Puppy 3.01 final bugs reports here

Please post any bugs you have found
Wolf Pup

#16 Post by Wolf Pup »

dont know if this is a bug, but when puppy 3.01 is installed using full installation to /dev/hda3, both mut and pmount report /dev/hda3 as mountable, but when hda3 is mounted puppy cant reboot and when unmounted freezes? anyway to make /dev/hda3 not seen by both pmount and mut?

also printing desent work in puppy 3.01 anymore using a hp deskjet 3740, maybe a new package is needed?
Last edited by Wolf Pup on Tue 16 Oct 2007, 03:21, edited 2 times in total.
[img]http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8595/ubd6467dp2.png[/img]
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/54tu74]Visit The Repository[/url] - Helpful and hard-to-find treats for Puppy 3.
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/c5a68f]Click Here for Puppy Support Chat, + Helpful Links.[/url]

vanchutr

Same error about "locale"

#17 Post by vanchutr »

Hi Barry,
In Puppy 301 final, I met this error: -- Cannot set LC_ALL to ...

Code: Select all

locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=
Please check "set locale" or something in "init..". May be I'm wrong so please, please, ...,please help me. Thankx

flagman

Key bindings do not work in Netsurf

#18 Post by flagman »

I'm afraid I can't say if the keyboard shortcuts in Netsurf worked prior to 3.01 Final, but they do not appear to work now. No response to key combos whatsoever. I've not had any other like problems in 3.01.

Upgrade went smoothly. I am booting from flash into 1GB ram.

Kal

#19 Post by Kal »

kirk

Set a root password and entered it when CUPS asked for it. Works!
Tried it again, with another fresh puppy save file. Password accepted for root, "woofwoof". No go on this computer with HP deskjet 3740 and the drivers installed. Comes up with "/usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip failed" as the error.

Good Luck, Kal

reckrhodes

#20 Post by reckrhodes »

I have two HP Deskjets here. My 640C works fine. But my 3745 will give the same message like what kal shown to us.

tlchost

Re: Puppy 3.01 final bugs reports here

#21 Post by tlchost »

LiveCd - this version doesn't recognize the hda-intel that 2,17,1 recognized on a Dell Dimension 5150.

kirk

#22 Post by kirk »

Booted up 301 this morning, stopped on loading the pup_save file again for about 2 minutes. Guess it's not just the first boot. The hard drive is busy doing something for 2 minutes. Maybe it is doing a fsck, but 2 minutes seems very long for that. Unless it's fscking more that just the pup_save file.

Firefox

#23 Post by Firefox »

It WORKS, it WORKS, it WORKS, it WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My PRINTER after 18 months of trying to get it to work under Puppy has finaly printed
out a TEST PAGE!!!!!!. I`m overjoyed.
The SECRET? installing devx_301.sfs by DesertPuppys instructions so I could install pnm2ppa driver, downloading foomatic-rip and foomatic-gswrapper and putting them in /usr/local/bin,putting PPD driver in /usr/share/cups/model then printed out a test page!
I did not get the foomatic error in previous releases.
My printer is HP710C and the driver can be used for 720c 722c 820cse,820cxi,1000cse,1000cxi.

What a FAB DISTRO

linuxcbon

#24 Post by linuxcbon »

/var/log/Xorg.0.log

Code: Select all

(WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)
(EE) Failed to load module "glx" (module does not exist, 0)
(WW) RADEON(0): Direct rendering disabled

Crash

#25 Post by Crash »

Wolf Pup -

I noted the same problem in one of the beta tests, but I guess it got lost in the mix of things:

With a full install on a hard drive, the partition is not locked. ROX thinks you can mount it, which leads to really interesting results. GParted doesn't see the partition locked either.

This is not an issue with a frugal install, only for full install.

These screens show results for a Puppy 3.01 full install booted on hda2 and Puppy 3.01 frugal install booted on hda4:
Attachments
combo.png
(37.82 KiB) Downloaded 2076 times

Mic67

#26 Post by Mic67 »

netload network traffic

when using dialup modem does not display the ppp0 just the cancel button.

So this app, can not be used.

This was under Hydrant 3.01a and I figure it is likely in Barrys version.

BTW
Xorg worked where xvesa did not

I think it was the right combination but with xorg in this version with the right card has made a super fast computer - totally impressed.

Excellent work as per usual

Cheers mic67

vanchutr

#27 Post by vanchutr »

Puppy 301 frugal install - good: via the isolinux boot loader (loadlin.exe and options.txt)
On my computer P4 - 512MB Ram (Onboard Graphic Card): Xorg don't work - Xorg worked good with Puppy 2.17.1
Xvesa runs well and fast.
Internet connection: good (with Auto DHCP via eth0 - card RTL-8139 Fast Ethernet - module 8139too bus PCI)
Remaster CD works with Barry's script named "remasterpup2c.sh" (an old version) (I don't see the remaster on main menu of Puppy 301)
Thank Puppy team. (Great work)

Sage

#28 Post by Sage »

Additional hurdles seem to have been erected in the Universal Installer?
It should be able to detect which CDdrive contains the boot CD, especially after booting from it?! I missed the new message first time around and got a pile of garbage before I swapped the CD over to the "expected" drive. I suspect that newcomers might also get confused by this message, although in my case case it was my fault - I do these installs on autopilot and don't tend to read everything displayed.
Contrarily, whilst the files (for a FULL install) are being manipulated (decompressed?) by the HD, there is a long period in which there is NO message on-screen. Given the pathetic or non-functioning HD l.e.d. s one finds these days, it could be construed as a lock-up/crash.

Seamonster has got to go! It is now taking upwards of 20s to load on decent HW.

Otherwise, all the stuff I use seems to be working just fine. Thanks.
Last edited by Sage on Wed 17 Oct 2007, 08:44, edited 1 time in total.

Greatnessguru

SeaMonkey Modern theme... no difference.

#29 Post by Greatnessguru »

With PL 3.01 I tried changing the SeaMonkey theme to Modern.
Restarted SeaMonkey.
Modern is shown as selected, but the icons look the same as Classic.

I use Modern on my Mac, so I know what they should look like.

Thank you,
Eddie

Bruce B

#30 Post by Bruce B »

Crash,

I take it that in the bottom pic, Full is running on hda2?

If so, it seems very odd. Because, I'm running the same version of MUT on 217 and it displays right. I have hda1, hda2 and hda3 mounted.

See pic

Bruce
Attachments
mut-on-217.png
(38.37 KiB) Downloaded 1942 times

ttuuxxx

Re: PETget won't connect to distro sites

#31 Post by ttuuxxx »

DLWood wrote:I'm still not able to use the PETget package manager to install packages with any version 3 of Puppy, including 3.01. If I try "nluug" or "gatech" I get a pop-up message that says the site is UNREACHABLE, and asks if I'm connected to the internet -- yes I am; I can browse all day long. If I try to connect to "ibiblio", it just times out and keeps trying w/o success (about every 3 minutes or so).

I just tried it with 2.17 and it works fine with my dsl modem/router setup. Version 3 does not.

Is anyone else having this problem?
never heard of that problem, it works fine for me, i am sure my Fire Hydrant works fine also. you could try it if you want its based on 3.0 www.ttuuxxx.com

you can always just download the packages direct from ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux and save them to root and then run your package manager to install them, have fun :)

DLWood

Re: PETget won't connect to distro sites

#32 Post by DLWood »

ttuuxxx wrote:
DLWood wrote:I'm still not able to use the PETget package manager to install packages with any version 3 of Puppy, including 3.01. If I try "nluug" or "gatech" I get a pop-up message that says the site is UNREACHABLE, and asks if I'm connected to the internet -- yes I am; I can browse all day long. If I try to connect to "ibiblio", it just times out and keeps trying w/o success (about every 3 minutes or so).

I just tried it with 2.17 and it works fine with my dsl modem/router setup. Version 3 does not.

Is anyone else having this problem?
never heard of that problem, it works fine for me, i am sure my Fire Hydrant works fine also. you could try it if you want its based on 3.0 www.ttuuxxx.com

you can always just download the packages direct from ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux and save them to root and then run your package manager to install them, have fun :)
I received a PM from another Puppy user that said he was experiencing the same problem, so there are at least 2 of us out there not being able to use the PETget manager. It worked for me with all the Puppy versions from 2.10 to 2.17 w/o any problems. It's just the beta and final versions of 3.0 and 3.01 that is causing the problem.

I did download several packages and installed them manually, and that works OK, but I'd really like to use the built-in manager if possible.

Thanks ttuuxxx for your post; I'll check out Fire Hydrant.

Crash

#33 Post by Crash »

Bruce B-

Yes, the bottom shot is running 3.01 full install on HDA2. Also, I have 2.17 full install on HDA3 and MUT shows up OK on it. I didn't post a screen shot, but it looks like yours. So I conclude it is a 3.xx issue. I note that GParted does not show the partition to be locked under a 3.01 full install, but it is locked under a 3.01 frugal or 2.17 full install.

rafo

burniso2cd, icons, keyboard shortcuts on netsurf

#34 Post by rafo »

Hi,

just 3 things to comment on:

1. burniso2cd didn't work for me. Some gtkdialog thing...

2. I liked the icons of 2.17 better.

3. Someone already commented on this: No keyboard shortcuts on netsurf for me. Not even going 1 page down with the space bar.

Cheers and thanks for a great distro,

ra

vientito

xfs disks can't be mounted; module absent

#35 Post by vientito »

in the latest 3.01 version I could not mount all my xfs formatted disks. in all previous versions, kernel module xfs was always present but this latest one seems not to include in either module or built-in.