VideoLAN 0.8.6 media player

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
tempestuous

VideoLAN 0.8.6 media player

#1 Post by tempestuous »

Thanks to MU, this dotpup is hosted here - http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Multimedia/VLC-0.8.6.pup
VideoLAN's gui has many dependencies, so this package is LARGE: 17MB, 47MB installed.
All necessary libraries are contained in the dotpup except one; LIRC (Linux Infrared Remote Control). I provided this library as a separate dotpup because it includes kernel-specific modules - http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Multimedia/li ... 6.18.1.pup
So the LIRC dotpup is ONLY compatible with Puppy 2.12 and up.

VLC is reported by some users as having good video playback performance on low-powered PC's.
But it has the same video output options as MPlayer and Xine, namely XVideo (for Xorg) and X11 (for Xvesa) so I can't see how it can be any better.
I tried it on a Pentium 1, and I think MPlayer's performance is noticeably better.
But who knows? Maybe it works better with certain graphics cards?

I created the VLC Menu entry to launch with the option "--alsadev=hw:0,1" because this is the only way I could get sound to work. If others experience no sound, try to launch vlc from the commandline without the "alsadev" parameter. This will default to audio device 0,0.
Last edited by tempestuous on Sat 23 Dec 2006, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.

john biles

#2 Post by john biles »

Hello tempestuous,
Your dotpups worked no problem and installed fine in Puppy 2.10
Thank you for taking the time to make it. I will use it and see how it goes! :D
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

redrum

#3 Post by redrum »

Thanks a lot for this !! It doesn't matter that is big filesize. Many users use puppy because is lightweight and very expandable. Size matters not !!!

disciple

#4 Post by disciple »

It seems to me that vlc is a little more reliable than Mplayer, but Mplayer is actually a little faster. But if X11 video output is for xvesa and Xvideo for Xorg, why does VLC only ever work in Xorg (and several VLC versions) with X11 output?

Uriens

#5 Post by Uriens »

I tried to install the dotpup. Woking fine. But when I want to launch the VLC - Client I get this error:

Code: Select all

Error while loading shared libaries: libstdc++.so.6
I have puppy 2.1 running and there is also a file libstdc++.so.5. It's the wrong version. But how can I install the newer one or setup vlc to use this one (if possible)? Does anybody have an idea, how get vlc working?

Thx.

disciple

#6 Post by disciple »

Try this. Download it into /usr/lib then right click in ROX - xterm here
and to extract it type: tar -xf libstdc++.so.6.0.3.tar

It should work, but I can't guarantee that it will, as I'm running Grafpup which is based on Puppy 1.04 so the lib might not be compatible with your puppy (I don't really understand these things). Also, I'm one of the people that get strange vertical lines on their display with VLC 0.8.6 (0.8.5 worked fine). Give it a try though.
You might want to keep your libstdc++.so.5 instead of linking it to this one - I have both for some reason.
Attachments
libstdc++.so.6.0.3.tar
(20 KiB) Downloaded 831 times

Uriens

#7 Post by Uriens »

Hey Disciple,

thanks for your lib. Now I can start my VLC - Client over command line (bash# vlc). There, everthing works fine. I can play music and also video files. It's realy fast.

But I'm a little bit confused. When I want to start VLC over the GUI or by the command "run-VLC" I get this error:

bash-3.00$ run-VLC
bash-3.00$ VLC media player 0.8.6 Janus
[00000270] main interface error: no suitable interface module
[00000001] main private error: interface "(null)" initialization failed

You know this problem?

disciple

#8 Post by disciple »

Yes - I know that problem from when I was trying to make a dotpup of VLC 0.8.5. I can't remember exactly what it was, but I think it might mean you're missing a lib with something to do with wxwidgets or something.
I have to go to work now, but I'll see if I can duplicate your problem this evening - do you have Puppy 2.10? (not 2.01)

Uriens

#9 Post by Uriens »

I've got the following version: Linux puppypc 2.6.16.7
So I think it's from puppy 2.01 series.

Thank you for your help. Maybe I get some additional information about the problem. But I will go to bed soon ;-)

basslord1124

#10 Post by basslord1124 »

I will have to check that out then. I used VLC with Windows and was very impressed with it. Thanks for the link. :)

muggins

#11 Post by muggins »

Uriens,

to find which library files vlc needs, & which are missing from your system, you just have to change directory to where the vlc executables are on your computer, (maybe /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin), and, ( i think, from memory, the main program executable is vlc), type ldd vlc

then if you're missing a particular library file, do a forum search, or google.

Uriens

#12 Post by Uriens »

Muggins,

thanks for your help.

I tried your proposal, but there is no missing library in relation to vlc. I think vlc itself missed something.

The command ldd vlc had this results:

sh-3.00# ldd vlc
linux-gate.so.1 => (0xffffe000)
librt.so.1 => /lib/librt.so.1 (0xb7fd8000)
libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0xb7f85000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xb7f81000)
libiconv.so.2 => /usr/lib/libiconv.so.2 (0xb7ea3000)
libdvbpsi.so.4 => /usr/lib/libdvbpsi.so.4 (0xb7e98000)
libtheora.so.0 => /usr/lib/libtheora.so.0 (0xb7e73000)
libogg.so.0 => /usr/lib/libogg.so.0 (0xb7e6f000)
libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0xb7d88000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0xb7d65000)
libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xb7d5d000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb7c40000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7feb000)

But every library of this is installed. Because the programm runs without errors at cli, the possibility of missing wxwidgets is high. But how can I find these dependencies?

muggins

#13 Post by muggins »

the plot thickens!...we'll have to wait for mu, who wears the pup-wx hat, amongst the many other puppy-hats he wears!

Uriens

#14 Post by Uriens »

OK, there is a possibility to start the menu over cli.

menu on
[00000270] main interface error: osd_MenuNext failed
menu: returned 0 (no error)

mikeb

#15 Post by mikeb »

Excellent ... the only player that I can get to watch web tv with :D .

I had to set the audio device manually in preferences (was 0,0 in my case).puppy 2.12.

One question..there seems to be no goom plugin....I miss it so :cry:

generally nice one.............big cheers

regards

mike

tempestuous

#16 Post by tempestuous »

mikeb wrote:the only player that I can get to watch web tv with
What websites? Give me an example, and I will make sure that MPlayer can play it, too.
mikeb wrote:One question..there seems to be no goom plugin....
No, I disabled goom in the configuration. It would need to be recompiled again, and I have reformatted my hard drive since then. I don't have all the libraries installed, and I don't want to go through that process again.

lvds

#17 Post by lvds »

tempestuous wrote:
mikeb wrote:the only player that I can get to watch web tv with
What websites? Give me an example, and I will make sure that MPlayer can play it, too.
http://www.beelinetv.com/

http://fr.wwitv.com/

tempestuous

#18 Post by tempestuous »

Well I tried a selection of video streams, including WindowsMedia/Real/QuickTime, from http://www.beelinetv.com/ and they all played fine with MPlayer.

... but I was more interested in a specific website or stream type that mikeb may have been referring to. There can be particular quirks with certain video streams.

lvds

#19 Post by lvds »

hello tempestuous,

by running mplayer embended inside firefox windows it gaves me bad results, when the browser does not simply crash, mplayer does not work, or stops working after a while. Though it seems to runs fine when running alone, i could'nt have it to run ok as a firefox plugin. I run mplayer108 and i added the big codecs pack and i did install plugin. Perhaps i did something wrong ?

I tested on a few distro but had same results...

Best regards,
Laurent.
Last edited by lvds on Tue 20 Feb 2007, 06:25, edited 1 time in total.

mikeb

#20 Post by mikeb »

Hello again...
Well it is xine which is picky about a lot of the windows media streams.(puppy 2.12)..many listed on wwitv..not sure what the difference is (yet)

The problem with mplayer (using regression 2.02) is that with any stream I get 'file not found (url)' from the command line. Mozplugger just shows blank...local files play no problem. Obviously this should not be the case but poking around I couldn't find a solution :(
I have a direct connection to the net.

I tried vlc 0.8.6 in the same distro ....no gui but worked from cli for some things but generally too many missing libraries....0.8.6 is quite a mess ..I can understand your apprehension...
I tried a slackware package for 0.8.5 ...very neat..sat self contained in its own folder...9meg and only needed libvorbisenc to run with gui ...worked with some of the alternative skins too...a world of difference...wmv3 for windows only unfortunately.
(the slackware package for 0.8.6 is the same confusing library lacking mess..playing with the source code showed why :( ..again I can see why you left goom out.)

Oh yes..one last question...are the contents of /usr/lib/live needed...they looked source like to me...I deleted them with no apparent loss of function(could be something I haven't tried yet) ..without this folder the dotpup drops to a more reasonable 12.5 meg?

regards from a puppy addict(who isn't)

mike