Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 27 Nov 2014, 09:16
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
Wireless 1390 WLAN (Dell D620 laptop)
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
canuk

PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct 2007, 20:04    Post_subject:  Wireless 1390 WLAN (Dell D620 laptop)
Sub_title: Can connect to wireless

On install, Puppy is using the bcm43xx module.
I can go to the Puppy Network Wizard and scan. I see networks, but see "Unable to connect to a wireless network" when I try and connect to a network.
After doing some reading, I thought that maybe I should use ndiswrapper to load bcmwl5 after downloading the Dell driver and unzipping it.
I get the same issue where I can scan available networks, but can't connect.
I have tried connecting to WPA and open networks.
Is there any known issue and/or work around for the Dell 1390 WLAN mini-card?
tlcstat

PostPosted: Sun 28 Oct 2007, 21:21    Post_subject: Dell B120 with Wiresless 1390 Express Card Working
Sub_title: Still need help!! but Dell B120 with Wiresless 1390 Express Card is working

Greetings,
I am a brand new Linux user. I have tried many Linux projects over the years but seemed to get stopped with the wireless problem. When I downloaded the Puppy 3.01 I fell in love with Linux for the first time especially with the EZ-Pup-3.01 Desktop loaded.
Getting this darned Dell 1390 Express card working has been a job though. I setup the Ndiswrapper with the new bcmwl5 driver. The driver would load but I couldn't get DHCP or scan a router. Finally I went to the Pet Install site and found a program called WAG 0.3.2 Wifi utility and installed it. It runs from the Console by typing "wag". When it listed my 1390 Express Card I clicked the SCAN button and !bravo the red light came on and it found my router. I then exited the wag program and went to the network wifi manager, clicked TEST and got a successful result. I then clicked the wireless button and gave the profile a name then clicked the SCAN button at the bottom and my router came up. I then clicked the SAVE button.
I then opened my browser and have very fast wifi. Possibly even faster than the lan.
Problem!! when I reboot my wifi doesn't come back up. I can go back to Wag and do a rescan and it is right back. This is something I can live with until the Linux crew gets this fixed. I have been waiting for 10 years now so I guess I can wait a while longer.
One more thing, I got a error from wag that said that my driver was compiled with version 22 and that wag only supports up to version 21. This didn't keep it form working though.

If anyone can tell my how to save my wifi settings after I get the card working I will be a very happy puppy.
Thanks

PS I am using a Dell B120 (el cheapo) with 256M Ram Integrated lan and Dell 1390 Express Card that plugs into a external Express slot. This use to be a PCMCIA slot on older models however the express slot is not a PCMCIA bridged device. They did away with PCMCIA because it was too slow.
I am booting from a wake puppy disk and have my puppy system on a 2Gig FAT32 partition. My other partition boots XP Pro.SP2. I repartition with Partition Magic from a Hirems 9.1 utility disk. My puppy will also run off the CD or USB but I like to keep my Save File on the HD.

This is off topic but if you can tell me if there is a C++
Gnu compiler that will run under puppy I would appreciated it.
tempestuous

PostPosted: Mon 29 Oct 2007, 00:14    Post_subject:  

rarsa reports that the bcm43xx module needs to be unloaded/reloaded to work properly
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22459

Seems like a much more simple (and elegant) solution than ndiswrapper.
tlcstat

PostPosted: Mon 29 Oct 2007, 11:09    Post_subject: RARSA Link
Sub_title: Vague at best for a newbie

Greetings,
The link "http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22459" seemed to have more problems than solutions. Especially for someone new to linux. I don't think I am going to rewrite the connection wizard right now. I have the linux driver blacklisted.
If you have some coherent instructions I can use to implement whatever they are talking about on that link I would appreciate it and would be glad to spend a couple of more days trying to get it to work.
Makes sense to me though that the driver could be having a timing problem and can't get loaded with all of its instructions. How to fix that is obscure at best.
Since you probably know something and I know nothing (at this point) please advise. I am using ndiswrapper with the latest drivers and am not using encryption. The RARSA link is starting to make sense though. the WAG program just lets me implement one instruction at a time so that the process is run slower. I would prefer to use the Linux driver though. *%@$* Michael Dell.
Thanks
jonyo

PostPosted: Mon 29 Oct 2007, 11:18    Post_subject: Re: Dell B120 with Wiresless 1390 Express Card Working
Sub_title: Still need help!! but Dell B120 with Wiresless 1390 Express Card is working

You may be having a small problem but you also may be the first to have made a wifi connection this way (by installing WAG 0.3.2) with pup v3.01!

Least I've not heard of it. Shocked

tlcstat wrote:
Problem!! when I reboot my wifi doesn't come back up. I can go back to Wag and do a rescan and it is right back. This is something I can live with until the Linux crew gets this fixed. I have been waiting for 10 years now so I guess I can wait a while longer.

Edited_time_total
tlcstat

PostPosted: Mon 29 Oct 2007, 12:14    Post_subject: Saving settings
Sub_title: Have working 1390 Express Card but need to save the settings for reboot.

Greetings,
The real issue for me now is just saving the settings so that my system will reboot with the changes. When I reboot my Puppy save file is unchanged. I am booting a Fat 32 drive with the WakePup disk for now. My save file in on the fat32 drive. If I need to do something different then I'm up to it.
I agree with all the heat on these forums that a native driver is better. However if I can just get this network to work in the first place then I can divorce that bloated MS$&*XP and move on. I am retired and have plenty of experience and time to solve all the other problems (data conversion etc).
Thanks
jonyo

PostPosted: Mon 29 Oct 2007, 12:24    Post_subject:  

wifi settings not being saved is a common problem that can usually be fixed but I don't quite understand how to go about it myself Embarassed so higher ups'll have to chime in on that.

In the meantime, this may help. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22469
tlcstat

PostPosted: Mon 29 Oct 2007, 12:34    Post_subject: Wifi logging
Sub_title: I'll give it a try

Greetings,
Thanks for the info Jonyo. I will fire up my puppy and give those instructions a try. If I have success with any of this I will post.
Thanks
tlcstat

PostPosted: Mon 29 Oct 2007, 12:44    Post_subject: RARSA Link
Sub_title: Will give it a try

Greetings,
I went back to the RARSA link posted by Tempestous above. It is starting to sink in. I am going to unblacklist the linux driver and try to get that working first. Go back to the wrapper if I need to, since I know that will work.
Thanks.
tlcstat

PostPosted: Mon 29 Oct 2007, 13:17    Post_subject: Wag with ndisrapper
Sub_title: This looks like a better solution when using ndiswrapper

Greetings,
I went back and tried some of the commands on the link provided by Jonyo "http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22469".

I couldn't get them to work but will try again later. Mean time, I opened the console and typed wag and in two clicks had my wifi up.
type # wag
click on scan
click on Cell0
No need to mess with dhcp or the rest.
Wifi up and running.

Above instructions presume that you have your drivers loaded in ndiswrapper. iwconfig can see your card but you can't connect. And, WAG is installed.
Hopes this helps. I'm going to work on that linux driver now.
Thanks
tlcstat

PostPosted: Mon 29 Oct 2007, 14:18    Post_subject: Dell 1390 Express card working with linux driver BCM43xx
Sub_title: Got it working but still problems sic

Greetings,
I got the Linux driver working using instructions from RARSA however it still wouldn't connect to the router. Same problem as ndiswrapper. I used wag and it worked. So if you want the Linux native driver working do the following. I will fix the remaining problem later.

First goto you Boot Manager under System and unblacklist your bcm43xx driver if it is blacklisted. Then..

1. From the console
# ndiswrapper -r bcmwl5 ; ndiswrapper and Windows driver down

2. from the Connection Manager load the bcm43xx driver. No problem if it loads but doesnt work. you should see the wifi card as eth(n) or wlan(n) if it is loaded.

3. From the Console type the following commands. This presumes that the Access Point is unencrypted.
Ifconfig eth1 up ; eth1 should be replaced with your own wifi
iwconfig eth1 essid linksys ; linksys should be replaced with yours
iwconfig eth1 mode managed
iwconfig eth1 key off ; if encrypted use "key open" and the key

Your card is now loaded

Open the Connection manager click on your wifi card link, then choose "wireless" , click the scan button at the bottom. You should see your access point under essid. Create a profile and save.
You are done with setting up the linux driver. This part should return after a reboot so you won't have to repeat it.
You should now see that if you try to login to the internet your card won't work. So do this
From the console
Type # wag ; This presumes you have wag installed.
Click on Scan
Click on Cell 01
Done, you should now have working card.
If you reboot you have to open Console
1. #modprobe bcm43xx
2. # ifconfig eth1 up ; replace eth1 with your wifi
3. Run the 3 Wag instructions and your card will be back.
I am now a happy puppy.
Thanks
jonyo

PostPosted: Mon 29 Oct 2007, 15:50    Post_subject: Re: RARSA Link
Sub_title: Vague at best for a newbie

Shocked
tlcstat wrote:
Since you probably know something and I know nothing (at this point)

Umm..I have some reading to do..Embarassed to try and figure out all you've done here.. Confused

Nice! Smile
tlcstat

PostPosted: Mon 29 Oct 2007, 22:53    Post_subject: Just about there
Sub_title: won't be long

Greetings,
I'm about to crack this nut. I have some script to write. I'm not used to the Linux bash language. However I am a retired computer consultant and have written script on MS based machines since back in the 80s. Once I get this boot problem solved and the boot script written and figure out how to implement it, I will do the Linux thing and share, so we will all have the solution. Actually this problem is a result of the tightness of the Linux kernel. It does what is does very well, but isn't tolerant of loose processes. Thats what makes it so small and fast. Thing is we can fix this problem. We just need some deliberate effort.
Stay tuned. Might be tomorrow, but probably Wednesday.
Thanks
tlcstat

PostPosted: Wed 31 Oct 2007, 17:44    Post_subject: Problem Solved
Sub_title: Doing write-up stay posted

Greetings,
Sorry about the delay. Took me a couple of days of testing to find the problem with this 1390 driver. I could get the card running but would loose it on reboot. Since I am a newbie with Linux (but not with computers) I had to figure out the boot registry and also learn some scripting. But my solution works. I want the write up to be complete so that the reader doesn't have to go all over the net for more info. I will try and get it done by tomorrow (Nov 1).
Thanks
tlcstat

PostPosted: Wed 31 Oct 2007, 21:40    Post_subject: Wifi startup script working great
Sub_title: more to come

Greetings,
UPDATE
My WIFI startup script is working great after many reboots. As soon as I can get this the instructions written and the script posted, I will start on a script with encryption enabled, and also a roaming Wifi version.
Thanks
Bill C.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot