HSF/HCF softmodem dotpup packages

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
jcoder24

#16 Post by jcoder24 »

gliezl wrote:jcoder24, whenever I reboot Puppy, I always go the the HCF modem setup to install again the drivers. Can this be made permanent? I already installed Puppy in the HD. :(
That is due to the files created in /dev not persisting across reboots. The easiest fix would be to call /usr/local/bin/cnxtcfg from one of the startup scripts prob. rc.network. Maybe someone can suggest if another rc.x file would be better. Also if anyone knows howto to make the /dev additions persistent across reboots drop me a reply.

psr1

HCF works great

#17 Post by psr1 »

Greetings:
I have a Conexant HCF 56k Data/Fax/Voice Modem (Worldwide) (rev 8) modem and the HCF drivers work great...using V.92 drivers. An excellent addition. Thank you vey much.

PSR1 - a Happy Camper.

syzygy

hsf modems

#18 Post by syzygy »

hi jcoder24,

my sis's xp machine had a combo of spyware, trojans & sassa, tried eradicating them but they keep lurking, talked her into me nuking her hard drive & trying linux.

with puppy & your hsf dotpups, & puppy, could get her conexant modem working but, as mentioned previously, have to re-install on reboot.

tried doing :-
"rm /dev/modem
ln -s /dev/ttyHSFS0 /dev/modem"

in /etc/rc.d/rc.local, but no joy, then tried similar with ../cnxtcfg, but again no luck. will try something else t'morro. anyone else any success?

thanx

jcoder24

#19 Post by jcoder24 »

Try adding cnxtcfg or /usr/local/bin/cnxtcfg instead of ../cnxtcfg to rc.local.

The thing about creating the links manually is that there is a number of other steps which has to be done first. This means that you would have to reproduce a substantial section of the cnxtcfg script. However, I've included them below just in case you still have problems with the first suggestion. NB these commands haven't been tested from rc.local.

<------------BEGIN------------>

HSF="1"
# set to "0" if you have a hcf modem
modem="hsf"
# set to "hcf" if you have a hcf modem
mdev="HSF"
# set to "HCF" if you have a hcf modem

# Due to segmentation errors when inserting hcfpciserial we
# have to temporarily move the current.cty file until after
# the modules are inserted

if [ -f /etc/$modem/current.cty ]; then
mv /etc/$modem/current.cty /etc/$modem/current.cty.o
fi

#-----------------------------------------------------------
# Load modules for detected modem

echo >> /etc/modules.conf
echo alias /dev/ttyS"$mdev"* "$modem"serial >> /etc/modules.conf
echo alias char-major-241 "$modem"serial >> /etc/modules.conf
echo alias /dev/ttyCUA* "$modem"serial >> /etc/modules.conf
echo alias char-major-242 "$modem"serial >> /etc/modules.conf
echo alias /dev/modem "$modem"serial >> /etc/modules.conf
#echo options "$modem"serial serialmajor=240 calloutmajor=241 >> /etc/modules.conf

if [ `lsmod | grep -ic $modem` -eq 0 ] #check if modules loaded already
then
insmod "$modem"osspec
if [ "$HSF" -gt 0 ] ; then insmod hsfbasic2 ; fi
insmod "$modem"engine
insmod "$modem"serial
fi

if [ -f /etc/$modem/current.cty.o ]; then
mv /etc/$modem/current.cty.o /etc/$modem/current.cty
fi

# Setup required devices

rm -f /dev/modem /dev/cua"$mdev"0 /dev/ttyS"$mdev"0 2>/dev/null
"$modem"config -serial

dialog --no-shadow --msgbox "$mdev modem successfully installed." 6 37

<------------END------------>

jcoder24

#20 Post by jcoder24 »

BTW after you are sure that it is working you can comment out the 'dialog' commands from the cnxtcfg script or the rc.local as entered in the previous post. In the next version of the packages I will add an option to install to rc.local.

syzygy

#21 Post by syzygy »

jcoder24,

finally got around to adding your suggested script to rc.local, but no success.upon reboot, again had to reinstall hsf modem. i'll take another look at install script & try a workaround.

cheers

jcoder24

#22 Post by jcoder24 »

*** Edited ***

I've tested the following successfully

edit /etc/rc.d/rc.local and add one of the following lines depending on your modem.

hsfconfig --serial #for HSF modems
or
hcfpciconfig --serial # for HCF modems

This adds approx 18 seconds to the boot time for puppy on my AMD Athlon 650 MHz.

I'll add a facilitiy to add this option to the rc.local file in the next version of dotpups and pupgets.

syzygy

#23 Post by syzygy »

well done jcoder24,

tested the rc.local script today & it works a treat.

thankyou.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#24 Post by Flash »

jcoder, perphaps you could review and edit the subject line of this thread. Don't you think 'RC1' needs to be updated?

jcoder24

#25 Post by jcoder24 »

Agreed. I've update the subject line.

jcoder24

#26 Post by jcoder24 »

I've updated the original packages and added a dotpup to configure modem on startup for those who downloaded the previous version of the dotpups. The pupget package will be updated soon.

NB I have done limited testing of these since the changes are minor. Hopefully there shouldn't be any problems.

Changelog

Installation instructions displayed when installing dotpup and stored in /root/CNXT_INSTALL.txt for reference.

Option to setup modem on boot added to the modem setup/configuration script.

LICENSE file include in /usr/lib/hsf or /usr/lib/hcfpci depending on your modem.

minor configuration script corrections
Attachments
start_modem.pup
If you have downloaded the previous dotpups, download this file to have the modem auto config whilst booting.
(6.16 KiB) Downloaded 875 times
Last edited by jcoder24 on Sun 06 Nov 2005, 03:23, edited 1 time in total.

SPAAAAAAAM

#27 Post by Guest »

THIS IS SPAM, ADMIN PLEASE REMOVE

[quote][/quote]

I could not agree with you more.

gamfa

#28 Post by gamfa »

I had a bit of a problem with the hcf/hsf drivers. When you cat for the terms hSF and HCF in cnxtcfg, it does not pick up my conexant modem. "cat /proc/pci" gives the following on my modem...

Bus 2, device 5, function 0:
Communication controller: PCI device 14f1:1085 (Conexant) (rev 137).
IRQ 11.
Master Capable. Latency=32.
Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xfeaf0000 [0xfeafffff].
I/O at 0xc400 [0xc407].

As you can see, no "hcf" in the output. Once I discovered this, I changed the grep" from "HCF" to "conexant" and things went fine from there.

Other people might have the same problem with this.

mouldy

#29 Post by mouldy »

Um, tried your last hcf driver. Pup file installed, I rebooted. Get quick glimpse of desktop and am thrown back to command line. Neither xwin nor startx will start xwindows again. However if I reboot, I again get quick glimpse of desktop.

Cant run dotpup uninstall from command line. What do I delete to stop driver from installing or whatever its doing to crash xwindows?

jcoder24

#30 Post by jcoder24 »

Gamfa

Thanks, I'll try to see how best I can accomodate this into the drivers packages.

mouldy

Comment out the lines referred to in this post and see what happens. You can also try testing the drivers with a new pup001 file.

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=37949#37949

mouldy

#31 Post by mouldy »

jcoder24 wrote:
mouldy

Comment out the lines referred to in this post and see what happens. You can also try testing the drivers with a new pup001 file.

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=37949#37949
Those lines dont exist and unfortunately I tried this out on a type2 install so no pup file to change. In future think I will try new stuff out on a type1 so can just play with disposable pup files. Ok though, I was going to upgrade to puppy2 when its stablized anyhow.

swear000

Conexant HSF of INSPIRON 6000

#32 Post by swear000 »

The HSF drivers are very useful for some modems but after looking through the config file I noticed that there was not an entry for my modem: Conexant D110 MDC (8086:266D). I did find more recent source that did contain an entry for the 8086:266D on the Linuxant website. However, the puppy installer does not want to accept the installation script. So I was wondering if there was a way to re-compile the dot pup to include the 8086:266D and thought I would ask you guys. I guess if make and gcc were included with the puppy distribution, I could attempt to build the modules locally. :D

jcoder24

#33 Post by jcoder24 »

In order to compile you need to download the user_dev.sfs file to your home folder. Reboot and you should have access to the majority of tools needed to compile.

NB The drivers I've upload were compiled in Vector Linux. I tried compiling them under puppy but got a few errors and didn't bother to troubleshoot it.

sccat

#34 Post by sccat »

Can this work in Puppy 2.0?

Thanks.

md_jamil

Puppy 2.02 modem detection

#35 Post by md_jamil »

Hello all

I am new to linux world so please advise in lay man or windows way. I have tried first DSL then Puppy on several computers. Had problems with all types of device drivers display sound modem and printer. Puppy autoconfigures display and sound so no complaints. But I could not get modem and printer to work printer HP all in one psc 1513 is not on printer list and HSF modem is not detected at all. I follow this forum to run dotpup . After telling me device ids it says restart puppy. I did that and there was a new entry in setup for HSF modem when I click it it say no hsf modem found on the system and exits. I have the HSF driver but I dont really know how to manually or auto install . Please help