How to use Wakepup2 to boot Puppy 3.00 in an NTFS partition

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Crash

How to use Wakepup2 to boot Puppy 3.00 in an NTFS partition

#1 Post by Crash »

A frugal installation of Puppy 3.00 can reside on an NTFS partition and be booted up by Wakepup2 without too much trouble. Here are the steps I took:

First, I defragged the NTFS partition. This was by far the most time consuming step. It took over an hour.

Next, copy the four Puppy files ( pup_300.sfs, zdrv_300.sfs, vmlinuz, and initrd.gz ) and the "IDEHD" marker file to the "\" directory of the NTFS partition.

Next, reboot using the Wakepup2 floppy. Choose option 9. This drops you into the command prompt.

Next, type "\driver\ntfs\ntfsdos" to invoke the NTFS driver. You should get a message that it saw the NTFS partition. In my case it was the D: drive.

Type "autoexec" to continue the process. Wakepup2 should find the IDEHD marker file.

Type option 1 and you should boot into Puppy on the NTFS partition.

When you shut down for the first time, you can save the pupsave file on the NTFS partition if you wish.

I have tried this several times and so far everything seems OK both on the Puppy side and on the Windows XP side. They do not appear to interfere with each other.

This also works with Puppy 3.00 in a subdirectory. I initially tested it in the "\" directory, then created a subdirectory, and moved the files to the subdirectory. You have to specify the subdirectory when Wakepup2 prompts you.

Caveat: I am using Windows XP on the NTFS partition. Unknown mysterious results may take place on a computer that has Vista on its NTFS partition.

///

Edited Oct. 20:

This method works fine for Puppy 3.01, and should work for future 3.xx versions.

///

Edited Oct. 23:

Please also see this thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22921

///