Instux, a project I can never do alone

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Wolfen

#16 Post by Wolfen »

Man, I'm starting to think I'm speaking to deaf ears. This thread's got more than 1000 views, and no one's posted any feedback. What's the point then?

I'll try one more time. This is the Mandriva script, test it out. I know you can. I've been a tester of various things myself on this site, it's not hard to check if the scripts works or not. BUT, this time, I've not had the time to test the script myself, as I've used the bandwith of my network most of the day.
Attachments
mandrivadown.sh.tar
Mandriva 2008 One download script
(10 KiB) Downloaded 517 times
Wolfen

geneven

#17 Post by geneven »

I've viewed your messages because I'm curious about what you're doing, but I am also interested in other things. I don't think we owe testing to you in exchange for looking at your messages. If testing was something we owed, I'd probably have to quit reading messages, since there are so many of them here and on other forums.

Wolfen

#18 Post by Wolfen »

Well, if you don't want to test, then you can at least suggest some distros you want me to include. Because I'm running out of ideas soon.
Wolfen

muggins

#19 Post by muggins »

Actually, if you were doing this for a business you should be very happy as you wouldn't need to maintain a complaints department! I see that your puppy install script has been downloaded 21 times, ubuntu 25, gentoo 17 & mandriva 10 times. I haven't downloaded myself as, being on dialup, i suspect I would be 95 before ubuntu download had finished. But then, what person in their right mind would want to install ubuntu? (sorry BruceB, no sleight intended).

I don't want to denigrate the fine members of our puppy community, but I wonder if anyone downloaded your scripts thinking that you had some new marvelous compression algorithm that had squeezed .isos into tiny packages. Look at this thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 25&t=23714

where I've uploaded the mtpaint-3.19 manual in two halves, and one half has been downloaded 24 times, the other 12...well, I suppose that is half! why would anyone want to dload half a manual?

geneven

Distros

#20 Post by geneven »

The distros I've used most are Suse and Mint, and now Puppy. Mepis is one you might consider.

If I were doing this, I might just go down the DistroWatch list for candidates, eliminating most of the Ubuntu-based ones because they are too similar, though Mint is my favorite. Or you could use a list you think is more accurate than the DistroWatch list.

Wolfen

#21 Post by Wolfen »

Ah, of course. Mint, Mepis and Suse. I will do Mint, and I will at least try to do Mepis and Suse. Thanks, Geneven. I will take a closer look at the DW list too.
Muggins, you're right. Ubuntu and some others aren't really dialup friendly. And it is a possibility that some has misunderstood the scripts, like you say.
To make totally clear on that, these scripts are only download scripts for the distros. Then I will make burn-to-cd/dvd scripts. Installation will be left up to the individual distros.
Wolfen

Wolfen

Linux Mint 4.0

#22 Post by Wolfen »

Ok, here's the Linux Mint script. But I would like some help to re-write this script; I feel there's something I've omitted. I will maybe add second trys like "wget [iso-link] || wget [alternate-iso-link]" in case a server's down or something, but first I'll focus on covering the eventual distros.
Attachments
mintdown.sh.tar
Download script for Linux Mint 4.0
(10 KiB) Downloaded 454 times
Wolfen

Wolfen

#23 Post by Wolfen »

And here is the Mepis one. I'll try Suse next. The nice part of these scripts is that they're easy to modify, and so people can make their own, covering their favourite distros.
Attachments
mepisdown.sh.tar
(10 KiB) Downloaded 449 times
Wolfen

Wolfen

#24 Post by Wolfen »

I made one for openSUSE. Any more requests?
Attachments
susedown.sh.tar
openSUSE download script
(10 KiB) Downloaded 474 times
Wolfen

macadavy

#25 Post by macadavy »

Hi Wolven,

I'm familiar with your excellent work with Wolvix Linux:

http://wolvix.org/

Will you be offering a download script for your own distro? ;-)
Frankly, if you've noticed a less than overwhelming response to your initiative, I think you may consider that a couple of factors could be in play here:

1. Most readers of this forum are interested in Puppy Linux. For myself I've not the slightest interest in downloading Ubuntu, SUSE, Mandriva or any other distro. If I were I would go to their website or a general Linux site like DistroWatch to download.

2. Unless your download method offers a significant advantage in speed and convenience for say, dial-up downloaders there's really no reason to use it. The download process is pretty simple, and speeds can be improved using wget-type download managers.

Consider posting at a general Linux forum, or any of the distros for which you've created download scripts.

Please don't take offence at my suggestions, and do keep up the good work with Wolvix! :D
[i]Welcome to my weird, wild, wonderful, wired world![/i]

Wolfen

#26 Post by Wolfen »

Uhm, I'm not the Wolven you think of. :? Wolven is a great guy, I've spoken with him on the net, and I'm using his distro daily, but I'm not the author. I actually chose my name on here before I heard about Wolvix; if I had, I'd not use a name this similiar to Wolven (notice 'v' and 'f'..).

I ain't offended in any way by your statings; I find them true enough myself. As for my reasons to actually post here:

1. This will be a Puplet, meaning it is connected to Puppy. The reason for the download script should be explained pretty well in the first post.

2. I enjoy scripting, and doing this is good practice. I can also get feedback by people I know are polite, meaning improvement. This project was meant as a kind of "give something back" to the Linux community, as I see few other ways I could (being occupied by school etc.).

And I have made a download script for the Wolvix GNU/Linux Hunter 1.1.0, and I believe I put it up here. If not, I'll be sure to do so.
Wolfen

macadavy

#27 Post by macadavy »

Sorry for the confusion! :oops:
I went back and read your first post and now better understand what you are trying to achieve:
a point'n'click minimal Puppy w/downloader for the distro of one's choice.
Neat!
[i]Welcome to my weird, wild, wonderful, wired world![/i]

Wolfen

#28 Post by Wolfen »

Yup, you've got it there. And the confusion is no problem at all. It's not the first time ;)

But are there any suggestions fo other distros, or shall I now try to get VMware to work on my computer again, to attempt a remaster? (Getting VMware up worked before, but after a reinstall of Wolvix, it complains 'bout some /etc file).

EDIT: I see now, that VMware simply don't want to work, and besides, I do not have the time and resources needed for this project. So I will abandon this idea. Though people are welcome to use the idea / the scripts I made.
Wolfen