NOP (Nearly Office Pup) 3.01 final available for download

News, happenings
Henry

More notes, email, etc.

#106 Post by Henry »

I have been using Nop 3.01 r4 since it appeared daily and it is excellent! Please disregard my previously reported problems, most of which were because of the omission of e2fsck in earlier versions and some because of my initialisation oversights in Opera.

One exception. however, remains. Sometimes (infrequently, sorry I can't specify further) when I start Nop the lower left menu does not appear and full amplitude vertical lines keep scrolling through the CPU graph. Restarting (from the upper panel) usually clears this.

About email. This has nothing to do with Nop, but I'll put it here anyway. I extensively tested and used both Sylpheed and the built-in Opera M2 email 9.25 with my huge real world Pop3 email files.

Sylpheed is very likeable, simple and elegant. Very small and fast, conventional folders. But attachment handling is odd/confusing - it shows the paperclip icon for any html, etc. not only "real" attachments.

Opera mail is very different, using virtual folders (filters or views) with all mail in one "received" folder. Well, now that I understand it I really like it. Opera, browser and mail, really takes days, at least, to understand and choose from the hundreds of setup options, but then it's the best even if proprietary.

All my email was from Eudora windows. The best way I found was to import it to Thunderbird 2 windows mbox files and from there to M2 and Sylpheed in Linux cross platform.

Eudora integrates inline GPG. Neither Sylpheed nor Opera does. But I found it's easy to decrypt CLI, and you have no more than one plain text credit card in the computer at a time.

www.henrystrobel.com/linux.htm See new screenshot at bottom.

Henry

klu9

#107 Post by klu9 »

kattami wrote:On the other side I too have the glitch that I get less and less memory. Something else I discovered was that when I uninstalled programs with pet package manager or gslapt, then the program files was still in my .2fs file.
If I've understood what you're talking about, then I think both these things are both Puppy issues, not specific to NOP. There are various threads in the forum about them.

Re really getting rid of programs, investigate pet-be-gone.

Caneri

#108 Post by Caneri »

here is pup-be-gone

http://puppylinux.ca/members/pupbegone/

I don't know of pet-be-gone..any help with this so I can post it?

Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

kattami

#109 Post by kattami »

Caneri wrote:here is pup-be-gone

http://puppylinux.ca/members/pupbegone/

I don't know of pet-be-gone..any help with this so I can post it?

Eric
Yeah, it is here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 87&t=17035

Well, I am somewhat confused on this because from what Pizzasgood says there, it is only possible to use PetBeGone in a full installation except if remastering after removing programs one want to remove.

But I dont think I have much to remove from Grays NOP-version anyway, so wouldnt it be just as good if I started from scratch again and just added the programs and eventual addons for Xfwm4 and Opera I absolutely want to have and then remaster?

Oh...now I understand why I didnt get some of the themes removed on the list in window manager in the Settings Manager. Because of the above issue. Which means I probably have to look at this since I would like to remove some of the themes. But PetBeGone cant remove themes? It would only be something like Edit-sfs that could remove themes, or am I wrong?

richhard

#110 Post by richhard »

Hi Gray,
first, I agree with anybody: Puppy NOP with Xfce is absolutly great,
thank you for the good work!!

But: today I had to rearrange my partitions, so I put my Puppy CD
(rev 4) to do it with Gparted.
Shock- Gparted is not here, but some other tool I never saw bevore. :?

With your rev 1 happy, I can find the proven Gparted again :lol:

What was your reason to replace the excellent Gparted, which I
think many people are used to work with, by an unknown one??
Would it be possible you come back to this point??
Puppy is an excellent and comfortable tool for system maintnance :!:

gray

Gparted

#111 Post by gray »

Richard,

It seems replacing Gparted with QTparted has caused some angst among the NOPites :cry: . The reason for doing so was to save space, as we already have the QT libraries (needed by Opera). Gparted adds another 1Mb to the iso and QTparted seemed to work OK for me.

I will go back to Gparted and include the latest Pburn for an r5 version though.

Kattami, you need to remove the themes by hand and then remaster - nothing is truly gone until you have remastered. It wont save much space though as the theme files are quite small.

richhard

#112 Post by richhard »

Gray,
I understand, 1Mb is painfull, but I can really confirm: Gparted, current
version is a very reliable tool to tweak partitions!

As I read about r5 version, an other question: I started with Puppy 2.17,
and was very impressed: anything worked easy, play DVD included. :D
But since then: no reliable DVD player anymore.
Also with your NOP: I was not really able to use Xine and watch a DVD!

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 81&t=25211
excerpt from ttuuxxx
Yes You Can, Man I really hate Gxine, The best way to fix it is to replace it!!!!!

Perhaps he is right, but anyway, it would be nice to come back to 2.17
status with a nice and easy working DVD player. :lol:

jcoder24

#113 Post by jcoder24 »

For r5, how about the ability to mount isos and sfs via double click similar to the standard puppy3?

Henry

Keyboard shortcuts in Nop

#114 Post by Henry »

I habitually use keyboard shortcuts ("hot keys"), and it's very easy to set these up in Xfce settings/keyboard for executables, but I would like to use them e.g. for files, as to open file.txt in mousepad.

One can easily send a text file to the desktop. But can one activate such items with a hot key? This may be just a basic Linux syntax question, no surprise there, but thanks anyway ;-)

gray

NOP 301r5

#115 Post by gray »

I have uploaded NOP 301 r5 to http://www.puppylinux.ca/NOP

r5 goes back to using Gparted as promised. QT libraries have been removed and so opera is now the static build. Updated pburn to 0.9.3 and added Hardinfo utility and also xdelta3.

richhard: I am suprised xine does not play DVD for you. It works really well for me - even full screen. Did you use the CD/DVD drive wizard so that the DVD:/ link is activated for xine ?

jcoder24: You can right click on an sfs file and select open with filemount to open up an sfs file (also close it the same way).

Henry: Just set the hotkey to use the command eg mousepad myfile.txt to open that particular file.

prehistoric

Great Job!

#116 Post by prehistoric »

Just tested NOP-3.01r5 on two machines. This one's a keeper!

jcoder24

#117 Post by jcoder24 »

What is the size diff between, opera+qt libs and opera-static? The reason I ask is that by having the qt libs available it is "easier" to install skype, gizmo, and a few other apps that require qt libs.

BTW. I noticed that .zip files are treated like dotpets, is this the case with r5?

Henry

#118 Post by Henry »

"Just set the hotkey to use the command eg mousepad myfile.txt to open that particular file."

Yes, don't know why I had a problem. Maybe if I muff it (wrong path) it has to be first deleted, not just edited?

Thanks for r5.iso.

setecio

#119 Post by setecio »

PUP_301.SFS ZDRV_301.SFS INITRD.GZ VMLINUZ

For r5, is it still only the pup_301.sfs file that needs up dated from previous versions ?

In simple terms, how does the change from opera+qt libs to opera-static affect the end user ?

Thanks.

Henry

#120 Post by Henry »

Setecio: "For r5, is it still only the pup_301.sfs file that needs up dated from previous versions ?"

I had the same question, and to be safe, mounted the CD to copy both files to the hard disk, since it doesn't seem to offer to do that with pfix=ram.

I like this puppy more all the time.

jcoder24

#121 Post by jcoder24 »

I was wondering if there is any difference between puppy301 initrd and NOPs?

richhard

#122 Post by richhard »

Hi Gray,
you tell me:
"I am surprised xine does not play DVD for you. It works really well for me -
even full screen. Did you use the CD/DVD drive wizard so that the
DVD:/ link is activated for xine ?"

Perhaps this is the important hint: how can I use the CD/DVD drive wizard ??
Sorry, I have no idea what this is and how to do it. :wink:
Any more detailed instruction would be greatly appreciated!

Btw: just downloading NOP-r5 8)

gray

NOPs

#123 Post by gray »

The change from r4 to r5 only involves the pup301 file, though both the initrd and 301 file are different to the base 301 puppy.

richhard:

With every puppy you need to run the CD/CVD drive wizard at least once. In NOP go to the Puppy Setup menu, select CD/DVD drive wizard and then choose which drives you want to assign as "CD" or "DVD" readers and of course burner drive. Even if you only have one such drive you still need to run the wizard so that vital symlinks are created that the likes of xine use.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: NOPs

#124 Post by Lobster »

I used r5 as the basis for Tmxxine Vision
which makes it holy / demonic or just the same as usual
dependent on your mindset . . . :D

I have been using this remaster . . .
http://tmxxine.com/wik/wikka.php?wakka= ... xineVision
(it is just NOP 3.01 with a piece of software autostarting))

. . . the autostarting did not work until I rebooted
but now the main program - NAP - is coming up :)

Opera however seems very slow (which is odd) :?
Twice it has crashed :cry:

I am running with 512MB of Ram - that should be OK?

Any clues :?:
No doubt I have done something clueless again . . . :oops:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

richhard

#125 Post by richhard »

Hi Gray,

thanks a lot, Gparted is back again!!

I ran the CD/DVD drive wizard (which I did not knew)
but with xine I still have problems:
in principle it is working perfect now, :)
but there is still some kind of black magic behind :(

after click to play DVD, I never know in advance, if it will stop with the message:
--> the source can't be read ....
with "more..." --> audio_decoder. error, unknown buffertype .....
or if it will do the job.
but sometimes it really works perfect !!

==> any idea, how to tweak this would be welcome :shock: