Wireless Networking with Puppy v3

scotto_puppy

Wireless Networking with Puppy v3

#1 Post by scotto_puppy »

I love my puppy and have been using him for a year or so. But here is my continuing problem. I want to use my wireless connection with WEP security. My wireless card is a BCM43xx and I am running it on my HP laptop with plenty of RAM. Regular ethernet works perfectly.
Here are the steps I use - please tell me if I am doing something wrong:
1. Setup
2. Connect to Internet via network interface
3. Select eth0 - BCM43xx Broadcom wireless driver
4. Click on the ETH0 button
5.Click on the wireless button
6. Select scan
7. Puppy detects my WEP secured wireless - excellent
8. I enter the WEP 10 digit code and save the configuration
9. Puppy then reports it is 'unable to connect to a wireless network'

If I try all of the above without WEP, everything is fine.
Please tell me I have forgotten a simple step or that I need to do something else that has escaped my notice
Thanks!

paulh177

#2 Post by paulh177 »

Although your subject title refers to puppy v3, your post says you have been using it for a year, and v3 is only just out in beta so I wondered what verson you are using?

The network wizard has had an awful lot of work done to it in the last year, so it may be (if you are using a version of puppy a year old) that you are suffering a bug that has been corrected. if so then an updated network wizard or perhaps the newest stable puppy (2.17) might solve the problem.

paul

scotto_puppy

#3 Post by scotto_puppy »

paulh177 wrote:Although your subject title refers to puppy v3, your post says you have been using it for a year, and v3 is only just out in beta so I wondered what verson you are using?

The network wizard has had an awful lot of work done to it in the last year, so it may be (if you are using a version of puppy a year old) that you are suffering a bug that has been corrected. if so then an updated network wizard or perhaps the newest stable puppy (2.17) might solve the problem.

paul
I am using Puppy 3 (full release, not beta, released today)
I was hoping that the new version might have fixed my woes but no such luck. Previously I have used all versions from 213, steadily upgrading as each new version was released.

jonyo

#4 Post by jonyo »

In case v3 doesn't work out..

I had wifi running good on 2 laps with onboard mini-pci BCM43xx chip cards using 2.12 & 3 live cd save file to hd. Worked with the win .inf file & ndiswrapper, wep 64 hex too.

~ 2'.14 or perhaps .15, pup auto loaded a native driver on boot & couldn't get it to work. Around that time also was a firmware fix that had to be added; I tried it but didn't help.

Got it working by blacklisting the native driver & again using the win.inf file which did not require the firmware fix. Didn't try it with pup after 2.15. I just use a usb wifi dongle if I have trouble with an onboard card. Some lap wifi cards are easy to swap out also (2 screws & a cover) & i've done that for ~ 20 bucks.

tempestuous

Re: Wireless Networking with Puppy v3

#5 Post by tempestuous »

scotto_puppy wrote:If I try all of the above without WEP, everything is fine.
So the driver works, but connections fail with WEP encryption.
1. Check that your router is truly using WEP, not WPA encryption.
2. Try loading some encryption-related modules before running the Wizard -

Code: Select all

modprobe aes
modprobe crc32c 
modprobe aes
3. run the setup commands manually, so you can see any error messages -
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Wifi/drivers- ... README.txt
4. Try updating your adaptor's firmware by extracting the firmware from the Windows driver, using the bcm43xx-fwcutter utility -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 546#115546

geneven

Wep + Puppy + BCM43xx

#6 Post by geneven »

It works for me, but I have to run the early part of the manual setup described in the Wiki; the graphical menu installation doesn't work for me either, and someone else has also mentioned that.

I have another question, though -- My Internet access while in Puppy (3.0) is for the birds; very sluggish. Is it possible that the Linux driver is no good, and I would be better off going with the ndiswrapper?