HSF/HCF softmodem dotpup packages

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
mouldy

#31 Post by mouldy »

jcoder24 wrote:
mouldy

Comment out the lines referred to in this post and see what happens. You can also try testing the drivers with a new pup001 file.

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=37949#37949
Those lines dont exist and unfortunately I tried this out on a type2 install so no pup file to change. In future think I will try new stuff out on a type1 so can just play with disposable pup files. Ok though, I was going to upgrade to puppy2 when its stablized anyhow.

swear000

Conexant HSF of INSPIRON 6000

#32 Post by swear000 »

The HSF drivers are very useful for some modems but after looking through the config file I noticed that there was not an entry for my modem: Conexant D110 MDC (8086:266D). I did find more recent source that did contain an entry for the 8086:266D on the Linuxant website. However, the puppy installer does not want to accept the installation script. So I was wondering if there was a way to re-compile the dot pup to include the 8086:266D and thought I would ask you guys. I guess if make and gcc were included with the puppy distribution, I could attempt to build the modules locally. :D

jcoder24

#33 Post by jcoder24 »

In order to compile you need to download the user_dev.sfs file to your home folder. Reboot and you should have access to the majority of tools needed to compile.

NB The drivers I've upload were compiled in Vector Linux. I tried compiling them under puppy but got a few errors and didn't bother to troubleshoot it.

sccat

#34 Post by sccat »

Can this work in Puppy 2.0?

Thanks.

md_jamil

Puppy 2.02 modem detection

#35 Post by md_jamil »

Hello all

I am new to linux world so please advise in lay man or windows way. I have tried first DSL then Puppy on several computers. Had problems with all types of device drivers display sound modem and printer. Puppy autoconfigures display and sound so no complaints. But I could not get modem and printer to work printer HP all in one psc 1513 is not on printer list and HSF modem is not detected at all. I follow this forum to run dotpup . After telling me device ids it says restart puppy. I did that and there was a new entry in setup for HSF modem when I click it it say no hsf modem found on the system and exits. I have the HSF driver but I dont really know how to manually or auto install . Please help

muggins

#36 Post by muggins »

as far as i know jcoder's hsf/hcf modem dotpup only works for puppy1xxx versions, not for 2xxx series.
Last edited by muggins on Tue 12 Sep 2006, 07:42, edited 1 time in total.

md_jamil

Puppy 2.02 modem detection

#37 Post by md_jamil »

well
If someone has puppy 2.02 with no pci modem or usb printer support. what is it for then if you cant go to internet to download anything or print what ever you typed. its only a game machine then isnt it. I would appreciate it very much if someone can solve modem or printer problem

muggins

#38 Post by muggins »

i understand your frustration, but until hsf drivers are released for 2.6 kernel, or somebody does a hack, i think your best option is to run a pup1xxx version. (depending how you've got 2.02 installed you can have both as they can coexist, then you can use pup1xxx for net).

there is a free driver for 2.6 kernel, from linuxant ( http://www.linuxant.com/company/),
but i think it's at reduced speed. my sister has a hsf winmodem on her computer, and uses pup1.08, and jcoder's dotpup, to surf net quite happily.

as to printer, i can only suggest you look at this link, regarding cups:

http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic ... light=cups
Last edited by muggins on Thu 14 Sep 2006, 04:46, edited 1 time in total.

md_jamil

#39 Post by md_jamil »

Thanks for help I got the driver its fine reduced speed but the problem is I dont know how to install it. When I try installing it gives a message no HSF modem found and exits. what to do is there a way to manually copy driver in some directory and restart the computer and system detects HSF modem. For your information HSF modem is working fine under windows and reported by dotpup rightly as well. how can it report it rightly while it cannot detect it for installation. I am totally confused

muggins

#40 Post by muggins »

i think it depends which package you downloaded. i don't have a hsf modem to test this on, but suspect the best option is the package with the installer, (otherwise i think you would need the devx_202.sfs & need to ./configure, make & make install). the installer package is here:

http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/dow ... taller.php

maybe try running this. (by the way the site mentions that this is speed limited to 14.4Kbps, but that the 56K version is available for $US20)

jcoder24

#41 Post by jcoder24 »

To compile hcf/hsf drivers for puppy2 see link http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=69034#69034

md_jamil

hsf modem driver

#42 Post by md_jamil »

Thanks guys for all that information I finally got my modem to dial with just one final ditch I think. Here is the log information can anybody please help PPP negotiation detected.
--> Starting pppd at Tue Sep 26 20:05:29 2006
--> pid of pppd: 2331
--> Disconnecting at Tue Sep 26 20:05:29 2006
--> The PPP daemon has died: pppd options error (exit code = 2)
--> man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail.
--> I guess that's it for now, exiting
--> The PPP daemon has died. (exit code = 2)

Another little question somebody said to hack linuxant driver use any hex editor to change so and so value, question is, is there a hex editor in puppy 2.02 or can you do it in console if so how

muggins

#43 Post by muggins »

i don't have a clue why your ppp is dying, but here's a link to g2's hexedit pup:

http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic ... ht=hexedit

tempestuous

Re: hsf modem driver

#44 Post by tempestuous »

md_jamil wrote:--> The PPP daemon has died. (exit code = 2)
I once had a similar problem, and it turned out to be a password authentication issue ... my ISP's technical support department knew nothing about it!
The solution was to modify these 2 files; /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and /etc/ppp/chap-secrets
to include this line of text:

Code: Select all

<myusername> * <mypassword>
Obviously replace <myusername> and <mypassword>, and don't forget the asterisk in the middle.

md_jamil

hsf modem driver

#45 Post by md_jamil »

I started again from a fresh copy installed modem drivers amended secret files as advised, things are changed a bit modem dials pppd stars and connection established counter running but browser not resolving any addresses as if no connection. Read through log files it turned out that ppp connection is not negotiated properly. Modem hangsup after 30 secs.
-> Looks like a login prompt.
--> Sending: test
test
password:
--> Looks like a password prompt.
--> Sending: (password)
Exiting shell, and starting PPP session.
--> Don't know what to do! Starting pppd and hoping for the best.
--> Starting pppd at Mon Oct 2 21:15:42 2006
--> pid of pppd: 4586
--> Disconnecting at Mon Oct 2 21:15:53 2006
--> The PPP daemon has died: A modem hung up the phone (exit code = 16)
--> man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail.
--> Try again and look into /var/log/messages and the wvdial and pppd man pages for more information.

I did user/sbins/pppsetup hers the log
sh-3.1# pppsetup
You previously used "Modem Wizard" and chose /dev/ttyS0
HOWEVER, /dev/modem has been linked to this, so PLEASE
type "modem" when asked below for the modem device...
/usr/sbin/pppsetup: line 13: /usr/sbin/ppp: No such file or directory
Press ENTER key to continue...
sh-3.1#
Read some where to do a "make install" tried that from /etc/ppp folder with info below
sh-3.1# make install
make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.
sh-3.1#
what to do next, is ppp part of the puppy 2.02 or you have to download it saperately like hsf modem drivers and compile.
Another little question I can print from my HP all in one PSC 1513, by selecting PSC1600 because 1513 is not listed, but what about scanning how to scan a document if at all possible or its not suppoted?

muggins

#46 Post by muggins »

just a few things...have you done ./configure,make. & thenmake install? also i thought, (i'm guessing here), that HSF modems linked /dev/modem with something other than ttyS?, like /dev/ttySHSF0?

from memory, with hsf modems, you have to run hsfconfig.

i'm not sure about you're printer...is it a combined printer/scanner? linuxprinting.org recommmends the hpijs driver for the 1510. they also have a ppd file for the 1510:

http://linuxprinting.org/show_printer.c ... P-PSC_1510

have you tried pakt's cups script?

for scanners puppy has the pupgets sane_backends & xsane gui frontend.

md_jamil

hsf modem driver

#47 Post by md_jamil »

Thanks for help, yes hsf modem is SHSF0 thats all fine and working.
modem is working fine it dials connects script end starts pppd it negotiates a ppp session connection icon appears in bottom to tell you that connectivity is there, but when you start browser nothing resolves like no connection. Look at status tab of connection just an idle connection no bites received just 2 sometimes 4 packets sent and thats all no in out addresses . Look at my previous post I coppied log info. Its just an idle connection. I use gnome ppp dialer which is readly on the desk top. It seems that its not fetching anything from ISP's DHCP server. I assume it works like windows XP these days, you dont have to specify domain proxy or anything just leave everything to auto just supply username and password thats what I am doing. Do I have to fill in domain name?. When Gnome didnt work then I tried all the other dialers with no luck. Please note that I am totally new to Linux environment dont assume that I know anything type complete path for commands. I click console on desktop and type ./configure,make it say no file or directory. I have devx as you know its needed for compiling HSF modem driver went through hsfconfig also worked fine. Modem sounds, dials ok why doesnt it negociate a good ppp session?

md_jamil

hsf modem driver

#48 Post by md_jamil »

Thanks for help, yes hsf modem is SHSF0 thats all fine and working.
modem is working fine it dials connects script end starts pppd it negotiates a ppp session connection icon appears in bottom to tell you that connectivity is there, but when you start browser nothing resolves like no connection. Look at status tab of connection just an idle connection no bites received just 2 sometimes 4 packets sent and thats all no in out addresses . Look at my previous post I coppied log info. Its just an idle connection. I use gnome ppp dialer which is readly on the desk top. It seems that its not fetching anything from ISP's DHCP server. I assume it works like windows XP these days, you dont have to specify domain proxy or anything just leave everything to auto just supply username and password thats what I am doing. Do I have to fill in domain name?. When Gnome didnt work then I tried all the other dialers with no luck. Please note that I am totally new to Linux environment dont assume that I know anything type complete path for commands. I click console on desktop and type ./configure,make it say no file or directory. I have devx as you know its needed for compiling HSF modem driver went through hsfconfig also worked fine. Modem sounds, dials ok why doesnt it negociate a good ppp session?

tempestuous

#49 Post by tempestuous »

Sometimes nameservers need to be manually configured. Find out the IP addresses of your Internet Service Provider's nameservers, they're usually listed on their technical support web page, then set up your /etc/resolv.conf file like this -

nameserver 123.456.789.1
nameserver 123.456.789.2

muggins

#50 Post by muggins »

it dials connects script end starts pppd it negotiates a ppp session connection icon appears in bottom to tell you that connectivity is there, but when you start browser nothing resolves like no connection. Look at status tab of connection just an idle connection no bites received just 2 sometimes 4 packets sent and thats all no in out addresses .
i had similar problem with my ltmodem & pup2.01. as i had no idea what was problem/solution i went back to pupversion that i knew worked for my setup, 1.08. maybe try tempestuous's suggestion of using your isp's dns addresses & see if that does anything.