Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 01 Oct 2014, 10:55
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
SOLVED - [kind of] 3.0 Shared Key Wireless Error
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 2 of 5 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
tempestuous

PostPosted: Tue 16 Oct 2007, 21:34    Post_subject:  

peterw,
I suggest you try the WPA commands manually, so we can locate the problem.
First ope the configuration file /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf in geany (or wpa_supplicant2.conf for WPA2) and modify it to include your SSID and Personal Security Key (PSK).
The PSK can be either passphrase or hex key.
Now run thes commands -
Code:
ifconfig ath0 up
rm /var/run/wpa_supplicant/*
wpa_supplicant -i ath0 -D wext -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -dd

This process can take up to 30 seconds. If it runs without error, you can now open a second command prompt and run this
Code:
rm /etc/dhcpc/*.pid
dhcpcd -t 30 -h puppypc -d ath0
peterw

PostPosted: Wed 17 Oct 2007, 15:12    Post_subject: WPA Atheros
Sub_title: Can't connecte WPA to Atheros

Thanks for the help tempestuos. It is much appreciated by strugglers such as myself.

I have tried your suggestions with the following results:

/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf already had the SSID and hex key from previous attempts to get connected using the wizard. After a few attempts following the instructions with no joy I added the SSID and passphrase to the wpa_supplicant2.conf in the hope that it might help.

To ensure that the situation was not being confused by old commands I frequently rebooted to refresh the starting point.

Most of the time after typing "ifconfig ath0 up" and enter the prompt reappeared, although on some occasions I sometimes got the response "ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS :no such device".

On the occasions when I got the prompt the "rm /var/run/wpa_supplicant/*" command resulted in this response "rm: cannot remove 'var/run/wpa_supplicant/*': no such file or directory.

If I ignored this and pushed on with the "wpa_ ......conf -dd" command, I got the response that it was trying "WPA enabled AP" and "non-WPA AP" every 5 seconds without success.

I had to shut down the terminal to regain control of the process.

Blinky tells me that wifi0 is transmitting and receiving something. Ie For example 47.08 kB sent and 238 bytes received.

I know my Atheros card works with XP.

Just a thought, the processor is a AMD Turion 64 bit Mobile one and I am assuming it is compatable with Puppy. (Some distros have 64 bit versions)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Wed 17 Oct 2007, 20:17    Post_subject:  

Quote:
Just a thought, the processor is a AMD Turion 64 bit Mobile one and I am assuming it is compatable with Puppy. (Some distros have 64 bit versions)

It shouldn't be a problem. AFAIK, most if not all 64 bit processors include support for 32 bit operating systems. The thing to remember is that if you run a 32 bit operating system on a 64 bit processor, you need to use the 32 bit drivers. 64 bit drivers are only for a 64 bit operating system.

My own processor is 64 bit, but I haven't had any issues running Puppy on it, with drivers for all sorts of gadgets.

I don't know anything worth stating about WPA, but one thing you said does send up a red flag in my mind:
Quote:
Blinky tells me that wifi0 is transmitting

Blinky is saying you're using wifi0. But the commands you're using are for ath0. So it makes me wonder if maybe some other script has been automatically configuring the card as wifi0, and thus messing up your attempts to use it as ath0.

tempestuous

PostPosted: Wed 17 Oct 2007, 20:51    Post_subject: Re: WPA Atheros
Sub_title: Can't connecte WPA to Atheros

Well the good news is that the Network Wizard is not at fault.

peterw wrote:
sometimes got the response "ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS :no such device".

That means that the ath0 interface does not exist, probably because Puppy did not automatically load the ath_pci module. So let's deal with that problem by making the first command this -
Code:
modprobe ath_pci

Ignore the "wifi0" interface. This is just a quirk of the ath_pci driver, it's a "virtual" or "placeholder" interface.

peterw wrote:
rm: cannot remove 'var/run/wpa_supplicant/*': no such file or directory.

No problem. We just need to make sure that file doesn't exist before launching wpa_supplicant.

You need to find out for certain whether your wifi access point is using WPA or WPA2. If WPA2, you must adjust the contents of /etc/wpa_supplicant2.conf and then specify this configuration file in the wpa_supplicant command, as such -
Code:
wpa_supplicant -i ath0 -D wext -c /etc/wpa_supplicant2.conf -dd
friedsonjm

PostPosted: Thu 18 Oct 2007, 10:22    Post_subject:  

Wow... Puppy/WPA for Linux gurus only? WEP security is so busted that WPA is a must, and this is a distro that, IMHO, should work for most people, not only the skilled and enlightened few.

Best of luck to those who are working to fix this!

jf
tempestuous

PostPosted: Thu 18 Oct 2007, 11:56    Post_subject:  

I now suspect there may be a problem with the ath_pci driver, or maybe a problem with wpa_supplicant. It will take me a day or two to look into it.
friedsonjm

PostPosted: Thu 18 Oct 2007, 12:13    Post_subject:  

tempestuous wrote:
I now suspect there may be a problem with the ath_pci driver, or maybe a problem with wpa_supplicant. It will take me a day or two to look into it.

For what it is worth, the driver that PCLOS uses works OK, BUT, strangely enough, it is NOT as good as the Atheros driver that one gets under Windows.
A marginal connection - or none - with the Linux driver is much better when using Windows natively. I used a dual boot machine to test and verify this.

jf
peterw

PostPosted: Fri 19 Oct 2007, 01:49    Post_subject:  

Thanks for the help. Comments from all members are good. I will await the conclusions of tempestuous's investigation. I have been trying to get the Atheros catrd to work in Puppy since last July and if we get success I will be so thankful. At last someone with a much greater knowledge than I is looking at the problem.
tempestuous

PostPosted: Fri 19 Oct 2007, 16:42    Post_subject:  

Before I go to the trouble of compiling wpa_supplicant and ath_pci, I'm reminded of the need for encryption modules by forum member symx -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=147938#147938
In particular, he mentions the little-known "ecb" module.

So I think it's worth loading ALL wifi-related encryption modules -
Code:
modprobe arc4
modprobe ecb
modprobe crc32c
modprobe aes
modprobe michael_mic

I'm not sure exactly which of these modules are needed for WPA encryption, but it shouldn't hurt to load all of them.

Now load the ath_pci module and try the wpa_supplicant command again.
Barburo

PostPosted: Fri 19 Oct 2007, 18:20    Post_subject: WiFi still not connecting  

I just read pizzasgood post about 64 bit machines.
Still no joy getting my HP TX1000 connected but it uses AMD Turion 64 Dual core processor. I have Vista on this machine (it comes pre-installed) and Vista connects every boot with no problems.
In Puppy (3.01) I've tried the following (no wizard):
- Manually entering the commands suggested by tempetuous (can be a bit error prone).
- Using rarsa's suggestion and unloading and loading bcm43xx before starting - doesn't change anything.
- Executing a shell script of the commands (better control - same result "CTRL -EVENT-DISCONNECT - Disconnect Event - Remove Keys" repeated endlessly until I close the terminal).
- I've entered my passkey in the wpa_supplicant.conf and ...2.conf files as ascii (in quotes) and as Hex (output from the wpa_passphrase command cut and pasted).
- I've tried wpa_supplicant with both WPA and WPA2 (although I'm sure my router uses WPA2).

I've also tried the built-in puppy wizard numerous times and I'm pretty sure something is seriously amiss.
Hints: I get varying number of results from scanning for connections - sometimes just my own ssid, sometimes neighbours', sometimes mine is missing. (remember Vista always finds and connects so I don't think it's the router)
When I enter a valid 8 character ascii key for WPA2 I get an error message that the key must be 8 characters or 64 Hex.
If I cut and paste the hex key into the wizard it gets past the error message and tries to connect, but times out every time. It then checks to see if there's an "alive connection" and reports none.

Hope this may assist in diagnosing and solving the problem.
friedsonjm

PostPosted: Fri 19 Oct 2007, 18:43    Post_subject:  

You are getting the same results I am - and I'm using an old Crusoe processor laptop that emulates an Intel piece! Does not seem to matter how many bits... we still are not getting a bite.
jf
p.s. Yes, that was a joke, and yes, I'm still planning to keep my day job!
Nonetheless... bite [Puppy] byte [Computer] get it?
peterw

PostPosted: Sat 20 Oct 2007, 02:45    Post_subject:  

Hello tempestuous

Have checked my modem and believe it to be WPA since no mention of WPA2 which is a newer even more secure system.

Have modeprobed the list, arc4 to michael_mic ok

Then modprobe ath_pci

Then I ifconfig -a, and ath0 showed no RX or TX packets,
eth0 showed no RX or TX packets (I did have the ethernet cable unplugged), lo showed no RX or TX packets and wifi0-00 showed no RX and TX 305 packets.

pingged my router - no response

Then:
ifconfig ath0 up
rm /var/run/wpa_supplicant/*
wpa_ supplicant -i ath0 -D wext -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.cnf -dd
It responded:
Initializing interface 'ath0' conf '/etc/wpa_supplicant.cnf' driver 'wext' ctrl_interface 'N/A' bridge 'N/A'
configuration file ........ /etc/wpa_supplicant.cnf'.
Failed to add interface ath0
cancelling scan request
cancelling authentician timeout

Went back into /etc/wpa/supplicant file and changed hex password to password phrase.

Tried last section again and same result

Tried the new Ubuntu 7.10 i386 version and it manages to link happily with WPA Personal. Is there any clues here?
tempestuous

PostPosted: Sat 20 Oct 2007, 07:42    Post_subject:  

peterw,
I see a typographical error several times in your post; "wpa_supplicant.cnf"
It should be "wpa_supplicant.conf"

peterw wrote:
Tried the new Ubuntu 7.10 i386 version and it manages to link happily with WPA Personal. Is there any clues here?

Yes, run "lsmod" to see which encryption modules are loaded.
PaulBx1

PostPosted: Sun 21 Oct 2007, 00:15    Post_subject:  

And print out the wpa_supplicant.conf file as well, just to see what Ubuntu uses. And any associated scripts...

Probably won't turn up anything, but worth a look.
vientito

PostPosted: Sun 21 Oct 2007, 12:50    Post_subject:  

nice to know i am not alone in this struggle to get my friend's laptop on her wifi wpa-psk link. it seems that the connection wizard is still not mature yet for that purpose.

i guess i have to wait a month or two before things could get to be a bit more useable.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 2 of 5 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum