SOLVED - [kind of] 3.0 Shared Key Wireless Error

Please post any bugs you have found
tempestuous

#61 Post by tempestuous »

Sure, but normally you would try each command one at a time until you know they all work.
Once you know the sequence works, create a new text document (in Geany, for example) with this at the top

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
Then add your commands, and save the file. Let's say we call it "myscript.sh"
Now we just need to make this script executable -

chmod 775 myscript.sh
myscript.sh is then an executable script.

tempestuous

#62 Post by tempestuous »

Let me add some extra information before you spend too much time fruitlessly.

Forget about the iwpriv command. That is supposed to work around an incompatibility problem between the ath_pci driver and wpa_supplicant, but since we know that you can establish a connection using the Wizard, this problem should not be affecting you.

By examining the wpa_supplicant code in the Wizard (which was written by rarsa) I just remembered an important configuration parameter: ap_scan
You will see that the default ap_scan value in /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf is 2. But the value can also be 0 or 1, and I remember that this can be a critical setting. I seem to remember that it relates to scanning by the driver / scanning by wpa_supplicant / no scanning.
rarsa's code has some clever way of working out the optimum value for your driver, but you can just experiment with using 0 and 1.

laptopnewbee

#63 Post by laptopnewbee »

having read the bulk of this thread, and seeing that some seem to still be having trouble, i will add a 'for what it's worth' here.

in 2.13 i was able to use wpa with the atheros chipset using the network wizard (version 2.14.8 ). i also got best connection results using the win98 drivers and ndiswrapper. there is one thing that i had to do before ndiawrapper would work though, and i don't know if it was due to the netgear driver package, or if it is the same with all atheros driver packages. this one thing is that i had to open xterm and use the source command on the .cat file in the package.

# source <filename>.cat
i was able to do this by mounting the cd for the card, and navigating to the win98 folder then opening the xterm window there. this put usable .inf and .sys files in my puppy partition which would have to be the ones used when i inserted them in ndiswrapper for use from the wizard. this also gave me a single blinky using the interface name 'wlan0'.

since my pcmcia slot went south before 2.17 came out i can't test any of this with the newer kernel myself, but i offer this info so that someone with working equipment can test it all out. i do understand that there may be components of that version of the wizard which are not compatable with the new kernel, but maybe such things can be overcome with a little recompiling.
so much to learn, so late a start.

friedsonjm

#64 Post by friedsonjm »

After way too much experimentation, I'm up on WPA. Here is what I found with my Atheros-based Dlink G630 card:

1. Can't use an 8-digit key, must be at least 9, or you get the "must be between 8 and 63 digits" error. I'm not talking about using wpa_passphrase, I'm referring to the number of digits in the pre-shared key entry you make in the wizard.

2. WPS-TKIP, sometimes known as WPA personal, does not work. Has to be WPA2. I'm using the 'personal' version, not the 'enterprise' version.

3. The Linux driver in Puppy works at the office.. but not at home! This, despite both routers being Linksys, both on WPA2, etc.

4. Using ndiswrapper, the windoze driver does work with my system at home, in WPA2 mode, with at least a 9-digit key, etc. Note, the .inf file is CVN3AB.inf 16K 08:19:00 13 May 2005.

I'm going to have to see if the Windoze driver will work at work; switching back and forth is more trouble than I want to go through!

YMMV, of course...

jf