NOP (Nearly Office Pup) 3.01 final available for download

News, happenings
jcoder24

#121 Post by jcoder24 »

I was wondering if there is any difference between puppy301 initrd and NOPs?

richhard

#122 Post by richhard »

Hi Gray,
you tell me:
"I am surprised xine does not play DVD for you. It works really well for me -
even full screen. Did you use the CD/DVD drive wizard so that the
DVD:/ link is activated for xine ?"

Perhaps this is the important hint: how can I use the CD/DVD drive wizard ??
Sorry, I have no idea what this is and how to do it. :wink:
Any more detailed instruction would be greatly appreciated!

Btw: just downloading NOP-r5 8)

gray

NOPs

#123 Post by gray »

The change from r4 to r5 only involves the pup301 file, though both the initrd and 301 file are different to the base 301 puppy.

richhard:

With every puppy you need to run the CD/CVD drive wizard at least once. In NOP go to the Puppy Setup menu, select CD/DVD drive wizard and then choose which drives you want to assign as "CD" or "DVD" readers and of course burner drive. Even if you only have one such drive you still need to run the wizard so that vital symlinks are created that the likes of xine use.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: NOPs

#124 Post by Lobster »

I used r5 as the basis for Tmxxine Vision
which makes it holy / demonic or just the same as usual
dependent on your mindset . . . :D

I have been using this remaster . . .
http://tmxxine.com/wik/wikka.php?wakka= ... xineVision
(it is just NOP 3.01 with a piece of software autostarting))

. . . the autostarting did not work until I rebooted
but now the main program - NAP - is coming up :)

Opera however seems very slow (which is odd) :?
Twice it has crashed :cry:

I am running with 512MB of Ram - that should be OK?

Any clues :?:
No doubt I have done something clueless again . . . :oops:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

richhard

#125 Post by richhard »

Hi Gray,

thanks a lot, Gparted is back again!!

I ran the CD/DVD drive wizard (which I did not knew)
but with xine I still have problems:
in principle it is working perfect now, :)
but there is still some kind of black magic behind :(

after click to play DVD, I never know in advance, if it will stop with the message:
--> the source can't be read ....
with "more..." --> audio_decoder. error, unknown buffertype .....
or if it will do the job.
but sometimes it really works perfect !!

==> any idea, how to tweak this would be welcome :shock:

GrantsV

#126 Post by GrantsV »

Amazing looking distro, really almost perfect!

When I add any new printer via. CUPS I get:
server-error-internal-error

Any ideas?

GrantsV

#127 Post by GrantsV »

Another thing to do with CUPS. I just noticed it is a different version than 1.2.11 CUPS that is included with standard 3.01 Pup. The standard 3.01 version of CUPS has many more drivers including Canon IP4300 I require!

setecio

#128 Post by setecio »

Can I get Thunar to show picture thumbnails as I browse folders full of photographs ? They all just display the same generic 'sky' icon .

EDIT : I should have tried the obvious first ! Found it in settings manager - file manager - show thumbnails.

oblivious

NOP is a very lovable mutt

#129 Post by oblivious »

I've downloaded NOP 301r5 to have a look at it and it is a winner :D. It is just what I like - it looks good, it makes sense, doing things with xfce is straightforward, no extra stuff that I don't use or even know what it is..... I'm hoping our initial friendship continues for quite a while before I mess everything up :lol: .

Thanks very much, Gray.

setecio

#130 Post by setecio »

Is there a setting that will cause photographs to open at screen size rather than at their natural resolution ?

Unfortunately they all seem to open at their natural resolution as gigantic photos which causes alot of extra work when viewing alot of them.

Is there a setting somewhere which would cause them to open to display the whole photo within the screen ?

Turpin

#131 Post by Turpin »

I could use a little extra instruction on how to maintain a long-term NOP live cd...(cut short by me so people don't waste their time reading it)

Update: Oops never mind. Did you know there's a whole guide already for this? Lol yes I should have searched Puppy's home page better. I have some reading to do.

Thanks
Last edited by Turpin on Tue 08 Apr 2008, 07:27, edited 1 time in total.
[color=darkgreen]Oh dear, another BSOD. That just makes me so angry; so very angry indeed..[/color]

Henry

Menu Editor - Solved

#132 Post by Henry »

Well, Gray, I thought we had given up on this when I saw this discussion.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=26273

After following these brief instructions:

I renamed /root/.config/xfce4/desktop/menu.xml to ,,,menu.old(in case something screwed up) Then copied /root/.cache/xfce4/desktop/menu-cache--root-.config-xfce4-desktop-menu.xml.xml to /root/.config/xfce4/desktop and then renamed it to menu.xml

I immediately have a full working menu editor ! Now to see if it survives a reboot.

Turpin

#133 Post by Turpin »

It does. :) I did it yesterday and it worked and survived reboot.
I wonder if a guru will come along and know exactly where in Linux history this problem sprang up and how to fix it for all future releases. It may be a minor fix when a semi-pro user runs into it. It's a serious pain for a novice. I'm not telling which I am.

Turpin

#134 Post by Turpin »

I wonder why the main Puppy release isn't already switched over to XFCE. It's so much more fun and usable. And it's not much bigger than the window manager in the standard Puppy, is it? I'm not complaining. I have NOP to keep me happy.

gray

Menu

#135 Post by gray »

Henry & Turpin : The menu was set up deliberately that way so that new packages would be automatically addedd into the menu via the .desktop files. The menu was effectively a template, which Xfce then fills in as the file in the cache. I hadn't thought about using the cache menu as the actual menu. When you add a new package does the menu update or do you have to manually edit the menu to add the new item now ?

Henry

#136 Post by Henry »

Thanks, Gray,

If I understand, what we just did used the menu cache, and was a way to change the appearance of the existing menu, removing items from displaying, or moving their display, but not adding new ones. Do I have that right?

So I have reverted to the original menu.xml. The menu editor remains one of the few minor disappointments in Xfce.

Henry

NOP becomes OP

#137 Post by Henry »

Greetings, Gray,

I have been using puppy for a couple of years and specifically NOP since available. This is solid and polished in my configuration - the best Linux I have seen.

I have tried to use puppy in my work but it means awkwardly booting back and forth with windows for those windows programs I cannot do without. Until linux can run these it will be stay "nearly office pup." The close ones don't count!

Wine is inevitably flakey even when it "almost works" and it doesn't work at all with some of the needed programs (which are not exotic and easily run in win98se). Wine is not a contender. Virtualization seems to be the only hope. From what little I know I would like to run NOP as host with windows as guest. I already have my super small 98Lite installed on the hard disk (also on a ghost image backup CD)

So here is the suggestion/request/challenge for you - Make NOP into "OP" by creating a QEMU enabled version that regular people like me could use with a small windows guest. You would be famous and appreciated even more than you are now!

Henry

gray

menu ?

#138 Post by gray »

Henry: I didnt mention the update menu question as a sly comment - I genuinley dont know if replacing the menu file with the cache menu will still work for updates. It will be neat if it does. ( may try myself if I get time - but it is rugby season and I have three teenage son rugby players/supporters that eat my time at this point of the year - go the Tahs !!).

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Henry

Menu editor, Virtualisation

#139 Post by Henry »

Gray,

I have not tested this thoroughly either. I did install a new petget. It did not automatically appear in the menu, but was easy to add with the new menu editor, so I'll keep that for the present.

Re virtualisation: Please keep in mind for the future a simplified path to Qemu, or possibly Virtualbox (but it should work with 98se).

Anyone else with suggestions on this?

Thanks

Henry

QtEmu

#140 Post by Henry »

Gray and all, I posted a question on virtualisation at

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 348#189348

Henry