses. However, the firewall will not start since puppy is kicking off the network interfaces and the firewall start script fails. Once the network interfaces are up I can start the firewall ok and then internet sharing over eth1 can commence but only after a manual start.

Gxine - is flaky and freezes and locks up most of the time - its useless really - I don't use puppy as a media player machine (fortunately).

Barry asked for feeback on the viewer versus editor - me thinks most newbies would be wanting to view photos rather than edit in mpaint. However, GTKSee is a shocker - it freezes when you open a picture then try to take it full screen - there is no option to open pictures that scale to the window. GQview that installed from the PET is much better - I have changed my defaults. I've not checked out Fotox.

Machine 2 uses DHCP to connect to an ADSL router - but this crashes the machine on boot up with errors around the unionfs - I can report back in more detail if it is required. I have to unplug the network cable - boot up then run the network wizard to refresh the DHCP lease.

My wife is a double clicker and Sea-monkey complains and brings up the profile manager - which confuses her when she just wants to look up trademe. An option to allow double clickers might be nice.

Pizzasgood

#163 Post by Pizzasgood »

An option to allow double clickers might be nice.
Right-click a desktop icon. Go to "Options" (or maybe it's "Rox-Filer -> Options"). Now go into the "Pinboard" section and uncheck the "Single-click to open" box. Next, go to the "Filer windows" section and uncheck the "Single-click navigation" box. Finally, click "OK".
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Sage

#164 Post by Sage »

Neat trick, Wolf Pup. How do you do it? But you couldn't detect my BSD system - it just says 'Your IP is using Mozilla/Netscape5".
Maybe a little more work to do?!

crabbypup

#165 Post by crabbypup »

and you could't detect the difference between rogers cable and rogers mobile isp's :D . also, it probably doesn't distinguish between different puppy microdistro's such as teenpup or pizzapup (haven't tried, but there is another one similar to yours out there and it only says 'linux' for anything but mac and windoze) and it probably doesn't recognize Ecommstation versus os/2. but whatever. that is quite off topic.

prehistoric

problem with wireless, caused by zombies?

#166 Post by prehistoric »

I've had a peculiar problem in changing locations with wireless. The first time I configure wireless I have no problems. Changing to a second location leads to frustration, I can detect the network, but DHCP never connects. By accident I found plugging in a USB wireless dongle also allowed me to reconfigure the first interface.

I'm wondering if Barry's discovery about fuser and zombies could explain this. In the past I've tried to kill visible processes to break an apparent deadlock, but now it seems zombies would not be visible. Anyone else recognise this?

prehistoric

Amit

#167 Post by Amit »

Free memory (the one on the tray)
The help info opens dillo, with http://usr/share/doc (not file://usr/share/doc/...) and it looks really bad.

pakt

3.01 unmounts the USB device that it boots from

#168 Post by pakt »

3.01 unmounts the USB device that it boots from.

When I boot 3.01 from a USB stick, I get correctly get the warning to not disconnect the USB device, BUT the stick is unmounted anyway after booting.

Should I want to load a module afterwards, it won't be found since the zdrv_301.sfs file is on the unmounted USB stick. :?
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

Sage

#169 Post by Sage »

Wrong 'Bugs' - sorry.

gerry

#170 Post by gerry »

This one is not exactly 301, rather it's GTKSee. I have a folder /mnt/hda2/photos

GTKSee will list all the files in mnt/hda2, but not the folder. GIMP has no problem.

EDIT: ie GTKSee will list all the .sfs, .2fs, .BAK etc files, but not the "/photos" folder, or, of course, the files in it.

Home is on hda1, and hda2 is mounted.

Puppy 214R using GQView has no problem.
Both 214R and 301 are live cd.

Gerry