Puppy 3.01 final bugs reports here

Please post any bugs you have found
Marv

#106 Post by Marv »

In 3.01 and 3.01 NOP, a universal installer install either directly to ideflash or to USB for transfer to ideflash results in PUPMODE 12 in /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE and the Pupsave file is mounted directly to the top layer.

Is this a bug which renders 3.01 useless for flash installations or is it an intentional change?

My concern is writing overly often to the flash so it's back to 2.16 for now.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

wingruntled

#107 Post by wingruntled »

I think I found a bug in the set-time-for-puppy app. After setting the time and clicking OK the screen goes black for a few seconds and "after" it return there is a window saying "Your screen might turn black now for some seconds, just wait..."
I,m not a programmer but it seems to me that the below two lines should be reversed in this app.
date $DT
Xdialog --title "info" --msgbox "Your screen might turn black now for some seconds, just wait..." 0 0

perixx

#108 Post by perixx »

Hello again, Leon!

I have set up Puppy 3.01 on my HDD now; the problem with non-functional internet access remains persistent, though!

Although I've doublechecked and set everything as you said - also manually eth0 - I only can start the ppp0 connection on eth0 with Roaring Penguin (Blinky shows 2 green signals), but I CAN'T access any internet sites with mozilla! I even automagically set the firewall.

'chap- and pap-secrets' are set correctly, as are the DNS-servers. Ifconfig will show a seemingly working network, eth0 and ppp0 are looking good from what I can judge. BUT I cannot ping the DNS-servers, not even the localhost 127.0.0.1 in the console!

perixx

Leon

#109 Post by Leon »

perixx wrote: Although I've doublechecked and set everything as you said - also manually eth0 - I only can start the ppp0 connection on eth0 with Roaring Penguin (Blinky shows 2 green signals), but I CAN'T access any internet sites with mozilla! I even automagically set the firewall.
Maybe I can give you some advise if you copy a contents of your

/root/.etc/ppp/rp-pppoe-gui/conf.(your_connection_name)

file and paste it here.

You can delete the 4th line in your post or change it to:

USER=XXXXX

perixx

#110 Post by perixx »

Leon,

currently I'm working in Xubuntu; do you know how to mount the pup_save.2fs - or is the questionable file in within the pup_301.sfs..?
Sorry for the inconvenience...

perixx

perixx

#111 Post by perixx »

Hello again, I'm back Leon!

Here are the contents as requested...

conf.DSL:
# Configuration file for connection `ArcorDSL'.
# Automatically generated. Do not edit by hand.

USER=xxxxxxxxxx
ETH=eth0
DNSTYPE=SPECIFY
PEERDNS=no
DNS1=195.xxxxxxxxxx
DNS2=195.xxxxxxxxxx
SYNCHRONOUS=no
FIREWALL=MASQUERADE
SERVICENAME=
ACNAME=
CONNECT_TIMEOUT=30
CONNECT_POLL=1
FORCEPING="."
PIDFILE=/var/run/pppoe-DSL.pid
CLAMPMSS=1412
LCP_INTERVAL=20
LCP_FAILURE=3
PPPOE_TIMEOUT=80
LINUX_PLUGIN=
DEMAND=no
DEFAULTROUTE=yes
connection-info:
# RP-PPPoE GUI Configuration Information.
# This file may *look* human-editable, but it is NOT.
# So, you with the text editor: Keep away from this file.
#
{ConnectionName DSL UserName xxxxxxxxx NetworkName {} Interface eth0 DNSType Specify DNS1 195.xxxxxxxxxxx DNS2 195.xxxxxxxxxx NonrootOK 0 Sync 0 FirewallType Masquerading ServiceName {} ACName {}}
Btw.: why isn't the password stored in encrypted form??

perixx

Leon

#112 Post by Leon »

perixx wrote:conf.DSL:
# Configuration file for connection `ArcorDSL'.
# Automatically generated. Do not edit by hand.

USER=xxxxxxxxxx
ETH=eth0
DNSTYPE=SPECIFY
PEERDNS=no
DNS1=195.xxxxxxxxxx
DNS2=195.xxxxxxxxxx
SYNCHRONOUS=no
FIREWALL=MASQUERADE
SERVICENAME=
ACNAME=
CONNECT_TIMEOUT=30
CONNECT_POLL=1
FORCEPING="."
PIDFILE=/var/run/pppoe-DSL.pid
CLAMPMSS=1412
LCP_INTERVAL=20
LCP_FAILURE=3
PPPOE_TIMEOUT=80
LINUX_PLUGIN=
DEMAND=no
DEFAULTROUTE=yes
connection-info:
# RP-PPPoE GUI Configuration Information.
# This file may *look* human-editable, but it is NOT.
# So, you with the text editor: Keep away from this file.
#
{ConnectionName DSL UserName xxxxxxxxx NetworkName {} Interface eth0 DNSType Specify DNS1 195.xxxxxxxxxxx DNS2 195.xxxxxxxxxx NonrootOK 0 Sync 0 FirewallType Masquerading ServiceName {} ACName {}}
Hi perixx,

The settings that you posted are the same as mine except for this one:

FIREWALL=MASQUERADE

When I changed it too 'FIREWALL=MASQUERADE' I noticed the same symptoms as you described. I always use:

FIREWALL=STANDALONE

Try this one and report results.

perixx

#113 Post by perixx »

No Leon,

It's a matter of fact that my DSL-connection
'JUST WON'T RUN'.

I've tried all those combinations and NOTHING works - not even trying to manually set up the network:

'ifconfig eth0 inet 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
route add net 192.168.0.2 mask 0.0.0.0. gw'
or
'pon dsl-provider'
or
'pppd user "USERNAME" eth0 noipdefault usepeerdns' (will give an error about 'unknown option eth0'!?)

Nothing will help. Maybe I'm doing some wrong manual setup here, but if nothing works, this usually does under Ubuntu - and after all I shouldn't need this things with Roaring at all! Darn, why isn't pppoeconf at hand...

I simply won't get further but having two green lights at Roaring's network indicator and my DSL-modem showing me that it's connected to my ethernet. Firefox doesn't find anything.

And yes, IT MUST BE A BUG in my opinion (driver, RoaringPenguin or sth. in between)
- or some wicked undocumented changes in how to configure network!

perixx

Leon

#114 Post by Leon »

perixx wrote:Maybe I'm doing some wrong manual setup here, but if nothing works, this usually does under Ubuntu - and after all I shouldn't need this things with Roaring at all! Darn, why isn't pppoeconf at hand...
perixx,

Berry mentioned some links to pages with instructions on how to set up DSL connection without Roaring Penguin package.

http://puppylinux.com/blog/?p=11

perixx

#115 Post by perixx »

Thank you Leon, I'll check this one out!

davids45

RALINK wifi drivers WPA problems

#116 Post by davids45 »

G'day,
This bug (a change from 2.17) has been reported in a few places in the wider forum.
With Puppy 2.17, I had my wifi found and set-up-able under WPA by the Network wizard on my two desktop computers. The wifi devices on both these computers are RALINK 2500 usb built-in (according to XP).
Puppy 3.01's wizard preloads a RT2570 usb driver then tells me I cannot run WPA with this (???) and then goes ahead with trying to set up WEP (!!!).
WEP is OK if one of my neighbours has their unprotected networks running at the same time, but I'd rather use my own WPA-managed wireless network.
NDISwrapper works on one desktop if I set it up each time (rmmod the RT driver but 3.01 wont save the settings??) and on the other desktop computer, the Windows drivers are described as 'invalid' by 3.01 when I tried them with NDISWRAPPER.

David S.

tempestuous

#117 Post by tempestuous »

3.01 may have worked for you simply because its startup scripts give priority to the (newer) rt73 driver instead of the rt2570 driver.

The complex situation with Ralink and WPA in Linux is explained here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 339#159339

If you read (and understand) that information, it's possible to bypass the Network Wizard altogether and take full control of your wifi configuration ... which can be a very effective and empowering process.

Later, to automate the setup you can create a script with the necessary commands, then launch this script from a desktop icon.

tony

3.01 bug?

#118 Post by tony »

Hi,

my full hard drive install of 3.01 gets itself into an endless loop on startup. You can only get out of it by switching to xvesa.
See this thread.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 537#159537

regards Tony.

davids45

#119 Post by davids45 »

G'day Temp,

Thanks for your reply to my issues with 3.01 and my RALINK usb2500 desktops. I'll have a go with what you've outlined in your referenced posting when I go home tonight.

Is it possible to replace the driver for the usb RT2570 in 3.01 which doesn't work in the 3.01 wizard with the driver from 2.17 which does support WPA and works via the wizard in 2.17 in both desktops? I had a quick pfind for a rt2570 driver file in 3.01 but could not locate anything? What would it be called?
I'd also need to find and copy the good driver file in 2.17. But I'd look harder if I knew this file swap would be a simple solution. Or is the 3.01 wizard the problem?

David S.

prehistoric

trapped by Roaring Penguin

#120 Post by prehistoric »

This one didn't bite me until I tried to set up a wireless network for a friend with a DSL modem using my laptop (Dell Latitude D600 booting off usbflash). At home I use a wireless link or direct connect through a cable to a router with DHCP. Because of wiring problems at the new site, the connection between the WLAN router and the modem did not work. After trying DHCP and failing, tried PPPoE with Roaring_Penguin. This also failed, but not before I hit the save button. After this, the default connection was set to "exec tkpppoe". Even going back to the Setup menu or Icon did not give me the option of changing the radio button. Ended up finding default connection, in /usr/local/bin and changing back.

Even when the default connection is set, explicit use of Setup should take you back to the choosing all network options. Anyone else run into this?

prehistoric

For years I have been saying "no network is ever really debugged." Forums are also CSMA/CD. Is it time to do an exponential backoff?

PaulBx1

#121 Post by PaulBx1 »

Even when the default connection is set, explicit use of Setup should take you back to the choosing all network options. Anyone else run into this?
Yes, I agree. I can't recall the details about when I ran into trouble, but I think it had to do with wanting to switch from one profile to another, or at least to looking at my profile information (e.g. the WPA password to set a router up). Yet in a working network, you never have access to that page any more.

Or something like that. Again, having trouble remembering the details.

RobertB

#122 Post by RobertB »

I read through the thread, and noticed several references to applications taking a long time to start up. That's the problem I'm having, and it's also noted in this thread under "Beginners Help". In that thread, a new user of Puppy Linux started with 3.01, had troubles, and gave up on it. I'm not giving up, but I'm wondering if I need to go back to 2.17.

I did a full HD install of Puppy 3.01 (from a disk directly from Barry, yay!) on a new (to me) computer, freshly repartitioned (4 data partitions and a 1GB swap) and reformatted. It's a Celeron (don't know what vintage) with some 300MB of RAM. But from the beginning, it's behaved strangely.

After it completes the command-line bootup messages, there's a black screen with a mouse pointer for several minutes. You can move the mouse, but nothing happens. Then, a pixel lights up in the bottom corner of the screen. A long time later, the taskbar appears, but no desktop and nothing useful on the taskbar. After an eternity, the desktop finally appears.

Then, it's time to actually run something. A relatively tiny app, the very nice (except for the password thing) PupDial, takes a minute to load up. Opera takes 5 minutes sometimes. Once an application is loaded, it runs fine, but starting an application is a ridiculous chore.

One interesting behavior is that the system seems to figure something out after several boot cycles. Eventually, applications started coming up almost like normal. But then something glitched, and the black screen started staying at bootup. One time, my kids powered it down -- and that caused a file to get corrupted, requiring fsck before the system would boot (endless loop otherwise). After that, it was slow slow slow again, and then gradually seemed to get less slow.

I thought maybe my swap was causing the problem, so I axed it. But bootup is now back to the slowest -- it's like whenever anything about the system changes, bootup and starting applications is super slow.

I'm sure there's something different about my setup, and I'd be happy to dump whatever files might be helpful. It's just sad that the person in the thread I cited installed some other, inferior distro because he had these problems with the latest Puppy version.

peppyy

#123 Post by peppyy »

I have been running 3,01, full hd install, on my Thinkpad T-22 for a little over a month now and have managed to work out most of the bugs, usually by changing or adding apps. I finally put a large drive inn and have room to play without having to keep a constant eye on thing.

My biggest problem right now is Mut. I have not been able to determine why it locks up the computer when I use my pcmcia smart media adapter. It has worked in all previous versions and P-mount works fine with it. I will just make the transition to P-mount and hide the desktop icon to avoid this in the future

I have a few minor bugs to work out still, most are with slackware compatibility and missing librarys on non-standard apps. I am very excited to have as many working allowing me to make this a great multi tasking machine.
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

nibl

Wifi wizard counts wrong number of digits

#124 Post by nibl »

The wifi wizard, inside the network wizard, counts one digit too few. When you enter an 8 digit password it counts 7. So it gives an error that the passw is too short, which is wrong.

I had to reboot into another OS, make the passw 9 digits long and then it worked in Puppy. This bug exists in older versions like 2.14. Odd that nobody noticed yet?

Where is the script for this so I could fix it?

tempestuous

#125 Post by tempestuous »

nibl,
I will take a guess that you are using one of the Ralink wifi drivers, and Puppy 3-retro?

ESSID truncation was a known problem with Ralink drivers when Puppy moved up to the 2.6.21 kernel for version 2.17.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=20171

It turns out that Ralink wifi drivers (and maybe some others) are sensitive to the version of Wireless Extensions and Wireless-tools which, in turn, are sensitive to the kernel version.
The problem with Puppy 3.x is that the Wireless-tools were compiled for the 2.6.21.7 kernel ... and these should work fine ... but they are probably incompatible with the "retro" 2.6.18.1 kernel. Therefore, there will be wifi problems in Puppy3-retro.

The solution is not as easy as copying over the Wireless-tools from Puppy version 2.16 (the last one with the 2.6.18.1 kernel) because these will fail to work in Puppy 3.x with error message warning that the Wireless-tools were compiled with a different version of glibc.
The only way to fix this problem would be to recompile the Wireless-tools in Puppy3-retro ... and this may be difficult because the compiler will look for 2.6.18.1 kernel headers, which are not available in the Puppy3 devx package.

Simple answer; use the non-retro version of Puppy 3 for wifi support with Ralink. If the 2.6.21.7 kernel gives other hardware problems, go back to the Puppy 2 series.